PDA

View Full Version : Question about Harmony House freeze dried items

Mrs Baggins
04-14-2009, 10:38
I have the Harmony House 2.6 oz packets of freeze dried veggies, beans, etc. Does anyone know how far a packet goes? How much would you add to a Lipton Side for instance to just add more flavor and bulk without the pot overflowing with rehydrated vegetables? A couple of teaspoons? More? Less? I realize it's a matter of taste as well. I just don't know how much one of those packets translates to when the entire contents are rehydrated.

sarbar
04-14-2009, 10:41
I use about 2 Tbsp beans per person - they swell up good as they are dehydrated versus freeze dried :) As for the veggies, I wouldn't go over 1/4 cup dry per person - or your tummy may object to to many veggies ;-)

They really bulk up a meal!

Mrs Baggins
04-14-2009, 10:52
I use about 2 Tbsp beans per person - they swell up good as they are dehydrated versus freeze dried :) As for the veggies, I wouldn't go over 1/4 cup dry per person - or your tummy may object to to many veggies ;-)

They really bulk up a meal!

Thanks so much! I was hoping you'd answer as I respect and trust your experience on the subject. I didn't PM you directly as I figured there are others who may have the same question and would appreciate an answer. And you're right, I tend to confuse the terms dehydrated and freeze dried.

Skyline
04-14-2009, 10:56
One package of Mountain House, Alpenaire, etc. dehydrated veggies lasts me three meals when used just as an add-in.

If using mixed vegetables, be sure to shake the contents up real well before adding to another meal. The smaller pieces--which usually include the tastiest pieces like onion bits--seem to settle in the bottom.

Also, it's not a bad idea to let them rehydrate first and adding them towards the end of preparation. Avoids the possibility of crunchy, still dehydrated veggies mixed in with the rest unless you like that sort of thing.

Chenango
04-14-2009, 11:00
Thanks all. I was just asking myself the very question Mrs. Baggins asked. I am glad she did not PM.

Sidewinder
04-14-2009, 11:11
I add about the same amount as Sarbar, I premix my meals in 1-pint freezer bags before I leave home and good eating on the trail.

sarbar
04-14-2009, 14:18
Also, it's not a bad idea to let them rehydrate first and adding them towards the end of preparation. Avoids the possibility of crunchy, still dehydrated veggies mixed in with the rest unless you like that sort of thing.

This can be a real helper if you are using dehydrated green beans and corn....they can take a lot longer than the freeze dried versions. If you soak them in cool water for 30 minutes in a small bag or container, then add to the meal they work better.

Btw, Harmony has started selling some freeze dried veggies though! If you do get them, get some desiccant packets...they don't come with one in the tub. While the veggies have a better shelf life than the fruit, they will still go funy from absorbing moisture in humid areas over time. The little packets extend the shelf life by months, if not longer. To which I will add - Packitgourmet.com sells said little packets :)

CampGirl
04-15-2009, 09:19
How much would you add to a Lipton Side for instance to just add more flavor and bulk without the pot overflowing with rehydrated vegetables?

We put together a little variety packet of freeze-dried veggies that would probably work well for this. We made it specifically for Ramen but the veggie mix would work well for just about anything else. It's portioned out per person so you can just dump the entire packet into your meal and you can add chicken or beef if you like.

http://www.packitgourmet.com/Ramen-Rescue-p258.html

CampGirl
04-15-2009, 09:27
Btw, Harmony has started selling some freeze dried veggies though! If you do get them, get some desiccant packets...they don't come with one in the tub. While the veggies have a better shelf life than the fruit, they will still go funy from absorbing moisture in humid areas over time. The little packets extend the shelf life by months, if not longer. To which I will add - Packitgourmet.com sells said little packets :)

Yup - we have two different kinds depending on what you want.

You can get the clay desiccants which work to absorb moisture and can be reheated and reused once they've absorbed all that they can take. Also, they're just clay which is a nice natural option.

There's also the silica gel desiccants which is what you would more commonly see in a commercial package. They absorb both air and moisture but cannot be reused.

Here's the link:
http://www.packitgourmet.com/Packaging-c76.html

sarbar
04-15-2009, 14:10
I love the desiccant packets I picked up from you! :)