PDA

View Full Version : Cost of a Thru hike?

hawkeye
04-13-2009, 09:00
Hi, Can some Thru hikers give me a estimate of the cost of a thru hike? I am planning and my wife asked me how much it would cost. I know being out of work,lost income. I have the gear already. Thanks for any posts on the subject,
Greg

warraghiyagey
04-13-2009, 09:02
3 grand should do it more than comfortably...

catfishrivers
04-13-2009, 09:04
The cost: 1 soul.

Rockhound
04-13-2009, 09:07
Both of you could make it very comfortably for $6000

Ox97GaMe
04-13-2009, 09:49
Here is a breakdown of the type of expenses that most hikers incur

Each town stop... (25-30 during trip)
Resupply $50-75 (food, fuel, toiletries)
Hostel or hotel stay $10-50
All you can eat buffet or other restraunt $10-20
Laundry (if not at hostel) $2-3

Misc items.......
Travel cost to start/finish your trip
Gear replacement/repair $500 (something will break or wear out, plan for it)
Medications/Prescriptions
Souveiners
Postage for letters/postcards sent
Beer/Adult beverages
Misc Entertainment (festivals, movies, national historic sites, DC/NY/Boston??)

Bottom line is that the cost is different for each hiker, depending on number of town stops and activities you engage in during those stops. It can be done for as little as $1000 (maybe less) or could cost more than $5000. While you are ON the trail hiking, there isnt much to spend money on (an occassional soda machine or camp store). Fewer town distractions means less dollars spent. And towns are getting pretty good at separating a hiker from their money. Thru-Hiker season is a town's/business' 2 month boom economic period.

Other expenses that are being incurred while you are on the trail will include.
- lost wages
- mortgage
- insurance
- Car payment
This most times is far greater than the actual cost of the thru hike and often times overlooked. I have met many hikers that have quit because there funds are being depleted faster than they anticipated by these 'non-hiking' costs.

traildust
04-13-2009, 11:40
Cost $2,000. per person will do it. Less or more depending on your needs, trail towns etc. Benefits - priceless. Maybe start your hike in Mass since it would be cheaper to get out to Western Mass than going to Georgia. When you get to Maine, head back to Mass and SOBO or Georgia and NOBO. Good luck.

Chaco Taco
04-13-2009, 11:51
$2000 will be really tight. You will have to pass up alot of town stops. If something breaks it will eat up a fraction of your money. Just like OX said, plan for something to break. With the increase in prices you should look at $3000 at the least to get from Ga to ME and that isnt including if you have a cell phone for emergencies (recommend TRACphone). If some really bad weather hits and you wanna shack up til it passes you will have that luxury. Also, in Va the heat can be killer and you dont want to hike when its 100+ like we had last June. Dont go with the bear minimum amount of money, you will enjoy it more if you have options!

emerald
04-13-2009, 15:35
See post #18 (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=807265&postcount=18) and post #20 (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=807326&postcount=20) for links with sound advice related to your question.

CrumbSnatcher
04-13-2009, 15:44
if you already have all your gear??? MINIMUM 1.25 per mile -per person ''HAVE YOU SEEN THE PRICE OF FOOD LATELY''? a little more for first time thruhikers.

CrumbSnatcher
04-13-2009, 15:59
i am tired of hearing a dollor a mile to hike the A.T.,how many years we been hearing that! 20 years or more. im in a big city and the price of food is way up from my last thruhike(2003) even at the big walmarts.
lipton meals were 98cents in 03' now $1.48
pringles were $1.00 now $1.58 (thats a dollor more for just two snacks that will last about a mile or so) just two small examples. you will be very hungry hiking to maine or georgia. even if you stay away from hostels and motels most of the time, i would hate to have to miss the towns restraunts! new hikers go slower on avg.and don't hike in the rain much. (the longer it takes to hike the trail, the more money you will spend) not trying to be negative,just hate seeing people go home because they ran out of money! theres so many extras people forget (stamps,mailing cost,developing film,souvenirs,movies,shuttles?,gear replacements, etc...) good luck

ChinMusic
04-13-2009, 16:19
Many times folks post about what the min expense is.

