PDA

View Full Version : Why is it so hard to bathe on the trail?

Wise Old Owl
04-12-2009, 22:45
OK I'm stumped, without messing up the thread and staying on topic....

When the opportunity arises on the trail? Is it because of cold water?

Now I already know the trail is a rim or top edge trail, but there are springs and pools and if you follow them down after pitching your tent, after a long day?

A mountain stream dip is the most pleasurable "alone" moment. Doesn't require soap but it helps knock the sticky grime. I have done it early enough that the nylon or polypro clothes are dry the next morning...

So weigh in, and keep in mind.... This is about personal hygine and just for a moment - there isn't a trail town available!

Summit
04-12-2009, 23:00
I try to bathe every three or four days usually. If I can't find a stream big enough to get in (downstream from obvious drinking water withdrawal), I'll do a 'pot bath' using a wash cloth. When I did the JMT in '77, I bathed everyday in a stream or lake - extremely cold water because it's melting snow runoff, but would get in and out until I could eventually stay in a good while. It completely re-energized me after an exhausting day of hiking.

fiddlehead
04-12-2009, 23:10
I think many people do this in July/August/Sept but it is often too cold and of course, having only wet stinky clothes to put back on doesn't help.
I look for areas when i'm down near the road crossing (as roads often follow streams and rivers)
But that's where civilization is too so, it may not be easy to undress or change clothes.
UP on top where the AT is, there aren't as many streams.

Out west is different. You dry fast. your clothes dry fast. There are more lakes up high. I bathed daily or every other day on hikes out there many times.

Wise Old Owl
04-12-2009, 23:21
I think many people do this in July/August/Sept but it is often too cold and of course, having only wet stinky clothes to put back on doesn't help.
I look for areas when i'm down near the road crossing (as roads often follow streams and rivers)
But that's where civilization is too so, it may not be easy to undress or change clothes.
UP on top where the AT is, there aren't as many streams.

Out west is different. You dry fast. your clothes dry fast. There are more lakes up high. I bathed daily or every other day on hikes out there many times.

Well Fiddlehead I am not talking lakes here. I am talking mountain streams, I have jumped into steams in PA, Canada, England, and I am talking about small ponding holes below the spring and yes it is cold, enough for a guy's Easter basket to disappear! With Micro fiber polypro clothes and poly or tech pants it's NOT necessary to get naked. Just jump in. No cotton, no problem. I am not kidding, I canoe & kayak grade 3,4 and have been soaked numerous times, but due to the exercise I warm up. Hey if there isn't ice cubes floating it must be ok right? there is a camp towel....

I do agree out west it is easier and sometimes the high altitude can mess folk up.

Summit
04-12-2009, 23:22
I think many people do this in July/August/Sept but it is often too cold and of course, having only wet stinky clothes to put back on doesn't help.Yep, on the JMT I removed my boots and went in with my clothes and socks, pulled them off and rinsed/scrubbed 'em real good. Even if the sun was nearly down, the low humidity would render my clothes dry by morning (hung out) except sometimes my socks weren't completely dry. I would hang them on my pack and could put them away dry before 10 am. Good hygene is much harder on the AT, especially if you're hiking sun up to sundown busting big mileage days on a thru!

Tinker
04-12-2009, 23:25
Usually there isn't enough water on the trail. Streams and lakes are a better bet. ;)

Actually, in cold weather, it's the air temp. not the water temp so much. I've taken a couple of "snow baths" in my time in the winter. They aren't really that bad if there's a lot of sun and no wind. Best bet in cold weather is to bring a few "baby wipes" and quickly wipe your private parts and underarms (separate wipes, please :D).

Wise Old Owl
04-12-2009, 23:29
Wow Tinker SNOW BATHS? - I had no idea.....:eek:

fiddlehead
04-12-2009, 23:34
Ok, wise old owl, you want to talk streams> you are from PA. Me too.
I have bathed in the stream just north of Eckville Shelter, The Sch. river in Port Clinton (but not without people watching as it is a very public area), Hertliem, and the DeHart Dam (illegal i know but .....it was hot) (Sunfish pond in NJ also but shsshhhhh don't tell anyone)
I have also swam at the lake's swimming area at Pine Grove furnace SP, the pool at Caledonia SP, and the small stream in Rausch Gap. But never in the Susquehanna or Lehigh rivers as i considered them too big.
i have been to all of these places in early spring also and chose to NOT bathe or swim in them.

