PDA

View Full Version : Golite Odyssey pack... any good?

pyro
04-13-2009, 23:52
I'm in the process of converting my heavy gear over to light weight gear.
I'll admit I'm an old schooler having been hiking since the early 70's. I still use my Svea stove I bought in 1978, it's still going strong. I did retire my Jansport D2 replacing it a few years ago with with a Kelty Redcloud. I usually have a trail weight somewhere around 38-42 lbs. After reading all about the ultralite gear out there I decided it was time to shed 10 to 15 lbs. I've already purchased a Tarptent Rainbow to replace my Hubba Hubba, an MSR Pocket Rocket and am now looking at replacing my obscenely heavy Kelty pack (6 lbs) and was concidering the Odyssey (3 lbs, 8oz.), I know there are lighter packs out there but I dont plan to go from 40 to 15 lbs. I'll be happy to get down to 25 lbs packed.
So does anyone have have an Odyssey and if so how do you like it? Any other packs I should concider?

thanks in advance,
pyro

skinewmexico
04-14-2009, 00:07
I own several GoLites, and really like them. Just not the Odyssey. That's a big pack. And heavy.

cravj1988
04-14-2009, 08:28
I just got this pack and love it. When I started my thru, I had a 6 lb pack. Bought a mountain hardware 3.5 lb pack in Damascas, and now I have the SMD pack at less than a pound. Love it!!

http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=34

double d
04-14-2009, 09:40
I own the GoLite Odyssey and have found it to be a very good pack, for its size its lightweight and carrys a full load (35 pounds) with ease. No problems with the straps, materials or fit either. I would recommend this bag, I paid about $200 for it as well.

pyro
04-14-2009, 09:54
I own the GoLite Odyssey and have found it to be a very good pack, for its size its lightweight and carrys a full load (35 pounds) with ease. No problems with the straps, materials or fit either. I would recommend this bag, I paid about $200 for it as well.

Thanks DD,
That's what I wanted to know. I'm hoping to carry, like I said, around 25-30 lbs once I get all my gear paired down in weight & size. I don't have any aspirations of being a thru hiker, at least not anytime soon, so I still need the extra room for week and weekend trips. Every little bit of weight savings helps and 2-1/2 lbs on the pack would be great. I like having the convince of external access to the bottom compartment (I know it adds extra weight) but I'm somewhere in between ultra-ultralite and old fashioned heavy duty heavy equipment so a 3-1/2 lb pack will be just fine for me.

thanks,
pyro

skinewmexico
04-14-2009, 10:51
If you can wear a medium, they're on closeout at STP for $100. And I think if you use code SZW82746 you can get another 20% off.

Still a gigantic pack that will encourage you to bring more than you need. Probably good for really cold winter though. You might look at the Golite Quest too, same pack, but smaller. You can use www.spadout.com (http://www.spadout.com) to hunt for good deals on one also.

pyro
04-14-2009, 11:11
If you can wear a medium, they're on closeout at STP for $100. And I think if you use code SZW82746 you can get another 20% off.

Still a gigantic pack that will encourage you to bring more than you need. Probably good for really cold winter though. You might look at the Golite Quest too, same pack, but smaller. You can use www.spadout.com (http://www.spadout.com) to hunt for good deals on one also.

Thanks SWM,
I'll check it out!

genetic claybuilding
05-30-2009, 15:44
I own the GoLite Odyssey and have found it to be a very good pack, for its size its lightweight and carries a full load (35 pounds) with ease. No problems with the straps, materials or fit either.

What about it's suspension? Would it be comfortable at around 40 lbs. total?

What I like about ULA is the suspension system, but even the Catalyst is too small for a true winter load w/7+ days of food.