I'm curious about how much it would be if you didn't cut corners, stayed a motels instead of hostels, ate well, etc.

5-7K?

Chaco Taco
04-13-2009, 16:23

I'm curious about how much it would be if you didn't cut corners, stayed a motels instead of hostels, ate well, etc.

5-7K?

That sounds about right.

CrumbSnatcher
04-13-2009, 16:26

5-7K?
alot will depend on how fast you hike the trail,and maybe your comfort level? i have always spent around $4,ooo or a little more. hardly any hostels maybe 3-5 motel nights.hardly ever drink but a handful of times i drink a few beers, never had to replace gear! but what i won't skimp on is when i get to towns i want to grub i won't spend big bucks on a steakhouse or anything but buffets,and restraunt meals of all sorts. theres alot of ways to waste money. but whether im eating trail food or town food i don't think im splurging!

CrumbSnatcher
04-13-2009, 16:29
we always used to joke 7 months & 7,000 grand. now that would be great times.

ChinMusic
04-13-2009, 16:48
alot will depend on how fast you hike the trail,and maybe your comfort level? i have always spent around $4,ooo or a little more. hardly any hostels maybe 3-5 motel nights.hardly ever drink but a handful of times i drink a few beers, never had to replace gear! but what i won't skimp on is when i get to towns i want to grub i won't spend big bucks on a steakhouse or anything but buffets,and restraunt meals of all sorts. theres alot of ways to waste money. but whether im eating trail food or town food i don't think im splurging!
I don't drink alcohol so that aspect wouldn't be an issue. I'm not opposed to springing for a few drinks but I stick with Diet Coke.....:D

7 months and 7 grand sounds like a plan I could learn to like.

CrumbSnatcher
04-13-2009, 16:49
I don't drink alcohol so that aspect wouldn't be an issue. I'm not opposed to springing for a few drinks but I stick with Diet Coke.....:D

i have never spent more than $50.00 on booze on a thruhike. and thats pushing it! its funny i like ice cold pepsi. but on trail i was given a warm diet caffine free coke once and it was good! i mastered the yogi and had sodas quite often:D pepsi and quick chocolate milk is what i always grabbed in town! my last hike couldn't get enough chocolate milk

emerald
04-13-2009, 17:11
See post #18 (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=807265&postcount=18) and post #20 (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=807326&postcount=20) for links with sound advice related to your question.

So who wants post #18?:D

hammock engineer
04-14-2009, 11:25

I was close at 6.5 months and 5 grand. The extra 2 grand would have been nice. Was always worried about money. Hike in smaller groups or alone and the cost goes up a lot. Next long hike is 7 grand and not a thought towards money. Not saying blowing it everywhere, just enough not to think about it everytime I buy something. My 2 cents.

Diamond Diggs
04-15-2009, 10:13
If the majority of your food is already accounted for with mail drops: would this cut down the expense dramatically? say 2K?

ChinMusic
04-15-2009, 11:22
If the majority of your food is already accounted for with mail drops: would this cut down the expense dramatically? say 2K?
I wouldn't do one single maildrop if I could get away with it.

hammock engineer
04-15-2009, 11:52

Don't underestimate the hunger. I think I spent more on town food per stop than the resupply. I think I couldn't carry enough food and was always trying to make up for it in town.

JAK
04-15-2009, 12:36
I've been very bummed out lately about price of a good steak in grocery stores, or even a cheap one. What's the price of meat in grocery stores along the AT? It would be nice to grab a steak on the way out of town and fire it up on the trail, but at $20 I would rather pay that on the way into town and have a nice sit down with sides and stuff.

Other than that, I think grocs can be pretty cheap, as long as you avoid junk food.

GotDuhka
04-15-2009, 12:40
The way food cost is right now is not the problem. The problem is the artificial cost on food products we are used to paying that are now catching up with the actual cost of foods. The average american pays such a small percentage of their income on food. Food should be way above the amount of money we spend on goods.

