PDA

View Full Version : Dehydrator Models

Just Lisa
04-13-2009, 22:26
I am researching a food dehydrator purchase..got a good book that explains all the technical stuff of what to look for in a dehydrator. Now, I was hoping those of you that have dehydrators could tell me what brand names you have...which ones you like, which you don't like..anything is helpful. Thanks in advance.

Lisa

Lyle
04-13-2009, 22:29
If you really plan to use it spend the money for an Excalibur. Top of the heap when it comes to quality.

http://www.excaliburdehydrator.com/

sarbar
04-13-2009, 22:41
L'Equip: http://www.kitchenresource.com/Dehydrators.html

Sleek and works well.

On the other hand, a $55 model from Nesco/American Harvest will work nearly as good.
http://www.nesco.com/

Important is a fan and an adjustable heat source. That is what truly counts. Don't go for a super cheap 'one temp' setting.

Whiskyjo
04-13-2009, 23:11
I agree on the Excalibur. We have used it almost non stop for five years and it still works fine.The only con about it is the fan makes too much noise. Caution: if you dehydrate ramps make sure you put the dehydrator on the back porch.

Frosty
04-13-2009, 23:15
My cheap American Harvest does the job. Mostly I do fruit. very little jerky.

MintakaCat
04-14-2009, 05:27
I have an Excalibur also. I'm very happy with it.

Marta
04-14-2009, 06:40
I recently got an Open Country from REI. (I had a gift card.) So far, so good. I need to order more special screens for it, since I'll mostly be drying small or liquid stuff.

warraghiyagey
04-14-2009, 07:24
Jennfrick has been using a Nesco for a couple years. . . got to see it in action this past week as she dried pasta sauce, yams and pinapples and made apple fruit roll ups. Pretty cool. . . :)

rambunny
04-14-2009, 09:06
Totally agree on the Excaliber-igot mine on E-Bay auction practically brand new with manuel for half price.

dradius
04-14-2009, 11:05
$60 Nesco here, and I love it. In my cheapo non-professional opinion, there is no need to spend the extra $$$ on an Excaliber.

Omarwannahike
04-14-2009, 11:28
So:
Dehydrator + Vacuum Sealer = good stuff?

tiptoe
04-14-2009, 13:27
Another vote for the Excalibur. I have the 5-tray model and use it to make beef jerky, pasta meals, fruit rollups, dried fruit, and many other things. It's pricey, but since I garden I do get a lot of use out of it.

sarbar
04-14-2009, 14:20
So:
Dehydrator + Vacuum Sealer = good stuff?

If you plan on drying a lot, yes - very much worth it!

Engine
04-14-2009, 14:33
My cheap American Harvest does the job. Mostly I do fruit. very little jerky.

Ditto, but I do some complicated stuff with it and it has always been flawless. Most of the expensive models are way overbuilt. We're just drying out wet stuff, no need for a bombproof piece of rocket science. :rolleyes:

catfishrivers
04-14-2009, 15:26
I have the Nesco Gardenmaster and love it. I am actually making beef jerky right now to bring with me to GA on Friday!

YoungMoose
04-14-2009, 17:51
i konw this is a little off topic but you should also check out your oven if its new. my oven has a dehydrator that i used and it works pretty good.

Seeker
04-14-2009, 21:17
i've got the Nesco American Harvest FD-60 Snackmaster. Was about $50 at walmart. i think i bought 2 extra regular trays and 2 fruit leather trays for it. have 6 and 3 now, regardless. it has an adjustable thermostat, and i added an on/off switch to the cord, but you can just (un)plug it as needed.

i do mostly jerky. it will hold about 1 lb of meat per tray, so i can do 6 lbs at a time.

the fruit leathers are good too. a jar of applesauce (family size) will cover 2 trays, 3 if you make them thinner.

i also do carrots, celery, and corn, to add to my lipton meals.

have never heard anything bad about the Excalibur. Just more than i needed.

JaxHiker
04-15-2009, 19:35
I enjoy my Nesco FD-60.

borntobeoutdoors
05-02-2009, 14:52
Excalibur, Excalibur, Excalibur.

But it all depends on your needs. I have to dehydrate a lot of food, often in a short period of time. the excalibur has a larger capacity then the Nesco and more trays. Plus the fan is in the back do the trays don't need to be rotated.

I still have a Nesco which I built up to 9 trays and i sometimes use that as an auxillary.

So, if you are going to dehydrtae just enough for yourself and are not in a rush,then the Nesco or American Harvest will work fine.

If you have a stove with a convection oven and enough racks you may not need a dehydrator at all.

Hawk

atraildreamer
05-04-2009, 14:30
Nesco(s)...got 2 at yard sales...$2 & $5...got a Mr. Coffee :eek: Dehydrator for $3...all work real well! :D

LaurieAnn
05-04-2009, 16:44
I have had two Nesco Dehydrators so far. The first was an American Harvest FD 50 which I totally abused. My sister still uses it as I gave it to her when I upgraded to a Nesco FD 75PR (which is pretty close to the Open Country model which is also made be Nesco). With writing cookbooks I tend to use and abuse a food dehydrator more that the average hiker.

A few guidelines will help when purchasing a dehydrator.
- minimum 500 watts
- expandable
- top or side fan (easier to clean)
- temperature control (should be up to 160°F if you will be drying meat based dishes)

A few hints...

- if you can't find fruit roll trays for your dehydrator then use a good quality parchment paper or microwave safe plastic wrap
- many models don't have an on off switch; use a power bar to alleviate this issue
- a light timer (you know the kind you use to make it look like someone is home) works great if you won't be home (or awake) to turn it off
- turn leathers (fruit, spaghetti sauce, and such) over near the end of the drying cycle so that the other side dries thoroughly

Anyway - you can't go wrong with Nesco. Just my two cents.

Snowleopard
05-04-2009, 19:56
I've been looking at 2 Nesco models and they've both had price drops today:
Nesco FD-75PR 700-Watt Food Dehydrator $55.99 from Amazon with free shipping.
http://www.amazon.com/Nesco-FD-75PR-700-Watt-Food-Dehydrator/dp/B000FFVJ3C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1241481210&sr=8-1
Nesco American Harvest Square Dehydrator, FD-80 , $64.98, free shipping to your local Walmart.
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10982699

Both are 700 watt, with controls, heater and blower on top. The FD80 is square in shape which may have the advantage of being easier to fit some kinds of stuff on the trays. The FD-75pr is round.

--Walter
atraildreamer's yard sale prices are definitely better.

rhodeshale19
05-05-2009, 04:14
http://www.everythingkitchens.com/fooddehydrators.html :-?

:banana

Snowleopard
05-09-2009, 15:06
Ordered the 700 watt Nesco FD-75PR for $51.99 with free shipping from Amazon. Amazon's price on this go up and down, today's price $70.45.
I'm looking forward to pick your own strawberry season for dried strawberries.