PDA

View Full Version : Trip suggestions for the middle of the Summer?

dloome
04-12-2009, 02:05
In assembling my hikes for this Summer, I ended up with a chunk of time where I have nothing planned. From late April to mid June I'm thru hiking the Grand Enchantment Trail, then doing some exploring in the gorge of the Little Colorado River. Then beginning @ mid July I'm yo-yoing the Sierra High Route until I have to go back to work 2nd week of August.

So I need a good trip to do from @ Mid June to Mid July. Preferably with little to no people. I'm thinking about hiking along the International Passage / Voyageurs Route from Grand Portage, Minnesota through the Boundary Waters over to Ely, most of which I've done and it was bushwackin' fun. Mosquitos would be bad, but that's expected.

It'll be getting a bit too hot for the desert Southwest, and probably a bit too early in the season for most of the high country in the Rockies and Cascades, so I've been looking at more Eastern stuff, but don't want to redo any of the AT or LT yet. Bike trip, paddle, hike, whatever. What would be good this time of year?

Kirby
04-12-2009, 15:03
You could Kayak/canoe the Maine Islands Trail.

dloome
04-12-2009, 17:00
NICE. I've never heard of this before.

Due to my budget I'm not sure if I could make it all the way to Maine, but from the Maine Islands Trail site I found a website about the Apostle Islands National Lakeshore which looks ridiculously cool and I could access it much more easily since my family lives in Northeastern MN and I could borrow a watercraft and get a ride no problem.

Awesome, this looks like a great option. Thanks for the suggestion Kirby.