PDA

View Full Version : Iron Mountain Shelter

Former Admin
10-19-2002, 12:26
Info, questions, comments, experiences (good or bad) regarding - Iron Mountain Shelter

Past/Present hikers - what can future hikers expect here? Have any good stories or memories from here?

Future hikers - any questions?

stranger
12-11-2002, 23:51
Pass water on way to shelter, good tentsites in front, easy 26 into Damascus and Quincys!

Lone Wolf
12-12-2002, 07:13
Hey Stranger. No more Quincy's. It's now called Sicily's, Run by Egyptians who are muslims so no beer either. Oh well. Change.

stranger
12-12-2002, 09:08
No more Quincys??? Sorry to hear that, had a few real good times in there. Oh well...Change!

Hillbilly
07-25-2003, 13:24
Gosh, Stranger....is any 26 an easy 26?

This is a leg of a section for my son and I to do in June of next year. If we need to cut this 26 in half, where's the best place to do it? Thanks in advance - hillbilly

sirbingo
07-26-2006, 08:33
No more Quincys??? Sorry to hear that, had a few real good times in there. Oh well...Change!

I forgot about Quincys!...Weren't they the home of the big yeast roll?

H2O_Buffalo
12-10-2006, 16:20
The spring just before Iron Mountain Shelter was dry in September of 2005.

Berserker
04-18-2008, 13:07
I was at this shelter on 3/1/08 (same trip I stayed at Vandeventer...see post there for info on that shelter). As others have indicated this shelter is located in an area that has plenty of room for tenting. I prefer using a tent, and being near the shelter is nice for packing and hanging out in (in case it raining). The tent spots are all out in front of the shelter.

The spring crosses the trail about 0.2 miles before the shelter, and going back to it from the shelter is not a big deal (it's a gradual ascent to the shelter from the spring).

There are not any real good views from this area, but the shelter is in a location where it seems to be fairly sheltered from wind. The shelter itself is typical of what I have seen in TN...nothing of note there.

Kerosene
11-05-2008, 10:51
Yes, typical TN shelter design: room for 6, cinder block sides, tin roof, uncovered picnic table, no privy.

I did like the location with the relatively sparse trees and ample tent sites. Note that the spring north of the shelter was completely dry in October 2008, a drought year.

fredmugs
07-09-2009, 11:26
Yes, typical TN shelter design: room for 6, cinder block sides, tin roof, uncovered picnic table, no privy.

I did like the location with the relatively sparse trees and ample tent sites. Note that the spring north of the shelter was completely dry in October 2008, a drought year.

I am planning on staying there (or near there) next Friday. Just wondering if relatively sparse trees = bad location for hammocking?

Lone Wolf
07-09-2009, 11:40
I am planning on staying there (or near there) next Friday. Just wondering if relatively sparse trees = bad location for hammocking?

plenty of trees

Berserker
07-09-2009, 12:05
plenty of trees
Agreed. The shelter is in the background in the attached picture, and the picture was taken in front of the shelter.

Rockhound
07-09-2009, 12:07
3 miles south there is a sweet camping spot also. Reports of bear activity in the log book when I went through recently too, so be sure to sleep with your food so the bear wont get it.