JAK
04-15-2009, 12:42
I would have to agree with that.
Just saying I shouldn't have to pay as much in a grocery store as in a restaurant.

JAK
04-15-2009, 12:51
These prices aren't bad, but I don't know where they are getting those prices because we are paying at least twice that for meat here in Saint John, including pork and hotdogs and hamburger and stuff. Its gotten crazy. Its not like we don't raise our own meat here either because we do. I've gotten complacent because I don't eat meat that often but when I do I like a big hunk of it. I'll have to look into it some more.

http://relocatecanada.com/foodprice.html

Footslogger
04-15-2009, 12:56
I spent close to $4,000 on my thru in 2003. I did buy some gear along the way. I had 3 actual food maildrops. Everything else I bought along the way. As I got further north into my hike I found that I "needed" town stops and some R & R, so that probably pushed me closer to the $4,000 level than I otherwise would have gotten. I wouldn't call my hike "lavish" by any extreme. It took me 6 months and 10 days to reach Katahdin, so if I could have hiked faster the cost might have gone down as well.

If I had it to do all over again ...I would budget $5,000 and allow myself 7 months to complete the hike. Not a huge pricetag for a 7 month vacation, if you consider travel, food and lodging.

Just sayin'

'Slogger

hawkeye
04-15-2009, 13:13
I spent close to $4,000 on my thru in 2003. I did buy some gear along the way. I had 3 actual food maildrops. Everything else I bought along the way. As I got further north into my hike I found that I "needed" town stops and some R & R, so that probably pushed me closer to the $4,000 level than I otherwise would have gotten. I wouldn't call my hike "lavish" by any extreme. It took me 6 months and 10 days to reach Katahdin, so if I could have hiked faster the cost might have gone down as well.

If I had it to do all over again ...I would budget $5,000 and allow myself 7 months to complete the hike. Not a huge pricetag for a 7 month vacation, if you consider travel, food and lodging.

Just sayin'

'Slogger

I don't want to rush my hike so I will have to save up for it. It's looking like 2011 and not 2010 for my thru. I want to leave on March 11th, my mother's birthday. i think it would a good way to remember her by.

JAK
04-15-2009, 13:22
Steak meat is like $13 a pound up here. Is that crazy or am I just bitchen?

Anyhow, I think $5000 is a heck of alot of money for 7 months of walking, but that's me.

Footslogger
04-15-2009, 13:27
Anyhow, I think $5000 is a heck of alot of money for 7 months of walking, but that's me.

===================================

Oh ...I could do it for less. But having already completed a thru and knowing how that one went I'd rather just take my time and not feel pressed by time or money.

'Slogger

JAK
04-15-2009, 13:29
If I ever do get a chance to walk for 7 months or more I wan't call it vacation.
I would call it living, and I would keep it cheap and simple to do it as long as possible.

I can understand though, that most people are more limited by time than by money.
I am not much different in that respect, so I would want to get the most out of it.
I would probably spend $5000 to $7000 on a 7 month adventure, but not on the AT.
For that money I would expect to sail or paddle across an ocean or two, but that's me.

However much money you spend, kudos to all those that actually get on with it. Cheers.

CrumbSnatcher
04-15-2009, 13:58
you'll spend all or alot of the extra money you saved boxing up food on postage.(without the chance to change up some of the foods your sick of already) 2,000 might get you over 1/2 way(for most & newbe's) and good luck trying to stay away from town food,when you get the food mood, and towns just up ahead. like putting crack in the hand of a crackhead!!! IMO. If i had to maildrop, wouldn't be very many of them IMO. HAVE A GOOD HIKE

Stormennorm
04-15-2009, 15:08
I spent 3200 last year was on the trail for 5 months and 10 days stayed at a few motels and most the hostels. Would eat out in most towns and only did 2 or 3 mail drops. Also had are fair share of zero days which can get pricy if zeroing in town.

mister krabs
04-15-2009, 15:26
Steak meat is like $13 a pound up here. Is that crazy or am I just bitchen?

yer just bitchen, all depends on the cut. Here it's 13 for tenderloin, 12 for ribeye, 11 for strip, down to 6 for flatiron, 4 on sale.

bigcranky
04-15-2009, 15:29
7 months and 7 grand is only $1000 per month. For all your living expenses. These days it would be difficult to match that off-trail, what with rent, transportation, food, utilities, and all the other expenses of daily living (cable, internet, phones, etc.)

