PDA

View Full Version : Hike My Hike - Damn It!

Mags
04-14-2009, 21:50
The one, true, correct and absolute way to hike.

HMHDI!

http://www.pmags.com/joomla/pdf/hike-my-hike-damn-it.pdf

(500 k for those on dial-up)

Pokey2006
04-14-2009, 22:06
Fantastic! Should be in the articles section...

Where do I sign up for the "Beer: need I say more?" lecture?

johnnybgood
04-14-2009, 22:12
Aw man , I want to HYOHDI for real . Where do I sign up ? :banana

Mags
04-14-2009, 22:30
Fantastic! Should be in the articles section...

Where do I sign up for the "Beer: need I say more?" lecture?

Southern Sun - Boulder, CO (http://www.mountainsunpub.com/). Good chance you'll find me there... :sun

Marta
04-14-2009, 22:38
Thank you. All hiking questions have now been answered. All disputes have been settled. You have just put all us moderators out of business.

Pokey2006
04-14-2009, 22:41
Is that also where I can find the

Single White Male mid-30s looking for active
female late 20s to mid 30s. Anyone?
lecture? In which case, I'M THERE!

rhjanes
04-14-2009, 22:45
I only skimmed it. But, didn't you leave off "river fording", "hosteling", "YOGI"???

Mags
04-14-2009, 22:50
I only skimmed it. But, didn't you leave off "river fording", "hosteling", "YOGI"???

Hey..that's the second part. Every hack needs room for a sequel. :)

I've been known to combine those lectures from time to time....

skinewmexico
04-14-2009, 23:01
Nice.........the sequel needs to go into pack sizes and weights.

RedneckRye
04-14-2009, 23:33
Damn it Mags, if you keep this up I'll have to start ignoring you.
Until then, I'll keep being inspired by you.
Can I sniff your pack??

GrubbyJohn
04-14-2009, 23:45
pack sniffer #1 here. we have been doing it all wrong. i see the light!!!!!

gaga
04-15-2009, 00:34
Do not trust this bum:D everything he says are Lies all Lies L i i i i i i eS i say :D .p.s. he has an alcohol stove but never enough alcohol...to burn in it, Wonder why???

Maddog
04-15-2009, 01:40
Awesome! Nice Work!

Engine
04-15-2009, 05:13

HMHDI!

http://www.pmags.com/joomla/pdf/hike-my-hike-damn-it.pdf

I'm pretty sure I have this correct, are you "Magaroni" from the late 90's?

Homer&Marje
04-15-2009, 06:21
Wow Mags. I want to HYOHDI.....but I have never felt like I've been violated personally whilst reading. Especially this early in the morning. I also wouldn't trust that guy with the beard in the pictures.

Now the guy in the North Face Jacket...

Two words for you....****ING AWESOME

Add the Providence/Boston accent mix to that....

Big Dawg
04-15-2009, 07:12
Mags... you've got way too much time on your hands.:rolleyes: But... nice work!:D

MOWGLI
04-15-2009, 07:57

Pokey, beware of Mags. Not only is he pure hiker trash. But he OBVIOUSLY has control issues. And a mother who wants grandchildren. :eek:

Two Speed
04-15-2009, 08:04
Pokey, beware of Mags. Not only is he pure hiker trash. But he OBVIOUSLY has control issues. And a mother who wants grandchildren. :eek:Might be a problem, might not. For all you know Pokey's mother might want grandchildren, too.

NCYankee
04-15-2009, 08:13
Funny stuff:clap

JJJ
04-15-2009, 08:42
:D, but the hiking pole section needs to be longer.

