PDA

View Full Version : Granite Gear Nimbus Meridian

Chaco Taco
04-14-2009, 10:09
Wow what can I say about this pack. It is the best pack I have found for my build. I have longer torso than normal and it fits like a glove. So you can take the top off and it basically looks like the Vapor Trail. I lay my platy on top for easy access and its awesome. The side pouches for water bottles is used for rain pants, rain cover, headlamp and essential emergency stuff. My Zlite strap to the outside perfectly. My base weight is at about 14 pounds. There is so much space in tis pack so I pack really lightly and let my stuff spread out so the weight is even. I reccomend the Nimbus Meridian to anyone. The frame is really comfortable and the straps are interchangable as well as the waist belt. Dont think Ill ever hike with anything else.

FamilyGuy
04-14-2009, 11:46
Best 62L framed pack available in my opinion.

Chaco Taco
04-14-2009, 11:50
I agree. Its so versatile. I like the fact that I have reduced my pack load down and can pack it so loosely. My fiancee picked it up last hike and thought I was less than she was and i was carrying the whole tent! :D I love being lightweight! Now if I could just drop weight from my belly!

peanuts
04-14-2009, 12:13
i too, became the proud owner of a nimbus meridian, i can't wait till i get it on the trail....:banana

coldspring
04-14-2009, 13:03
How much does that top lid weigh? I had my eye on a Meridian Vapor, and was wondering how light it would be w/o a lid.

FamilyGuy
04-14-2009, 16:23
The top lid on the Meridian weighs 7.7 oz.

sheepdog
04-14-2009, 16:30
! Now if I could just drop weight from my belly!
That is your counter balance. Some things should not be messed with. :D

WILLIAM HAYES
04-14-2009, 19:58
have one and it is without questiion the best pack I have ever owned in terms of weight comfort and features

rpenczek
04-15-2009, 09:25
I changed from a Gregory Whitney to a Nimbus Meridian and have never looked back. I made one modification to the suspension. I had GG put on a large hip belt from the light series pack (it has an exoslkeleton) so I had just a little more support. The additional cost was $12 bucks and IMHO a good choice for me.

This pack rides well, is light and well built. The only thing I would like to see changed is the strechy pockets on the side to be made a little bigger, so when the pack is full its not so hard to get water bottles in the strechy pockets.

BigFoot2002
04-15-2009, 19:17
I had them put the (plastic covered) hipbelt upgrade on my Nimbous Ozone. I've carried around 40 pounds in this pack with no problem.

My warm weather pack is a vapor trail 20 - 25 pound loads, no problem.

Chaco Taco
05-04-2009, 00:10
Was out last week and ran into a guy that was equally as happy as I was with the GG pack. Cant wait to get some better shoulder straps though at Traildays. I love this pack!!

gohawks
05-19-2009, 19:58
I've been all over the place w/ packs. Gregory Z55 (liked it, just couldn't get a perfect fit). Nimbus Ozone (VERY comfy, not enough organization for me). REI Flash 65 (love it, but belly too big for my torso made fitment impossible).

FamilyGuy talked me into the Nimbus Meridian. Campsaver had it for $189. I had Moosejaw price match because when you do that you get a boatload of reward points, enough to score an Outdoor Research booney for me after a couple of other tricks.

It was shipped directly from Granite Gear 2nd day air. They changed out all the straps and belts to my size. I also noticed that I got the new heavier silnylon. Heavier I know but I like the feel of it better for me.

It is not a 2009 model however as the compression straps don't have the option of being routed either through or on top of the pockets. I was told this was new in 2009. No biggie. I am happy about the new fabric though.

Now. How they heck does that lid work as a fanny pack?

FamilyGuy
05-19-2009, 21:27
I've been all over the place w/ packs. Gregory Z55 (liked it, just couldn't get a perfect fit). Nimbus Ozone (VERY comfy, not enough organization for me). REI Flash 65 (love it, but belly too big for my torso made fitment impossible).

FamilyGuy talked me into the Nimbus Meridian. Campsaver had it for $189. I had Moosejaw price match because when you do that you get a boatload of reward points, enough to score an Outdoor Research booney for me after a couple of other tricks.

