PDA

View Full Version : Using trekking poles

Bootstrap
04-13-2009, 12:07
Hiking between Max Patch and Damascus Gap, I had some thoughts on using trekking poles.

I think it's always important to be able to feel my footing. When I'm tired, it's easy to trudge along with the weight more on my heels, leaning hard on my trekking pole, but I also find that my balance is off, I get tired faster, and it's harder on my knees. For a while, I gave up on trekking poles because I found that walking with balance and grace was just as important as taking weight off with the trekking poles. But I found that on some slopes I really need the poles.

On this hike, I felt the best way to use the poles was to keep my weight on the part of my feet that have nerve endings, wearing trail runners that make it easier to feel my footing, and use the poles to support what my feet were doing. When pulling up a steep slope, I used them much as I would use poles for cross country skiing. When the ground was slippery or unstable, I would "ghost" with the poles, putting them in place "just in case" without putting any weight on them. Going downhill, I would use them to take some weight off while still letting my feet be in charge.

And on relatively level ground with a good surface, I didn't use the poles at all, it was easier to walk without them.

How does this compare to y'all's experience?

dloome
04-13-2009, 12:49
What I usually do is walk.

Elder
04-13-2009, 17:39
You found one of the two major techniques!
Propulsion and lift for the uphill,
Braking and balance downhill,
Rhythm for the flats.
Good straps, used correctly, allow you to relax your hands.
Have fun.