PDA

View Full Version : Delaware Water Gap during the Summer (Too hot?)

Kneegrinder
04-16-2009, 13:42
I am planning my hikes for this summer would like to do a short section hike around the Delaware Water Gap but my only free time for that might be the end of July. Is it deadly hot around there in July/August in which case I'll go farther north or higher up. What kind of temperatures might I expect on the trail there?
Kneegrinder

buff_jeff
04-16-2009, 13:47
I sectioned Port Clinton, PA to PenMar in August during a heat wave and didn't really have a problem. It's way cooler in the woods than you would expect. I say go for it, you shouldn't have a problem.

buff_jeff
04-16-2009, 13:48
http://www.weather.com/weather/wxclimatology/monthly/graph/USPA0393?from=36hr_bottomnav_undeclared

cravj1988
04-16-2009, 16:07
Ridiculously hot, humid and dry in PA during that time of the year. Not too mention the rocks. Try the 100 mile wilderness in Maine, but no earlier than the 1st week of Aug; else the black flies will eat you alive. Absolutely spectacular!! It is just a different kind of forest up there. And with a car, you could drop supplies about half way where the AT crosses Jo-Marry Rd.

elangomat
04-16-2009, 17:15
There are some nice spots along the trail in Jersey where you can jump into some lakes and cool off.

gregor
04-16-2009, 18:06
My little brother and I are sectioning NJ, and maybe part of NY in early august. I figure it will be hot, but hot in the woods is better than hot in the city.

shelterbuilder
04-16-2009, 20:37
It CAN get hot, but not always. Plan on taking some extra water with you, and maybe doing fewer miles.

Also, think about taking an afternoon break (a siesta, if you will) during the heat of the afternoon. Maybe eat your cooked "supper" at lunchtime, and your lunch at suppertime. Clean up after your noon meal, stretch the hammock between two trees, and take an afternoon nap for a few hours. After it starts to cool down, start hiking again, and go until evening. That afternoon nap will put quite a bit of spring in your step, and you'll be doing miles that are more comfortable during cooler parts of the day.

Toolshed
04-16-2009, 20:48
OK SO I am about 30 minutes from the DWG-I hike here frequently in June July and August. It can get quite hot (mid-90's) and humid. I think May and September are much better times to hike here.

jrnj5k
04-16-2009, 21:28
Right by me. Go for it. Gonna e in the 80's mid day could get to the 90's on a nasty day and in the low 80's high 70's at night. I think its some great weather for camping!

Wise Old Owl
04-16-2009, 23:00
Ok I can go out on a limb here and saw on the wrong side, I have noticed on several hiking trips that the temps at the top of Delaware Water Gap in those months, are cooler then you come down of the "hill" and sweat buckets.

JKulick
04-17-2009, 06:59
It isnt the heat you need to worry about in this area, its the humidity. It could easily get over 90 % that time of year.