It was shipped directly from Granite Gear 2nd day air. They changed out all the straps and belts to my size. I also noticed that I got the new heavier silnylon. Heavier I know but I like the feel of it better for me.

It is not a 2009 model however as the compression straps don't have the option of being routed either through or on top of the pockets. I was told this was new in 2009. No biggie. I am happy about the new fabric though.

Now. How they heck does that lid work as a fanny pack?

It comes off pretty easily and you can save 8oz if you leave it at home (should you not need it). There are four straps - two in the front, two in the back. Just thread them out of the buckles and voila.

More importantly - how does it fit???

gohawks
05-19-2009, 23:25
It comes off pretty easily and you can save 8oz if you leave it at home (should you not need it). There are four straps - two in the front, two in the back. Just thread them out of the buckles and voila.

More importantly - how does it fit???

While adjusting the torso size I had to take of the lid an figured out where the belt was. Pretty cool.

Fit is great. I liked how the Ozone carried. I just hated that extension collar. I needed another pocket as well. I didn't care for "the lid" that I had with the ozone. It just seemed out of place and not much room.

I like the feel of the heavier fabric (I know its heavier :rolleyes:).

Hopefully I solved the pack dilemma for awhile and just be happy and USE the dang thing.

Now maybe I can obsess about my shelter.

Thanks.

Hotrod
05-22-2009, 11:49
I haven't seen either up close. How does the suspension for the Nimbus Meridian compare with the Vapor Trail?

FamilyGuy
05-22-2009, 19:12
I haven't seen either up close. How does the suspension for the Nimbus Meridian compare with the Vapor Trail?

It is much stiffer but yet has horizontal flex. It is also completely adjustable - the shoulder harness can be adjusted from 18-22" torsos for the Regular size model (the shoulder harness can also be swapped out for smaller or larger and the hipbelt as well). The shoulder harness pivots to match the width of your shoulders and as well, the belt pivots to match walking stride.

STICK
06-27-2009, 10:34
My gf just got the Nimbus Meridian Ki as her first pack! We love that we got all the right sizes for shoulder straps and hip belts and in a womens! GG seems to really make great packs, I want to get the NM for myself as well!!

STICK
08-20-2009, 18:06
Did anyone happen to pick up one of the Nimbus Meridians from REI just recently with thier sale? They were going for $95! I missed out because I didnt have the money!! That probably wont happen again for a long time!

STICK
08-20-2009, 18:07
They still have them for $159 at the rei outlet!

FamilyGuy
08-20-2009, 22:16
$179 at Sierra Trading Post plus another 20% off.

These are the 2008 models. The 2009 has been upgraded.....

handlebar
08-21-2009, 18:31
Did the PCT and numerous other outings with it. Love the way it carried the extra weight of 7 liters of water and 6 days food. I've overloaded mine to about 70 lbs while carrying in tools and/or group gear on trail crews and it still carried reasonably comfortably!

MedicineMan
08-21-2009, 21:42
I've carried a Nimbus Meridian on the last two little hikes and a Meridian Vapor on the hike before them. On my next long section hike I'm taking the Meridian Vapor. As long as I don't have to carry more than 3 days of food I can get enough in it for temps in the 30s. If it is colder I shift to the N.Meridian to accomodate a bigger underquilt, down booties, and a down balaclava.
I know the lid is a weight penalty but it makes it easy to isolate the wet tarp. Like many have said these packs work for you or they don't but seems like they work for quite a few :)

STICK
08-21-2009, 23:09
I believe that the ones at REI are the 09 model, could be wrong though...

Deadeye
08-21-2009, 23:36
$179 at Sierra Trading Post plus another 20% off.

These are the 2008 models. The 2009 has been upgraded.....

do tell... what's the upgrade?

(I would love this pack, or the Nimbus Ozone, but the frame curves don't fit my back)

gohawks
08-22-2009, 10:16
do tell... what's the upgrade?