I know that a lot of thru-hikers still have to cover some expenses back home, but -- for those hikers who are free of encumbrances, being on the trail is pretty inexpensive compared to the alternative.

hawkeye
04-15-2009, 15:39
I'm glad my wife works but I still have to make up my ernings for the time I'm gone. Also I would try for six months being away. She can visit me half way and again in Ma/NH. Now I have to find work to save up!(got laid off and only working part time now)

ChinMusic
04-15-2009, 16:13
I know that a lot of thru-hikers still have to cover some expenses back home, but -- for those hikers who are free of encumbrances, being on the trail is pretty inexpensive compared to the alternative.
It is a VERY cheap hobby.

JAK
04-15-2009, 20:16
yer just bitchen, all depends on the cut. Here it's 13 for tenderloin, 12 for ribeye, 11 for strip, down to 6 for flatiron, 4 on sale.Well I guess at least its good to know your feeling my pain. :)

Something I will definitely do if I hike South is Southern BBQ along the way.
Now that alone is worth $1000 a month right there.

slow
04-15-2009, 20:50
What is not said ...all work all year to make money and be on time for work.Now hit the AT and worry about both?

stranger
04-15-2009, 22:32
Cost is greatly affected by town obviously, and the south in particular, has plenty of town stops, hostels, etc... to drain your wallet. Just in the first couple of weeks you have opportunities to spend money at;
- Neels Gap mile 30
- Hiawassee mile 67
- Franklin mile 107
- NOC mile 130ish
- Fontana Dam mile 165ish

As you move further north, town stops get less frequent, atleast convienant ones atleast so you can make up some spending then, but to be honest, money is constantly a problem for hikers, and it's always because they are spending more than they thought.

I'm going again next year, and again money won't be an issue. I could hike this year, but finances would be limited and I like having the freedom of laying in town while the snow falls, or soaking a blister for two days if necessary.

Also, hiking close to town and camping can save you money, as you hit town early in the morning and can get out easily in the same day if you desire. Where as someone with more money might hike 20 into town, then zero the next day, etc...

I've never thru-hiked, but have done many 500+ mile sections over the years, for a thru-hike I wouldn't leave Springer with less than $5000, that would be a minimum for me personally. I think most people will spend what they have, so if you have $3000, you can get by on that, but if you have $6000 I think that can easily be spent over the coarse of 5-6 months.

It would be interesting to see if anyone had a fairly unlimited budget, but only spent $3000 along the way - seems unlikely.

EverydayJourneyman
04-17-2009, 10:04
My pretrip total is $1,539.20, including Springer Mountain shuttle.

I'm not anticipating many room stays and will keep expenditures in town to a minimum. Food has already been purchased and is ready to ship (I may regret this, lol).

I'm really curious how well I'll do considering how much I've travelled in the past, both on unlimited budgets and shoestring.

Two Tents
04-17-2009, 10:29
I have all my gear plus extra to mail if/when needed. I have 1500 bucks plus a 500 spare fund to dip into. It's my hike and I have a dozen or so mail drops ready to go( yea, yea I know) I don't want to be in town anymore than I have to. " I been to a town Del". You can't spend much if ya stay in the woods. --- Two Tents.

JAK
04-17-2009, 11:12
It can be done and the hiking is supposed to be about the woods anyway, not the towns.
Good on ya. The better the challenge the better the fun.

My hikes up here are about that cheap, except for the gas to/from, but I'm working on that. When I go hiking for a week here it saves me money compared to our usual lifestyle choices, Tim Horton's and McDonalds and so forth more than we should. The big thing I want to change this summer is less driving to trailheads. My plan this year is to bike or paddle to the trailheads. I'll save alot on gas that way and feel better about my hike. Pass fewer restaraunts along the way also.

