PDA

View Full Version : Pocket Rocket Windscreen

hikergirl1120
04-13-2009, 11:54
Do you use one?

And if so....which one?

Chaco Taco
04-13-2009, 11:59
Make one out of high grade aluminum foil.
Or MSR actually makes one for the whisperlite that will cover the stove up to the lower quarter of the pot. I would just make one if I was you.

Chaco Taco
04-13-2009, 12:01
Measure out the diameter of the pot and add 4 inches. Cut three strips of foil and make the bottom one about an dinch longer and wider than the rest. Fold up the sides and you have a windscreen

Chaco Taco
04-13-2009, 12:02
Sorry, also, are you mailing yourself canisters???? They are getting harder to come by each year because so many are switching to alcohol.

hikergirl1120
04-13-2009, 12:13
no I was planning on just buying along the way

I am not too big on the alcohol stoves....I think it's just inexperience

hikergirl1120
04-13-2009, 12:14
I seriously do not think I will ever find one piece of gear that I get a positive response to. I am at a loss SERIOUSLY, this is becoming frustrating. I will bring my alcohol as a back up I guess....I mean I hear really negative things about those as well!!

CrumbSnatcher
04-13-2009, 12:30
IMO you are not supposed to wrap a wind screen around a stove that traps the fuel inside of the windscreen. the wind screen for a whisperlight seperates the fuel from the stove. your asking for trouble trapping the heat in with the fuel. i never had a problem with not having a windscreen with the pocket rocket. if its real windy out cook behind a log or a big rock.WHEN I BOUGHT MY POCKET ROCKET IT DID NOT COME WITH A WINDSCREEN i wonder why?

FamilyGuy
04-13-2009, 12:30
Windscreen with canister stove = BOOM

mkmangold
04-13-2009, 12:31
I seriously do not think I will ever find one piece of gear that I get a positive response to. I am at a loss SERIOUSLY, this is becoming frustrating. I will bring my alcohol as a back up I guess....I mean I hear really negative things about those as well!!

I use the Pocket Rocket and like it. One of my sons uses Zelph's Starlyte (one of the best alcohol stoves ever), and another the Jetboil. It's a matter of preference, I suppose, so don't be intimidated by other peoples' opinions.

Chaco Taco
04-13-2009, 12:36
IMO you are not supposed to wrap a wind screen around a stove that traps the fuel inside of the windscreen. the wind screen for a whisperlight seperates the fuel from the stove. your asking for trouble trapping the heat in with the fuel. i never had a problem with not having a windscreen with the pocket rocket. if its real windy out cook behind a log or a big rock.WHEN I BOUGHT MY POCKET ROCKET IT DID NOT COME WITH A WINDSCREEN i wonder why?
Never had any problem, that why I make it longer so it can wrap loosly around it. Windscreen or not, the pocket rocket is a great choice!

Chaco Taco
04-13-2009, 12:39
And I may have mis stated what i meant. I just use the windscreen to place in front and wrap loosly in a cresent not all the way around, my bad for not being more clear about that. I do know that trapping that gas in is bad. Sorry!

CrumbSnatcher
04-13-2009, 12:41
Windscreen with canister stove = BOOM
boom and possibly ouch. glad you didn't blow up chaco.

Chaco Taco
04-13-2009, 12:45
Thanks Crumb. Yea what i meant to explain is that for a screen you can just make a shield, works good. The Zelph stoves are great. But I cant say enough about the Pocket Rocket! Just know that the canisters are getting harder to find.

hikergirl1120
04-13-2009, 12:52
I guess in a worse case scenario I will have a cansiter over nighted to me...I will bring my little alcohol stove with me...Retro gave it to me so I suppose I should put the gift to some use! LOL

hikergirl1120
04-13-2009, 12:52
Oh and good call on the BOOM!!

Johnny Thunder
04-13-2009, 12:55
I saw a guy use one on his pocket rocket for the whole stretch this summer. But, I got to agree it's probably more trouble than it's worth. If MSR intended (or could even figure out a safe way) to sell you a windscreen at a hefty mark-up I'm sure they would have by now. Something must be keeping them from doing so.

Hmmmm?!?

mister krabs
04-13-2009, 13:48
I don't have a pocket rocket, my cannister stove is an old GAZ stove. It has a windscreen that looks like a dish below the burner but above the cannister. I wonder if you could make one out of a pot pie tin that would serve the same function.

