PDA

View Full Version : Okay, I’ll try a hammock

MintakaCat
04-13-2009, 09:06
Yep, I’m going to give a hammock a try but I need some guidance. I already have a Hennessy Expedition A-sym but I don’t think the tarp that came with it is enough. I am considering a MacCat Ultra tarp or maybe the cheaper JRB 11’ x 10’ Cat Tarp. Any input here would be helpful.

Also, I’m pretty much sold on the JRB under quilt called “The Nest.” I figure I could use that with my Mountain Hardware Phantom 32 degree sleeping bag for much of the time between now and the fall.

Once the weather turns colder I figure I will go back to my Kifaru ParaTipi with the wood stove. But for now the above setup I think will work fine. Am I missing any essential hammock hardware that I have not covered?

CowHead
04-13-2009, 10:11
Before I gave my tent up for the hammock I set the thing up in my back yard and tested there how well you can sleep in the cold, rain, heat, bugs and the occassional bird that thinks it found a new home. I don't use a under quilt but my pad and sleeping bag kept me quite toasty at 25 this winter

Valentine
04-13-2009, 10:54
Pee Bottle.
rings and straps for easy adjustment. (see hammock forums)
Snake Skins for setup in rain.

MintakaCat
04-13-2009, 11:31
Pee Bottle.
rings and straps for easy adjustment. (see hammock forums)
Snake Skins for setup in rain.

On that subject, is it best to keep the under quilt on the hammock and not use the snake skins or remove the under quilt and use the snake skins?

Valentine
04-13-2009, 11:46
Pack the hammock in the snake skins without the underquilt.

cavscout
04-13-2009, 11:58
If you don't already know about figure 9's

http://www.niteize.com/productdetail.php?category_id=29&product_id=159

They make tarp adjustments fast and easy.

coldspring
04-13-2009, 12:05
Yep, I’m going to give a hammock a try but I need some guidance. I already have a Hennessy Expedition A-sym but I don’t think the tarp that came with it is enough. I am considering a MacCat Ultra tarp or maybe the cheaper JRB 11’ x 10’ Cat Tarp. Any input here would be helpful.

Also, I’m pretty much sold on the JRB under quilt called “The Nest.” I figure I could use that with my Mountain Hardware Phantom 32 degree sleeping bag for much of the time between now and the fall.

Once the weather turns colder I figure I will go back to my Kifaru ParaTipi with the wood stove. But for now the above setup I think will work fine. Am I missing any essential hammock hardware that I have not covered?

I'd recommend the MacCat. You might prefer the shape of the JRB, but the quality of construction on the MacCat is superior.

Warbonnet makes a smaller underquilt that fits from your neck to your thighs, you can find info on hammockforums.net.

bigcranky
04-13-2009, 12:36
I have a Maccat Deluxe. It's a good size for the Hennessy. The Ultra is really big, more useful for a winter setup in my opinion.

JaxHiker
04-13-2009, 14:45
I love my MacCat Deluxe.

HikerRanky
04-13-2009, 14:48
I have a Warbonnet Blackbird and a HH Explorer Deluxe.... I recently acquired a MacCat SpinnUL Deluxe tarp. It works great on both the BB and the HH. Can't go wrong with Brian's tarp!

Randy

MintakaCat
04-13-2009, 19:10
Thanks for all the excellent input, I do feel that I have a better handle on this now thanks to all the great folks on WB. :)

Thanks again!

kayak karl
04-13-2009, 19:28
I have a Warbonnet Blackbird and a HH Explorer Deluxe.... I recently acquired a MacCat SpinnUL Deluxe tarp. It works great on both the BB and the HH. Can't go wrong with Brian's tarp!