JAK
04-17-2009, 11:15
Good nutrition and fitness is relatively cheap.
It's the sin I need to learn to skimp on. :D

stranger
04-18-2009, 03:28
It largely depends on experience. You might "anticipate" that you won't spend much time in town but every single year many hikers find they have blown 50% of their available funds halfway through Virginia.

If you have hiked long distances before and know from experience that you can walk by motels while it's snowing, or cook at a hostel instead of getting pizza, then you would know best how much money you might need.

On the other hand, if you don't have the experience, you might find $1500 blown before you reach the Shenandoahs, it happens every year to so many hikers. I agree the trail isn't about town, but you can't hike the trail without town, trail services in towns are a part of the trail, and they cost money.

There are very few hikers who could make the trip on $1500, better to be prepared then surprised, but it certainly can be done if you are disciplined.

Engine
04-18-2009, 08:10
Maybe a more important question would be "what is the cost of NOT doing a thru-hike"?

Blissful
04-18-2009, 20:39
$4,000 is about average for a hike. Need to take into account equipment replacement and failure also. 2,000 plus miles is hard on the equipment.

I've seen many have to quit because of lack of funds. Better to be safe then see your dream fade on account of money.

Diamond Diggs
04-19-2009, 17:49
I am torn! My ideas about the trail are very romantic, in thatthe idea of walking a path through 14 states -away from the hussle and bussle of normality- and taking in the wonders of appalacian creation thrills me to my core. What inspired me to want to thru hike the AT, was not the shops in towns or the man made attractions along the way - It was the thrill of an adventure and pilgrimage so to speak. It was discovering culture of the mountain towns and getting to know the people. The thought of sleeping in the woods night after night for six months and the challenges that would come with that. This is what inspired me, this is why I began dreaming for a chance to do the same.

But, on the other hand... I want to be realistic. I know passing up a warm bed when the snow is dropping and I am frozen to the bone will be not only challenging, but possibly unlikely, and I will not even start to suggest that I pass up a chance to eat a real meal any chance I get.

Here is why I am torn:
1. FOOD!
-I figured that I would dehydrate my own meals (less bulky, less weight, and endless variety - less chance of getting tired eating the same stuff, and besides the price of postage, it would be practically free.)
-No mail drops would mean buying along the trail (=more weight, more bulk, and more money)
-mail drops = less flexibility, the hassle of locating your stuff, and possibly having to eat something your not in the mood for.
-My big question is on mail drops is: Is it even possible to use majority of mail drops for resuply?

2. TOWN LIFE/ZERO DAYS/BUDGET

I am not a big partier, so I would not be spending a ton of money on alcohol and pizza. I am sure I might want a bit of a break and would enjoy catching a movie now and then along the way, or perhaps enjoys some local bands playing their music in some hole in the wall establishments. Thats always nice. But here is where I need some direction:
-From what I have heard from most thru hikers, the average number of zero days are around 15-30 (someone correct me if I am wrong, bc im only guestamating). That being said, I figured a max of 30 zero days for a sixish month thru hike. I figured for an average zero day (sometimes more, sometimes less):
10.00 nice hot meal
25.00 hostel stays
10.00 activity
15.00 snacks/little extra trail treat/laundry

60.00 x 30 = 1800.00

Is this not realistic?

I live in SE Tennessee, and I am less than 2hours from any given point of the trail from Springer to the end of the SMNP. I am familiar with all the towns through this section so more than likely if there will be a zero day in this section, I will be at home or with a friend. When it comes to food, entertainment, and accomadations, what expenses am I missing aside from gear replacement, postage, side trips?

Peaks
04-19-2009, 18:09
One of the main reason why mail drops don't work is that your appetite changes. What you think is appealing before hiking, will not be nearly so appealing months later on the trail. So, many people dump much of their mail drops and stock up at the local grocery store anyway.

stranger
04-19-2009, 22:49
It also depends on what kind of hike you want to have, I mean, along the trail you will always be around other hikers, unless you camp between shelters (and most hikers don't do this), so often town is the only time you might have time to yourself, and staying at hostels means you will be around hikers, often quite a few.