So, to answer your question, it does happen. But not to the extent that it does on other trails. Mainly weather related IMO.

ps. i too paddle whitewater but have a change of clothes at the end of the day. (and a boofgear sack to change it from)

Tinker
04-12-2009, 23:34
Wow Tinker SNOW BATHS? - I had no idea.....:eek:

Only in the winter.:jump

Frosty
04-13-2009, 00:35
Wal-mart and others sell small packages of anti-baterial wipes. Pack of 20 for an ounce or two. Using one at night on one's nasty bits, working from pits to crotch to butt, takes care of potential odor, crotch rot, monkey butt, and possible yeast-infection, and doing it before turning in greatly lengthens the time before your sleeping bag needs cleaning.

Yes, your clothes are still smelly, but my observation is that you feel pretty good if you are clean but wearing dirty clothes. On the other hand, being scuzzy in clean clothes still leaves you feel scuzzy.

phillycheze
04-13-2009, 03:21
WHAT? i hope none of you had on bug repellent or sunscreen. LNT people. use the wipes if needed or take a smoke bath. come on people.

Sailor (The other one)
04-13-2009, 06:56
What's a smoke bath?

Engine
04-13-2009, 07:03
If there isn't enough water to actually get into, I just soak my bandanna and do a good wipe down. The season for this usually runs from late March to early October in the southern Appalachians. Too cold any other time, and I don't get anywhere near as ripe in the cold anyway.

Rockhound
04-13-2009, 08:12
It is not hard to bathe on the trail. Warm water and a bandanna when you get to camp and a real shower every 5 or 6 days when the opportunity presents itself at a hotel, hostel, campground etc...If this is not enough perhaps you should try long distance swimming. If you hike you smell. Get used to it.

catfishrivers
04-13-2009, 09:13
What about filling your water bladder up and hanging it from a tree and using it as a shower? That's one of the things I was planning on doing if I felt the need to de-cheeze before I could get myself a proper shower.

JAK
04-13-2009, 09:16
sponge baths are easy and you don't need much water, or even a sponge.

TD55
04-13-2009, 09:51
sponge baths are easy and you don't need much water, or even a sponge.

Ya, but a sponge works best. You don't loose as much water as you do with a bandana or wash cloth. If I'm careful I can pour a little hot water into a sponge without dribbling and spilling onto the ground like what happans with a cloth. I still use my old canteen cup to heat water and it's enough to get the job done. The hot water makes all the difference, for me anyhow. Sometimes I'll use cold water for soaping up and use the hot for "rinsing", or at least wiping away the soap residue.
When I get to a water source I clean my sponge real good. Away from the source ofcourse, the same way you do socks. BTW, a wool sock works better than a bandana or even a standard cotten cloth, IMO.

superman
04-13-2009, 09:59
It's not hard to bathe on the trail. I have the caterer bring me a shower when they deliver my meals.:D

DAJA
04-13-2009, 10:00
What about filling your water bladder up and hanging it from a tree and using it as a shower? That's one of the things I was planning on doing if I felt the need to de-cheeze before I could get myself a proper shower.

Bingo, works great! If you want a little added luxury, add some hot water for a warm shower... When hiking in the maritimes, I often soak in the ocean to cure sore feet and muscles... Just be sure to have a fresh water source nearby to rinse the salt off after... Brooks, lakes, and streams are all great too...

Fiddleback
04-13-2009, 10:49
Wal-mart and others sell small packages of anti-baterial wipes. Pack of 20 for an ounce or two. Using one at night on one's nasty bits, working from pits to crotch to butt, takes care of potential odor, crotch rot, monkey butt, and possible yeast-infection, and doing it before turning in greatly lengthens the time before your sleeping bag needs cleaning.

Yes, your clothes are still smelly, but my observation is that you feel pretty good if you are clean but wearing dirty clothes. On the other hand, being scuzzy in clean clothes still leaves you feel scuzzy.

Almost every trail night, I use a large-washcloth-sized miracle fibre cloth and warm water to scrub the grit and grime and salt off my bod. I follow up with an 'adult wipe' which finishes the cleaning and leaves a fresh feeling. For the most part, I don't even stink anymore.;) And it usually doesn't take more than a cup of water.

I haven't seen them at WalMart but drugstores such as Osco/CVS carry the adult wipes. The same kind of thing is at REI but they are much, much more expensive there. Those I have are 9" X 13", hypoallergenic and alcohol free. One very nicely does the job.

