PDA

View Full Version : Help!!

Mike Way
04-11-2009, 22:26
So here's the deal. Started my "shake down" hike this past Thurs. For those familiar with SNP, started at Simmons Gap and went to High Top hut. Exhausted. Now, get this, couldn't sleep. Next day, hiked 3 miles to Swift Run Gap. It took 3 hrs. to go 3 miles.

Just didn't think I could make it to the next hut, Bear Fence. Called my wife and quit (we live an hr. away). Sorta paniced over not having water if I had to stop before I got to the next spring. Noticed later that I could have found water at a picnic ground. Any way, I was whipped and I've been hiking with weight to train.

Talked to a tru hiker while I was waiting for my wife. He said the SNP was easy. If it was easy, what am I going to do in maine?

Folks, I need some encourgement.

Trail name is now "far enough"

HeartFire
04-11-2009, 22:36
how much weight were you carrying? Often I can't sleep the first night out, so I"m tired the 2nd day, but then sleep well that night, and it's great from then on.
You need to plan better about the water, and not have a panic attack. for your next shake down hike, go with a buddy

Egads
04-11-2009, 22:37
How heavy was your pack?

emerald
04-11-2009, 22:43
He said the SNP was easy. If it was easy, what am I going to do in Maine?

You might give serious consideration to working your way up to some of the more challenging portions gradually. Through hiking isn't the only way to become a 2000 miler.

bullseye
04-11-2009, 22:44
Well, first things first, if you make it to Maine you'll be fine. Lots of folks start the trail in all different levels of fitness. What kind of load were you carrying? Did you eat enough? Did you stay hydrated? If so then you've probably discovered the first thing that separates the Thru's from the coulda beens: it's a mental game. I'm assuming you don't have any medical conditions that you haven't mentioned. If you have a problem physicaly, then you need a doctors advice. If you are physically ok you have to realize that not everyone starts out doing any kind of mileage to brag about. You've already walked further on the AT than most Americans will. Yes, most hikers would probably say that SNP is fairly easy, but not everyone would agree. When you get to Springer who cares how many miles a day you turn out. Are you enjoying the journey? If not it doesn't matter whether you do 1 mile or 21 if you're not enjoying yourself. The mileage comes as you get your trail legs. How far do you have to hike today - Far Enough:D.

Mike Way
04-11-2009, 23:07
I think I was carring a little over 30 lbs. I've cut every thing down including finger nail clippers.

And all my friends work. So no "buddies" to hike with.

By the way, I met only 3 hikers and they were great! Forget their names except "Revolution". Wonderful guy and very encouraging. I didn't understand what folks were saying about trail people until now. If I never do anything else, I will remember this. Thanks guys from Ohio.

far enough

Lugnut
04-11-2009, 23:12
After the first day it's not unusual to be worn out, not hungry and not use the facilities. After that it's okay. Acclimation I guess.

Lilred
04-11-2009, 23:21
Ya, don't let this scare you. I don't sleep very well the first few nights, and I lose my appetite. If you don't eat, you'll tire out easily. What kind of mileage did you do the first day? Ya, hikers say SNP is easy, but that's after hiking 800 miles. And everyone runs out of water sooner or later, it rarely happens twice. This is why it is recommended to do shakedown hikes.

Jester2000
04-11-2009, 23:27
Try to keep in mind that the Thru who said SNP was easy walked there from Georgia. By then he's in shape. You drove there. Trust me, when he started he probably was a bit miserable.

Your body will find its balance once you're out there a while. Lots of people lose their appetites and can't sleep in the beginning. Eventually you fall into a rhythm on the trail. Sleep comes as soon as its dark, the hunger comes back so strong you'll long for the times you weren't hungry, and you're body will be stronger than it's ever been.

You can do it.

You need to believe that, get out there, and stay out long enough to give your body a chance to change.

Get out there and kick ass.