For me personally, I tend to stay at motels, which adds cost in terms of money but I like resting in town, doing whatever I want to do, and a motel lets you do that. A hostel, although I appreciate their services, is kinda like a shelter in town to some degree - so I tend to avoid them.

But it definitely comes down to discipline, I mean you could send a mail drop to Neels Gap, resupply, and camp a few miles up the trail that night, you can also hitch into Hiawassee and hit up the supermarket, then hitch out and camp up at Plumorchard, and then overnight in Franklin which is a very cheap town to go into. If you could maintain that type of schedule, and only overnight in town say every 80-100 miles or so, that would make it more realistic.

But many hikers find they stay in town, or get a motel room "just this one time" or "this will be the last time" etc... All this costs money, and it goes quickly when you don't have any coming into your account. Personally when I go again next year, I'm blowing by places like Neels Gap and NOC, largely because they are close to other towns, better towns, which I would rather spend time in, and money. I kinda like the town element of a hike, meeting the locals, experiencing the culture - even for a few hours.

If you avoided all towns/hostels/etc (other than picking up food and nothing else) with the exceptions of places like:
- Franklin, mile 107ish
- Gatlinburg, mile 205ish
- Hot Springs, mile 270ish
- Erwin, mile 340ish
- Damascus, mile 460ish
- Pearisburg, mile 620ish
etc....

You could probably get by on a dollar a mile, but there are literally heaps of places inbetween all those listed above that may "only" cost $20-30 bucks, but always seem to add up to more than that, and those places often end up being a major cost when it all adds up.

JAK
04-19-2009, 23:15
I think it is possible to buy food that is just and light and cheap and compact as dehydrating your own food, and still get some reasonable variety. I could be wrong on that, but I think one of the things that would keep me going would be the challenge of working out and solving some of these problems along the way. That is the biggest thing I have against the idea of mail drops. I could see mailing some stuff ahead though, if that is the best solution in some situations once I am on the trail and talking to folks and working stuff out. I wouldn't want to plan much more than a week ahead.

I think some zero days or nero days could be taken on the trail as well as off the trail. I haven't done a hike over 6 days yet, but I think I would plan on a zero or nero once a week. A day of rest so to speak, not neccessarily Sunday, but perhaps.

What I might plan ahead if I ever do the AT is which towns to stop in for more than a resupply. Something like the list above would be helpful. I would do some research to find out what sort of towns might be good for taking an extra break. What I might want to do for a break depends on whats available as I have different interests.

Sailing, Live music and entertainment, Museums, Chess, Art Galleries, Historic Sites, Southern BBQ, Arboretums, Insectariums, Battlegrounds, Paddling, Fine Dining (I know I already said that one), Coffee shop with nice view or chess or live music, Visiting a friend along the way, Libraries, Farmers Markets, Parades, Highland Games, Caving (other than into temptations but some of that also), Running race, Hunting, Archery, Woodcrafting, other stuff I've never seen or done before.

EverydayJourneyman
04-20-2009, 11:38
I'm very resistant to staying in hotels/motels/hostels on my thru-hike. One, because of my career, I stay in hotels roughly 42-46 weeks out of the year.

But two, I have this charity component to my hike and having a room, even once a week or every other week, I don't know, seems off. I want the woods damnit!

stranger
04-21-2009, 22:28
Again it comes down to experience, many hikers anticipate one type of hike but later find it's much different in practice. If personal experience demonstrates that you can stay in the woods for 3 weeks straight, cool beans, but if it's not based on actual experience, it might be quite unrealistic based on what I've seen over the years.

Also, the single biggest reason why prospective long-distance hikers quit early is: "The trail wasn't what I expected"

Something to consider atleast

CrumbSnatcher
04-21-2009, 22:38
newbees $2.00-$2.50 per mile.IMO for a 5-6 month hike. Avoid all the hostels and motels you want! you going to skip all the places to grub? too. restraunts,gas stations,deli's,waysides,bakeries, etc... good luck! ever heard of the food mood? it grabs ya right before towns. and can be a bitch to shake off.
i always run out or very low on cash near the end,it sucks believe me. just saying save up as much as you can, and hit up family before you go.ask them, later on if I need it will you help out with a loan? have a good hike

Panzer1
04-21-2009, 22:51
The more money you got, the better.

