PDA

View Full Version : Rain jacket

RossDude
04-15-2009, 23:31
I'm trying to decide on a lightweight rain jacket for my 2-week hike this summer and I've got it narrowed down to these two: http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?id=0042848922933a&_requestid=133772

and
http://www.equinoxltd.com/the-gear/raingear/terrapin-regular-poncho.cfm

Any suggestions?

dloome
04-16-2009, 01:12
First one.

Summit
04-16-2009, 06:48
I'll ditto Bleach. A lot of folks like ponchos but not me. They are a PITA in wind. I much prefer a good set of rain pants/jacket and a form fitting pack cover.

jigsaw
04-16-2009, 07:37
if you like the poncho idea then look at the packa.com
imho the best rain gear on the market

NCYankee
04-16-2009, 07:41
look at the packa.com

I think you have the wrong url in there...

daddytwosticks
04-16-2009, 07:42
You're gonna get all sorts of opinions on this...if it's a summer hike, why don't you try that poncho? In my humble opinion, ponchos work great in summertime, unless you are hiking at very high elevation, like the Whites. :)

JAK
04-16-2009, 07:56
I like a smaller poncho also like they used to sell. I have an old one that is just over 4'x8'. I have a new one about 5'x9' but haven't tried it yet. We use my poncho alot because we take it on day trips and use it as a ground sheet under a wool blanket for picnicing, and sometimes as a wind break, and also as a tarp if it ever comes to that. I've been eyeballing really cheap light plastic rain tarps at the dollar store but when I take Margaret and her friends on day hikes their mothers always keep them well supplied with rain gear. Maybe for when summer gets here I can leave their heavy stuff in the car if I have some cheap light backup. If their mothers only knew how much stuff I leave in the car they would lynch me for sure.

Kerosene
04-16-2009, 15:10
I'd also take a look at www.thepacka.com (http://www.thepacka.com). I think you'll find that it will perform a lot better than a traditional poncho in the wind, and the big pit zips will still give you a lot of airflow.

hammock engineer
04-16-2009, 15:13
If you are open to others www.steepandcheap.com (http://www.steepandcheap.com) has been having a lot of packlite goretex Golite and lowe alpine jackets as of late.

cravj1988
04-16-2009, 15:48
I would forget the rain jacket if you are hiking the AT south of PA for your summer trip. You will beg for rain to cool you down and to fill up the springs. Seriously, all you will need is 3 pair of socks, shorts, and a t-shirt.

Spock
04-16-2009, 16:44
Jacks R better has a breathable DriDucks Poncho like the thing from Cabellas. But if you don't like a poncho, the regular DriDucks suit is great! Mine has lasted one thruhike and then some. But like CAVJ says, 3 pairs of socks, shorts (no underwear) and a T is usually fine the PA south in summer. However, if you get cold, the DriDucks jacket will be welcome. You can wear it to keep bugs off, too. It breathes enough to dry you off when you stop on a warm day.

gravityman
04-16-2009, 18:04
I would forget the rain jacket if you are hiking the AT south of PA for your summer trip. You will beg for rain to cool you down and to fill up the springs. Seriously, all you will need is 3 pair of socks, shorts, and a t-shirt.

Really depends. I sent my rain jacket back to the manufacturer for replacement because it was leaking. I had a windshirt that was water resistant. I really thought that would be fine for mid june in the heat. I was wrong. A cold front with a lot of moisture moved in and I was damn cold and cursing myself for not having gotten my old rain jacket mailed to me before switching out.

When you are pushing the fine line of being ultralight, a rain jacket is not the place to cut the weight.

Gravity

superman
04-16-2009, 18:26
I like hiking rain jackets the same as I like my women.:)

reddenbacher
04-16-2009, 18:57
packa,its a sheter too.it dosnt act like a poncho more like a jacket.

Phoenixdadeadhead
04-16-2009, 21:03
I know others have said it, but Ponchos are the way to go.

Pros:
1.you cover yourself and your gear
2.it also works as a shelter when needed
3.when hangin your pack you can slide your hoop through the poncho to keep the rain out
4. Even the best 1's are cheap, so your not too upset when they get torn

Cons:
1: a coat will keep you warm on a mountain top
2:they tend to keep your upper body dryer
3:less likely to snag on branches

I have prolly missed a ton on both sides, but this is how I decided to go with a poncho