Jester2000
04-11-2009, 23:31
Well, first things first, if you make it to Maine you'll be fine.

Don't assume he's NOBO.

That said, it doesn't matter. Jump in with both feet, Mike!

And if you start to doubt that you can do it, just repeat this to yourself as you're hiking: "The end of the trail will be far enough . . ."

BobTheBuilder
04-12-2009, 00:26
Don't despair, Mike!

I have section hiked, in sequence, from Springer to Damascus, a week or less at a time. I am always starting over again, so I have had all of those experiences several times. Sometimes I fall into the rhythm quickly, sometimes I don't sleep well the whole week. Sometimes the miles come easy even when the terrain is brutral, sometimes easy terrain wears me out and makes me wonder if I'm gonna make the next hill. Sometimes I sleep well, sometimes I do not.

Your experience is not a damnation of your hiking dreams. If anything, the next hike will seem much easier because your memories of the previous one were so tough.

Bronk
04-12-2009, 01:03
By the time you reach the smokies on the AT you will have over 150 miles under your belt, and statistics show it will probably take you almost 3 weeks to get there. You'll be in shape. The stretch from NOC to Fontana Dam will make sure of that.

Water does become more of a worry if you're moving slow...just keep your databook handy and note all the water sources...top off your water bottles every time you pass water...drink water while you are there. In the spring there will be water everywhere you turn almost...even if you only go a couple miles a day you will always be close to water.

Just keep moving forward, even if its only a mile or two a day. This is important in the beginning...you will have days where you don't make much progress...its part of the game.

Don't plan too far ahead. If you plan a week long trip and you have a couple of bad days, you'll beat yourself up over being 20 miles behind. When you make camp, each night after dinner look at your progress for the day. Don't beat yourself up if you didn't make it as far as you thought you would. Its over, its done, you can't change the past. But do re-evaluate where you are and make a realistic plan for the next day. Don't plan more than a day or two ahead...if you do then you'll end up disappointed in yourself a lot. Take things as they come and you'll do just fine.

bullseye
04-12-2009, 03:15
Don't assume he's NOBO.

Yeah right, forgot not everybody goes NOBO:o:-?. No matter, you'll be fine Mike. Like Lone Wolf says, it's only walkin'.;)

Mike Way
04-12-2009, 07:07
Thanks guys! You have been a great help. If I can rearrange a committment, I'll be back hiking on Tues.

"Farenough"

Chenango
04-12-2009, 07:25
Thanks guys! You have been a great help. If I can rearrange a committment, I'll be back hiking on Tues.

"Farenough"

Hiking next Tuesday ... way to go!! Remember, go your own pace! It may be a cliche, but it is true:

Hike your own hike!

Spirit Walker
04-12-2009, 11:51
We'll be in SNP Monday to Wednesday - if we see you, say hi. (Northern SNP doing loops).

Re: sleep - take ibuprofen at night, it helps ease all the little aches and pains so you sleep better.

Re: no energy - sounds like either dehydration or low blood sugar - when you get like that, sit down, eat, drink a lot, maybe stick your feet in some cold water and rest a bit, then move on.

You still have some time to get ready. You have the right idea, get out there and hike as much as possible. Each trip will be a bit easier as your body gets used to the activity.

Mike Way
04-12-2009, 12:07
Spirit Walker, If I can work somethings out, I'll be going north from Swift Run Gap. Staying over near Bearfence Hut and then going toward Big Meadows. Hope to see you.

And I think you've got something there with the dehydration and low blood sugar.

bigcranky
04-12-2009, 16:27
I've had the "no energy" thing a couple of times, and it was due to being dehydrated. You'll need to drink and eat more than you think (drink, especially). If you find that you aren't hungry at night, which is common early in a hike, it helps to have some food that you can eat -- some good gorp, pb&j, *something* that you can eat without cooking that will provide energy for the next day. Gotta feed the machine.

