PDA

View Full Version : Leaving for Springer on Friday!!! My List...Advice?

Il Duce
04-15-2009, 14:25
I think, think I got all my shtuff straight, take a look and any tips? Also, anyone know where I can buy a Frogg Togg Top on the way to Atlanta from Jacksonville, and possibly a stove? The one I ordered was supposed to be here yesterday...

Oh yea, two people are going
My pack weighs 29lbs with food and no water
Her pack weighs 19lbs with food and no water

Pack:
High Sierra 65
Her pack

Shelter and Sleep:
2-Tarp
2-ENO Hammock
2-cinch buckle strap set ups
2-20* rated sleeping bag(underquilt a possibility but trying not too spend $$)
2- sets of figure 9 tie outs

Kitchen:
SuperCat stove (Thanks JaxHiker)
***brasslite II-D ordered*** not in yet
2 Plastic fork and knife
2 bic lighters
2- .5 liter bottles of Denatured Alcohol
2- windsreens (Thanks JaxHiker)
2 gatorade bottles
2-k-mart grease pots
2- 2liter platypus
3- 1liter platypus

Misc:
first aid kit
2-AquaMira
2-pocket knife
2- LED headlamps
duct tape
camera & charger
pen and pencil
***Soap*** Any recomendations
hand sanitizer
2-pack towel
50 foot parachute cord
guidebook
2-pack covers
3-big black garbage bags
6-bandannas

Clothing Packed: MINE ONLY
UnderArmor long sleeve bottom and tops -camp&sleep
Fleece jacket
1-columbia long sleeve shirt
1-columbia short sleeve shirts
down jacket
1- boardshorts
2- wool socks
2- liner socks
1-UnderArmor underwear

Clothing Worn: MINE ONLY
1-columbia short sleeve shirt
1-underarmor underwear
1-basketball shorts
1-liner socks
1-wool socks
1-boots

CrumbSnatcher
04-15-2009, 14:32
having the light/right gear will help alot, but it ain't the gear going to get you to maine! remember how long you planned, how long you wanted this. don't give up, if times are tough? they will get better! the trail can be an asskicker some days and somedays it don't get no better. don't ever quit in a town if your at that stage go back out and try a couple more days. its to easy to quit in town. GA-ME BEST THING I EVER DID. ''THE JOURNEY IS THE DESITANATION'' ive' quit before, yeah that sucked. i was bored went home, then realized back home was the same ole crap!

CrumbSnatcher
04-15-2009, 14:36
oh' forgot to say. just have fun!!!!!!

Il Duce
04-15-2009, 14:40
oh' forgot to say. just have fun!!!!!!

I'm going at it like football. Everyone knows the first few weeks suck. Two-a-days, etc...

Just have to grin and bear it, then it'll be worth it.

Or so I assume

kayak karl
04-15-2009, 14:42
I
Shelter and Sleep:
2-Tarp
2-ENO Hammock
2-cinch buckle strap set ups
2-20* rated sleeping bag(underquilt a possibility but trying not too spend $$)
2- sets of figure 9 tie outs

take 2 walmart blue pads. good down to 35* or so. cheap and you can put them in a hiker box when not needed. the bag will not keep u warm from below. have you tested your hammocks for a full cold nite:):-? other then that....
:bananaHAVE A GREAT HIKE:banana

1azarus
04-15-2009, 15:07
take 2 walmart blue pads. good down to 35* or so. cheap and you can put them in a hiker box when not needed. the bag will not keep u warm from below. have you tested your hammocks for a full cold nite:):-? other then that....

kayak karl is right on for advice...

Il Duce
04-15-2009, 15:52
take 2 walmart blue pads. good down to 35* or so. cheap and you can put them in a hiker box when not needed. the bag will not keep u warm from below. have you tested your hammocks for a full cold nite

Tested, but not on a cold night. 50 degrees here in Florida is cold though. Am I better off making my own underquilts then?

Il Duce
04-15-2009, 22:56
Really? Come on guys...I can use whatever advice ya'll got

kayak karl
04-15-2009, 23:04
Really? Come on guys...I can use whatever advice ya'll got
practice the 12 E's of Excellence.:D

you'll do fine, have fun:sun

Bilge Rat
04-16-2009, 00:04
Of course, you know that to have a successful hike, you need to carry at LEAST 9 rolls of toilet paper.........:D

kayak karl
04-16-2009, 07:11
Of course, you know that to have a successful hike, you need to carry at LEAST 9 rolls of toilet paper.........:D
and spinach, cans of spinach:D

Boudin
04-16-2009, 08:54
Have a great trip!!! If you forgot anything, it won't be a major disaster. Pick it up at Mountain Crossings or have it sent to you. You can do without whatever it is until then. If you have too much crap, you can send it home. Don't fret and don't over think it. Crumb had good advice about not quitting in a town. It's not a mountain, pack weight, or gear that will kick your ass....it's the space between your ears.

If you take prescription meds, do you have refills available or do you need to update your prescriptions?

traildust
04-16-2009, 09:01
Kitchen:
SuperCat stove (Thanks JaxHiker)
***brasslite II-D ordered*** not in yet
2 Plastic fork and knife REPLACE WITH SPORK
2 bic lighters ADD A BOX OF WATERPROOF MATCHES
2- .5 liter bottles of Denatured Alcohol
2- windsreens (Thanks JaxHiker)
2 gatorade bottles
2-k-mart grease pots
2- 2liter platypus CAN CUT THIS IN HALF
3- 1liter platypus CUT TO ONE.
STOP MORE OFTEN FOR WATER. WILL HELP WITH PACE AS WELL.

