PDA

View Full Version : solo sobo's reak in time

GotDuhka
04-16-2009, 14:52
How long did it take you to become more or less completely comfortable hiking/camping alone. Obviously i think most people are at least somewhat uneasy doing it at first. After all we all grew up with lions tigers and murderers.

GotDuhka
04-16-2009, 15:08
correction on title... "Break in time"

hammock engineer
04-16-2009, 15:16
Southern PA for me, or probably over a month of nights alone. I should add I was always fine hiking alone. Just nights got a little lonely.

bulldog49
04-16-2009, 19:31
Felt comfortable very first night alone. It's far preferable to having a crowd around. Solitude is the primary reason I go out into the woods.

solo29
04-16-2009, 20:21
bulldog said it all

Seeker
04-16-2009, 20:43
same here...

robertbrowder
04-16-2009, 21:29
Southern PA for me, or probably over a month of nights alone. I should add I was always fine hiking alone. Just nights got a little lonely.

wait---you had a whole month alone? is this typical for SOBOs? When were you on the trail, and when was this night?

hammock engineer
04-17-2009, 03:53
wait---you had a whole month alone? is this typical for SOBOs? When were you on the trail, and when was this night?

It's hard to say what is typical. I could have hiked with people the whole time. The problem was finding someone my speed. The people I met in Maine and up north were doing crazy miles, followed by some zero's. I didn't feel like hiking 30 miles for a few days only to party in town for a couple. I ended up a week or 2 behind a big group, than 4 days infront of the next person. I learned that after he caught up and we hiked for awhile.

I figured I did about a third of it alone. But I hiked with people that didn't spend a night alone. I'm glad I did. A little hard for me for awhile. But I think I am a lot better off now. Something nice about not having a cell signal for days, knowing you won't see anyone for days and knowing you are on your own.

BTW. Don't believe people when they tell you that you will never be alone, always be around people, always get a cell signal, always be someone at the shelter, or any other always involving people in the trail. After a certain time in the fall you are only going to see people on the weekends. After another part and it gets cold. You only meet the random cool person (normal people don't hike when it gets cold. Remember this is a good thing and we aren't normal and out there too).

It all comes down to what you want. A huge social thing go north, a less social thing go south. I think for me going south was the best thing for me and I wouldn't trade it.

hammock engineer
04-17-2009, 03:55
I forgot to say yes at night. Sometimes I would pass the random day hiker or someone else. Ambishing them to talk for a few minutes was always fun. Most of the weeknights were alone, some weekends as well. After October sometime I think there was maybe 6 or 7 nights including the Smokies that I stayed in the shelter with someone other than the people I was hiking with.