It's a great way to hit the sack...

FB

Bear Cables
04-13-2009, 11:33
I find a bucket bath everyother day supplemented by the wet wipes works for me. I do wash my feet daily. Chilly? Heat a little water and add it to the cold to warm it up, get inside the tent and clean away. Since I secton hike and don't worry about bagging big miles there is always time for my hygine in the afternoon.

kanga
04-13-2009, 12:21
it's not hard at all. some people are just lazy.

Wesley Russelburg
04-13-2009, 15:11
Do some people get mad if you bathe down stream from a watering hole, even late at night?

hikergirl1120
04-13-2009, 15:44
There is always someone out there that is bound to be mad at whatever it is you are doing...just try and use common sense yah know??? Be respectful, it;s really the best you can do

Chaco Taco
04-13-2009, 16:15
I saw the name of the thread and now I wish I hadnt entered. Shower? Seriously? There is a place to clean up every few days. Im sorry, cleaning up with a wet bandana,ok, showering on the trail, come on.

buff_jeff
04-13-2009, 17:28
I honestly don't see the point. Do you really have that much of an aversion to getting a little dirty? Hell, you're going to get dirty after five minutes of walking anyway. Seems like a waste of time to me. I'd rather eat or sleep.

Chaco Taco
04-13-2009, 17:32
You could do what Lewis Black suggested to the CEO's of major companies, your own personal, ball washer

Johnny Thunder
04-13-2009, 18:51
Chaco...I showered almost every day on the trail. Heck, I'm pretty sure you watch sometimes. It wasn't hard...just somer bronners and my MSR bag. In fact it was very easy. If you'll recall the one time I really broke my pattern was when pops was hiking with me...remember walking into Bear Mtn Village and how I had to take that hobo shower in the public bathroom before getting on the MTA bus? Remember that kid I terrified?

Chaco, think of the children.

Johnny

PS. I expect turn-down service in the Johnny Thunder Memorial Spare Bedroom and Home Office. Mints.

Chaco Taco
04-13-2009, 20:08
But Johnny, you are the most metro hiker around, its exspected of you.

I have a mint on the pillow:D

wakapak
04-13-2009, 20:13
But Johnny, you are the most metro hiker around, its exspected of you.

I have a mint on the pillow:D

The mint, however, may or may not still be there upon your arrival Johnny.....
just sayin....:p

wrongway_08
04-13-2009, 20:59
1) find a hopefully private spot.
2) strip down to your b-day suit.
3) Hang your Camelback/Platypus from a tree and take a shower, the bite valve makes a great water flow controller. - not hard to do at all.

You want a warm bath when its cold out? Heat up a pot of water, fill the Camelback/Platypus and you have a warm shower.

I showered every other day or 3 days at shelters. I also took a shower right before hitching into town.

Marta
04-13-2009, 21:08
Unless you are the only one around, and are pretty sure you're going to stay that way, the rest of us would appreciate it if you keep your stinking self out of the water source.

You also get a lot cleaner if you use soap, which means taking yourself and some water some distance from the water source.

Wise Old Owl
04-13-2009, 21:09
What's a smoke bath?

Don't worry - it doesn't work and it causes cancer.:D

Wise Old Owl
04-13-2009, 21:18
Do some people get mad if you bathe down stream from a watering hole, even late at night?

Sure if they find out, I never do it at the source, but if you see Marta's post above this one, well you get the idea.

Look if you don't filter your water, you might get sick, if you don't remove or rinse your pots of soap and scum, you will get sick. If you don't keep clean on the trail, monkey butt is the least of your worries. After reading tons of posts, it became apparent most folks were skipping a few things. And some were fowling the sources with garbage and scum.

catfishrivers
04-13-2009, 21:37
I saw the name of the thread and now I wish I hadnt entered. Shower? Seriously? There is a place to clean up every few days. Im sorry, cleaning up with a wet bandana,ok, showering on the trail, come on.

Why not? Might be nice after hiking in 100 degree weather one day. Especially if you have greasy hair syndrome.

Erin
04-13-2009, 22:29
We had this idea that we could bathe in streams on the AT, like Colorado. Gushing creeks, waterfalls, etc. We were very surprised. There was no water. At all. Anywhere. We had trickle pipe for drinking water on our section. I was happy to wet a bandana to wipe my face and so glad I brought those wet wipes as a luxury item so at least I could clean my feet.

