PDA

View Full Version : Overnight Loop in north Carolina

brycemahoney
04-14-2009, 22:10
Looking for a good 2 day loop to do in North Carolina. Am a novice hiker/camper looking for good scenery with a little challenge.

rainmakerat92
04-14-2009, 22:51
You might take a look at doing the loop on the AT near Standing Indian Campground near Franklin, NC. Park at the Backcountry Info Center at Standing Indian, and take the Kimsey Creek trail to the AT, which intersects at Deep Gap. You can exit at Glassmine Gap on a spur trail and hike back to Standing Indian Campground, which would mean a hike of about 25 miles (counting the access trails).

I believe all the trail names and distances are accurate, but it has been a while since I've done that hike. Verify everything with someone who knows for sure before going.

It's a beautiful hike, comparable to the Smokies without the crowds or the need for any permits.

stumpy
04-14-2009, 22:59
I second the Standing Indian area. I have spent several weekends in and around the campground. There are many trails to explore and the area is very nice.

Tennessee Viking
04-14-2009, 23:37
If you are just looking for the Smokies, just look at any trail. People love Mt LeConte using the Rainbow Falls Trail. Its a steep climb, but worth it. Maybe Cosby up to the AT and out at I40. Or hike of the Smokies ridge crest.

Bootstrap
04-15-2009, 07:02
Spend $14 on this book:

Hiking North Carolina, 2nd: A Guide to Nearly 500 of North Carolina's Greatest Hiking Trails
by Randy Johnson
http://www.amazon.com/Hiking-North-Carolina-2nd-Carolinas/dp/0762731389/

I second the Standing Indian idea. Stone Mountain is a good area for beginner's hikes.

You say you're a novice. I'd suggest starting with places where you can hike to a campsite perhaps 3 miles from the road, set up camp, and hike around without the heavy pack or hang out in camp until it's time to go back.

daddytwosticks
04-15-2009, 07:36
Hands-down...Standing Indian loop. :)

Engine
04-15-2009, 07:38
Looking for a good 2 day loop to do in North Carolina. Am a novice hiker/camper looking for good scenery with a little challenge.

One of the neatest hikes around that area I've ever done is in the southwest corner of GSMNP. Start at the Twentymile ranger station and take the Wolf Ridge trail 6.8 miles (All uphill!) past Parson Bald to campsite 13 below Gregory bald. In the evening hike the 1/4 mile up to Gregory Bald and enjoy the incredible views of Cades Cove, as well as frequent deer and bear sightings on the bald. The next day hike back to the car via the Gregory Bald trail, Long Hungry ridge trail and Twentymile trails for a total of 8.9 miles (ridgeline and downhill) and some really nice scenery.

One other very neat thing about this hike is that it follows the old AT route through this area from the original path until you get to the Long Hungry Ridge trail where is heads back south. And, the last 3.1 miles on the Twentymile trail are also on the Benton MacKaye trail.

Try it, you'll like it!

Ashepabst
04-15-2009, 12:07
from Big Creek hike to CS37, then up to Mt. Sterling the next day. the campsite on sterling is right on top of the moutain, below the firetower. baxter creek trail is one of my favorites... it's better if you go down it though.