PDA

View Full Version : Hiking in NH

Otosan
04-16-2009, 15:50
I have been hiking the AT in Georgia and Tn, but luck has it I will be in NH this June and would like to get a three day hike in.
What I need is some info.
I will arrive in NH on a Monday (after a 1000 mile drive).
Day 1 (which would be that Monday) I would hope to be on the trail at about 2pm, hike 3 to 5 miles. That depends on how tired I am or how late it is or the weather.
Day 2 would like to do about 10 miles
Day 3 be off the trail at noon.

Any info about where to get on and off AT, shuttles, place to park car, water on the trail etc would be greatly appreciated.

If there are any good loops in the area that would lend itself to my trip, I would also like to know about.

cravj1988
04-16-2009, 15:57
Some of the best hiking on the trail is in NH. I would park at Pinkham Notch in the Whites and hike south through the Presidential Range maybe even as far as Franconia ridge or Mt. Lafayette and then return to the car NOBO.

DavidNH
04-16-2009, 16:51
Otosan,

You say you will have driven a thousand miles. Ugh! My suggestion is you drive up to Pinkham Notch and stay at the AMC pinkham notch camp on that Monday. Save the hiking till next day as you want to be rested up. You will have an all you can eat dinner and breakfast before you head out on trail.

So: Tuesday (day 1 on trail) hike to Madison Hut. Spend night here.
Wednesday (day 2) hike to Lakes of Clouds hut (this takes you over Mt Washington Summit).

Thursday (3) hike along Crawford Path to Crawford Notch, taking the Webster Jackson trail off the AT to the Highland Center. Here you can catch AMC shuttle to your car. Shuttle only runs once or twice a day and would cost you something like 10 bucks. If you can't get shuttle, then hope for a ride. You could also take AMC shuttle first day to Highland Center and hike trail northwards ending at your car.

Now if you don't want to stay in the huts (and that would cost you about 80-90 a night and require reservation months in advance) You should avoid the presidentials.

So, Option II:

You drive to Franconia Notch and park at Lafayette Place campground. if you are up to it, hike that day (backpacking that is) up to Liberty Spring Campsite. Day 2, hike Franconia Ridge over Mts Lincoln, Lafayette and Garfield and camp at Garfield Ridge Campsite. day 3 hike out either over South and North Twin or simply out on Gale River Trail. Either way you will need a pre arranged shuttle to get you back to your car. Or of course you could shuttle before hike and shuttle north and hike this in reverse back to car. Even if you are tenting, you will still need to pay the caretaker 8 dollars per night per site (2006 prices). You can not tent in just any 'ol place in the Whites!

Those are my reccommendations for three days hiking in Whites. Your biggest challenege will probably be arranging shuttles. If I where in your shoes, I'd definitely go for Option 1 and pay the hut fees. Heck you are only out for a few days, might as well see the best of the best. Besides the Huts give great food and cameraderie!

Keep in mind, if the weather is lousy, neither option would be much fun. Try to go mid July to mid August which is when weather conditions are most reliably nice.

DavidNH

Pokey2006
04-16-2009, 17:01
If you're going to do Mt. Washington, I'd start at Pinkham's Notch, heading up the Tuckerman Ravine Trail to the Hermit Lake campsite. Day 2, head up to the summit of Mt. Washington. See how you feel at that point. You have numerous options from there, either continuing on the AT northbound, if you have time to get to one of the RMC campsites, or heading down another trail back to Pinkham's Notch and calling it a day.

Don't try to plan too aggressive of an itinerary, as you may be surprised by the steepness of some of the trails. If you can, plan something that allows for you to shorten or lengthen the hike, depending on how you feel.

DavidNH
04-16-2009, 17:03
So very sorry. I just re read and found you wanted to arrive mid afternoon, have One day of hiking and be off trail by noon next day. So scratch that long post I just made.

Here is something that may work for you.

Day 1, arrive and park at Lafayette Place Campground. Hike from here to Liberty Spring Campsite.

Day 2, hike Franconia Ridge to summit of Mt. Lafayette, then down on Greenleaf Trail to Greenleaf hut. Spend night here in hut.

Day 3, hike along Old Bridle Path down to road. You will be just opposite Lafayette Place Campground. Walk through tunnel under highway to the capground and your car. NO shuttling is needed for this three day trip.

You would need reservation at Greenleaf Hut and expect to pay 80-90 dollars for the night. It is worth it.

All of this trip except for the descent from Mt Lafayette will be on the AT.

Another alternative is to stay at Pinkham Notch Camp (where you have all you can eat food, comfy bunk and a visitor center and can buy equipment that you may have forgotten, or lost and then do some solid day trips.

