PDA

View Full Version : Tent Footprint?

kayak4life87
04-15-2009, 10:17
Should I carry my foot print with me?

Pedaling Fool
04-15-2009, 10:28
I carried a footprint when I started in 2006, soon ditched it. It's a waste of time messing with, just something else to screw with when settin' up/breakin' down camp. My tent floor is fine, since I stopped using it (only used it for about a month). In my experience the foot print doesn't alway prevent water getting between the tent floor & the foot print, when it rains hard water will get in between. What really keeps you dry is your thermarest.

I've heard some people put their foot print on the inside of the tent, I've never done that, but sounds like that may be more effective than placing on the ground.

hikergirl1120
04-15-2009, 10:40
Ok so what do you do with a down bag??

ao2008
04-15-2009, 10:41
A lightweight option is to cut a peice of tyvek and use that as a footprint. I used that same one for my entire thru hike. I cut it to the shape I wanted, then washed it once in cold water, no soap, and it was ready to go. Plus is folds up small.

Pedaling Fool
04-15-2009, 11:00
Ok so what do you do with a down bag??
A wet down bag is a little overstated -- you won't freeze to death. Mine got wet all the time, NOT SOAKING WET, except around the feet where it would slip off the thermarest.

Being cold miserable and wet is part of the experience, you'll learn to like it or you'll be one of the people that get off.

rainmakerat92
04-15-2009, 11:03
I don't carry a foot print. My full-length Z-Rest keeps my down bag off the floor and dry.

If you are out for an extended period of time the tent floor is going to get wet (on the inside), whether you take a foot print or not.

hikergirl1120
04-15-2009, 11:06
My down bag doesnt stay completely on the therma rest...If the tent floor was wet so would my bag undoubtly be...I am hoping that my tent will keep water out for the most part though....

Pedaling Fool
04-15-2009, 11:17
My down bag doesnt stay completely on the therma rest...If the tent floor was wet so would my bag undoubtly be...I am hoping that my tent will keep water out for the most part though....
I don't think any tent floor out there is waterproof, I'm not even sure there's a waterproof rain cover for backpacks -- I know sounds strange, but true.

What tent do you have? And are you talking about the footprint that is designed for that tent? (not that it makes any difference for keeping the rain out).

hikergirl1120
04-15-2009, 11:33
I have a Mountain Hardwear Sprite 1 and the footprint

Pedaling Fool
04-15-2009, 11:43
Nice tent, but it's floor is not waterproof. Don't know about the designed footprint, but I'll be willing to bet that it is not waterproof, just a little more water resistant. I'm sure it will keep you dry in the rain, but water will get in during a really good downpour.

Another factor is that on the AT it's very hard to find a level spot to set up your tent, rendering the footprint useless, that's why I tend to believe people that say they stay completly dry when the put the footprint on the inside.

rainmakerat92
04-15-2009, 11:48

My down bag doesn't stay COMPLETELY dry, either. However, it has never gotten wet enough to cause any real problems when I'm using a full-length pad.

Tenderheart
04-15-2009, 11:57
The footprint is not intended to keep the tent floor dry, but to protect it. IMO, this is not necessary, since the floors are quite durable. Site selection is your best defense against a soggy bag. Always look for a slightly raised mound, just the same as if you had a tarp. Water should drain away from you on all sides.

litefoot 2000

Pedaling Fool
04-15-2009, 11:59
The footprint is not intended to keep the tent floor dry, but to protect it. IMO, this is not necessary, since the floors are quite durable. Site selection is your best defense against a soggy bag. Always look for a slightly raised mound, just the same as if you had a tarp. Water should drain away from you on all sides.

litefoot 2000
In some areas you'll have a better chance of finding bigfoot:D

GotDuhka
04-15-2009, 12:36

same here. Just use the foot print and if you decide you dont want it send it home. I think that some gambles aren't worth taking and if you feel you need it than take it. Besides the footprint weighs just a few ounces. And i know they add up and all but its not like your bringing something completely outside of the realm of necessary like your ipod or something that I see a lot of people have on their gear list.

hikergirl1120
04-15-2009, 12:38
No ipod here LOL

I just have "down bag" paranoia!

kayak4life87
04-15-2009, 13:12
I have the Marmot Eos 1p tent. Thanks for all the input. The footprint I know is just to protect the floor and not keep you dry. I dont know, I am still considering. Probably will not take it though. Just one more thing to mess with and I know that being wet sometimes is just part of the game. Being wet and hiking is a good day compared to a "normal" day for most of us. Thanks again.

Blissful
04-18-2009, 20:36
I was on muddy ground this past week on my section and was very glad for my tyvek ground sheet so I didn't have a muddy tent to pack away. And the tyvek dries ultra quick and weighs zippo.

Engine
04-19-2009, 10:36
I use a 2 mil embossed plastic drop sheet and it works well. It is surpisingly tough and weighs 4 ounces for a 4 x 7 1/2 foot piece.

daddytwosticks
04-19-2009, 13:23
Engine...what do you mean by "embossed" plastic drop sheets? The only stuff I've seen in hardware stores is the normal smooth, clear plastic type. Does the embossing add strenght? Thanks. :)

Engine
04-19-2009, 13:36
Engine...what do you mean by "embossed" plastic drop sheets? The only stuff I've seen in hardware stores is the normal smooth, clear plastic type. Does the embossing add strenght? Thanks. :)

I found it at WalMart recently at $3.80 for an 8 x 12 sheet. The plastic is clear but embossed with a texture that sort of resembles a highly raised ripstop. It does seem to be very tough for it's weight and I had to really try to punch a hole through it with a butter knife before it tore. It's in the paint department with all the other plastic sheeting in a small roll.

daddytwosticks
04-19-2009, 18:30
Thanks Engine...will check it out! :)

gonewalkabout
04-19-2009, 19:12
a ground cloth protects your tent floor form abrasion and punctures and keeps it cleanner. I use a 2 to 2.5 mil painters drop cloth (much lighter than tyvek) avaiable at any hardware store for $2-4. Its about as light as you can get. Just besure to cut it a few inches smaller than your tent floor. If it sticks out it will act as a rain gutter and water will flow under you tent.

phillycheze
04-24-2009, 01:20
dig a moat