Jim Adams
04-12-2009, 17:31
don't

geek

Mags
04-12-2009, 17:52
Before this thread devolves into another shouting match, here is the link that
will probably be the most helpful to you:

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.mqLTIYOwGlF/b.4805495/k.9C34/Hiking_with_Dogs.htm

Jolly Lama
04-12-2009, 17:56
Thanks Jim for nothing looks like you may be one of those unhappy people always looking for a debate, please move on. I will be on the trail with my wife and two dogs on 2010 so you may want to stay home next year. Ali

Jolly Lama
04-12-2009, 18:02
Thanks Mags, great link. Ali

Mags
04-12-2009, 18:05
Hiking with one dog can be hard logistically, making sure you are a responsible dog owner (to you, to your dog and other hikers), etc.

With two dogs, you may find hiking the AT to a bit more difficult than you'd like.

If possible, you'll want to a hike a week or two with both dogs BEFORE hitting the trail. Not only will you get real world experience for backpacking, but you can see for yourself if it is really feasible to hike with two animals, what kind of interaction you'll have with hikers, etc.

I'm not saying don't take your dogs, you just may want to rethink taking them. And nothing can help you better with that decision than some actual backpacking for more than a weekend.

Just something to consider.

Jim Adams
04-12-2009, 18:06
Thanks Jim for nothing looks like you may be one of those unhappy people always looking for a debate, please move on. I will be on the trail with my wife and two dogs on 2010 so you may want to stay home next year. Ali

No, not at all. I love the trail and I love dogs but I have thru hiked the AT twice and have seen alot of dogs out on the trail. There have only been a handful of hikers out there that know how to correctly hike with their dog and not endanger the well being of the animal. Bill Irwin was one of them as well a CrumbSnatcher and Wicked. They actually took better care of their dogs than they did themselves. It is a MAJOR committment to hike with an animal and give it the total care and dedication that it needs. If you decide to take your dog please learn what it takes to keep it healthy out there. You will be amazed at what it takes to keep yourself going at times...the dog doesn't have a choice.
Good luck on your hike.

geek

Jolly Lama
04-12-2009, 18:08
Thanks Mags I have over a thousand nights with them on the Pacific coast but the east coast is a mystery to me. I am just looking for tips and hazards that may be different from what I'm used to. Maybe there is a book out there on dags and the AT. Ali

Jolly Lama
04-12-2009, 18:14
My bad jim, thats why I am here hoping to meet a few who have successfully done this with dogs. My first choice would be to leave them with a friend or family but we are planning a super slow hike and 5-6 months away from them is alot. Ali

Lone Wolf
04-12-2009, 18:22
I am looking to get more info on thru hiking with my dog. Ali

i can tell you most places in towns won't allow them and most dogs never make the whole trip

Jolly Lama
04-12-2009, 18:29
I heard most people dont finish it also. :) Ali

superman
04-12-2009, 18:39
It's definately different hiking with a dog. My hike was better for having Winter with me. Before doing it you should have a lot of information.

Jolly Lama
04-12-2009, 18:41
How did you approach river crossings?

sticks&stones
04-12-2009, 18:46
No, not at all. I love the trail and I love dogs but I have thru hiked the AT twice and have seen alot of dogs out on the trail. There have only been a handful of hikers out there that know how to correctly hike with their dog and not endanger the well being of the animal. Bill Irwin was one of them as well a CrumbSnatcher and Wicked. They actually took better care of their dogs than they did themselves. It is a MAJOR committment to hike with an animal and give it the total care and dedication that it needs. If you decide to take your dog please learn what it takes to keep it healthy out there. You will be amazed at what it takes to keep yourself going at times...the dog doesn't have a choice.
Good luck on your hike.

geek

Bill Erwin didn't endanger his dog? You can't be serious. He was blind, his dog was a working dog, not a house pet. His dog got a 2k ass kicking.

Jolly Lama
04-12-2009, 19:03
I dont know many dogs that would complain about being on the trail all day. 20 miles a day is nothing to a dog. I take my dog on 20-30 mile bike rides and she must tripple my mileage. If I even touch my running shoes pack or bike she goes friggin bezerk. My dogs are begging for a 2000 mile ass kicking. :) Ali

Lone Wolf
04-12-2009, 19:08
I dont know many dogs that would complain about being on the trail all day. 20 miles a day is nothing to a dog. I take my dog on 20-30 mile bike rides and she must tripple my mileage. If I even touch my running shoes pack or bike she goes friggin bezerk. My dogs are begging for a 2000 mile ass kicking. :) Ali

we'll see if you sing that tune if and when you make it to new england

Jolly Lama
04-12-2009, 19:10
I'd like to keep this a positive post. Please save all negitive posts it's simply a waste of time. Ali