Panzer

superman
04-22-2009, 00:04
The more money you got, the better.

Panzer

When I make a town stop there are only two reasons why I stay in motels. They are because it's raining and the other is because it's not raining.:)

JAK
04-22-2009, 07:57
Motels and restaraunts and pizza and beer joints are not neccessary.
To some rare people they are not even desirable, ever, but especially on a hike.

Personally I have a fondness for pizza and beer joints now and then, but not every week.
Also, I like truck stops and places like that that have good coffee and real food.

But I can't stand motels. Ever. I've been conditioned to really hate staying in motels.
Just the way it is with me. Also I've learned to hate fast food like McDonald's. I just can't stomach it any more. Too many better healthier options. I like real food too much.

Skyline
04-22-2009, 08:21
If you budget $1,000 per month after buying your first assortment of gear you should be more than OK. Keep in mind you will likely need to replace a few of those items along the way (either doesn't live up to your expectations or just plain breaks).

$1,000 per month will allow you the freedom to not sweat the money when wants and needs come up. If you don't actually spend all the money budgeted, that's a bonus.

Having hiked both (1) frugally and (2) hiked without too much concern for finances—the latter is more fun and less stressful.

YMMV.

Diamond Diggs
04-22-2009, 09:40
It is good advice to save as much as you can and have it available to you and if you dont need it great, but at least you have it if you need it. This is obviously the way to go. It is very important that every one is informed of the reality of expenses that come with a thru-hike and how easy it is to blow through money in town.

But at the same time I think it is also important not to declare it an impossibility to take on the journey with a tight budget. There are many that live on a lower income and are already use to making sacrifices. So for some making those same sacrifices on the trail will not be as challenging to them as it would many others. For some, saving so much money ontop of all their other responsibilities is much more of an impossibility. Making the trip on a much lower budget may be the only way they could ever have the opportunity for this experience.
So, IMO(from what I gather from everyone's experience) - It is crucial for everyone to know the reality of the challenges involved with thru-hiking on a minimal budget. But can it be done.... yes. Will there be sacrifices.... yes. Is there a chance of running out of money and having to make a choice to prematurely leave the trail.... yes. But if your mind is set, you may be stretched and pushed beyond what you thought you were capable of (which from listening to all those who have gone before - most say this to be true reguardless), but it is possible.

IMO - if you know it is not likely you would ever be able to save enough to go comfortly, go anyway - dont let a dream die just because there is a chance you may not make it all the way (there is always that chance). Just know you have been advised from all those who have made it through, and know the challenges you will face and be prepared for whatever may be.

JAK
04-22-2009, 10:37
Well said.

You can save alot by hiking closer to home also, especially in the early learning stages.

Madison County Owl
04-23-2009, 07:47
That sounds about right.
Its cheaper than staying home and watching satilite TV or going out to dinner once a week and you gain such interesting and quiky friends
most deffinitly cheaper then Disney world

Hiker Chris
04-25-2009, 12:27
I am going on tight funds myself this year, only $1000 tops, so I expect I may have to get a job for a week to finish. If so, so be it. I already plan to cut as many town luxuries as possible, so I'll hope for a little luck.

Bearpaw
04-25-2009, 13:51
5 and a 1/2 months at $4400. This was 10 years ago mind you.

I DID splurge in Hot Springs (5 motel nights while my girlfriend visited and a couple of parties) and I flew home for two weeks for a friend's wedding. So it would be reasonable to say $3500-$4000. I stayed in hostels when they were available. I also paired up to save on hotel rooms a few times.

When I DID hit towns, I ate LOTS. As much as I could hold. I still dropped 40 pounds and went from 16% body fat to just a little under 10%. It was a real struggle to stay fed. Don't lose sight of this expense along the way.