Misc:
first aid kit
2-AquaMira
2-pocket knife ONE IS FINE
2- LED headlamps
duct tape ARE YOU CARRYING POLES? IF SO WRAP DUCT TAPE ON THE POLES. ABOUT 6 FEET PER POLE.
camera & charger
pen and pencil
***Soap*** Any recomendations (GO TO OUTFITTERS AND GET AN EMPTY BOTTLE about 2 Oz and fill it with Joy. We carried Hotel size soap bars and resupplied when we hit towns.)
hand sanitizer I WOULD LEAVE IT AT HOME.
2-pack towel
50 foot parachute cord
guidebook
2-pack covers
3-big black garbage bags
6-bandannas (CUT TO TWO EACH AND BUY NEW ONE'S ON THE TRAIL)

Clothing Packed: MINE ONLY
UnderArmor long sleeve bottom and tops -camp&sleep
Fleece jacket
1-columbia long sleeve shirt
1-columbia short sleeve shirts
down jacket
1- boardshorts
2- wool socks
2- liner socks
1-UnderArmor underwear

Clothing Worn: MINE ONLY
1-columbia short sleeve shirt
1-underarmor underwear
1-basketball shorts
1-liner socks
1-wool socks
1-boots

Looks good. Go slow even if you think you can go fast. Enjoy. Wish we were heading out as well. Traildust

Il Duce
04-16-2009, 10:48

You mean the ones that are rolled up like yoga mats or the self-inflate ones?

I just picked up 2 of the lite blue yoga mat looking ones...hopefully I made the right choice?

Jack - Straw
04-16-2009, 10:51
Bought a $5 pack of these little guys at Neels Gap. (Sea to Summit makes them)

Your pack weight looks great. I just finished on Easter a hike from Springer to Erwin TN. It was simply put, the best time I ever had in my life!!! Even with the cold.. My pack weighed too much though. With 3-5 days of food and a litre or two of water I was between 35-45 lbs, depending on what kind of food I packed.

One day, a guy I was hiking with switched packs with me for about 3 hours. His pack weighed 25 lbs. I was in HEAVEN!!!! I will never go out there again until I have mastered the weight issue, it takes a great time and makes it even better!!! (BTW- the guy who carried my pack developed knee pain that night, thank God he felt better in the morning)

Good luck and congrats on keeping your pack weight down! Jack Straw

SteveJ
04-16-2009, 12:53
You mean the ones that are rolled up like yoga mats or the self-inflate ones?

I just picked up 2 of the lite blue yoga mat looking ones...hopefully I made the right choice?

That's it! You may need to take extra clothing and put between your shoulders and the hammock fabric, as the pad isn't wide enough for most at the shoulders. You should be OK with these, in zipped up sleeping bags, to about 30. Below that, it's going to be cold. Be prepared to wear all your clothes, etc...... If things aren't working, you can always re-evaluate at Mountain Crossings.

Have a great hike!

Two Tents
04-16-2009, 13:02
Stuff sack to hang your food. Happy Trails --- Two Tents

Ladytrekker
04-16-2009, 14:07
What about trekking poles?

BigCat
04-16-2009, 14:38
take 2 walmart blue pads.

i concur! i used a blue pad and never had a problem.

peanuts
04-16-2009, 15:23
in what section of walmart did you buy it from? if from the camping section

then yes is the correct one. of you bought it at the exercise section wrong

kind. camping section much lighter than an actual yoga mat. if from camping

dept, it work best if you cut it down the middle (2 36" sections)and place in

the hammock vertically instead of length wise. this will offer coverage to your

shoulders, hip from heat loss. hope that helps! have a great trip!

Il Duce
04-17-2009, 06:21
Off to see the wizard

EverydayJourneyman
04-17-2009, 08:35
good luck Duce. I'm about a week behind you. Take a few extra zero days and I'll see you around May 15th. :)

SunnyWalker
04-17-2009, 22:24
While your hiking take time to smell the roses. Don't fall into the gotta-get-going-going!! trap.

JaxHiker
04-17-2009, 23:19
And don't forget to pet the bears. ;)

HikersMom21
04-24-2009, 18:02
My son is entering his second week and is at Blueberry Patch now. He is thinking of quitting and says his knees are killing him. He is 21 and has never done the AT before. I hear the first month is a bitch no matter what, so I am worried he is giving up too soon and will regret it later. If anyone is willing, a call to the Blueberry Patch, (706) 896-4893 to encourage Michael from some of you experienced hikers would be appreciated, I am sure! If he hears it from someone other than Mom, maybe he can continue and have no regrets that he gave up too soon!

Trailbender
04-25-2009, 16:32
I will be hitting Springer around May 10th, for a 3 month hike. I don't have classes on the summer semester, and I have been wanting to do this for years.

didymus128
04-25-2009, 17:24
I will be hitting Springer around May 10th, for a 3 month hike. I don't have classes on the summer semester, and I have been wanting to do this for years.

how far are you planning to go? i'm a student at MTSU, also, recreation major. I'm attempting a thru next summer