Lone Wolf
04-12-2009, 19:13
I'd like to keep this a positive post. Please save all negitive posts it's simply a waste of time. Ali

it ain't negative at all. the AT beats up dogs. i know what i'm talking about. just the truth

Jolly Lama
04-12-2009, 19:17
How? treach me then. I'd like to benefit from you knowlege. My dog averages 20 miles per day 5 days per week on the trail. What is it about the AT that is so different from any other trail. Ali

Roland
04-12-2009, 19:17

You ask for information and then dismiss as negative, anyone who offers ideas that differ from your own.

bigcranky
04-12-2009, 19:19

Um, that's not how this works. You asked for more information about hiking the AT with dogs. Some of that information is bound to be negative.

I love dogs. I love to hike. I understand that most dog problems are owner problems. If your dogs are extremely well behaved, and you keep them leashed, and don't try to sleep in shelters or most hostels, and you pay very close attention to their needs, that's great -- have a good hike and enjoy.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of dogs and owners out there who give the good dogs and good owners a bad rap. That's all.

Alligator
04-12-2009, 19:20
Thread moved into Dogs on the AT.

Jolly Lama
04-12-2009, 19:25
You ask for information and then dismiss as negative, anyone who offers ideas that differ from your own.

Roland saing a trail beats up dogs is not and answer. There was no information given. Does the trail not beat up people? I was clearly asking for information from people who have hiked this trail with thier dogs. Have you? If so I'd love to hear more. If not I'd prefer not to hear more. Pretty simple huh. :) Ali

kanga
04-12-2009, 19:39
i hike with my dogs. all 4 of them. sometimes all at the same time. the trail seems to beat me up more than them. wish i had 4leg drive. you can't even touch gear at my house without them jumping over each other to get to the door. my blue-heeler had to go home at the dam and daddy said she cried the whole time she was gone until he put her back in the car for the trip to the other side. but if they didn't want to go i wouldn't take them. mr bud's getting old and he thinks he still wants to go but he's way tired after 10 miles, so i only take him on dayhikes or overnighters now. ask your dog what he/she wants. doesn't matter what anybody else thinks.

bigcranky
04-12-2009, 19:50
Dude, your original post gave no information. None. Nothing about your superdogs doing amazing mileage every day for thousands of miles out West. Nothing about your own hiking experience, or your experience caring for your dogs. You've been dribbling out this info in a highly negative way after every response.

There are plenty of people who thru-hike the AT with their dogs. So it's certainly possible. The dogs I've met on the trail range from some amazing animals with multiple thru-hikes, to the miserable, badly dehydrated Golden Retriever I met last month, limping along the trail behind its young owner on a warm early spring day. Its pads were bloody. I've met other dogs who peed in the springs, rolled their muddy bodies over my sleeping bag in a shelter, even one who sat at the bottom of the ladder at the Gooch Mountain shelter and growled at anyone who wanted to come down (that was a looong night. I was tempted to pee on his owner from above.:rolleyes:) I've met owners out looking, desperately, for their dogs who have run off while on a day or weekend hike.

So you show up here, ask about thru-hiking with your dog, with no additional information, and you could be *any* of those people and *any* of those dogs.

If your dogs have solid hiking experience (and it sounds like they do), and they are always under your control, then a thru-hike is certainly possible. It'll be more difficult with the dogs than without them, but I understand not wanting to be away from them for 6 months. So try to relax, have an open mind, check out the threads in the dog forum, and enjoy.

kanga
04-12-2009, 20:04
Dude, your original post gave no information. None. Nothing about your superdogs doing amazing mileage every day for thousands of miles out West. Nothing about your own hiking experience, or your experience caring for your dogs. You've been dribbling out this info in a highly negative way after every response.

There are plenty of people who thru-hike the AT with their dogs. So it's certainly possible. The dogs I've met on the trail range from some amazing animals with multiple thru-hikes, to the miserable, badly dehydrated Golden Retriever I met last month, limping along the trail behind its young owner on a warm early spring day. Its pads were bloody. I've met other dogs who peed in the springs, rolled their muddy bodies over my sleeping bag in a shelter, even one who sat at the bottom of the ladder at the Gooch Mountain shelter and growled at anyone who wanted to come down (that was a looong night. I was tempted to pee on his owner from above.:rolleyes:) I've met owners out looking, desperately, for their dogs who have run off while on a day or weekend hike.

So you show up here, ask about thru-hiking with your dog, with no additional information, and you could be *any* of those people and *any* of those dogs.