To wit: From AMC Pinkham Notch: hike up Boot Spur Trail to summit of Mt Washington and down Nelson Crage Trail back to AMC Pinkham Notch Camp. Next day just hike something small like Lowes Bald Spot (just a couple hours) and then head out. This last alternative does not involve backpacking. But you still need to be prepared for drastic weather changes. It can get Damn cold on MT Washington even in MID AUGUST. Think sub freezing wind chills and penetrating dampness. It can also be hot and sunny. you never know.

Hope this all helps.

David

PS water is available for free at every hut, and of course at Pinkham Notch. Transportation wise you are pretty much on your own unless you can pre arrange a shuttle. But in the whites you can do awesome day hikes from Pinkham.

Pokey2006
04-16-2009, 18:57
It's easy to get a shuttle from the AMC, even at the last minute. That shouldn't be a problem at all.

Shutterbug
04-16-2009, 20:26
If you're going to do Mt. Washington, I'd start at Pinkham's Notch, heading up the Tuckerman Ravine Trail to the Hermit Lake campsite. Day 2, head up to the summit of Mt. Washington. See how you feel at that point. You have numerous options from there, either continuing on the AT northbound, if you have time to get to one of the RMC campsites, or heading down another trail back to Pinkham's Notch and calling it a day.

Don't try to plan too aggressive of an itinerary, as you may be surprised by the steepness of some of the trails. If you can, plan something that allows for you to shorten or lengthen the hike, depending on how you feel.

The Tuckerman Ravine Trail will still be under snow at the end of June. Usually the snow melts before Labor Day.

Pokey2006
04-16-2009, 21:12
The Tuckerman Ravine Trail will still be under snow at the end of June. Usually the snow melts before Labor Day.

Last year, there was probably snow in the ravine in June. This year, he should be safe. You can always check www.viewsfromthetop.com (http://www.viewsfromthetop.com) to get the latest trail conditions.

Rambler
04-17-2009, 23:18
A three day loop hike in the Pemigawasset Wilderness takes you over the Franconia Ridge (an amazing section of the AT) and then over the Bonds back to the trailhead at Lincoln Woods of the Kangamagus Highway near Lincoln, NH.

This hike passes two Huts (Greenlief and Galehead) or three designated tent sites with platforms and a shelter (Guyot).

This route gives you options along it to shorten the hike if weather turns.

Day One is about 4.1 (Osseo Trail over Mt. Flume to a tentsite on the AT at the southern start of Franconia Ridge. (Liberty Springs)

Day two 10 miles (I am doing this without maps in front of me) should get you to Guyot tentsite and shelter. The trail drops down between Lafayette and Mt. Garfield, then climbs steeply for .8 after Galehead Hut. So, do not under estimate the 10 miles!
There is a tentsite and shelter just beyond Mt. Garfield and before the junction that would take you down into the valley (Franconia Brook Trail) and passed the 13 Falls campsite which is beautiful, too, of course.
Day 3 over the Bonds back to Lincoln Woods.

The trip can be shortened by not going over the Bonds, but dipping back down into the valley between the Bonds and Franconia Ridge as mentioned above or before that toward the Lafayette Campground. Beyond Lafayette the Skookumchuck Trail gets you quickly down into the woods off the exposed ridge.

Stay tuned, I can get more exact mileage when I have maps.

Here is a website with suggested hikes:
http://hikethewhites.com

Funkmeister
04-18-2009, 01:21
Rambler's onto something, but I might suggest a twist. My take:

You'll be whipped arriving after 18 hours in car. Park car at Lincoln Woods Visitor Center on the Kancamagus Highway (R 112, east of Lincoln NH). From there, walk along Lincoln Woods TRail and Franconia Brook Trail. It's quite flat and wide, so if you're late arriving, you can easily do this in the dark. Nite 1: 13 Falls Campsite. From there, hike up to Galehead Hut for a late morning snack and decide which way to go: either west to the Garfield Ridge Campsite, or east to Guyot Shelter. Both great, and one isn't necessarily better than the other. Then Day 3 return to car. If Night 2 is Garfield campsite, then Day 3 is across the Garfield/ Lafayette/Lincoln/Liberty traverse, which some consider to be the crown jewel of the AT in NH. If you chose the Guyot Campsite for Night 2, the Bond Cliffs via the Bondclif Trail is way-cool too, and probably less people, though not the AT, if that matters. You drop off the ridge and follow a river via the Wilderness Trail back to car. From one ridge you can see the other clearly (well, on clear days, that is).

