PDA

View Full Version : Ronzoni "Bistro" meals and Powdered peanut butter

Mrs Baggins
04-13-2009, 12:12
Went shopping to load up on foods for the trail at the commissary today and found one I hadn't seen before - Ronzoni "Bistro" pasta meals in one-serving foil packs, just heat and eat. No water or anything to mix. Tossed four of them in the cart to give them a try. Smaller than a Lipton Side packet but a little heavier. Also saw jars of powdered peanut butter on the shelves. Didn't notice the brand name but that's the first time I'd seen it in any store. Prefer the little one-serving size containers of it.

mkmangold
04-13-2009, 12:38
Mrs. Baggins: let us know how the Ronzoni goes.
I've been using powdered peanut butter from the local health food store for over a year now. Comes in plastic jars about the same size as a regular peanut butter jar. I just throw mine into a ziploc bag.

mkmangold
04-13-2009, 12:43
BTW: this site http://ronzonibistro.newworldpasta.com/pasta_promo.cfm has a coupon.

Mrs Baggins
04-13-2009, 12:46
[quote=mkmangold;820584]BTW: this site http://ronzonibistro.newworldpasta.com/pastaT (http://ronzonibistro.newworldpasta.com/pasta_promo.cfm)

That's excellent! Thank you!

sheepdog
04-13-2009, 13:17
Is there fat in powder peanut butter?? Some things just shouldn't be messed with. 8 ounce jar of Jiff, every hike!!!!

mkmangold
04-13-2009, 13:23
Is there fat in powder peanut butter?? Some things just shouldn't be messed with. 8 ounce jar of Jiff, every hike!!!!

No (or very little) fat. I use it mainly for the flavor and carb calories. However, you can always add fat back into it if you like to carry fat around with you. I prefer tallow.

TD55
04-13-2009, 13:26
Has anyone tried using olive oil when they rehydrate powdered peanut butter.

sarbar
04-13-2009, 22:38
It does though work great in meals, using it as a dry ingredient. :) It still has protein in it....

mindi
04-13-2009, 23:20
How do you heat these up on the trail?

Mrs Baggins
04-14-2009, 10:34
How do you heat these up on the trail?

I don't know how others would do it but I plan to just scoop it out of the package and into the cookpot. I don't know anything about freezer bag cooking, but I would guess that if the packaging this comes in is microwave safe then you could probably just open it to vent it and drop it in a pot of boiling water. I don't have any cozy things to handle it once it's out of the boiling water.

Zac
04-14-2009, 13:15
I haven't tried these yet but I picked one of each up this weekend to try. I have put the Zataran's single serving microwave bags in water and bring it to a boil to heat. I eat it straight from the bag and used the water for tea. They are a heavy but very convenient.

Mrs Baggins
04-14-2009, 14:01
They didn't seem that heavy in the store but today while packing food bags for my husband and myself for a 3 day hike they suddenly seemed alot heavier. I just put one in each bag. We'll add dehydrated veggies/spices to perk them up. Read some on-line reviews by testers but they were looking for something that would taste as good as homemade and of course they were disappointed. We just want hot, fast to cook, and filling. We don't care about "homemade" at the end of the day. :)

Engine
04-14-2009, 14:44
Powdered peanut butter and instant coffee, UGHHH! What is the world coming to?:D

sarbar
04-14-2009, 15:02
Powdered peanut butter and instant coffee, UGHHH! What is the world coming to?:D
Hey, pretty good when you add a packet of instant cocoa :D lol...

gtg
04-16-2009, 20:24
Ok i may so totally out of touch of what is new out there! I still put my peanut butter or nut butters in those Coglan tubes. I do enjoy my peanut butter,YUMM! so what is powdered peanut butter? and is there a sight that describes the stuff?
Not sure i am ready for powdered peanut butter i may be a peanut butter traditionalist.

middle to middle
04-16-2009, 20:40
Hay, I'm thinking powered peanut butter infused with powdered caffene. A little watter and what else could you want ? I would not only be satiatiated but I could get high on that !

sheepdog
04-16-2009, 21:10
Hay, I'm thinking powered peanut butter infused with powdered caffene. A little watter and what else could you want ? I would not only be satiatiated but I could get high on that !
some coco powder maybe??

sarbar
04-16-2009, 22:53
Ok i may so totally out of touch of what is new out there! I still put my peanut butter or nut butters in those Coglan tubes. I do enjoy my peanut butter,YUMM! so what is powdered peanut butter? and is there a sight that describes the stuff?
Not sure i am ready for powdered peanut butter i may be a peanut butter traditionalist.

It is defatted peanuts to put it in easy terms :) Some brands sweeten it, others don't. It offers some of the protein and makes it easy to use in recipes. No mess.

Still, normal PB has its place!! :)

mkmangold
04-17-2009, 00:19
Powdered PB is my attempt to lighten the load. Tastes just like regular PB and apparently, according to Alton Brown, the taste of PB is so unique it's hard to duplicate with substitutes.

Ok, let's run this by Starbucks: PB-flavored coffee. As I see it now, if it catches on, hikers can come close to duplicating it by adding powdered PB to Sanka...

Or maybe we can recreate the concept of a Roman Vomitarium!

Cannibal69
04-25-2009, 08:13
http://www.bellplantation.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=25&Itemid=90

Powdered PB website

Wise Old Owl
04-26-2009, 20:39

I hope so!:p

Wise Old Owl
04-26-2009, 20:52
http://di1.shopping.com/images1/pi/e8/3a/af/29731610-177x150-0-0.jpgIn future, these foil packs are awesome as they are light & dry, 8 oz is two seperate large 2 cup meals. boiling is 8 -10 minutes depending on quantity and a Large dried leather of Ragu is with a dash of hot sauce is the mixer. There are several manufacturers with different flavor and the best part is if there is nothing to eat and it too cold to boil water, you can pop them like candy in a pinch!