If your dogs have solid hiking experience (and it sounds like they do), and they are always under your control, then a thru-hike is certainly possible. It'll be more difficult with the dogs than without them, but I understand not wanting to be away from them for 6 months. So try to relax, have an open mind, check out the threads in the dog forum, and enjoy.

that's circumstantial. it would be more difficult for us to be away from each other than for me to pack more efficiently. if you already have a dog and know it's needs and you already hike and know the needs for a hike, then i don't see any difficulty. i have no problem getting hitches, sometimes have gotten them before dogless hikers. never had a problem in town. find a place that allows dogs to stay. drop your gear at your room and let your dog take a nap while you go to the store/laundry/buffet.

*this is assuming you have a behaving dog and you're not an idiot. (and by you, i mean any hiker dog owner. - i'm not attacking anybody - official wb posting disclaimer)

sticks&stones
04-12-2009, 20:35

Maybe I saw you and your dogs driving a bicycle while I was hiking over a road crossing on the AT.

superman
04-12-2009, 21:19
I'm a dog person but this is a stupid thread that isn't going any place but round and round.

Jim Adams
04-13-2009, 01:51
Bill Erwin didn't endanger his dog? You can't be serious. He was blind, his dog was a working dog, not a house pet. His dog got a 2k ass kicking.

Did you do any hiking with Bill?:-?
Bill was always thinking about and caring for Orient everyday. He also had Orient checked on a regular schedule, weekly if I remember correctly by a vet. When Orient needed rest he got rest. With all of the care taken to assure Orient's health, the vet still found that the 10 month thru hike put about 6 years of wear on Orient's pads. If you hike with a dog you have to consider the dog first always. They are smart but they are not the ones making the decisions!

geek

Two Speed
04-13-2009, 08:18
I'm going point out that this thread has been moved to the "Dogs" forum, where the rules are slightly different. For those of you who haven't read the sticky (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=16259) please take a look at them. Posts preceding the move to this forum will be allowed to stand; they were made in accordance with the rules in force for the forum they were posted in.

Anything after the move is subject to the rules in the sticky and I reserve the right to do a slash 'n' trash edit job, so please keep it civil. Some of y'all that know me know that on occasion I can be a Class One Butthead, but I really don't feel the need to emphasize that or add luster to my already shining reputation.

In spite of that I'm going to point out that the original post was a request for information, and some of it will be negative. That's the way the cookie crumbles. The good part is I see several very experienced hikers posting, so there should be some good info shared before this winds down.

Jolly Lama, good luck on your hike.

Rockhound
04-13-2009, 08:39
I love dogs and have seen about 12 dogs on the trail this year. They were all what I would call good trail dogs save two. There was a bloodhound that would bark and howl almost non stop and a 16 month old with a lot of puppy left in him. Running all over, jumping up on people, would not listen to his owner whenever he chose to control him, (not that it happened often). The animals of course are not to blame. That rests with the owners. All dog owners just love their pets and tend to be biased when assessing whether or not their dog would make a good trail dog. Try to look at it through the eyes of somebody who dislikes dogs on the trail. Would your pet change how he feels or would they just reinforce his beliefs?

Jim Adams
04-13-2009, 08:53
I love dogs and have seen about 12 dogs on the trail this year. They were all what I would call good trail dogs save two. There was a bloodhound that would bark and howl almost non stop and a 16 month old with a lot of puppy left in him. Running all over, jumping up on people, would not listen to his owner whenever he chose to control him, (not that it happened often). The animals of course are not to blame. That rests with the owners. All dog owners just love their pets and tend to be biased when assessing whether or not their dog would make a good trail dog. Try to look at it through the eyes of somebody who dislikes dogs on the trail. Would your pet change how he feels or would they just reinforce his beliefs?

RockHound,
I too witnessed an owner allowing her dog to piss and lay in the water source this year at Low Gap shelter. She was so happy that he had found a place to cool off!
VERY GOOD POST!

geek

mudhead
04-13-2009, 09:11
Roland tends to give good, level responses.

You may be pissing into the wind.

Two Speed
04-13-2009, 09:23
Less slamming, more helpful info, please.

sheepdog
04-13-2009, 09:31
I would rather be a dog on the trail, than a dog left in a kennel. Train the dog well. Take care of it. Have a good hike.

superman
04-13-2009, 10:01
I would rather be a dog on the trail, than a dog left in a kennel. Train the dog well. Take care of it. Have a good hike.

I agree completely.

kanga
04-13-2009, 10:02
thirded

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.

warraghiyagey
04-13-2009, 10:05
fourthded. . .

superman
04-13-2009, 10:06
thirded

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.