If you haven't done this before, then hiking in the mountains with a pack is very different from training at home. It's far more strenuous, and very few people train for 8-12 hours a day. A 1-hour walk with a pack every night helps, but it's still going to be a major adjustment once you actually hit the trail. Age is a factor, too -- I've seen a huge change in how long it takes me to get back into "trail shape" since I hit my 40s.

Don't give too much credence to the daily mileage figures thrown around this web site. Very few hikers are putting in 15 miles per day from day one. (And that means you may want to think a little more about that hundred mile wilderness to start your hike. The recommended 10 days of food is there for a reason. Being able to do the wilderness in 6 days would be great, but if it were me, I wouldn't plan on that.)

Good luck on the hike this week. You know more about what to expect now. That helps a lot.

Toolshed
04-12-2009, 19:26
MW,
How long has it been since you have been out? There have been periods in the past eight years between having kids and medical issues that I have gone up to 6 months without getting on the trail for an overnight....any trail. and it can feel uncomfortable and even foreign, keeping the stress levels high. some say jump in and others say take it slow. Hoewever you do it, just keep doing it!!

YoungMoose
04-12-2009, 19:30
just keep hiking and you will eventually get into shape. the backpacker just came out with a 4 week fitness plan before a hike. I am planning on doing it becuase i want to lose some weight from what i have gained during the winter

mindi
04-13-2009, 22:13
I hardly slept at all and barely ate the first week. Doing 5 miles damn near killed me, and the first day I did 8 miles I didn't think I was going to even make it to the shelter. I hobbled around terribly in the morning for the first three weeks.

Even after hiking from Georgia, I found the Smokies tough. But by the time I got to VA, I could do a 20 mile day once in a while. I doubt anyone would have thought I could do it if they had seen me in the beginning!

I guess I'm just saying, don't count yourself out yet! You might have to go very slowly, and do really low miles, but you can get yourself up the trail if you just keep plugging along and not worry about keeping up with anyone else or sticking to a schedule.

Good luck!
:) Sugargrits

traildust
04-14-2009, 18:04
slow steady would win the race if it was a race. It is a walk and slow gives you the chance to enjoy what you see. Shelter to shelter in the first days is always a good day. We averaged one mile per hour even after training and working out because that is what we wanted to do in the first weeks. Stay with it.

Engine
04-14-2009, 18:08
It may be something as simple as a mild virus or something as well. Fatigue can come from a lot of causes, so don't get too down. We all have bad days sometimes. :)

bigcranky
04-19-2009, 17:18

"Farenough"

Hey, Mike, did you manage to get back on the trail? How did it go?

Mike Way
04-20-2009, 09:44
bigcranky,

I did finally get out this past Thurs. It went much, much better! Still difficult on the climbs but slept great (took half of a sleeping pill). Went until 2 on Fri. when I had planned to be picked up by my wife at Big Meadows.

My son and I will be back out this wk.end hiking south from Pinnacles Campground to Big Meadows.

That will be my last shakedown hike until I go to Damascus to start my hike.

New trail name-Far'nuff

bigcranky
04-20-2009, 13:33
Glad to hear it. Take your time -- the hills get easier after the first week.

Mags
04-20-2009, 13:49
Mike, you have the right attitude...and that is going to help you more on the trail than any advice on what widget to take, how many miles you should go or where the nearest AYCE buffet may be located (well..that IS more useful than what widget to take. ;) )

Continue to hike and you'll have a memorable AT experience!

Blissful
04-20-2009, 15:56
Have you had a complete physical with bloodwork?

Mike Way
04-20-2009, 16:04
Not for awhile. Three yrs ago I think. I've discussed the hike with my doctor who seems to think I'll be fine.

Maddog
04-20-2009, 16:08
dude, you're 61! take your time and enjoy yourself! slow and steady ill get you there!