FamilyGuy
04-13-2009, 13:50
I should have been less direct, perhaps. But what you do not want is the fuel canister getting too hot as it does increae the chance of explosion. Can you do it? Yes. But you can also play Russian Roulette and not get shot but I don't recommend it...:D

However - now I understand what you are trying to do - simply block the wind from one side at a suitable distance from the canister. Could you not just use a piece of wood laying around or some other natural wind break?

Chaco Taco
04-13-2009, 13:59
I should have been less direct, perhaps. But what you do not want is the fuel canister getting too hot as it does increae the chance of explosion. Can you do it? Yes. But you can also play Russian Roulette and not get shot but I don't recommend it...:D

However - now I understand what you are trying to do - simply block the wind from one side at a suitable distance from the canister. Could you not just use a piece of wood laying around or some other natural wind break?

The only question would be, what if she wants to camp on Max Patch, no rocks or wood up there. Could set up the old sleeping pad as a screen in windy conditions.

hikergirl1120
04-13-2009, 14:24
Or just eat snickers LOL

TJ aka Teej
04-13-2009, 14:50
Here's the kind of windscreen I use for my Pocket Rocket:
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/00041.html
It hasn't blown up yet.

earlyriser26
04-13-2009, 15:19
Love my pocket Rocket. If it real windy I just use what ever I have or get out of the wind. My favorite stove ever.

skinewmexico
04-13-2009, 15:35
Remember, if someone has a complaint about gear, they post and post and post. If it works, you rarely hear about it. It's kind of a squeeky wheel thing. And that gear may have worked for thousands of people. Just remember, if you use a windscreen on a canister stove, configure it so the canister doesn't overheat, or build one like the one Teej linked to.

nufsaid
04-13-2009, 15:46
If you are only boiling water alcohol stoves are great.

Rainman
04-13-2009, 16:06
It hasn't blown up yet.

very cool. it wraps the burner and pot but not the canister. looks a bit more like a cozy than a windscreen though.

Chaco Taco
04-13-2009, 16:25
Or just eat snickers LOL

I just now got to where I can eat those again, :jump

FamilyGuy
04-13-2009, 18:43
It hasn't blown up yet.

Yes - that's more like a pot cozy than a windscreen. However - it is extremely cool and looks like it would do just fine in blocking a bit of wind. I wonder if the stove now performs more efficiently actually saving you fuel with that set up.

Any ideas?

peakbagger
04-15-2009, 10:05
Heres my heat shield. It works well in windy conditions and increases the stoves efficiency by about 20%. There is no noticable heating of the cannister as it works like a chimney. The lock seam is lose so the tension of the aluminum flashing keeps it hooked. It stores inside the pot and takes up no room. Adjusting the fuel lever takes some practice.

JaxHiker
04-15-2009, 10:16
It hasn't blown up yet.
This is like the one Snow Peak makes for the Giga (http://www.rei.com/product/668815).

Snowleopard
04-15-2009, 12:21
The only place I've needed a wind screen on my canister stove has been my back yard (windy hilltop). I'll be making myself one, similar to the one posted by TJ. One commercial version is the Primus EtaExpress stove, heavy, but look at the windscreen and think about mimicing it in aluminum foil. http://www.primus.se/Templates/Pages/ProductSheet.aspx?ItemId=79529

Grocery stores have cheap aluminum foil baking pans that can be modified; the one I'll use looks like its for an angel food cake-- about 4" high and 9" in diameter. This is stronger than regular aluminum foil but still very light. They look like this but bigger:
http://www.webstaurantstore.com/3-1-4-4-oz-foil-utility-cup-100-pk/99942330.html
I've seen the Snow Peak wind screen at REI; I think something coming up higher on the pot, fitted to the pot would work better.
--Walter
P.S. The Primus Eta pots are great but kind of heavy; they boil water faster than a regular pan on my Snow Peak canister stove. I got a 2.1 liter Eta pot that I'll use for winter or when cooking for 2 or more people.

Jaybird
04-15-2009, 12:36
Do you use one?
And if so....which one?

NOPE!:D

See ya'll out there (w/ "Jigsaw" & "Model-T") NOBO
Harpers Ferry to Swatara Gap,PA May 2-14