PDA

View Full Version : Florida Hikers

hikingbear
04-13-2009, 12:07
I am looking to meet up with other female Floridians. Most of my friends are not into hiking (well staying the night and peeing in the woods). I want to do a section hike from Springer to Neels gap either the first or last weekend in May. Anyone interested send me a PM.

Thanks

Cuffs
04-13-2009, 19:44
I wish I still lived in FL... I was just on the other side of the county from you in San Antonio!

meghan
04-14-2009, 12:39
im in fl! in the tampa area... where are you?

hikingbear
04-14-2009, 19:44
im in fl! in the tampa area... where are you?

North of Tampa. About 30-40 minutes.

healthymom
04-14-2009, 20:57
Hey Hiking Bear!
I hadn't heard from you and was wondering what had happened to you.
My son and I did a 40 mile, 3 day weekend over Valentine's Day. This weekend we are doing a couple of short hikes with FTA. We're doing the Little Manatee River Hike on Sat (wrong direction for you, I know). On Sun we're doing the Lettuce Lake exercise walk.
We did 20 miles Thu & Fri on the Flatwoods loop.
I'm thinking of doing a couple of overnighters right after school gets out. When he turns 15 on June 15th, he'll be going to work as a lifeguard. After he starts working, I'll have a little more time to get away by myself.
Let me know if any of that sounds good to you and we can talk.
I'm open to any new hiking buddies from this area. Most of the time I hike with my son. It's really handy to have a Boy Scout around. We do a lot of the FTA hikes.
In the meantime, we're outfitting for out thru in '11.
Looking forward to making new friends.
Dee
(healthymom)

G. Rabbit
04-14-2009, 22:36
Hey, you're all right near me! I'm in Tampa too. I'll be leaving for the trail on May 2nd, but any hikes going on in the next few weeks would be cool.

Dee, I was planning to go to Lettuce Lake Park on this Sunday too. Was going to go last weekend, but someone told me it gets a little crazy there on Easter weekend. Where is the Flatwoods loop you hiked?

healthymom
04-14-2009, 23:20
Hi G. Rabbit!:welcome
What part of the city are you in? I'm near Busch & 275.
I was going to do Lettuce Lake last weekend, but had a tummy bug.
there are 2 places the Flatwoods loop crosses Morris Bridge Rd; at Trout Creek and just above Morris Bridge. Actually you roadwalk a couple hundred yards. You can get a trail map at the ranger station in Flatwoods. Be aware that the mileages given on the map are wrong. When figuring the total mileage for the loop, they left out a section. The map says it's a 15 mile loop, it's closer to 18 or so.
Be aware that the walkers that meet at Lettuce Lake are the geriatric exercise walkers. :rolleyes: Nice people, but they stick to the paved loop and are slow. I prefer to the boardwalk.
Perhaps we'll meet up on Sun. My schedule says meet at 8:30. What time are you planning on getting there? My son will be with me. He's 14.
Hope to meet up soon!
Dee
(healthymom)

hikingbear
04-15-2009, 08:15
Are you leaving for a thru May 2nd?

Hey, you're all right near me! I'm in Tampa too. I'll be leaving for the trail on May 2nd, but any hikes going on in the next few weeks would be cool.

Dee, I was planning to go to Lettuce Lake Park on this Sunday too. Was going to go last weekend, but someone told me it gets a little crazy there on Easter weekend. Where is the Flatwoods loop you hiked?

G. Rabbit
04-15-2009, 21:48
Are you leaving for a thru May 2nd?

No, just doing another long section nobo starting in VA. Right now it looks like I'll have up to 3 1/2 months free to hike this summer.

Ladytrekker
04-18-2009, 13:35
Any near Jacksonville

Blissful
04-19-2009, 21:28
PM Mercy - she may be out hiking right now. She lives in the Keys.