PDA

View Full Version : Pack It Up

Cross
04-16-2009, 01:00
Hey guys, if you'd like to see my previous post on gear questions check it out here: http://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=48895

My other post was in the AT Thru-Hikers forum but I figure with more gear questions, the gear forum makes more sense right =) Some of the advice I got there was to fill in some my other equipment before I bought a pack. So off I went.

Since that post I have filled in two of my "big three" for the time being. I have a Kelty Light Year XP (20 deg, synthetic) and the Sierra Designs Lightning 2 Tent which I just bagged on Steep And Cheap for way less than I was planning on paying for a Clip Flashlight. The Lightning is just slightly heavier than I hoped, but I think the bit extra will be worth it for the tent. I can't wait for it to get here so I can set it up and try it out (I realize it might be a bit risky, but the SAC deal was worth the cost of a return if it doesn't work out).

With that, I come to a decision on a pack. Right now my main contender is the Gregory Z55 which I have looked at a bit in person at a local outfitter and shopped around a bit online for.

Considering the weight and volume of my current gear...
Kelty Light Year XP (2lb 14oz)
Sierra Designs Lightning 2 (3 lbs 15 oz according to SAC)

Adding in food, water, clothes, and other essentials...

Is the Z55 suitable? I won't be buying a stove for a long while since I have a hiking partner that has one, but I might have to get one eventually. Even so, it'd probably be nice to carry it from time to time.

Some info about what it will be used for: A few overnights, mostly 2-3 day trips, perhaps a few a bit longer with resupply (5-7 days). If it is good enough to hold up till 2011 or 2012 and accompany me on a thru-hike, then all the better :D

Thanks!

NCYankee
04-16-2009, 07:45
I carry a z55 as my pack for anything that is 4 days or less between resupplies and NOT cold weather/mountaineering gear... I can easily fit all my gear in there with room to spare. If I need to bring cold weather/mountaineering gear then I am still carrying my 15 year old Dana Design Terraplane which can hold 2-3 people's gear (the sleeping bag compartment is bigger than my current daypack).

The z55 works great for me as long as I keep my total weight under 35lbs (I'm at 20lbs dry currently). You should be very happy with that pack.

mister krabs
04-16-2009, 09:02
That pack is ~3350 cubic inches. using a cylinder calculator for volume and specs on the web, you've got 1500 cubic inches in tent and sleeping bag. What are you using for a sleeping pad? It could be several hundred as well. Clothes, food, and water need to count too.

A tall kitchen garbage bag is about 3000 cu. in. can you fit everything in there?

I see you're in atlanta, get what you have together and throw it in a z55 over at REI. Put the stuff you're thinking about getting (like a stove) in there too. If you go on a busy saturday, they'll be happy enough to leave you alone to try stuff on.