FlyPaper
04-20-2009, 16:22
So here's the deal. Started my "shake down" hike this past Thurs. For those familiar with SNP, started at Simmons Gap and went to High Top hut. Exhausted. Now, get this, couldn't sleep. Next day, hiked 3 miles to Swift Run Gap. It took 3 hrs. to go 3 miles.

Just didn't think I could make it to the next hut, Bear Fence. Called my wife and quit (we live an hr. away). Sorta paniced over not having water if I had to stop before I got to the next spring. Noticed later that I could have found water at a picnic ground. Any way, I was whipped and I've been hiking with weight to train.

Talked to a tru hiker while I was waiting for my wife. He said the SNP was easy. If it was easy, what am I going to do in maine?

Folks, I need some encourgement.

Trail name is now "far enough"

I've hiked most of SNP and some other sections. Although the SNP is easy, that 3 miles you're talking about is some of the harder miles in the SNP.

My first section hike I was ready to fake an injury so I could have an excuse to quit. I've found that when you're so tired you feel like you can only walk one more mile that you can actually walk 10.

I would suggest a shorter first day your next trip. If you set out to walk 8 miles and make it, your perspective will be a lot more rosy.

Chaco Taco
04-21-2009, 13:34
First days always the hardest. The first days out of towns on a thruhike, hardest. Take it one day at a time. Dont ever listen to other hikers on the trail. There situation is always different. Each hiker is different. Dont worry about the shape you are in now, it will come on the thru.

Lemni Skate
05-03-2009, 07:02
Just to reiterate what a lot of people are saying. SNP is not easy, it's just easy in relation to the parts south of it and to New England. It's a good challenge for someone who is doing a shakedown or trying to get in trail shape. I've seen plenty of log entries there where thru-hikers were pissed that people had said it would be easy and they were finding it tough.

High Top is indeed one of the toughest parts of SNP.

The second day is often the absolute hardest one for me when I go on a multi-day hike. Usually I hurt somewhere below my hips, usually I don't sleep, usually I don't have any energy, I have to force myself to eat and drink.

Schedules turn the hikes into more stressful events than you intend for them to be. Take a tent (or some sort of sleeping shelter) so that you can stop where you need to, even those shelters can turn your hike into a schedule.

2 miles in a day is 2 more than you would have done at home watching television, if that's all you've got then so it and mark two more miles off the AT (or whatever trail). If you can stay out for a while then you'll start cranking out miles and be so proud of yourself.

Last spring I did a lot of day hikes and a couple overnight shakedowns before my thru hike of the park. The first day I did 11 miles, but I could hardly move. The second day was "cusstacular" as ever slight uphill brought forth mental four letter words. I did 10 miles but I thought it was one of the most miserable days I ever had. I knocked it back to 8 miles the next two days and felt like crap anyway. Day 5 a miracle happened and I actually had energy. The last day in the park (my eighth day) I actually knocked out 18 miles.

This spring I went to Georgia intending to do 11 per day for 5 days, but I hadn't been training and I was out of shape. My long day was 8. I'm still happy I knocked out some more of the trail, but I was reminded that getting in trail shape is something that happens on the trail. I hope I run into you on the trail as I'll be hiking Northern and Central Virginia sections weekends in May before a June/July trip from Harpers Ferry to Duncannon, PA.

By the end of summer I'd like to have the James River to Duncannon in the books.

Lone Wolf
05-03-2009, 07:05
huh? SNP is very easy walkin'

Egads
05-03-2009, 07:30
Mike, we all have good days & some bad ones. Don't pay attention to the sections that others say is easy or hard since it's all relative.

I recommend that you have a physical including a heart plaque scan (costs about $150-200) or stress test to rule out heart disease. Then build your aerobic level with a training program of fast walks, runs, bike rides, and hikes. Find a section of trail with PUDs to hike. This builds up the leg strength. Do something 4-5 days per week and you'll notice a big difference inside of a month.

The main thing is to enjoy the hike.