PDA

View Full Version : Seedhouse SL1 Help

NCYankee
04-15-2009, 13:47
So I just bought a SL1 on Ebay, listed as new.

I throw it on my scale and its packed weight comes in at 3lbs 7.9ozs. REI lists the packed weight as 2lbs 13ozs. Now, I am not going to freak out over an 11oz difference but I am wondering if I was ripped off, like maybe the poles of a regular Seedhouse were thrown in (the packed weight of a Seedhouse is listed as 3lbs 14ozs). I was wondering if anyone could confirm the weight of items or provide pictures of them so I can make sure that I didn’t get ripped off or have elements of an Seedhouse thrown in… the poles alone could make the difference or something. I was really excited and now I’m concerned…

Thanks!

gearfreak
04-15-2009, 13:59
If it's and SL 1 it should look like this. (http://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Tent/SeedhouseSL1) You can also look at the specs on the original Seedhouse 1 here. :cool:

mikec
04-15-2009, 14:06
I own this tent and have seen varying weights associated with it. I believe just the tent itself is 2lb, 12oz. But, when you include the poles, cords and the stuff sack, it probably comes out to 3lb, 11oz.

At first I was a little miffed myself in that I replaced a Eurika Zephyr (now called Backcountry1), which weighs in at 3lb, 11 oz. When I held the two tents up, they felt about the same.

This is a good tent. My only complaints are that the door is a bit small for big guys like me and that the way to vent this tent is to pull the tarp guy lines out further. That sort of limits your view from inside the tent. Other than that, it's easy to put up and is well made.

Jester2000
04-15-2009, 14:21
I own this tent and have seen varying weights associated with it. I believe just the tent itself is 2lb, 12oz. But, when you include the poles, cords and the stuff sack, it probably comes out to 3lb, 11oz.

At first I was a little miffed myself in that I replaced a Eurika Zephyr (now called Backcountry1), which weighs in at 3lb, 11 oz. When I held the two tents up, they felt about the same.

This is a good tent. My only complaints are that the door is a bit small for big guys like me and that the way to vent this tent is to pull the tarp guy lines out further. That sort of limits your view from inside the tent. Other than that, it's easy to put up and is well made.

Yeah, I wish manufacturers would have a "definitions" page on their sites where they explain THEIR versions of "weight," packed weight," "trail weight," etc. so you know what they're including in each.

max patch
04-15-2009, 14:25
Yeah, I wish manufacturers would have a "definitions" page on their sites where they explain THEIR versions of "weight," packed weight," "trail weight," etc. so you know what they're including in each.

Actually, Big Agnes does -- which is probably why the OP is asking the question.

FamilyGuy
04-15-2009, 14:30
A couple of things:

1.) Pre-2006 SL1's weighed in at 3lbs, 5oz. The ones after that (mid-2006 on) weigh in at exactly 2lbs, 15 oz packed.

2.) the non-SL1 version currently weighs 3lbs, 8 oz (pre-2006 it weighed almost 4 lbs)

Do you think that you either have an older SL1 version or a newer non-SL1 version?

NCYankee
04-15-2009, 14:52
It is a possibility that this is an older model, but I have a hard time believing that based off the Ebay ad description (it is always a possibility, I mean we're not talking a retailer here, just some dude selling a tent).
The poles themselves are grey with "DAC FEATHERLITE" written on them... I don't know if that is the original Seedhouse of the SL1.
The stakes don't match the website at all, or even my Seedhouse 3. These are the regular curved tent stakes, weighing in at 3.8ozs for 7 stakes and 4.8ozs for two guy lines.
The little tent information card appears to be in Spanish... I know in cameras and electronics Grey Market exists, but I don't think the same of tents.
I guess I'm just looking for confirmation of whether I was ripped off or not... I can weigh each individual item and get an idea what each item weighs.

NCYankee
04-15-2009, 14:57
After reading through the specs again for the 5th time on the BA website something stands out:

"11 Superlight aluminum J stakes – featuring eco-friendly anodizing - included"

Since the stakes included in this tent don't match the ones on the website, in addition to there only being 7 stakes, I have to believe that this is just the older version of the tent. The downside of that is that it is also a heavier version of the tent.

While technically not false advertising, I do still feel misled.

Engine
04-15-2009, 15:04
After reading through the specs again for the 5th time on the BA website something stands out:

"11 Superlight aluminum J stakes – featuring eco-friendly anodizing - included"

Since the stakes included in this tent don't match the ones on the website, in addition to there only being 7 stakes, I have to believe that this is just the older version of the tent. The downside of that is that it is also a heavier version of the tent.

While technically not false advertising, I do still feel misled.

