PDA

View Full Version : What Sleeping Pad Do You Use?

jrnj5k
04-13-2009, 12:25
Just wondering so I can save myself any headaches. For those of you who hammock....I know you dont use one so no need to remind me.

mkmangold
04-13-2009, 12:35
Just wondering so I can save myself any headaches. For those of you who hammock....I know you dont use one so no need to remind me.

3 season: Thermarest Prolite.
Winter: Thermarest Prolite plus closed-cell foam (CCF) pad.

Anyone try Thermarest's NeoAir yet?

dloome
04-13-2009, 12:46
Winter: Thermarest Prolite 4, short length
Rest o the year: Cheapo blue foam pad. I've tried about a half dozen foam pads and they all seem to compress into nothing in roughly the same amount of time, so at least the blue ones are light and cheap.

mkmangold
04-13-2009, 12:58
Winter: Thermarest Prolite 4, short length
Rest o the year: Cheapo blue foam pad. I've tried about a half dozen foam pads and they all seem to compress into nothing in roughly the same amount of time, so at least the blue ones are light and cheap.

I used to do that, too, when I had more bounce and less fibrous tissue!

jrnj5k
04-13-2009, 13:12
yah I tried the neo. Its realllly comfy. Weighs 9oz for the short. Compacts very small. Also seems durable. The only two cons are that its a little loud since its lined with an eblanket typ ematerial thats how it gets it insulation. The other cons is that I noticed a little bit of air loss over night but the valve is located in a place that makes it easy to add apuff of air. I love it

kanga
04-13-2009, 13:38
i would suggest taking another look at the neo's insulating value... maybe even compare it to the prolite? hint. hint, hint, hint.

Kerosene
04-13-2009, 14:15
For 3-season use, I currently bring the TorsoLite (http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/torsolite_inflatable_sleeping_pad.html) from Bozeman Mountain Works (10 oz), with the padded framesheet of my Granite Gear pack under my legs. I'll be looking closely at the Thermarest NeoAir (http://www.thermarest.com/product_detail.aspx?pID=134&cID=1) reviews (http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Sleep%20Gear/Pads%20and%20Air%20Mattresses/Therm-a-Rest%20Neo%20Air%20Pad/), as I think the 2.5" of air will make a real difference for side sleepers, plus I'll save another ounce with the size Small (but lose 1.0 in R-value according to the specs).

MintakaCat
04-13-2009, 14:57
The Exped DownMat 9 Air Pad. Costs some bucks but I think it was well worth it.

kanga
04-13-2009, 14:58
i looked at that one. but i might never sleep in my real bed again...

skinewmexico
04-13-2009, 15:29
I been using a POE Insulmat Max Thermo (not the Ether Thermo 6) for 4 years. Takes 10 breaths to inflate, full length, and has worked well down to 22 degrees. YMMV. A lot cheaper than the NeoAir, but heavier. In a short, the Neo is 9 oz, versus 16 oz. for the Ether Thermo; but the cost is $145 versus $65. So you just have to decide if losing 7 oz. is worth $80. I can't say it's not, because I've spent that for that on a few packs and sleeping bags.

I honestly don't know how anyone can sleep on a self-inflating pad, or CCR. I guess I shouldn't say that, I didn't carry any pad thru my teens and twenties.

Chaco Taco
04-13-2009, 18:05
Zlite by Thermarest

Nicksaari
04-13-2009, 18:07
big agnes pad and walmart blue CCF pad. year round.

Jolly Lama
04-13-2009, 18:09
Ridgerest trimmed to 16x40 I love it. Ali

Summit
04-13-2009, 18:16
Big Agnes Dual Core air mattress - 0* temp rating. Thermarest pads did the job 'til I got older. :)

Engine
04-13-2009, 19:59
Zlite by Thermarest

I was looking forward to using mine on the trail until I spent a night on it in the backyard and it nearly crippled me. My wife felt the same way so we are looking for a replacement. I'll go back to my 10 year old 1" Thermarest until I decide on the Neoair or some other design. A 2.5" air mattress sure sounds appealing in my old age. :-?

Egads
04-13-2009, 20:15
Ridgerest in hammock

Thermarest 4 or POE Hyper High Mountain Aerogel on the ground

mkmangold
04-13-2009, 22:56
I was looking forward to using mine on the trail until I spent a night on it in the backyard and it nearly crippled me. My wife felt the same way so we are looking for a replacement. I'll go back to my 10 year old 1" Thermarest until I decide on the Neoair or some other design. A 2.5" air mattress sure sounds appealing in my old age. :-?

For way too many years than I care to recall, I didn't go camping because my ex-wife felt like this: "why sleep on the ground when you can sleep in a nice, soft bed?"
Even though the ground is now harder than it used to be, I got rid of my wife and went back to camping!

Big Dawg
04-14-2009, 09:20
Thermarest Prolite 4

Nearly Normal
04-14-2009, 09:30
The most comfortable one I can find, afford and still tote.

Engine
04-14-2009, 09:36
For way too many years than I care to recall, I didn't go camping because my ex-wife felt like this: "why sleep on the ground when you can sleep in a nice, soft bed?"
Even though the ground is now harder than it used to be, I got rid of my wife and went back to camping!

I'm blessed with a much better wife than I deserve, she would sleep on rocks if it meant she could be hiking. Having said that, her mood improves with a good nights sleep :eek:.

Lyle
04-14-2009, 09:38
Gossamer Gear torso length NightLight. Much more comfortable and much lighter than a blue foam pad. Plus it folds perfectly to use as a frame sheet in my ULA P2. Only 16 bucks. In cold weather, add a Prolite3 or blue pad.

http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/gossamergear/nightlight_torso.html?id=EKSgMUxf:76.226.217.235

BrianLe
04-14-2009, 13:37
Cheap ccf pad, on top of which I like Montbell's torso-length thin inflatable toggled to their pillow. The ccf pad can be nice for use at breaks, but in addition to the added thermal insulation and cushioning my theory is that it reduces the chance of punctures and wear on the inflatable.

catfishrivers
04-14-2009, 13:56
I was using a therm-a-rest prolite 4 with a marmot eq bag, but since I am a side sleeping flip flopper who never stayed put on his pad, I decided to trade them in and get a Big Agnes Mystic bag that has a sleeve to hold the sleeping pad, which is now a Big Agnes air core.