Chaco Taco
04-13-2009, 22:40
Why not? Might be nice after hiking in 100 degree weather one day. Especially if you have greasy hair syndrome.

Then find a swimming hole or go down stream and splash yourself down. This showering business is a crazy on the trail. I understand the washing off in a swimming hole and stuff like that. Once you "clean"up, you will be dirty in 2 seconds. Remember how clean your beloved shelters are folks. One thought, mice and rats???

catfishrivers
04-14-2009, 00:06
You need other things to think about if this topic bothers you.

Chaco Taco
04-14-2009, 01:31
You need other things to think about if this topic bothers you.

Its called havin a little fun:rolleyes:

catfishrivers
04-14-2009, 01:37
Good clean fun requires a shower but if I find any waterfalls I'll use those instead then.

Johnny Thunder
04-14-2009, 06:51
Don't go chasing Waterfalls
Please stick to Dr Bronners and Camel Backs like you're used to
I know that you're gonna have it smelly or nothing at all
But I think you're hiking too fast

(G-D it's early. Why am i awake?)

Dances with Mice
04-14-2009, 09:07
One thought, mice and rats???Do you know the difference between hikers and mice and rats?

The rodents groom themselves.

sly dog
04-14-2009, 09:29
I remember it was a bit chilly when I sat down in the CT falls and bathed but felt like a million bucks afterwards. I wish I found an area like that when I was going thru MD in over 100* temps but nuthin.

weary
04-14-2009, 09:47
I don't know, but they should. There are many more than one watering hole on most streams.

Take a container of water from a stream and then walk a hundred feet or so away from the stream to wash. Or better yet use a wipe. I like "Wet Ones" wipes better than the slightly cheaper chain drug store copies.

Weary

DiamondDoug
04-14-2009, 10:49
I shaved and showered every day. Carried an old REI 2 or 3 gallon water bladder with a shower nozzle attachment, a razor and a small plastic mirror. Hung the bladder from a branch, stripped down and washed a layer of grime off. I thought it made sleeping more comfortable, and the extra weight (what little there was) was well worth carrying.

Everyone says hike your own hike. Mine meant cleaning up a little bit. I also carried a wee dram of 16 year old single malt Scotch that I sipped on every night, and 100% Kona coffee that I perked for breakfast every morning. Just because you are hiking doesn't mean you have to give up all of life's simple pleasures.

sly dog
04-14-2009, 12:24
I don't know, but they should. There are many more than one watering hole on most streams.

Weary

Dont worry, the one in CT is the river so I didnt taint anyones drinking water but I hear what your sayin.

catfishrivers
04-14-2009, 12:27
oh man I feel bad for the people who drink the water straight from the stream now EEEEP lol

Spirit Walker
04-14-2009, 13:04
On the AT, I washed up almost every night, at least once it warmed up a bit. If there wasn't a lake or good stream, I filled my water bag and went into the woods with my bandana. (My REI water bag has a tiny spout that makes a decent shower.) Privacy was sometimes a problem, but I would generally get an early start in the morning so I could stop early in the afternoon so I could get cleaned up before the other hikers showed up. A few times I was seen - but I didn't really care.

Out west I found it harder to stay clean because running water was sometimes scarce on the PCT and CDT and we usually didn't end up camping near the main water source for the day. I didn't want to waste the water I had carried, so usually only did a quick bandana bath toget the worst of the salt off. OTOH, if there was a good stream or lake, I took advantage whenever possible.

I don't like the wet wipes because they are so heavy and not that effective. Some have perfume which I really can't stand. So I'd rather do the bandana thing. I've learned to do it with very little water.

Engine
04-14-2009, 13:23
On the AT, I washed up almost every night, at least once it warmed up a bit. If there wasn't a lake or good stream, I filled my water bag and went into the woods with my bandana. (My REI water bag has a tiny spout that makes a decent shower.) Privacy was sometimes a problem, but I would generally get an early start in the morning so I could stop early in the afternoon so I could get cleaned up before the other hikers showed up. A few times I was seen - but I didn't really care.

Out west I found it harder to stay clean because running water was sometimes scarce on the PCT and CDT and we usually didn't end up camping near the main water source for the day. I didn't want to waste the water I had carried, so usually only did a quick bandana bath toget the worst of the salt off. OTOH, if there was a good stream or lake, I took advantage whenever possible.

I don't like the wet wipes because they are so heavy and not that effective. Some have perfume which I really can't stand. So I'd rather do the bandana thing. I've learned to do it with very little water.

