PDA

View Full Version : Map for the maine portion

GotDuhka
04-12-2009, 21:09
I probably won't hike most of the trail with a map but I am going to get one for Maine. It seems to me though that the only map available is the guidebook for Maine from ATC... Should I even get a map for Maine or is it as well blazed as other sections? Obviously if it were the pct I would get a map but it seems like the AT is as easy to follow as I40

shoe
04-12-2009, 21:30
You can't buy the maps by themselves, they come bundled with a guidebook.

Carrying a map is a personal choice. I always carry one.

modiyooch
04-12-2009, 21:34
maine gazetter

warraghiyagey
04-12-2009, 21:36
I probably won't hike most of the trail with a map but I am going to get one for Maine. It seems to me though that the only map available is the guidebook for Maine from ATC... Should I even get a map for Maine or is it as well blazed as other sections? Obviously if it were the pct I would get a map but it seems like the AT is as easy to follow as I40
Maine is very well blazed and verrrrry difficult to get lost. And there will always be hikers around with maps that will graciously let you have a look if you want. . . you won't need one. . .:)
Enjoy. . . we'll be in the 100 mile in July...

Shutterbug
04-12-2009, 21:46

If you only use a map to keep from getting lost, you won't need them in Maine. The White Blazes are easy to follow.

Personally, I use the maps to plan my day. I particularly like the back side of the maps that show the elevations. Somehow the mountains don't seem as high when I know how high they are.

There are some interesting side trails in Maine. The notes on the maps will help you to know which ones are worth exploring.

Wheeler
04-13-2009, 09:19
I love having maps. You can(and many do) hike the whole AT without any,but I like knowing right where I'm at. Sometimes it's just .nice to know the names of ponds,or mountains around the trail. The elevation profile is helpfull also.

TJ aka Teej
04-13-2009, 09:59
It seems to me though that the only map available is the guidebook for Maine from ATC...
The MATC maps are absolutely brilliant. You'll wish all the states were set up like these:
http://www.matc.org/gudemaps.htm

weary
04-14-2009, 11:07
The MATC maps are absolutely brilliant. You'll wish all the states were set up like these:
http://www.matc.org/gudemaps.htm
Teej is right. The Maine maps are most easily purchased as a bundle. But individual maps are available from MATC. The bundle is the cheapest way however.

BTW, the sale of the maps and guide book is a critically important source of income for a maintaining club that has only 600 members and 283 miles of trail to maintain. We collect about $9,000 in dues towards an annual budget of $250,000. The profit on map and guide book sales is around $25,000 a year.

Weary