Randy
same here. can't go wrong with brian's tarps or brandon's (Warbonnet) stuff. The blackbird is a GREAT winter tarp. i withstood 35 mph with 50 mph gusts and 6 in. of snow.:)

Cannibal
04-14-2009, 17:38
same here. can't go wrong with brian's tarps or brandon's (Warbonnet) stuff. The blackbird is a GREAT winter tarp. i withstood 35 mph with 50 mph gusts and 6 in. of snow.:)
Been out there on the Trail too long.:D
Blackbird is a hammock, Superfly is the tarp.

wisenber
04-18-2009, 12:52
I just finished my first Winter under a JRB 11x10. It gives you tons of options for setting up. I've hung from the only two trees I could find together on a bald with winds steady at 30 and gusting to 50 with no failure. Once it gets warm, you can just flip the tarp in half leaving you open to views while allowing for a quick second half deployment if the weather looks ugly.

I can set my 19 oz. 11x10 up smaller, but I can't make a 12 oz. 8x8 bigger.

JRB, Speer, WB and OES all make good quality gear, and you can talk to any of them too. I never got a call back from the person that made my TNF Nuptse.

Rambler
04-26-2009, 00:49
Here are some photos:

http://www.tothewoods.net/HammockCampingDry.html

take-a-knee
04-26-2009, 08:34
You don't need a Macat Ultra for an expedition, get the Deluxe. The Ultra is for the longer hammocks, like the Explorer, essentially a longer Deluxe.

MintakaCat
04-26-2009, 08:56
You don't need a Macat Ultra for an expedition, get the Deluxe. The Ultra is for the longer hammocks, like the Explorer, essentially a longer Deluxe.

Thanks, I did order the Deluxe about a week ago but Brian says I should get it this week or next.

By the way, I ordered the JRB under quilt called “The Nest.” It got here in record time. Those guys at JRB are very fast in their shipping!

hammock engineer
04-26-2009, 09:01
The jacks have a pretty big operation going and keep a good inventory. I use a homemade version of the nest and like it. It takes awhile to get the fit right, just be patient and enjoy.

Brian said he tries to keep some on hand, but is making them while at college. I ordered a McCat Deluxe for a hh a couple years ago. I was a little hesitant to order one online from someone making themselves that was in high school. Everything worked out great. Brian does a great job with those tarps.

take-a-knee
04-26-2009, 12:49
Thanks, I did order the Deluxe about a week ago but Brian says I should get it this week or next.

By the way, I ordered the JRB under quilt called “The Nest.” It got here in record time. Those guys at JRB are very fast in their shipping!

You made two wise purchases.

east_stingray
05-03-2009, 10:28
Let us know what you think about the nest. I like the looks of it, and look forward to your impressions.

MintakaCat
05-13-2009, 21:07

Well, here's an update on obtaining my gear for this hammock setup. Back on the 19th of April I mailed a check for the MacCat Deluxe Tarp and Brian sent me an email on the 26th that he would be sending me the tarp that week.

Nothing showed up so on the 7th or 8th of this month I asked if he had an update on when I should see the tarp. He said he would be sending the tarp out on Saturday and I would see it by Tuesday. Well,it didn't show up yesterday nor today. I'm starting to wonder if I'll ever see this tarp, but I think it will show up someday.

It's no big deal because I got tired of waiting and ordered a JRB 10' x 11' tarp about a week ago and it got here in just 2 days! 2 days!!!! And I must admit that I think I made the right move because I love the way this huge tarp can be set up in many different ways.

So, look for me to sell the MacCat Deluxe Tarp when I get it in the mail. I'll take a small loss but I think I'm going to stick with the JRB stuff from here on out. I do wish that the MacCat tarp would have worked out but thats the way things go sometimes.

bigcranky
05-13-2009, 21:19
Brian is probably in the middle of final exams. He's a college student in a very demanding engineering program. Just email him and see if he's shipped yet, and ask to cancel the order.

HikerRanky
05-14-2009, 18:11
Brian is probably in the middle of final exams. He's a college student in a very demanding engineering program. Just email him and see if he's shipped yet, and ask to cancel the order.

I also seem to recall that he is at Trail Days this year as well.....

take-a-knee
05-15-2009, 18:27
Well, here's an update on obtaining my gear for this hammock setup. Back on the 19th of April I mailed a check for the MacCat Deluxe Tarp and Brian sent me an email on the 26th that he would be sending me the tarp that week.

