PDA

View Full Version : Trail/Terrain AFTER Low Gap Shelter NB

ssforcey
04-15-2009, 10:19
Trying to plan for our upcoming 3 night hike from Neals Gap to around Addis Gap. I've heard that the trail after leaving Low Gap Shelter going NB is one of the easiest sections of the AT. Thinking if it's that "easy" and flat that we may be able to extend this day by a couple of miles and go a little bit farther. Thanks so much.

Sharon

UnkaJesse
04-15-2009, 10:23
For most of the way from Low Gap to Chattahoochee Gap, it's an old logging road -- double track. Nothing too taxing.

Tenderheart
04-15-2009, 10:56
I remember the hike up Kelly Knob just out of Addis Gap being the first climb that really hurt me in 2000. I suppose this is one of the easier sections, or should I say "less hard". I remember one of the easiest stretches being in North Carolina in the Muskrat Creek and Standing Indian area. Enjoy your trip.

litefoot 2000

scope
04-15-2009, 11:12
Trying to plan for our upcoming 3 night hike from Neals Gap to around Addis Gap. I've heard that the trail after leaving Low Gap Shelter going NB is one of the easiest sections of the AT. Thinking if it's that "easy" and flat that we may be able to extend this day by a couple of miles and go a little bit farther. Thanks so much.

Sharon

Where were you planning on stopping? Yes, the trail after Low Gap is very mild for about 6 miles and should make good time on it. Trail gets rocky as you get close to climbing up Blue Mt which will slow you down some, but its not a big climb. That gets you to the top of the "V" with Rocky Mt being the other top.

Where are you going from Addis?

bigmac_in
04-15-2009, 16:17
Very nice section of trail from Low Gap north. I would definitely call it easy for most hikers, and very pretty as well. I would love to do that section again.

I'm assuming you are camping at Addis Gap. We camped at Sassafras Gap after leaving Low Gap that morning, which is just before Addis. The problem with pushing on is Kelly Knob. That's a pretty steep grade at the end of a long day. I would suggest camping at Addis Gap, and heading up Kelly Knob the next morning.

If you want to extend a day, I'd extend the first one - hike on past Low Gap - there are several very nice campsites just a mile or two past Low Gap. Fill your water bottles at Low Gap first. Hike on to Rocky Mountain the second day, then get off on Tray Mountain Rd.

Your other option is to do Neel-Low Gap day 1, Low Gap-Addis Gap day2, and Addis-Unicoi day 3. That is the safest option, and the one you probably had already planned on. I'd still consider the campsites past Low Gap if I had to do it over.