PDA

View Full Version : Woody Gap, GA... Campsites?

NCYankee
04-14-2009, 13:02
Does anyone know of any campsites near Woody Gap, GA?

I can see that there is water and parking there but no shelter... My whole group is tent dwellers so a shelter isn't a must but is there camping there?

Thanks!

Bulldawg
04-14-2009, 13:30
There is a decent spot just north or Woody Gap, but it only has room for one or two tents. Or if the wind isn't up, continue to the top of Big Cedar where there is room for several tents and an awesome sunrise.

cravj1988
04-14-2009, 13:48
just above the parking lot is a place for tenting if you get there late, but i would go a little further north to the places bulldawg mentioned.

Dances with Mice
04-14-2009, 14:10
Does anyone know of any campsites near Woody Gap, GA?

I can see that there is water and parking there but no shelter... My whole group is tent dwellers so a shelter isn't a must but is there camping there?
Yes. On the north side of the road are two picnic tables. East side of the Trail. Walk directly between those tables, north, and you'll see a trail going up an embankment. Can't miss it so follow it. There is camping spot above the parking lot but keep walking about 100 yards further north, same trail, and you'll come to an old rock quarry. Nice, flat, fairly quiet, away from the lights on the road. Loads of room.

Trails going west from there connect back to the AT so you don't have to climb that embankment from the parking area each time you go for water or use the privy.

dmax
04-14-2009, 16:22
You could also stay at Gooch Gap. A road at the bottom of the mountain will take you right there. There's room for lots of tents with a nearby water source. I stayed there just this weekend. Had a great time.

NCYankee
04-14-2009, 16:48
I thought about that, but Gooch is 4.5 miles away and we are planning on going from Woody to Neels and 10.6 sounds a lot better than 15.1 J

dmax
04-14-2009, 17:00
I've got it at 3.6 miles. I will agree with you though. 10.6 does sound like a good day of hiking.

stumpy
04-14-2009, 17:03
We just stayed at Gooch last month. We got there early in the evening and set up camp. I placed my hammock back in a small clearing in the tree's, put on my headphones and went to sleep. My brother-in-law set up in the large clearing/meadow just below the road. When I got up the next morning and looked out from under my tarp. He was in the middle of a tent city.:D:D:D A large group of Boy Scouts from Atlanta showed up late (11:00 or so) and set up camp, then got up at 5:00 A.M. Needless to say he did not get much sleep and was not the happiest camper the next morning!!!!!:)