PDA

View Full Version : pot cozy

gtg
04-13-2009, 11:48
Hi,
Some time ago I met some one who made a pot cozy out of one of those foil lined sun protectors used in windshields of cars. Has any one tried this? I am looking for advice on how to make one both for a titan kettle and also for freezer bag cooking. I also will post the same in homemade gear. Thanks for the advice and help.

bigcranky
04-13-2009, 12:41
I bought a roll of Reflectix at Home Depot. I use aluminum duct tape, and cut the Reflectix to size (using the pot as a guide.) It's really easy. The only downside is I have enough Reflectix to make about 1,000 pot cozies. (But I make them for friends, along with bag cozies, so I am working my way through the roll.)

mkmangold
04-13-2009, 13:01
I bought a roll of Reflectix at Home Depot. I use aluminum duct tape, and cut the Reflectix to size (using the pot as a guide.) It's really easy. The only downside is I have enough Reflectix to make about 1,000 pot cozies. (But I make them for friends, along with bag cozies, so I am working my way through the roll.)
I used some left over after I wrapped a water heater with Reflectix. Now, though, I read somewhere about someone using his balaclava as a pot cozy (you know, multi-use).

bigcranky
04-13-2009, 13:05
Yeah, but I'm usually wearing my balaclava in cool or cold weather -- the kind of weather where a pot cozy makes more of a difference.

Johnny Swank
04-13-2009, 13:13
Here's directions for one I made with an old blue foam pad. Works great!

http://sourcetosea.net/how-to-make-a-pot-cozy/

atraildreamer
04-13-2009, 15:29
Hi,
Some time ago I met some one who made a pot cozy out of one of those foil lined sun protectors used in windshields of cars. Has any one tried this? I am looking for advice on how to make one both for a titan kettle and also for freezer bag cooking. I also will post the same in homemade gear. Thanks for the advice and help.

I used an insulated, reusable shopping bag that I got for $1.99. I had overloaded the bag and ripped a handle off of it. I took the remains and made a cozy for FBC, my metal camp cup and a pot I use. The bag has an inner foam layer, with the foil on top. The bag has an outer layer of cloth like material that allows you to sew the cozy together thus saving weight. The cloth covering also allow you to get a better grip (aren't we all losing our grip ?! :D) in wet conditions, and protects you from burns.

mkmangold
04-13-2009, 16:47
I used an insulated, reusable shopping bag that I got for $1.99. I had overloaded the bag and ripped a handle off of it. I took the remains and made a cozy for FBC, my metal camp cup and a pot I use...

Think it would make a nice a nice hat, too?

bigcranky
04-13-2009, 17:33

I can make a hat or a brooch or a pterodactyl....

mkmangold
04-13-2009, 18:07
I can make a hat or a brooch or a pterodactyl....

A pterodactyl? Surely, you jest.

JRiker
04-17-2009, 19:42
don't call him "shirley". he's big and cranky, who knows what could happen...

Tinker
04-17-2009, 23:00
I have used a cozy made out of blue foam for a number of years. I use duct tape to hold it together. I used my pot as a template and cut the top, bottom, and sides from an old ccf pad. It is probably easier to get your pot into and out of than the reflectix type, and I use it to hold utensils, my coffee filter, etc. while I'm using the pot to heat water.

BobTheBuilder
04-17-2009, 23:41
Some time ago I met some one who made a pot cozy out of one of those foil lined sun protectors used in windshields of cars.

That is exactly what I did. I got my windshield thingy at KMart and I think I had enough for about three. I only made one, though, and I have about 450 miles on it, mostly using it for freezerbag cooking. I've had to redo the duct tape a couple of times, and it's getting kind of ratty, so I might make a new one. Still, a pretty good bargain.

Many Walks
04-18-2009, 23:42
I've seen the sun protectors at the Dollar Store. Lots of material for a $1.

mister krabs
04-19-2009, 14:55
I used a used fedex padded envelope and clear packing tape. Works great, cost nothing.

discgolfer
04-19-2009, 18:47
neoprene wine bottle cozy, drink mixer tin with lid. My stove, wind screen, pot stand and spork all fit inside and its all free stuff found around the house.

astrogirl
04-19-2009, 21:28
I've used a reflictix freezer bag cozy. It shed shiny parts of itself over time.

I use an insulbright one now with better results, but that's a specialty material, and reflectix will certainly do the job.

JAK
04-19-2009, 21:59
It depends somewhat on your pot/mug what sort of cozy is best.

Reflectix isn't actually supposed to be all that great. Lots of false advertising wit that product. It basically bubble wrap and aluminum foil. You could make your own rather than buy a bundle. Blue foam and aluminum tape is more insulative for the same weight. I like the multiple use options. Wool or fleece hat. Wool sock. Depending on pot vs mug.
Good point that you usually need hat when you need a cozy.

I am still working on Fosters Beer Can Mug/Pot with sealable lid. I've cut the top off a 1.36 litre PET Helmans Mayonaise Jar. It fits well. Now I need to find a way to epoxy and perhaps heat shrink it on. Anyhow, the point of that diversion is that I will still want a removable cozy when I am done, and the removable cozy will also be important for giving it strenght when drinking or eating out of it and also when it is empty. Also, a cozy should bring it up to just the right diameter for most water bottle holders. For a material I'm thinking neoprene. It would be nice if neoprene socks might work, as you might be less likely to need cozy and neoprene socks at the same time.

sarbar
04-19-2009, 23:54
I've used a reflictix freezer bag cozy. It shed shiny parts of itself over time.

I use an insulbright one now with better results, but that's a specialty material, and reflectix will certainly do the job.

If one uses Insul Bright, be forewarned that if you cut a lot of it, do wear a face mask!!!! I cut the fabric weekly. I wear a face mask and do a full cleanup afterward - the mylar and polyester will float like crazy and you don't want to breathe it in. It also will dull needles and scissors - a rotary blade is better for cutting.

IB is what we use in our FBC cozies btw....and as a side bennie, the material is manafactured about a 100 or so miles from where we live. Pretty cool indeed.

atraildreamer
04-21-2009, 19:30

Tin foil hats...good protection from alien rays!!!:eek::banana

snowhoe
04-21-2009, 19:34
When I fist looked at the title of this thread I thought that it said"pots cozy".