View Full Version : Sobo leave date?

04-13-2009, 03:28
Im thinking about trying to start early June but it seems most are aiming for eary July. Would it really be worth it to suck it up for a month and wait for better conditions?

TJ aka Teej
04-13-2009, 03:58
:welcome to WhiteBlaze!
If the trend holds over one hundred ATers will have left Baxter for the 100 Mile by the first of July. The only conditions that will be 'better' will a lessening in the blackflies (with an increase in mosquitos) and lower fords from runoff (but more thunderstorms that might raise the fords anyway). If you can go in June, go for it. The North Woods are just waking up, colorful spring birds are singing, flowers and blooms everywhere, fawns calves and cubs, warm days and cool nights, a great time to be in Maine's woods.
The bugs - just bring deet and a head net, don't camp in low wet areas, take your breaks in breezy open spots, and go swimming when you can.
Have fun!

04-13-2009, 04:23
i'm having the same dilemma, the bugs vs. starting earlier question. Maybe i will compromise and start mid-june instead of July 1. anyone else have thoughts on this?

04-13-2009, 14:09
June 15 for me.

04-13-2009, 14:32
I will start hiking big K on june 3

04-13-2009, 15:15
june 9th my message was too short to post ***?>

hammock engineer
04-13-2009, 18:04
I started July 13th in 07. I think I only saw 5 southbounders in Maine. Maybe 3 times that the rest of the way. Can't say if that is normal. From the registeries I noticed a lot a couple weeks in front of me. Didn't have any black fly problems, but mosquitos were bad. I finished Jan 20th and got into a good amount of winter. At times it was unusally warm.

Taking it all into account, I think I would start a couple weeks earlier, maybe mid June if I southbound again. More people, finish up a little earlier, more hiker services open. In the south most things are closed before any southbounders can get there.

04-13-2009, 18:54
I started July 1st, 2008. There where probably 20 or more other SOBO's that started that day, and I ran into lots of SOBO's every day until Gorham or so. I also ran into lots of rain (38 of the first 40 days had rain), high fords, black flies and mosquito's. So I don't think its worth it to wait till 7/1 just to avoid the elements, its inevitable in Maine.

If I did it again, I might want to leave earlier (like June 15th) just to avoid finishing in the cold (I finished Dec 15th). Then again, I met lots of cool people on July 1st. Either way, get set for a great adventure.