PDA

View Full Version : remove the cloth straps without damaging hiking poles ????

Crazy_Al
04-12-2009, 20:09
I have Peak Ultra-Light Compact Carbon Fiber Trekking poles.
I want to remove the cloth straps.
I do not use the straps and they are annoying.
How do I remove the cloth straps without damaging the poles ????

warraghiyagey
04-12-2009, 20:16
Huh??? Are you serious?? Just do what you think someone who wanted them off would do. . . that's the correct way to do it.. . .:confused::)

:-?

Sly
04-12-2009, 20:21
I have Peak Ultra-Light Compact Carbon Fiber Trekking poles.
I want to remove the cloth straps.
I do not use the straps and they are annoying.
How do I remove the cloth straps without damaging the poles ????

You can just cut them off. However, I suggest you try to get used them. Held properly the straps and your arms take weight off your knees.

Here's a Youtube. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skXVMA5nShA

Elder
04-12-2009, 20:32
The straps, the baskets, all part of the design.
Not just style...function.
Learn to use them correctly, use less energy and be safer.

Cut off your shoulder straps first. :D

hammock engineer
04-12-2009, 20:43
For what's it's worth I cut the straps of my leki's. Never seemed to use or like them. Worked good for me on my thru.

Elder
04-12-2009, 21:04
For what's it's worth I cut the straps of my leki's. Never seemed to use or like them. Worked good for me on my thru.

Funny. You would think an ENGINEER would be smarter than that! :cool:

Wood sticks make great plows and do considerable damage, much more than correctly used trekking poles. (With baskets/ without rubber tips)
Of course they also make good kindling ;)

Summit
04-12-2009, 22:40
If you cut the straps off you'll have an expensive pair of sticks. Straps, properly fitted and used make all the difference in the world, bearing your body's weight on the ball of your wrist, so your fingers don't have to grip tightly. Without straps, your fingers are doing all the work and will not do it nearly as efficiently. You wouldn't use snow skis without bindings would you? :eek:

Tinker
04-12-2009, 22:52
If you cut the straps off you'll have an expensive pair of sticks. Straps, properly fitted and used make all the difference in the world, bearing your body's weight on the ball of your wrist, so your fingers don't have to grip tightly. Without straps, your fingers are doing all the work and will not do it nearly as efficiently. You wouldn't use snow skis without bindings would you? :eek:

I teach cross country skiing for beginners every year with the AMC in New Hampshire. Most folks put their hands straight through the strap loops and grip the grip with the loop going under their wrists, cutting off the circulation. It also causes them to grip them tightly, causing finger and wrist fatigue. The proper way to use the straps is to grasp the shaft of the hiking stick below the grip lightly, then slide your hand up through the loop, grasping the grip. The loop will then be on top of your wrist and you will be grasping the grip with the strap between your palm and the grip.
(Or you can view the youtube video :rolleyes: -I didn't :o).
If your straps are too long you won't be able to use your poles correctly, either. If you find that you are using the straps correctly but still have to hold the grips tightly, shorten the straps. The straps on my ski poles are quite tight and I can pole myself along on flat terrain using just my forefinger, middle finger, and thumb to control my pole movement.

A picture from a few years back:
http://sports.webshots.com/photo/1273540939059664855HqWKAU

Summit
04-12-2009, 23:14
If your straps are too long you won't be able to use your poles correctly, either. If you find that you are using the straps correctly but still have to hold the grips tightly, shorten the straps. The straps on my ski poles are quite tight and I can pole myself along on flat terrain using just my forefinger, middle finger, and thumb to control my pole movement.Exactly! I often have very little finger grip at all while still bearing my body weight on the poles going down steep grades. If you can't do that, then your straps are not adjusted correctly.

Rain Man
04-13-2009, 10:42
... If you can't do that, then your straps are not adjusted correctly.

Assuming, that is, that they are using the proper method (as shown in the video) of gripping the loop and the pole. If they don't do that, then no amount of adjusting the straps correctly will matter. Just my two cents.

I agree that "I often have very little finger grip at all while still bearing my body weight on the poles ...."

Still, it's HYOH, and if anyone wants to do it another way, more power to them.

Rain:sunMan

hammock engineer
04-14-2009, 11:30
Funny. You would think an ENGINEER would be smarter than that! :cool:

Wood sticks make great plows and do considerable damage, much more than correctly used trekking poles. (With baskets/ without rubber tips)
Of course they also make good kindling ;)

No we know less and are the first to modify our gear.;)

Just saying. Tried them every which way and have people show the correct way. Just didn't feel as good as not using them. Replaced them with guy line for when I want to hang them or put them on my tarp.

The Leki Guy gave me grief about this the last 2 years at trail days. After 3k ish miles without them, not looking back.

In the end, try them with and without for awhile. Then go with what you want.

Elder
04-14-2009, 11:42
LOL...I am the Leki guy..:D

Service is free...so is the grief! :eek:

But I do agree HYOH.
Just careful what you tell the newbies...they are tender.

Chenango
04-14-2009, 12:32

But I do agree HYOH.

Hello, Leki Guy. I also do not use the straps. I am willing to try for a while. Can you point me to a site that explains how to use them?

CaseyB
04-14-2009, 12:53
Don't know about your brand, but mine came off by:

-remove screw in top op grip
-pull out strap
-replace screw

But after reading this thread I'm going to put mine back on.

HeartFire
04-14-2009, 13:07
I quit using the straps on my poles after I took a tumble once, the pole tip got caught, my hand in the strap - it was the shoulder that gave. Torn rotator cuff! not fun. Fortunately I didn't need surgery, just a lot of physical therpay.

Lyle
04-14-2009, 13:59
Try PacerPoles. Unique design. EASY to use. More control. More comfortable.

I've been using them for years, won't go back to traditional poles. These are much less work and better stability. Originally recommended to me by Brian's website (ULA).

These do not depend on the straps for proper transfer of energy. The straps on these poles are simply for convenience and retaining the pole if you want to let go while taking a photo or something.

http://www.pacerpole.com/

Summit
04-14-2009, 16:13
Hello, Leki Guy. I also do not use the straps. I am willing to try for a while. Can you point me to a site that explains how to use them?Here's quite a few links to choose from:

http://www.google.com/search?q=trekking+poles+how+to+use&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

See "Grip and strap" on this page:

http://www.personal.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/poles2.htm#Features

hammock engineer
04-14-2009, 16:18

But I do agree HYOH.

That's funny. Thanks again for the hard work fixing them every year.

I agree with everything you said, especially the careful with advice. I usually try, just get a little defense sometimes when people want to try something new and everyone seems against them trying it (excluding the whole getting hurt thing).

Chenango
04-14-2009, 16:28
Here's quite a few links to choose from:

http://www.google.com/search?q=trekking+poles+how+to+use&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

See "Grip and strap" on this page:

http://www.personal.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/poles2.htm#Features

Thanks, Summit. I really like the 2nd link.

Summit
04-14-2009, 17:39
Thanks, Summit. I really like the 2nd link.Yeah, the girl stretched out at a 45* angle lean on her poles with fingers completely open is what you are striving for. Basically, bringing the hands up through the straps and removing nearly all the slack in the strap (should just barely be able to remove the strap without loosening it) will allow this.

Elder
04-14-2009, 20:45
Hey Heartfire. That happens when you use the straps incorrectly.

www.leki.com (http://www.leki.com) go to trekking, then videos for demonstrations.

Always happy to do the Trail days service.
Bring us your tired, your wounded and your dead...we fix (Leki's)
Clean anything.

Thanks for the support :D