You have a couple options. If you payed through Paypal or by credit card some other way, you can dispute the charge based on a misleading seller. Or, you can contact the seller directly and attempt to gain satisfaction (usually the best initial course of action). Lastly, you can chalk the whole thing up to experience and carry some extra weight until such time as you are able to find what you are looking for.

I hope it works out.

Mocs123
04-15-2009, 17:33
The J stakes are new this year so that wouldn't be the issue. I have a 2006 model that does have grey poles with DAC featherlite on them and the stakes are X style (It also should come with 13 stakes). If you can post pictures of the hub it can help identify the year of manufacture as that was one of the major changes. Be sure both the Fly and Tent Body are from a SL1 and not a regualar seedhouse.

Mocs123
04-15-2009, 17:55
Here is some new information:

Actual Weights (Including Tent, Fly, Poles, Stakes and Stuff Sacks)

Pre 2006 3lbs 5oz (Sorry I don't have a breakdown)

Post 2006

Pole = 268 g = 9.45 oz
Fly = 410 g = 14.46 oz
Tent = 446 g = 15.73 oz
13 Stakes = 158 g = 5.57 oz

Total grams = 1282 = 45.22 oz = 2 lbs. 13 oz. (smidge over if you REALLY want to be exact)

(1 stake = 12.15 g = 0.428 oz if you want to figure weight with less than 13 stakes)

You can compare your hub to the one on the Moontrail website (old hub) and the Big Agnes website (Post 2006 Hub).

NCYankee
04-15-2009, 18:52
Well I just took everything out and weighed it and inside the tent there was another bag of stakes, these being the straight light ones, thus when I take out the stake bag with the 8 J stakes and guylines and pole reinforcer I come in at exactly 2lbs 14ozs, which makes me think everything is kosher.

The question then becomes, what's the deal with this other bag having 8 J stakes and 5ozs of guylines...

Does the tent normally come with guylines?

I am starting to think that everything is legit and my freakout was because there is more in this bag then there should be.

reddenbacher
04-15-2009, 18:53
the poles on some sl1's snaped over and over last year maybe they got the heavier poles to keep them from snapping again.just a thought.

NCYankee
04-15-2009, 18:54
Here is some new information:

Actual Weights (Including Tent, Fly, Poles, Stakes and Stuff Sacks)

Pre 2006 3lbs 5oz (Sorry I don't have a breakdown)

Post 2006

Pole = 268 g = 9.45 oz
Fly = 410 g = 14.46 oz
Tent = 446 g = 15.73 oz
13 Stakes = 158 g = 5.57 oz

Total grams = 1282 = 45.22 oz = 2 lbs. 13 oz. (smidge over if you REALLY want to be exact)

(1 stake = 12.15 g = 0.428 oz if you want to figure weight with less than 13 stakes)

You can compare your hub to the one on the Moontrail website (old hub) and the Big Agnes website (Post 2006 Hub).

Thank you for doing that... I think everything is legit because I came up with:

good stakes in stuff sack: 5.7oz
poles: 10oz
pole bag: .4oz
fly 14.6oz
tent: 14.1oz
tent bag: .9oz

Thank you for going through the effort to calm my neurosis :)

Mocs123
04-15-2009, 22:27
No problem, you should see my gear spreadsheet, my wife thinks I am nuts!

I am just glad that you didn't get ripped off. It sounds like you got the stakes for another tent (cheaper tent) as well.

I hope you like your SL1. I have close to 100 nights in mine and it has held up great. I have seen biblical rain, 10" of snow, and high winds, and I have never had a problem.

Jester2000
04-16-2009, 12:54
Actually, Big Agnes does -- which is probably why the OP is asking the question.

Where can I find the page on BA's site where they define their terms?

max patch
04-16-2009, 13:52
Note: We list several weights for our tents to aid your product research.

Trail weight refers to poles, fly and tent body.

Packed weight includes poles, fly, tent body, stakes, guy lines, stuff sacks, instructions, and packaging.

Fast Fly weight refers to the poles, tent fly and accessory Fast Fly footprint.

http://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Tent/SeedhouseSL1

Of course, none of the definitions are what I take. "Trail weight" needs to include stakes, guy lines, and stuff sack.

Jester2000
04-16-2009, 18:12
Note: We list several weights for our tents to aid your product research.

Trail weight refers to poles, fly and tent body.

Packed weight includes poles, fly, tent body, stakes, guy lines, stuff sacks, instructions, and packaging.

Fast Fly weight refers to the poles, tent fly and accessory Fast Fly footprint.

http://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Tent/SeedhouseSL1

Of course, none of the definitions are what I take. "Trail weight" needs to include stakes, guy lines, and stuff sack.

Thanks! Didn't see that there at the bottom -- and you're right about what "trail weight" should be. Pretty much packed weight minus the instructions and packaging.