PDA

View Full Version : 3-Week Section Hike around PA/NY/CT area - suggestions??

amdiv
04-12-2009, 00:33
I'm kicking off my first of 2K miles with a 3week section hike and am taking suggestions on where to plan it. I live in CT but would like to go NOBO from the MD/PA area and I figure I could get a good 250 miles in. Being an AT noob I'm thinking to drop off near Harrisburg PA and "walk home." This ignores all other factors besides averaging 10-14 miles a day and having 3 weeks...

I figure NOBO would help even out the weather and PA would be a flat place to start. Getting to the trail from Harrisburg doesn't seem too bad either...2-5 miles?

Any thoughts on where EXACTLY to start or why my plan is terrible???

sasquatch2014
04-12-2009, 07:49
As a self proclaimed noob you may not know about the dreaded PA rocks. While you are right in that the trail is mostly on ridges in PA there is about an 80 or so mile stretch that has some of the most talked about rocks on the trail. You may want to start with a section that won't have you cursing it with in the week.

Keep in mind that all parts of the trail can have rocky areas but most stop after a bit. Think about jumping on at the Water Gap NJ/PA line and go north from there back into CT. Most of the trail will be pretty clear of blow downs. There will be some rock some good ridge walks a few decent climbs for a noob and just all in all a nice section of trail to cut your teeth on. Plus if you find yourself going slower than you though there are tons of ways for you still to get off the trail and back home easy enough.

Alaskanhkr23
04-12-2009, 12:35
im doing CT to border of VT,hope to see someone on the freakin trail danmit LOL

ki0eh
04-12-2009, 14:31
Delaware Water Gap (DWG) is more accessible by mass transit (http://www.martztrailways.com/from-stroudsburg.asp) than is Duncannon (nothing stops in town; 15 mile hitch/taxi/"gypsy" shuttle from Harrisburg Amtrak; 20 miles from MDT airport aka "HIA" for Harrisburg International Airport). NJ isn't rock-free either and you can start slow to avoid stress fractures and schedule stress. Many like the NJ scenery better than PA but I think that might be a matter of expectation. Take an easy start to a shining finish!

sasquatch2014
04-13-2009, 08:57
If you go north out of the Watergap you can get back into NYC - hence pretty much anywhere else in the world, from NY RT 17, Bear Mt, Rt 9, NY 22. Gets a bit more difficult in CT but as you are from that state you may find bus routes that would take you back to your hometown or get a lift.

warraghiyagey
04-13-2009, 08:59
im doing CT to border of VT,hope to see someone on the freakin trail danmit LOL
You'll see plenty, probably more than you hoped to . . .

sasquatch2014
04-13-2009, 09:15
You'll see plenty, probably more than you hoped to . . .

That depends on when he is going. I think that a lot of folks up north are going to wait for things to get cleared some. The blow downs are pretty thick in some spots of Mass and S Vt. The trail in my area by the NY/CT border has been really quiet. I think it is all the rain that is keeping folks in.

Darwin again
04-13-2009, 15:13
How's that old saying go?
"No matter what you do, the result will be the same."
Start anywhere, though some places are better to start than others.

I found starting on Springer Mountain to be ideal...

But make sure you have plans and options for jumping off trail and catching some recovery days.

Hoop Time
04-16-2009, 20:01
As for accessing the trail from Harrisburg, should you decide on that option, I'd be happy to give you a ride from the train station or airport to any of the nearby trailheads if you should decide to start in the Harrisburg area.

Old Wolf
05-17-2009, 02:34
You could start at Boiling Springs or Duncannon Pa. Duncannon is closer to Harrisburg. Last 16 miles out of Pa into NJ will take you longer then you think.

amdiv
05-20-2009, 00:59
Took your advice and decided to head from the Delaware Water Gap north. I've got a few weeks of vaca coming up so we'll see how it goes. Thanks again for the wise words of wisdom. Will post the results when I get back - wish me luck!

fredmugs
05-25-2009, 21:18
Good luck! The first 40 miles of NJ is just as rocky as PA. Once you get to High Point life will be good.