I backpack with my wife, I love my wife, we sleep in the same tent, I wash myself...

ithai
07-10-2009, 23:51
I would use a bandanna to wash away the dirt and sweat. awfully cold, but revining nonetheless

Trailweaver
07-11-2009, 02:08
I've yet to see a creek on the AT large enough to bathe my feet, much less anything else. I also wouldn't get in it and contaminate drinking water. I do what others do here. . . use a bandana, wipe, or something to clean the necessaries, then take a real shower when I get to one. I can't sleep when sweaty, so I have to do something at night.

Egads
07-11-2009, 09:49
Bathing on the trail is a learned behavior.

bluffhead
07-11-2009, 09:52
canteen shower, and hand sanitizer

Wise Old Owl
02-02-2010, 20:44
Do you know the difference between hikers and mice and rats?

The rodents groom themselves.

Just found out that Male Teenager and Alpha Male Rodents don't....

weary
02-02-2010, 22:50
Just found out that Male Teenager and Alpha Male Rodents don't....
And for the same reason. Science has long suggested that body odor is a way to arouse interest among females, at least among advanced species like mice -- and men.

Weary

Erin
02-02-2010, 22:58
Normal hiker funk body odor fine.
Hiker who has not touched water in 300 miles and runs all out of a business with eyes watering and a visible vapor trail=not atttractive to females.
There is a difference between a person who has not washed for a week and a person that has not washed for a month or more. Anywhere.

JustaTouron
02-02-2010, 23:00
And for the same reason. Science has long suggested that body odor is a way to arouse interest among females, at least among advanced species like mice -- and men.

Weary

actually the teenage mice don't bathe because their mom told them to bathe, same reason as with human teens. :)

weary
02-03-2010, 00:11
actually the teenage mice don't bathe because their mom told them to bathe, same reason as with human teens. :)I don't remember much any more, but I still have vivid memories of teenage years. I saw who got all the girls and followed suit, though, admittedly, with less success. I wonder what technique I might have been missing.

thelowend
02-03-2010, 00:47
i bathe in the blood of weekenders.

Chaco Taco
02-03-2010, 15:20
OK I'm stumped, without messing up the thread and staying on topic....

When the opportunity arises on the trail? Is it because of cold water?

Now I already know the trail is a rim or top edge trail, but there are springs and pools and if you follow them down after pitching your tent, after a long day?

A mountain stream dip is the most pleasurable "alone" moment. Doesn't require soap but it helps knock the sticky grime. I have done it early enough that the nylon or polypro clothes are dry the next morning...

So weigh in, and keep in mind.... This is about personal hygine and just for a moment - there isn't a trail town available!

It wont really be that much of an issue on the AT

WILLIAM HAYES
02-03-2010, 16:33
I carry an extra nalgene lid that I have punched several holes in which serves as a shower head works well you can heat up a liter of hot water and take a hand held shower with a little bonners soap I take one every nite unless the weather is bitchin but I always wash el crotcho my armpts and feet every nite keeps the funk out of my sleeping bag and even though
I am back in my funky clothes the next AM I always feel better I also wash my socks every other day using a marked lock bag filled with water and a little antibacterial soap.
Hillbilly

Tinker
02-03-2010, 19:57
The problem for the long distance hiker isn't so much bathing on the trail as it is finding CLEAN clothes to wear afterwards. I suppose that bathing every night before putting on your "bed clothes" would be possible, but, as mentioned, the water will be cold unless you find some way to warm it up. I usually manage to wash the "important areas" every other day on a long hike, just to keep rashes to a minimum.
My hair probably gets washed twice a week. I try to wear a hat to bed (except in very warm weather) to keep my hammock and sleeping bag clean-ish.

superman
02-03-2010, 20:12
How do you empty a shelter of thru hikers?

You throw a bar of soap into it.:D

weary
02-03-2010, 20:48

vaguely humorous. But not really a contribution to a serious thread. Moderators take notice.

JustaTouron
02-03-2010, 20:52

But not really a contribution to a serious thread. Moderators take notice.

I think your joke hit a raw note with weary.

superman
02-03-2010, 20:52
vaguely humorous. But not really a contribution to a serious thread. Moderators take notice.

LMAO, ..I am vaguely thread drift guilty. :)

moytoy
02-04-2010, 17:28
I've used "No-Rinse" Body Bath. It's biodegradable and seems to work pretty well for me. Has the odor of Baby Powder though. Not as manly as sweat. It's made by CleanLife Products of Springsboro, OH.

