PDA

View Full Version : clothing "reserved" only for a.t. use?

cupcake
06-05-2004, 07:49
this may seem silly, but i have a precip jacket that i wore hiking on the a.t. --- it's red, with a lovely black smudge rubbed into the lower back -- the spot came from my backpack -- there's also some black areas where my pack straps rubbed on the front. the question is, will these spots wash off? my hiking shirt is orange silk wt. capilene -- also with a matching black smudge (these did not wash out). should i just assume that anything that gets used on the trail will end up looking (and smelling) like it's trashed? that i should keep my clothes for hiking (day hikes vs. long distance/days) separate?

SGT Rock
06-05-2004, 08:02
It sounds like the spots that we normally developed on our DCUs in Iraq under body armor. The sweat, dust, and whatever else we picked up was basically ground into the fabric after many patrols that never washed out again. I got to the point you could spot a POGE and a combat soldier (or at least one that really patroled alot) by the unremovable stains on the back and shoulders.

I doubt it will come out. Save it for hiking.

pvtmorriscsa
06-06-2004, 03:59
I got to the point you could spot a POGE and a combat soldier (or at least one that really patroled alot) by the unremovable stains on the back and shoulders.
Top,
I was wondering is that Pouge as in the civilian term? I. e. Slacker, useless? Or is it sort of akin to REMF? Just wondering.

Percival
06-06-2004, 04:21
that i should keep my clothes for hiking (day hikes vs. long distance/days) separate?
I think you should wear your hiking clothes to work. Then when one of your prim and proper co-workers says something, use that as a launch board to tell them all about the AT. And direct them to the Earth First! website.

Pencil Pusher
06-06-2004, 05:49
I was thinking it meant something like Person Of Gentle Exposition. Who knows, the military is full of acronyms.

Bluebearee
06-07-2004, 23:15
Denise,
Some of your clothes will be usable for years to come, some will be trashed. I threw away my two hiking shirts from my thru-hike (cheap Duofold from Campmor), some underwear is starting to wear out, my hiking dress has a permanent stain as you described from my pack belt but I don't care, it's just for hiking anyhow. I changed up my socks a lot so I still have a good inventory of them, one got chewed by a mouse in the Smokies but I still wear it.

A friend had told me all my gear would not be good for another LD hike, but I disagree. My Thermarest, sleeping bag, pack, poles, tent are all still in great condition. I'm pretty anal, and wash and keep stuff clean - always used my Tyvek cloth in shelters under my pad, etc. But as for clothing, consider some of it a casualty of the hike.

SGT Rock
06-08-2004, 11:00
It is like a REMF, but the thing is when you call someone POGE, and they ask what a POGE is, the answer is "If you don't know what a POGE is, then you must be one"

johnny quest
06-24-2004, 18:09
go ahead, rock, educate the slimy civilians:

a remf is anyone who is behind you. (rear echelon m.f.)

a poge is a remf who works in an office.

pogeybait is what comes out of a candy machine or snack bar (see geedunk)