Oh crap, does this mean that size does matter?:)

kanga
04-13-2009, 10:09
apparently

superman
04-13-2009, 10:16
So when the thread is moved to the dog stuff, yet it continues to get posted to here, do the posts here still count?:-?

warraghiyagey
04-13-2009, 10:29
So when the thread is moved to the dog stuff, yet it continues to get posted to here, do the posts here still count?:-?
Yes but you have to multiply by 7. . .

CrumbSnatcher
04-13-2009, 10:48
I am looking to get more info on thru hiking with my dog. Ali
how old are the two dogs?
will they be carrying a pack?
how long of a thruhike?
will they be leashed while hiking?
do you plan on tenting all the time or ?

leeki pole
04-13-2009, 10:53
No, this is a very thoughtful question. I have pondered over this for a couple of years. I have four dogs, two labs, a mountain feist and a miniature dachshund. No way the mini would make it. I would think that the Labs could, but what if one got hurt, that's 80 pounds+ to carry out. Plus they go through about 20 pounds of food a week. The feist, at about 15 pounds and a terrier breed, yes. She could hike 30 miles a day, heck she's a Katrina rescue that found her way to us (that's 300 miles). But it does become a logistical nightmare, food, lodging, the Smokies, SNP, Baxter, other hikers, meds. I love dogs but the more I think about it, I'd say no. Leave them with a trusted caregiver, not in a kennel, though.

superman
04-13-2009, 11:02
All of those logistical things aren't as bad as you think. Even hitch hiking is easier with a dog. The worst part for me was the jerk around crap with the kennel Winter stayed in as I hiked the Smokies. If I had it to do over I would look for a route around the Smokies.

Jolly Lama
04-13-2009, 11:22
They are 7 and 8, ad one year for a 2010 hike. One is a brittany and one is a Jack both friendly and trail wise. I will more than likely be carring all the food for them. I have a sub 10 lb base weight and a climbing pack designed for loads around thirty pounds. Lizzies pack will be even lighter than mine. We won't be using the shelters. My real concern is water holes. We live in the PNW so water is everywhere and the dogs just drink as they please. On the AT keeping the dogs from entering the water holes and springs will be a challange. They hike off leash where it is safe and on leash where it is law. They have crossed some major rivers but they are getting up in age and that is another issue. They have section hiked the PCT from Mexico to WA and done fine. Chloe was born and raised at about 7000' and spend a great deal over 10,000. So thats not an issue. Bears and lions dont bother the dogs but fleas ticks and mosqitos do. This will be the longest thu hike for me by a large margin so on going dog care will be my first priority. Ali

superman
04-13-2009, 11:31
No, this is a very thoughtful question. I have pondered over this for a couple of years. I have four dogs, two labs, a mountain feist and a miniature dachshund. No way the mini would make it. I would think that the Labs could, but what if one got hurt, that's 80 pounds+ to carry out. Plus they go through about 20 pounds of food a week. The feist, at about 15 pounds and a terrier breed, yes. She could hike 30 miles a day, heck she's a Katrina rescue that found her way to us (that's 300 miles). But it does become a logistical nightmare, food, lodging, the Smokies, SNP, Baxter, other hikers, meds. I love dogs but the more I think about it, I'd say no. Leave them with a trusted caregiver, not in a kennel, though.

My guess is that less than 20% of the dogs will make it to katahdin which is similar to people. The difference is if you start with another person who can't make it you can hike on while that person goes home. If your dog can't make it you have to take your dog home and take care of it. It's not rocket science to thru hike with a dog but it is a different hike than the people without does have. You can't assume anything with your dog...you have to pay attention and be in tune with your dog. You can't pull your dog along to keep up because you made freinds with some other hikers. Consider it not as a thru hike but just going for a long walk with your best freind. IMHO

CrumbSnatcher
04-13-2009, 11:33
My guess is that less than 20% of the dogs will make it to katahdin which is similar to people. The difference is if you start with another person who can't make it you can hike on while that person goes home. If your dog can't make it you have to take your dog home and take care of it. It's not rocket science to thru hike with a dog but it is a different hike than the people without does have. You can't assume anything with your dog...you have to pay attention and be in tune with your dog. You can't pull your dog along to keep up because you made freinds with some other hikers. Consider it not as a thru hike but just going for a long walk with your best freind. IMHO
good post superman!!!!!!!!!