(I would love this pack, or the Nimbus Ozone, but the frame curves don't fit my back)

Family Guy is the expert on the upgrades. But my understanding is heavier fabric and now the side pockets have slits to route the compression straps though them (a complaint on previous models). When I contacted them last they informed me that some late 2008 models got the upgraded fabric w/out the change in pockets. When I ordered mine the fabric was definitely burlier than my previous Nimbus Ozone, which I appreciated.

I seem to recall FG mentioning something about slight change in the frame sheet as well possibly?

I wish granite gear would update their website at some point to reflect the changes.

STICK
08-22-2009, 11:25
All they have is the short torsos left at REI, but FG mentioned Sierra Trading Post....

FamilyGuy
08-22-2009, 11:30
Hey all - yes, Jay is correct on the upgrades. And yes, Sierra Trading Post has them now as well.

Deadeye
08-23-2009, 10:53
That's just great. The best thing about GG packs was that they don't change, so if you bought one and loved it, you just wore it out. Now I'll have to keep up and buy the newest model... 'cause I really (yes, really!) need another pack:rolleyes:

Lyle
08-28-2009, 15:45
Been using a ULA P2 for about 5 or 6 years now. Absolutely love it! Just bought a Conduit for mid-summer trips. Love it as well.

A few weeks ago, I picked up a GG nimbus Meridian at a charity auction. I'm debating about putting it up for sale, but after reading the glowing reports here I'm thinking I should maybe at least give it a try, since I have it. Now the debate is whether I should take it down to the Smokies next month for my Fontana to Erwin section....

I'm afraid I'll miss the hip belt pockets that I have on my P2 - They are GREAT!!!

Hmmmmmmmmm! What to do?

Anyone have an opinion on ULA vs the Nimbus Meridian?

I love this type of dilemma. :D

Jonnycat
08-28-2009, 16:04
That's just great. The best thing about GG packs was that they don't change, so if you bought one and loved it, you just wore it out. Now I'll have to keep up and buy the newest model... 'cause I really (yes, really!) need another pack:rolleyes:

Aye, REI does that a lot with their gear. From raingear to thermals to the leather Monarch boots, they have had many outstanding specimens of gear that just end up being utterly worthless crap after they revise it.

I have no idea why they do this, other than maybe because they think they can appeal to the "bright and shiney" crowd, but for people who actually use the gear, it's nothing but a disappointment when we find out that a wonderful piece of gear has been replaced with CRAP.

I have a GG NO, the older style, and it is just perfect. If they made it heavier and cut holes (!!!) in the side pockets, that just sucks!

Those bastards!

/shakes fist at the sky

Kerosene
08-28-2009, 17:10
I'm afraid I'll miss the hip belt pockets that I have on my P2 - They are GREAT!!!Yes, I'd love to have integrated hip pockets on my GG Nimbus Ozone. As an alternative to front-side small storage, I now use a 1 oz. SimBLISSity UnSlackpack (http://www.simblissity.net/unslack_pack.htm). Not as convenient as integrated hip pockets, but it serves the need.

I like the idea of the Meridian variants, although it adds half a pound over a base models (with added benefits of a full-length vertical entry zipper and a floating fannypack lid). I would have just as soon preferred a small reach-in entry in lieu of the full-length zippered access. Of course, the gear you need will never be close-at-hand!

My vote is to give it a spin. I don't think it will let you down, but I'm also not sure that it will be enough to sway you from your ULA gear.

bumpass
09-11-2009, 14:55
I ended up choosing the GG Nimbus Ozone also. Added a couple Gossamer Gear hip pockets and a shoulder pocket for real function vs the extra 8 oz. lid. More than plenty of room in either bag. Can't go wrong.

MedicineMan
09-12-2009, 07:45
I think if the suspension works for you then you can't go wrong with any of the GG packs.
I still like the lid for keeping the wet tarp....8oz is a penalty for sure but my thinking on pack weight has changed over the years...its not so much the weight of the pack anymore but the weight of what goes in it and then what percent of my body weight...with the advent of so many incredible lightweight gear options the pack weight unless ridiculous is moot...example the MLD Hex tarp at 8.5 ounces, an alky stove at less than 2 ounces, an Equinox Sil-Cape 5oz., etc. etc. etc.