George
04-25-2009, 14:05
Putting a price per mile on a hike is absurd, money spent has nothing to do with miles walked the person that does a hundred day hike will carry/use less gear and have much less social/entertainment spending- will hike alone 90%. The person who does 8-15 mile days (6-7 month hike), takes zeros without trying to get freebies,hikes with a group , does side trips/activities and carries/uses more gear will spend more per day and have many more days To buy food, fuel, water treatment and clean your clothes/self while averaging 22m/day (100 day hike) on 15$ a day for a hundred days is ~1500 ~(nothing here for shoes, clothing, gear or transportation to and from the trail) when you break it down like this you see that unless you are SUPER HIKER who can do big miles every day bare foot, eating little, never bathing and wearing just a cape. Then even 3000 is very tight for the style of hike that will have a good chance of completion

Kanati
04-25-2009, 22:08
About 3 grand plus gears cost. One thing I found was that the farther north I got, the more it cost me. I think the reason was the availability of eating joints. Down south I was staying on the trail and cooking more. But I got so tired of trail food that I spent more time finding diners and ready to eat food from the resupply stops.

Blissful
04-25-2009, 22:57
I am going on tight funds myself this year, only $1000 tops, so I expect I may have to get a job for a week to finish. If so, so be it. I already plan to cut as many town luxuries as possible, so I'll hope for a little luck.

Yeah, you will need it. Luck and a job most certainly (and with the economy, might be tough to come by), which I know hikers have done in the past but it was difficult for them to finish. And I know several that dropped out with the lack of money. Might consider a section for now to enjoy it and return when you have the funds.

truthisnature
05-07-2009, 13:39
This was the answers I was looking for....I hope to hike when my daughter graduates...so 6 years if I go South almost 7 years if I go North. I have plans to open a special savings account just for the AT and squirrelling away every penny that I can. However I was wondering....how much actual CASH do most hikers carry? Or do you rely mostly on the plastic while on the trail?

stranger
05-19-2009, 04:55
I think it kinda works like this:

- You will spend the money you have

$6000 or $1000, you will spend what you have, or very close to it. I don't think anyone hikes on $1/mile by choice, although I'm sure many might say they do.

10-K
05-20-2009, 10:43
I'm a section hiker and I never met a store I didn't like...

Based on what I know I would feel comfortable starting a thru hike with $7k. Better to have money and not need it than need it and not have it.

Dogwood
05-20-2009, 12:20
There is a wealth of info and commentary here on WB that has covered this topic in GREAT detail.

stranger
05-21-2009, 06:47
I probably carry about $100 - $150 cash on me if possible, there's nothing worse than arriving in a town and not having cash when you need it, like last year in Hot Springs when one ATM was busted, and the other one was out of money.

Also, another good idea is to drop $100 cash into a ziplock and bury it into the darkest, deepest part of your pack and forget about it, for emergencies only.

World-Wide
05-21-2009, 07:07

I'm a huge fan of diet Coke also, but with plenty of Captain Morgan's thrown in! :D

healthymom
05-21-2009, 10:29
My son and I will be hiking together in '11. We have a dedicated savings account already. It has over 3500 in it, part in CDs. Our plan is to have $9-12K for the both of us.
We'll be leaving early March-ish. Must finish by late Aug.
Does this sound reasonable? I'm thinking it does.:-?
Dee
healthymom

JAK
05-21-2009, 10:42
I'm thinking way cool mom and lucky son.

Sounds very reasonaby money wise and reasonaby do-able time and distance wise.
Maybe spend a little this summer on a section hike or do you do that already?

garlic08
05-21-2009, 11:20
My son and I will be hiking together in '11. We have a dedicated savings account already. It has over 3500 in it, part in CDs. Our plan is to have $9-12K for the both of us.
We'll be leaving early March-ish. Must finish by late Aug.
Does this sound reasonable? I'm thinking it does.:-?
Dee
healthymom

You'll live like royalty for that much $$$. I've done a couple of very comfortable (though not lavish), double occupancy-type hikes for far less than that ($9+K on the PCT, $7+K on the AT). Excellent goal--best of luck to you!