superman
04-13-2009, 11:59
They are 7 and 8, ad one year for a 2010 hike. One is a brittany and one is a Jack both friendly and trail wise. I will more than likely be carring all the food for them. I have a sub 10 lb base weight and a climbing pack designed for loads around thirty pounds. Lizzies pack will be even lighter than mine. We won't be using the shelters. My real concern is water holes. We live in the PNW so water is everywhere and the dogs just drink as they please. On the AT keeping the dogs from entering the water holes and springs will be a challange. They hike off leash where it is safe and on leash where it is law. They have crossed some major rivers but they are getting up in age and that is another issue. They have section hiked the PCT from Mexico to WA and done fine. Chloe was born and raised at about 7000' and spend a great deal over 10,000. So thats not an issue. Bears and lions dont bother the dogs but fleas ticks and mosqitos do. This will be the longest thu hike for me by a large margin so on going dog care will be my first priority. Ali

It sounds to me like your plan is unlikely to work out. The AT is not like the PCT or the CDT. The AT is a people hike...lots of people. You're not going to like hiking with four dogs on leashes and you can't control four dogs hiking off leash. If you go to the trail with the attitude of not caring about what any of the other hikers think you won't have a fun time. You need to avoid shelters and I recommend tents with dogs. Frontline for fleas and ticks. They tend to sleep better and not alarm when game walks by. Folks really get pissed when dogs drink and bathe in water sources. I trained Winter to wait to drink until given the command. That is a problem when there are other dogs that aren't trained to wait. Carrying all the food is admirable, ouch. You won't see any bears or much wild life with four dogs. You don't have any serious water fording until Maine and I don't think you’ll see Maine. The AT is not you and your dogs on some remote trail...there will be people; if your dogs diminish their hike then you have a failed hike.

superman
04-13-2009, 12:03
good post superman!!!!!!!!!

CrumbSnatcher what you and Bear did is legendary. What do you think of hiking with four dogs?

kanga
04-13-2009, 12:04
no offense, but physically speaking, i would say that the dogs, especially the larger brittany, will be too old to hold up well for a thru. 3 or 4 is the best physical shape for them. 8 & 9 yr old dogs would be pushing it more than a bit. i would love to tell you differently since i can't imagine hiking without my dogs, but i think it would be best for them not to go. maybe they can section? take them the first month, then have a friend take them for a month or so, etc?

kanga
04-13-2009, 12:04
CrumbSnatcher what you and Bear did is legendary. What do you think of hiking with four dogs?
i think they've only got two. i have four that i hike with. would never attempt to take more than one on a thru though.

Jolly Lama
04-13-2009, 12:08
Great post. I dont know much about how most dogs are raised as Chole was my first dog. I wasnt a dog person till I adopted her from a rescue. Being raised in the woods in Tahoe they have never had fences so they have lived a free range life cohabitating with the wild life. I never leave them alone. They go to work on an indian reservation and are free to roam and play all day. they get about 5 big hikes a week and seem to be as strong as a dog can be. I love watching them play with the eagles. Chloe will chase an eagle till it flys away then it will swoop back at her and buzz her. They do this for hours on end. The other day we must have had a hundred eagles on the beach playing with the dogs and us. Esme at 20 lbs was taken by an eagle when she was young but got away with only some huge puncture wounds but still likes to play with them. I think the fact that they spend more time in the wild than at home has helped them adopt very well to trail life. The only time I have ever seen them suffer is with Northern Ca mosqutos and that is one of my huge issues with takeing them on such a long hike. Ali

superman
04-13-2009, 12:08
i think they've only got two. i have four that i hike with. would never attempt to take more than one on a thru though.

Oops. (this was my message but it was too short).:)

CrumbSnatcher
04-13-2009, 12:17

i'm a little confused i thought he was hiking with two(2) dogs. i only have experience with one dog,but with two humans hiking i thought it would be good if each of the two humans each sorta watched out for one dog each while hiking?

Two Speed
04-13-2009, 12:19
Based on my limited experience, yeah, it works out a whole lot better if there are two humans. That way if one hiker needs to go where dogs aren't allowed the other one can keep an eye on the dog(s).

Jolly Lama
04-13-2009, 12:21
Yes two dogs two humans. :) Ali

CrumbSnatcher
04-13-2009, 12:25
[quote=Jolly Lama;820553]Yes two dogs two humans. :) Ali[/quote
off leash how far ahead of you would you say your dogs get from you. it was so much easier after the first thruhike i knew what was around most corners! trail wise. animal encounters are a different ballgame!

cowboy nichols
04-13-2009, 12:31
Be very aware of lyme disease on the eastern trails,it does infect dogs. The well behaved owners and their dogs do fine. Avoid the rude crude . Happy hiking.