Hiking poles are the most important part of hiking as indicated by their name. Before hiking poles were invented, it was almost impossible to hike. People who don't have the correct alloy of aluminum hiking poles are not hiking -they're just struggling. Hiking poles make your sunglasses look even cooler and therefore a secondary sexual attractant. Especially,-Don't get suckered into the Wooden Walking Stick School. That was popular a hundred years ago, when marriages were still arranged and well before the advent of marketing enlightenment. Nothing people did on the trail a hundred years ago is relevant today. Besides, everybody's doing it. You wouldn't want to look silly and out of touch would you?
jjj

Manwich
04-15-2009, 08:46

dial-what?

gaga
04-15-2009, 09:26
dial-what?

, just dial 911

chris
04-15-2009, 10:05
Pure gold. Put it in the articles section.

Chenango
04-15-2009, 10:42
One of the best things I have read in a long while. Talking about reading, can I bring a book to read on the trail? It will be a paperback and I will tear out the pages as I finish each one. OK?

Rain Man
04-15-2009, 11:36
Already looking forward to that sequel!!!!

Rain:sunMan

Mags
04-15-2009, 11:59
Mags... you've got way too much time on your hands.:rolleyes: But... nice work!:D

Laid off hiking bum. I've been hiking for the past two months. Life is good. :)

re: Magaroni

Yeppers.

re: Grandchildren

You are all getting my Mom excited again

re: Rhody Accent

That would friggin' cool if I read it outloud in my native dialect

POLES:
JJJ, based on your post, you are obviously a good proponent of the HMHDI philosophy! :)

BOOKS:

As long as it is my book.

Go the Southern Sun. After 3 pints of Java Porter, I'll pontificate on my ideas of life, the universe and everything.

re: dial-what

Your attempt at humor is even worse than mine...

Mags
04-15-2009, 12:02
Pure gold. Put it in the articles section.

A recent trip report of Utah prompted me to finally write it ....

(and to steal the "making hiker trash look trashy...")

Pedaling Fool
04-15-2009, 12:06
A recent trip report of Utah prompted me to finally write it ....

(and to steal the "making hiker trash look trashy...")
Curious why? Do you hear the prase HYOH, out in Utah much?

Mags
04-15-2009, 12:10
Curious why? Do you hear the prase HYOH, out in Utah much?

Read this report if you have the time...
http://cwillett.imathas.com/hackberry/index.html

The long story short is that we discussed the HMHDI philosophy in between shots of rum and vodka. Some nefarious character was threatening to co-op the idea for his own.

Shudder.

Jaybird
04-15-2009, 12:40
HMHDI!http://www.pmags.com/joomla/pdf/hike-my-hike-damn-it.pdf(500 k for those on dial-up)

WOW!

there's a couple mins of my life waisted!:D

See ya'll out there (w/ "Jigsaw" & "Model-T") May 2-14 NOBO
Harpers Ferry to Swatara Gap,PA

Mags
04-15-2009, 12:44
there's a couple mins of my life waisted!:D

Did you eat vast amounts of chocolate while reading it?

I am glad you liked it. I had you in mind when I wrote this book. If you want, I'll send you an autographed copy. Seriously.

PM me your address.

Bearpaw
04-15-2009, 13:59
I may have to spar with you for the competition to my book Hike Your Own Damned Hike!

It's about the many ways society tries to dictate the style and ethics of one of the most freedom-seeking activities in the world, going for a good walk.

Look for it sometime this lifetime. :)

sheepdog
04-15-2009, 14:04
Can I get a leather bound autographed copy? Money is no object.

Pokey2006
04-15-2009, 14:07
Might be a problem, might not. For all you know Pokey's mother might want grandchildren, too.

HA! My mother would disown me if I tried to give her another grandchild!

cowboy nichols
04-15-2009, 15:36
LMAO !!! But you forgot us poor canine abusers who hike with our best friends,, Loved your satire.

superman
04-15-2009, 16:39
Mags,
I absolutely enjoyed it. It was more refreshing than a vinegar douche.:)

Mags
04-15-2009, 17:08
Can I get a leather bound autographed copy? Money is no object.

Only a select few people who truly embody the HMHDI philosophy get a copy from me directly. Blue Jay, with his steadfast unwavering that his views are correct and everyone else is wrong most definitely gets a copy.