Nothing showed up so on the 7th or 8th of this month I asked if he had an update on when I should see the tarp. He said he would be sending the tarp out on Saturday and I would see it by Tuesday. Well,it didn't show up yesterday nor today. I'm starting to wonder if I'll ever see this tarp, but I think it will show up someday.

It's no big deal because I got tired of waiting and ordered a JRB 10' x 11' tarp about a week ago and it got here in just 2 days! 2 days!!!! And I must admit that I think I made the right move because I love the way this huge tarp can be set up in many different ways.

So, look for me to sell the MacCat Deluxe Tarp when I get it in the mail. I'll take a small loss but I think I'm going to stick with the JRB stuff from here on out. I do wish that the MacCat tarp would have worked out but thats the way things go sometimes.

You might want to keep them both if you hammock all year. The JRB 10x11 is a winter tarp. The Macat DLX is a three season tarp.

Wags
05-15-2009, 19:20
mintaka

same thing happened with me and brian. tarp arrived a little over a week after he said it would. finals + trail days. i think his finals are over now, but he's definitely at trail days. A+ for workmanship on the tarp, C for customer service

MintakaCat
05-15-2009, 20:07
You might want to keep them both if you hammock all year. The JRB 10x11 is a winter tarp. The Macat DLX is a three season tarp.

You lost me on that one. Can you explain that concept a little bit? I'm just not sure how the JRB is a winter tarp.

Also, thanks for the input Wags.

take-a-knee
05-15-2009, 21:27
You lost me on that one. Can you explain that concept a little bit? I'm just not sure how the JRB is a winter tarp.

Also, thanks for the input Wags.

It is wider, so you can pitch it low to the ground. It has enough tie outs so you can angle the ends in towards the middle to keep your hammock setup from simulating a wind tunnel. Some here say a Macat Deluxe and a hammock sock are the way to go. I don't have enough experience with either to comment.

bschneid
06-01-2009, 18:21
I have to say, after using the Hennessy Hammock I will never go back to a tent. Its more comfortable and more portable! It works as a tent, a hammock, and a chair! Does anyone agree with me on this one?

Trillium
06-01-2009, 22:04
Brian gave me GREAT customer service! I saw him at Trail Days late Saturday afternoon and told him what I wanted. I paid him on Sunday morning and he gave me the new MacCat Deluxe tarp and promised to mail out the other items on Tuesday. I was surprised that he was committing to that since he had to drive all the way back home on Sunday then back to school on Monday. Well, he did as he said and I received the items a few days later.

laherb
06-01-2009, 23:05
I have to say, after using the Hennessy Hammock I will never go back to a tent. Its more comfortable and more portable! It works as a tent, a hammock, and a chair! Does anyone agree with me on this one?

It's a SuperShelter! kinda cheesy. i had fogotten how to setup my tent, not complaining though.

callook66
06-05-2009, 05:38
here, here!

MintakaCat
06-05-2009, 06:52

I must admit that I found the hammock to be about the same as sleeping on my Exped DownMat 9 Air Pad. To me the comfort was about the same.

I guess the logic behind this is what's the difference between sleeping on laminated, polyester fabric 2 inches above the ground or 2 feet above the ground? IMHO I think most that find a hammock more comfortable are using a thiner pad on the ground, which if that's the case, a hammock would be more comfortable.

In using a hammock being off the ground during a rainy night is a big plus. It's not much fun waking up in a puddle of water. In addition, having more locations to setup a hammock rather than a flat spot for a tent is another plus.

MintakaCat
06-05-2009, 08:48
For the record this is what I ended up with for a hammock setup:
JRB 10' x 11' tarp
Hennessy Hammock Expedition Asym
JRB underquilt

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/9/3/7/7/long_branch9.jpg

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/9/3/7/7/long_branch8.jpg

Overall, I like this hammock setup and I’ll stick with it in warmer weather. I have considered using it in the winter but I don’t think it is as good as my ParaTipi with the wood stove.

:-?Hmmm.....Maybe I’ll invent a hammock with a wood stove, lol.

winger
06-05-2009, 18:05
Nice setup, I have the same tarp, along with an OES ultra. That JRB setup looks like it will be a bit "stuffy" in the summer, need a breeze through there!