CrumbSnatcher
04-13-2009, 12:37
Be very aware of lyme disease on the eastern trails,it does infect dogs. The well behaved owners and their dogs do fine. Avoid the rude crude . Happy hiking.
this is true get the vaccination for this and keep them on a regiment monthly dose of flee and tick control like frontline. and you'll be fine

Jolly Lama
04-13-2009, 12:45
What type of wild life sould I expect? The small dog stays at my side always while the big one scouts the way. Ali

CrumbSnatcher
04-13-2009, 13:09
What type of wild life sould I expect? The small dog stays at my side always while the big one scouts the way. Ali
will your dogs chase or stand thier ground if they encounter wildlife? you might not see much,but your dogs might encounter skunks,porky's,snake's. there were times me and my dog would turn a corner, and walked right up to bears only 20 feet away. she would freeze next to me. would your dogs listen 100% or chase? will your dogs stay on the path? sometimes the trail turns a sharpe corner with big drops, don't want them running off down the trail and falling. after my first hike i was more comfortable knowing where the roads and such were at! how much do your dogs weigh? can you carry them if needed,there are some very hairy descents that are very tricky even for a 4 wheel drive dog.

Jolly Lama
04-13-2009, 13:17
I would worry more about skunks that bears. I might have to keep her on a long leash. If it runs she will chase it. I can carry them both but they are pretty used to tecnical scrambles. I have some new information that My inlaws migh watch the dogs for all or part of the hike. Maybe I can just have them do serveral sections. Ali

CrumbSnatcher
04-13-2009, 13:37
[quote=Jolly Lama;820622]I would worry more about skunks that bears
exactly! and porky too, ever seen a dog quilled not pretty. you live in bama? it takes most hikers 17-19 days to reach fontana(smokies) you could start the hike with the dogs and try it out?

Jolly Lama
04-13-2009, 13:42
Been there and done that with the Porky, I didnt even know we had them in Wa but it sucked. We are negotiating with family to watch them part time or be on emergency alert incase it turns out to be too much for the dogs. Im the lucky one, Lizzie is strong as an ox and can short rope my crusty butt if need be. :)

CrumbSnatcher
04-13-2009, 13:48
Been there and done that with the Porky, I didnt even know we had them in Wa but it sucked. We are negotiating with family to watch them part time or be on emergency alert incase it turns out to be too much for the dogs. Im the lucky one, Lizzie is strong as an ox and can short rope my crusty butt if need be. :)
no matter what takes place have a great hike and let me know if i can help in anyway?

bigcranky
04-13-2009, 14:00
Wildlife: Deer are plentiful, bears and skunks are around but you won't always see them. Moose up north. Coyotes. We met this guy (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=27526&catid=member&imageuser=266) on the trail in central Virginia. Copperheads and timber rattlers are occasionally found in the middle of the trail warming themselves. Escaped/lost hunting dogs are fairly common.

Nothing to really worry about with your dogs unless they would get into it with any of the above. Doesn't sound like it from your description. (Though I'd be wary of letting the large dog scout so far ahead I couldn't see him.)

Jolly Lama
04-13-2009, 14:18
I agree on the leash thing, we have started training her on a leash. Ali

SteveJ
04-13-2009, 18:08
You know, I've just got to say that this thread provides a lot of justification for admin's decision to have a dog forum with different rules. Someone with a lot of experience with hiking with dogs, but little experience hiking with dogs in the East comes here asking for advice. In the General forum, he's told by most, "don't do it, you don't have a chance." The thread is moved to the dog forum, we get a little more information about the OP and his dogs, and he is given advice about what wouldn't work on the AT, the things to look out for, and he appears to listen and learn.

Great job, guys!

Have a great hike, Ali!

Jolly Lama
04-13-2009, 18:12
Thanks steve and all who helped here and through PM's. This is a great place with great people and info. Ali

leeki pole
04-16-2009, 17:57
Something that hasn't been mentioned, though I think it's worthwhile is are your dogs neutered/spayed? All mine are except my oldest Lab and he goes a bit nutso when he catches the scent. I've had to leash him on the back 40 after chasing him down this spring a mile from the house while he was out on the prowl. That might not be a good option if you're out on the trail. Funny, I think it was a fox (yes guys a real red fox, not what you think) he was after, now that could be an interesting mix.

Lemni Skate
04-17-2009, 07:09
I have run into dogs who sat patiently at the side of the shelter waiting their turn for food and who came to you when called but left you alone otherwise. I have met dogs who kept the whole shelter entertained by doing tricks. I have seen healthy dogs carrying packs of their own clearly under the control of their owner. These dogs are always fun to encounter on the trail.