He lectures people on trails, only makes negative posts and refuses to acknowledge that differences of opinion are OK. For some reason, discussions of gear really get him going and I don't think he ever said anything positive about his outdoors experience. Being a true hiker, he "waists" his time while reading. Presumably that means munching on Bon Bons and getting some extra calories for his upcoming hikes. Bravo!

How can he not get an autographed copy?

I'm still waiting for him to PM me. I am very serious about sending him a hard copy autographed by me. He, and others like him, are what made the book possible after all. For that, I must thank him.

Having said that, if you procure a leather bound copy..I'll gladly sign it. ;)

yaduck9
04-15-2009, 17:15
Dr. Phil is a piker compared to you......

Its Universally Acknowledged.

Homer&Marje
04-15-2009, 18:05
Only a select few people who truly embody the HMHDI philosophy get a copy from me directly. Blue Jay, with his steadfast unwavering that his views are correct and everyone else is wrong most definitely gets a copy.

He lectures people on trails, only makes negative posts and refuses to acknowledge that differences of opinion are OK. For some reason, discussions of gear really get him going and I don't think he ever said anything positive about his outdoors experience. Being a true hiker, he "waists" his time while reading. Presumably that means munching on Bon Bons and getting some extra calories for his upcoming hikes. Bravo!

How can he not get an autographed copy?

I'm still waiting for him to PM me. I am very serious about sending him a hard copy autographed by me. He, and others like him, are what made the book possible after all. For that, I must thank him.

Having said that, if you procure a leather bound copy..I'll gladly sign it. ;)

By that theory I should get a book too...I just stopped posting in these ways because a little birdy PM'd me and told me that other people have opinions too and if I didn't like that then the birdy would crap on my ability to post as often as I like....or at all.

So I reformed my posts but I,(deep breath like Jim Carey in Ace Ventura)... still don't sniff packs, prefer the offensive jokes to the tame ones, and a high caloric diet that induces snoring in shelters with hourly reminders of what I had for dinner whilst occupying the privy in the morning with the door open to enjoy the view and my right to take part in the activities awarded to me by proposition two in the COMMONWEALTH of HOLE central.

:D:D:banana
The dancing banana is necessary.

chris
04-16-2009, 10:09
Read this report if you have the time...
http://cwillett.imathas.com/hackberry/index.html

The long story short is that we discussed the HMHDI philosophy in between shots of rum and vodka. Some nefarious character was threatening to co-op the idea for his own.

Shudder.

I was totally going to steal HMYDI and pawn it off as my own.

Tom Murphy
04-17-2009, 00:38
Thanks Mags

20. pounds no more no less. Clear and Concise. Just perfect

Your advice has cleared up so much confusion.

Just a few questions....

is that base pack weight without food and water?

is that from skin out?

This impacts all my planning. I won't be able to enjoy my hike until this is resolved.

Homer&Marje
04-17-2009, 06:09
I like your enthusiasm Tom. But it's not your hike damn it.

Twenty lbs...no more... no less. You can put anything you want in your pack. Don't weigh it....go out and HMHDI (Hike Mags Hike Damn It) and anyone who asks how much your pack weighs...just say 20 lbs.

I don't see how the theory is not bulletproof. Really...on the level of E=MC^2

Or....Mcdonalds....Billions and Billions served. Your theory is somewhere in the middle of those Mags:D

Monkeyboy
04-17-2009, 13:11
I say you stick everything in your pockets........that way it cuts down on pack weight..........

:)

Mags
04-17-2009, 13:32
Of course, if you have to ask the question..you really are pack sniffer. :D

..of course pants with xxxl pockets just may work, too. ;)

Homer&Marje
04-18-2009, 00:15
Just read that...out loud... to Marje... It was even funnier the second time.

Best post youz eva had:D

sheepdog
04-14-2011, 19:39
bump...............