Alternatively, if the weather is really bad, consider car camping at Lafayette Campground and doing day hikes. Without using the car, you can hike the Falling Waters Trail (and Shining Rock Cliff is worth the short detour) to the 'Ridge, head north on the AT, turning onto Old Bridal Path, stopping for water and snack at GReenleaf Hut and returning to car camp. On Day 2, consider some way up Mt Mooselake (sp?), which does reauire a car from Lafayette Campground. If you park and hike the AT south, you'll parallel a cool stream with lots of waterfalls. I am not aware of any loop trail that will get you back to any parking spot without retracing your steps, but the mountain is off the map I pulled out to answer your question.

Mt Washington is nice and all, but if you want solitude, this ain't the place.

The Wildcat Mountain range is nice, too, but a tiny bit more of a drive. It is just across the valley from the Presidential Range, and has (probably) a fifth of the hikers Mt Washington et al has. I do recall the Wildcat Shelter being a very flat and easy hike if you arrive very late and need to hike in the dark. The parking area is on R2, east of Gorham. I did that once, and then stealth camped above Carter Notch Hut, and next day traversed Wildcat. You could drop into Pinkham Notch heading south on the AT and hitch up R16 back to your car, meeting your criteria timewise.

If you'd like, PM me cause I'll be camping with friends in Lafayette Campground in June, probably Sun/Mon/Tues nite at a date to be determined.

peakbagger
04-18-2009, 08:39
One thing to keep in mind is that its about a 3 hour drive from the MASS NH border to the whites. If its during the week, you could use the Randolph Moutain Club Cabins for some nice hiking. Drive up to Randolph, park at Lowes Store and hike up to Gray Knob cabin via Lowes Path. Its first come first served but usually has openings during the week. Do note that it is at 4000 feet and can get cold at night. Depending upon the weather, Crag Camp is about 1/2 mile away, it has better views but is colder at night. Then in the morning head over to Jefferson and pick up the AT. If you are really motivated Washington is possible, but makes a long day from Grey Knob. Alternatively hike back from Jefferson via the AT (gulfside) then over to Adams and possibly Madison then head back to Gray knob for the night. Hike down any number of trails back to Lowes.

The cabins used to be $8 per night but it may have gone up.

Rambler
04-18-2009, 09:11
Here are more details:

From NJ to Lincoln Woods: Mass Pike to Exit 14 (rte.128 or 95 north) to 93 north to Lincoln, NH, then 2-3 miles east of Lincoln toward strat of Kanc. Highway

Day one: Wilderness Trail to Osseo Tr. to Mt. Flume to Liberty Springs Tentsite
about 5.9 miles 5+ hours (ambitious)

Day 2: Franconia Ridge to Lafayette Summit 3.8 (spur 1.1 down to Greenleaf Hut) easy spectacular ridge hike in good weather.
Continue from Lafayette to to Galehead Hut 6.6 miles (10.4 so far) to Guyot Campsite (shelter for 12) 3.5 miles first .8 steep. Total mileage 13.9

Day 3: Guyot to trailhead at your start 11 miles.

Alternative for Day 2 which is close to Funkmeister's suggestion, but in reverse.

From Lafayette to Garfield Ridge Shelter and tentsite about 4 miles, but go by the shelter cut-off continue .4 to the Franconia Brook Trail.
Hike down the Franconia Brook Trail 2.2 miles to the 13 Falls Campsite.

Day 3: From 13 Falls Campsite continue on the Franconia Brook Trail back to your car is about 8 miles, but the trail is almost flat through the valley.
It could take 4 hours.

So, as Funkmeister suggests Day one is an easy hike in to 13 Falls.

From 13 Falls you can hike up to the hut then onto Guyot etc. or hike up Franconia Brrok trail toward Garfield Ridge Trail over Lafayette to Liberty Springs tentsite. Then Day 3 out over Flume Osseo Trail and out.

13 Falls campsite to Garfield hut is 2.7 , but mostly up allow 2 hours or so.

Phew!
BTW To reach the Franconia Brook Trail you turn onto the Lincoln Brook Trail first and there are good camping spots along the Franconia Brook Trail all near water in the brook if you do not want to hike all the way to the 13 Falls.

Otosan
04-24-2009, 07:46
To all thanks for the info and suggestions. A little more info, my final destination (car camping) will be Rogers in Lancaster.

Peaks
04-24-2009, 18:10
Last year, there was probably snow in the ravine in June. This year, he should be safe. You can always check www.viewsfromthetop.com (http://www.viewsfromthetop.com) to get the latest trail conditions.

Tuckerman Ravine trail to Hermit Lake is the access for skiers and hikers going to ski the Ravine. this part of the trail is open all year. The section through the Ravine (from Lunch Rock to the Lip) is closed during melt-out, which is now until about July 1.

To reach the summit from Hermit Lake, follow the Lion Head Trail. It gets you above treeline and has great views down into the Ravine.