Dogs are definitely on the trail in SNP where they are "supposed" to be on a leash. I have had people's big dogs on the trail block my path aggressively, I have had a pair of (lost) dogs stalk me on the trail hoping I would give them a morsel of food. I have had a dog, not on a leash, literally sniffing my butt while I hiked while his owner was about a 100 yards back doing nothing to control his dog. I have had a hike aborted when a pack of three dogs blocked my way with death in their eyes. I have seen dogs with bloody paws and cuts and I've smelled one that had lost an encounter with a skunk.

The problem is that only one in four encounters I have with dogs fall into the first category (probably I don't encounter or remember the good owners as often because they are good owners). The other problem is that the owners of the second category of dogs all think they have dogs in the first category.

leeki pole
04-17-2009, 09:48
After owning dogs for 45 years, I can tell you, you never remember a good owner or dog, only the bad ones. And really, there are no bad dogs, just bad humans. Just saying.

davian
04-17-2009, 11:17
i plan on taking my dog on the at as well here in june. we have hiked together on many trails and she is more than up for the at.

TD55
04-17-2009, 11:28
I always had to carry a larger tent than I would have preferred. Always have had large dogs. Never really figured out a better way for biting bug protection. Your dog can have a bad nite if he or she has to spend the nite unprotected.
Maybe someone has some better solutions for skeeters and such?

Ladytrekker
04-17-2009, 13:15
I am a dog lover, so anyone that wants to hike with dogs I am all for it and would be one of the passer bys that would stop and talk to them, pet them, etc. But come camp time I am tolerant to a degree, don't want them up in my food, peeing on my pack and tent or stepping in their business. I have read alot of journals lately with this all happening to people along the trail. As long as you are responsible and the dog does not take away from another's persons journey, go for it.

Also, please take care to watch how much your dog can handle. The dog's body language will have to do since they cannot tell you their paws hurt, their cold, too hot, thirsty. I have seen dogs on trails that the owners push way to hard and it is sad for me to see it. But a dog just wants to be with you and a happy dog is the best dog. Happy hiking and tail wagging along the way.

RiverWarriorPJ
04-17-2009, 13:32
..if it wasn't 4 my pup.....i would never have a pillow..(or heat)..

Ladytrekker
04-17-2009, 14:12
..if it wasn't 4 my pup.....i would never have a pillow..(or heat)..

Thats a great looking dog, is he a pit, almost looks like a combo of pit and bull dog. My nephew is a 80 lb pit bull I take care of all the time a great dog and so loveable. My personal dog is a 4 lb chihuahua, if I hiked with her I would have to carry her, but she is one of the loves of my life right now. gotta love em.

RiverWarriorPJ
04-18-2009, 06:03
Thats a great looking dog, is he a pit, almost looks like a combo of pit and bull dog. My nephew is a 80 lb pit bull I take care of all the time a great dog and so loveable. My personal dog is a 4 lb chihuahua, if I hiked with her I would have to carry her, but she is one of the loves of my life right now. gotta love em.

..thnx....just a mutt rescued from animal control, no 1 had a clue what breed he is, including the folks who turned him in cause they couldn't control him..lol..why do people like that get a pet..??..

RiverWarriorPJ
04-18-2009, 06:19
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/1/1/1/7/z_873558.jpg (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=18242&original=1&c=member&imageuser=11117)

peanuts
04-18-2009, 08:14
i say he's pitbull/boxer mix. great looking dog!!!

RiverWarriorPJ
04-18-2009, 11:00
..Zeus sez thnx P-Nut..

David Ramsden
04-19-2009, 15:33
I've been a life-long dog owner and AT hiker and I can tell you from experience that it needs to be a very 'special' dog. Growing up we found a feral dog in the ditch who I now think may have been part Carolina/Am Dingo. He went with me everywhere and once I got a drivers' license we hiked most of the back-trails in SNP together. He never had a problem and to this day he has been the smartest dog I've ever owned. But, about 8 years ago I took my hardy black lab out for what was supposed to be two weeks on back trails. She been out with me before without any problems but, on the morning of day 4 she refused to go any further. I examined her and her foot pads were raw and bleeding. I felt just awful. I rested her for a day, then had to carry her (plus my pack and her's) for about six miles to the road; hitch back to my car and take her home. Be very careful. I would recomend taking them for several long 'test' runs before attempting it and have a good 'pick-up' plan if they can't make it.