Wise Old Owl
02-11-2010, 11:49
I will add a note that someone added to another thread that I really liked. Working Cornstarch into ones scalp and combing it out works very well as a no water shampoo.

Chaco Taco
02-11-2010, 12:28

He just contributed a joke for the hiker to use at the shelter. Lighten up. Its sooooooooooo serious!!!

Chaco Taco
02-11-2010, 12:30
Why worry so much about batheing???? You will get the chance to shower about every 3-5 days. Its really not that much of an issue on the AT.

mweinstone
02-11-2010, 13:46
im the cleanest hiker on the trail. i never need a bath in tow. i do all that in the woods with my cookpot and extra fuel and my banndana and soap. chaco knows how clean i smell.

Wise Old Owl
02-11-2010, 14:15
Why worry so much about batheing???? You will get the chance to shower about every 3-5 days. Its really not that much of an issue on the AT.

Ever walk into a trail town sit down at fast food place and clear a room for no apparent reason?

Tinker: I saw the above post and keep thinking about an observation, when Bear G. jumps into a freezing pond or stream he jumps out starts a fire with a striker, strips off and drys all that polypro in ten minutes, only fleese & cotton takes a lot longer.

Appalachian Tater
02-11-2010, 16:17

Well, it depends. A few people have very strange and foul body odor and if they have not bathed and they are within a few feet I have to move or I will vomit and I have been around some pretty foul-smelling things without vomiting.

Chaco Taco
02-11-2010, 18:03
Ever walk into a trail town sit down at fast food place and clear a room for no apparent reason?

Uh yea. But mostly all I got was weird looks. Rarely got any kind of serious crap from anyone. And you guys call yourselves hikers:rolleyes:

Chaco Taco
02-11-2010, 18:05
Well, it depends. A few people have very strange and foul body odor and if they have not bathed and they are within a few feet I have to move or I will vomit and I have been around some pretty foul-smelling things without vomiting.

You havent walked behind Thor. The words strange and foul do not apply!

mweinstone
02-11-2010, 18:29
thor smell. thor good for bear to keep away.

Gramps
02-15-2010, 01:28
I honestly don't see the point. Do you really have that much of an aversion to getting a little dirty? Hell, you're going to get dirty after five minutes of walking anyway. Seems like a waste of time to me. I'd rather eat or sleep.

For me, it's not so much the issue of whether or not I like being dirty, but I do have an aversion to crotch rot, ringworm, monkey butt, etc. A certain amount of cleaning on a daily basis is a absolute necessity, especially on warm or better days. If there is some water, I will bahte as able, if not, I'll use wipes and Zea-sorb powder. Works wonders.

JAK
02-15-2010, 08:57
You can also use rain or snow, or a simple sponge bath.
This is where something like a Kelly Kettle really pays off.

I think it helps to hike in the same loose clothing most of the time, and only use skin layers and extra layers on colder days. The best time to bathe and soak/rinse/squeezedry your clothing is probably early after noon when the sun is out and the relative humidity is lowest. You can dry you clothes while hiking in them.

Hyway
02-15-2010, 09:32
carry your baby wipes dry and just wet the ones you will use that night.

garlic08
02-15-2010, 12:38

I'm in total agreement with this originating post. A very quick soapless scrub and rinse, even in the cold, is something I always look for. I rinse out the socks and underwear, too. My sleeping bag and clothes stay cleaner and therefore warmer. I sleep better, I stay healthier. Several people mentioned I looked too good to be a thru hiker.

I've been on plenty of desert hikes where you begrudge the water to brush your teeth and hesitate to spit it out, for days and days...now that's dirty. You lean your clothes up against a nearby cactus about night four.

On the AT, there's no reason to hike dirty. But there seems to be a certain amount of bravado with some hikers. I was having lunch at a shelter in CT, and a hiker comes in bragging about how he hadn't bathed since PA and he sounded proud. I think there's also some ignorance about how to stay clean without a daily shower, and also some fear about getting nekkid in the woods (insert banjo music here).

NorthCountryWoods
02-23-2010, 14:40
I've found with age, you get funkier quicker. Used to be able to go days without washing, but those days are long gone. I do a bandana bath every night before getting into the bag. Keeps your bag cleaner too. Daily cleanups also cuts down on irritation in certain "areas".