PDA

View Full Version : 3.2oz each, Home Made Trekking Pole

gardenville
06-05-2004, 15:24
I have used the Easton Aluminum tubes that were replaced by Carbon Fiber tubes on my Ultra-Lite External Frame pack for an Ultra-Lite Trekking pole. I was able to adapt a Leki (replacement) Carbide Flextip to my Trekking Pole. I also have made an adjustable wrist strap for the pole out of 3/4" Grosgrain. This is a 2-piece pole and as I made it for myself it is 50" long or can be made 30.5" long. This lenght can be changed by carring another section of pole if I wanted to. The total weight of 3.2oz might come down a little or go up a little as I play with the design. I am hoping to find some Carbon Fiber tubes a little larger size than what I am using for my pack frame. If I can get some I will make a trekking pole out of them to compair with the Aluminum tubes. I would expect the Carbon Fiber tubes to weigh less and save a little more weight.

The total cost of new materials to make one with the Easton Aluminum tubes like this one would be $20.00 each, more or less. Contrast this cost by some of the Ultra-Lite Trekking poles on the market that sell for up to $199.99 a pair. Some are cheaper and some haven't figured out how to make an adjustable wrist strap yet.

I have put some pictures of the Trekking Pole in "My Gallery" here.

I will use this Trekking Pole as a test piece for awhile, refine the design if necessary and then make a pair of them.

One more (made by me) Ultra-Lite piece of gear for my AT Ultra-Lite hike set-up.

Pencil Pusher
06-05-2004, 15:37
Do you see the poles as being critical to your pack, or an extra? Will your poles survive 10 or 2000 miles? As a compromise to going light, would you bring just one pole instead of two?

gardenville
06-05-2004, 17:01
I want a true external frame pack and so I made my own. My frame pushes away from my back 4" at the waist area giving me real space between the pack and my back. This setup is much cooler than anything that lays on your back. This is my goal, reduce that "sweat zone" as much as possible. The poles, very light "Carbon Fiber" are part of the design and something is necessary. The Carbon Fiber tubes are the strongest, lightest material I can find. Could I design a frame without the poles, yes, but we are only talking about 1.2oz. Is this what you are refereing to when you ask if the poles are critical to my pack?

The trekking poles are not part of the External Pack Frame. The probabilty of my Trekking Poles lasting 10 or 2000 miles is the same as it is for anything we carry. Somethings break. Sometimes we break. I have lost Trekking Poles but have never broken one. The reason for using the Leki replacement Carbide Flextip is because it is designed to break before the pole does.

I don't make any compromises when it come to my safety. Each set of Light or Utlra-Lite gear I carry is tested and matched to the season. I carry everything I need, just the lightest version I can buy or make. Over the years I have dropped a lot of "nice to have" items from my pack and don't often look back. I want one of the new type PDA's that have a cell phone, digital camera built-in, a roll-up larger size key-board and maybe a GPS. If I get one it will be the lighest version I can find that will do the job.

I would not carry only one pole even though I seldom use two trekking poles at the same time while hiking. I do use a Speer hammock with a tarp and 2 poles give me a lot of ways to setup the tarp. If I need to sleep on the ground for some reason the two poles are very handy to have. We are talking about 3.2oz not pounds.

My Light or Ultra-Lite philosophy is to look at each piece of gear I carry separately and it needs to be the lightest safe to use item I can afford or make. Being in Texas my standard joke about this is that if a Texan wants to go from Light to Ultra-Lite they trade in there Hummer 1 for a Hummer 2.

I once hike the approach trail for the AT in GA up to Springer Mtn and on to Woody Gap. It was a very cold December weekend and my pack weight at the Lodge was 92 pounds. I was using all heavy Army stuff and eating MRE's. I was in great shape and had no problem doing the hike. Was it fun, H... no. My daughter picked me up at Woody Gap and asked how my hike went. Well, we had a real good laugh and hiking lighter became my instant goal.

Pencil Pusher
06-05-2004, 17:43
Ah, I referenced the poles thinking your hiking poles. I've carried too much crap myself... what a nice difference when I finally started thinking light. Granted I froze my ass off a few times in the process. I can understand taking two poles for your situation, good job making them ultra light.

gardenville
06-12-2004, 12:41
I had several suggestions about using a different material for my handle on the pole. I have replaced the bamboo grip with a EVA grip. EVA is a black foam stuff that is used on golf clubs, fishing rods and other things. With the EVA grip my Trekking Pole now weighs 2.8oz. I still have an adjustable wrist strap. I put a picture of this handle in "My Gallery".

Pencil Pusher
06-13-2004, 21:19
Neat photos, nice mini sled. Is the sled for personal recreation or to tow the pack or both? Those poles sure are scrawny!

gardenville
06-13-2004, 22:01
Thanks for the complements. The sled can be used for either. I made the sled/pack frame for hiking in the snow where I could pull the sled with the pack on top of it. When it can't be pulled you carry it like a external frame pack. I like to cross-country ski and it can be pulled behind you for a backcountry ski trip. I made a set of very light weight poles to use between me and the sled to keep it from sliding into me when going downhill. The sled weighs about 3 pounds and is strong enough to sit on. It is just a little short to ride on or play on. I hope to use the sled/pack on a winter climb of Mt Katahdin early next year. You ski in one day, climb Katahdin early the next day take a lot of pictures go back down and ski out. Normally a 2 day trip.

The poles are strong but anything can break. I hike with a hammock and tarp for my shelter so the poles are used for the tarp also when necessary.

Pencil Pusher
06-13-2004, 22:26
So has there been much skiing in San Antonio lately?;) Dude, you're living in the wrong state!

gardenville
06-13-2004, 22:54
I know, I would like to move to New Hampshire. I like the White Mtns and everything toward Mt Katahdin.

I have a house here and way to much stuff to just pick-up and go. I am trying to put myself on a 5 year plan to get rid of stuff and sell my house. I have been here for 2 different 100 year snows. The streets were a disaster zone for a few days. Last winter we did get 3 snow flakes.

I don't like Texas for hiking. I like trees and mountains as along the AT. Hikers are also expected to get out of the way of horses and Mtn Bikes on most trails.

Pencil Pusher
06-13-2004, 23:33
Keep the house in Texas and find a gal that owns a house in New Hampshire. The best of both worlds! Otherwise, NH gets all their money from property taxes and you'll be moving from a ranch to an apartment.

gardenville
06-13-2004, 23:52
That is one idea. I want to go to NH and look around and will keep your information in mind. Well they don't have a State personel income tax so I guess they have to get their money someway. Maybe I can find a place to exchange some work for room and board. I do know how to plow snow.

I might just hike back and forth on the AT for a few years. Live in the woods and go south for the cooler months and go north for the warmer months.

gardenville
08-03-2004, 12:55
As an update I have found a lighter EVA grip for my poles. It feels better in my hand and brings the weight down to 2.6oz.

I also was at my local Wal Mart and they have their Hunting Arrows back in stock. They are about $5 each, takes 2 for each pole.

I am calling these Trekking Poles "Hyper-Light". I want to start a Thread to decide how light a piece of gear has to weight to be called Hyper-Light. I expect about half to one third what we think of as Ultra-Light.

tlbj6142
08-10-2004, 15:13
I thought we should link these two threads together (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5284). As I have a few more details about the contruction of the poles.

Most of the ideas came from Gardenville. I just filled in the details.