David Ramsden
04-19-2009, 15:36
I've been a life-long dog owner and AT hiker and I can tell you from experience that it needs to be a very 'special' dog. Growing up we found a feral dog in the ditch who I now think may have been part Carolina/Am Dingo. He went with me everywhere and once I got a drivers' license we hiked most of the back-trails in SNP together. He never had a problem and to this day he has been the smartest dog I've ever owned. But, about 8 years ago I took my hardy black lab out for what was supposed to be two weeks on back trails. She been out with me before without any problems but, on the morning of day 4 she refused to go any further. I examined her and her foot pads were raw and bleeding. I felt just awful. I rested her for a day, then had to carry her (plus my pack and her's) for about six miles to the road; hitch back to my car and take her home. Be very careful. I would recomend taking them for several long 'test' runs before attempting it and have a good 'pick-up' plan if they can't make it.

Nina
04-21-2009, 20:07
WOW ! I had no idea there was such a big dog debate out there. What are some examples of problems people have when someone has a dog with them, I'm trying to understand what happens with this.( I have no experience with long distance)

healthymom
04-22-2009, 14:30
Hi All!
I'm really glad for this thread. Thank you!
I have a question. My son and I will be thruhiking in '11. We are both life-long dog lovers. We are in the unique (or maybe not) situation of getting a new dog in the next couple of months, probably the middle of May.
I have seriously contemplated the idea of having a trail dog for a long time. If we get a puppy now, we'll have about 22 months of training time before we leave. My son and I are doing lots of short and shakedown hikes to prep.
OK, the question is what kind of dog would make the best trail dog?
I have always preferred largish (60-90 lb), short-haired mixed breeds. We usually pick up strays or go to the humane society when we have a dog-sized hole in our lives. I'm thinking a trail dog might need to be smaller, in the 40-50 lb range?
Suggestions? Thoughts?
Looking forward to feedback!
Dee

superman
04-22-2009, 15:42
Hi All!
I'm really glad for this thread. Thank you!
I have a question. My son and I will be thruhiking in '11. We are both life-long dog lovers. We are in the unique (or maybe not) situation of getting a new dog in the next couple of months, probably the middle of May.
I have seriously contemplated the idea of having a trail dog for a long time. If we get a puppy now, we'll have about 22 months of training time before we leave. My son and I are doing lots of short and shakedown hikes to prep.
OK, the question is what kind of dog would make the best trail dog?
I have always preferred largish (60-90 lb), short-haired mixed breeds. We usually pick up strays or go to the humane society when we have a dog-sized hole in our lives. I'm thinking a trail dog might need to be smaller, in the 40-50 lb range?
Suggestions? Thoughts?
Looking forward to feedback!
Dee

I've heard so many opinions about this and everyone has a favorite breed. My personal favorite is German Shepherds. I think the real thing is that it depends on the individual dog just as it depends on the individual human. Most people don't succeed and most dogs don't succeed in hiking the entire AT. There is an intangible. Some of the most unlikely people and dogs succeed while those who you would expect to have an advantage don't succeed. If it were me, I would take a good long look at the parents. I'd want an intelligent, mild temperament and physically fit parents. I'd start training the dog as soon as it can accept it. You must have a clear idea of what behavior you want from your dog on the AT. Above everything, the dog MUST be socialized to all people and all other animals.:-?

Two Speed
04-22-2009, 15:48
healthymom, I've got an Irish Wolfhound/Schnauzer mix I'll loan ya for a month or two.

Just kidding. I think. :-?

berninbush
04-22-2009, 17:25
I've got an Irish Wolfhound/Schnauzer mixThe first question that comes to mind is "How did THAT happen?"

Then again, I've heard of St. Bernard/ Chihuahua mixes....

leeki pole
04-22-2009, 17:42
The first question that comes to mind is "How did THAT happen?"

Then again, I've heard of St. Bernard/ Chihuahua mixes....
Nah, I don't buy that....come on Tex, you can do better....;)

Blissful
04-22-2009, 22:16
Saw a NOBO out there last week- Jolly Rancher with his yellow lab Harvey. Good trained dog makes all the difference.

Two Speed
04-23-2009, 07:58
The first question that comes to mind is "How did THAT happen?"I dunno, I wasn't there for the "festivities." I'm not even sure that he's an Irish Wolfhound/Schnauzer mix, but that's what the vet says.

Got a coupla (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=22453&catid=member&imageuser=1339) pics (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=24087&catid=member&imageuser=1339) in my gallery so you can judge for yourself if that sounds about right.

David Ramsden
04-23-2009, 19:41
I think you're on the right track with a 'healthy short-hair mutt', and the only disadvantage to a 60-90 lb dog is that you (or they) will have to carry more food and water. But the age should be just right as long as they are well socialized and heed. -- David