PDA

View Full Version : UnderArmour? Come ON guys!

Wise Old Owl
04-16-2009, 22:39
1. I will try very hard to not post in the womens area.
2. UA is overpriced polypro with silver nitrate garbage....!
3. Folks we wear stuff undergarments that are comfortable.
4. I need your help, please read on!

Here is the deal, EMS put a name on a Canadian product that was inexspensive and it WORKS! in winter it's 100 percent polypropelene. in other words, no cotton - at all.

They called it Bergalene, - yea it never caught on because it was an early introduction to Polypro and it works. Why you might ask Because fiber that is smaller than human hair, is going to prevent air from moving near the skin, hense water (sweat) can transport and heat is trapped. When it first came out it was $40 a shirt and within three years you could pick it up for $9 hense they dropped it, When you can work with the markups of UA with open weaves that arn't as good as they are not fuzzy. Well now you understand.

Here is the original weave-http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg275/MarkSwarbrick/weaveundone.jpg

Does anyone know where to find this product now?

skinewmexico
04-17-2009, 00:10
I don't know where to find that, but it shocks me that UA picked an existing product, put a giant price on it, and marketed it as a socially elite product for frustrated high school athletes. And it worked, because we're all label wh*res. Rant off.

Summit
04-17-2009, 06:39
I admit I was an early buyer and own a couple of UA Ts. My last polypro T that I bought came from REI, long sleeve and I think I paid around $15 for it on sale. My next ones will probably be Walmart's at $9 or so. But to answer your question, WOO, no I've never seen or heard of that product.l

Engine
04-17-2009, 06:48
I hike in a pair of UA shorts, but not the compression shorts just regular running shorts. I love them both for fit and the simple fact that they have normal side pockets which are hard to find in running shorts. I do use compression under-shorts sometimes and they work, it's not hype, but I buy those from WalMart for around $7.00, not $35.00 from UA.

JAK
04-17-2009, 07:14
If it's no wool, IT'S CRAP!
If it's no cheap, IT'S HYPE!

:D

Christus Cowboy
04-17-2009, 08:54
I admit I was an early buyer and own a couple of UA Ts. My last polypro T that I bought came from REI, long sleeve and I think I paid around $15 for it on sale. My next ones will probably be Walmart's at $9 or so. But to answer your question, WOO, no I've never seen or heard of that product.l

I have never heard of this product either but it sounds like it would be quite functional in the backcountry.... I have polypro long underwear that I use and have found them to be warm even when wet and durable as well.... Ironically, I got mine at a military surplus store for $10.00 for both the top and bottom. After extended hikes however, sometimes polyprop retains the musk smell even after it is has been washed. I have been able to minimize this by powdering it down with baking soda and letting it air out a couple of days prior to dropping it in the washer machine. I do agree that UA is overpriced especially when one considers the comparable alternatives that are out there.....

kanga
04-17-2009, 09:08
techwick?

(The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.)

Reid
04-17-2009, 09:11
Has anyone tried the walmart polys? I'd be curious to get one just for the fact that it's cheaper.

Christus Cowboy
04-17-2009, 09:34
Has anyone tried the walmart polys? I'd be curious to get one just for the fact that it's cheaper.

Reid.... I recently went on a 55 mile circuit loop in the Nantahala National Forest in the first week of April where Summit and I experienced everything from warmer temps to two days with snow.... On that trip I used the "Rocky" brand polys as a base layer that I purchased from Walmart and they worked just fine for me.

Two Tents
04-17-2009, 09:36
I have the Wally World Poly pro's they are fine for the price. ---Two Tents

modiyooch
04-17-2009, 09:41
I like my UA for backpacking and running; hot or cold. I look for discounts, but alot of times I do pay the price. And since my skin is very sensitive, and this product works for me; I'm not going to switch.

Manwich
04-17-2009, 09:48
I like my UA for backpacking and running; hot or cold. I look for discounts, but alot of times I do pay the price. And since my skin is very sensitive, and this product works for me; I'm not going to switch.

Same. HYOH. Even if some grump thinks you're a name-brand whore or a "frustrated high school athlete" (***??)

Donnie
04-17-2009, 09:53
After a quick Google search, it appears that it is no longer as cheap as you remember it to be. It seems as though they changed the name to "Techwick performance long underwear."

Check it out here:
http://www.ems.com/catalog/bergelene.jsp

ki0eh
04-17-2009, 10:07
I got a UA long sleeve wicking shirt about 1.5 years ago and LOVED it. So I said I'd like more like it.

So I got 2 more UA shirts and a Wal-Mart camo wicking shirt as well (the latter from my mother-in-law) for Xmas.

Both of the UA shirts were too tight and seemingly shrank in the wash. (Synthetic fiber? Shrank?? ***???) The Wal-Mart shirt didn't shrink and remains relatively comfortable, just not as good as the old UA.

I don't have the labels here at the 'puter to give more details, but I tried to find the original UA shirt that I liked and couldn't. I'd rather not wear Wal-Mart camo in all situations either.

Any thoughts for wicking long sleeve layer that's fit to wear visibly (fleece off when walking), but not clingy form fitting to every bulge, and not camo?

fiddlehead
04-17-2009, 10:15
They called it Bergalene, - yea it never caught on because it was an early introduction to Polypro and it works. Why you might ask Because fiber that is smaller than human hair, is going to prevent air from moving near the skin, hense water (sweat) can transport and heat is trapped. When it first came out it was $40 a shirt and within three years you could pick it up for $9 hense they dropped it, When you can work with the markups of UA with open weaves that arn't as good as they are not fuzzy. Well now you understand.

Does anyone know where to find this product now?

Wise Old Owl, I used to sell Bergalene tops. They were very good and i agree, if i could still get them, i would be selling them.

I have an online business selling long underwear and we used to keep up with all the new products. We cannot keep up anymore as they are getting too expensive and we stock everything we sell (meaning we buy it first)

I still sell what i think works: Polypropylene. And some other fabrics that change names every year but are basically two layer with some wool/poly blends.

We checked out Under Armour when it came out. It made me feel clammy and uncomfortable so we never went into it.

But, i agree, the Bergalene that we used to get from the same distributor that got it for EMS was some good stuff. And lighweight. (being in the business, i get to check them all out and it was my favorite)

But when the big decision makers (fabric guys in New York city usually) move on, we have to also as it costs millions of dollars to make fabric in a quantity that is profitable.

I still have a few of the tops and bottoms for my personal use but haven't seen it around in years now.

Perhaps you could luck out on ebay for some???

Gray Blazer
04-17-2009, 10:24
Same. HYOH. Even if some grump thinks you're a name-brand whore or a "frustrated high school athlete" (***??)

I get my brand-name stuff when it's on the sale rack. Am I still a ho?

4eyedbuzzard
04-17-2009, 10:37
I get my brand-name stuff when it's on the sale rack. Am I still a ho?

I'm guessin' that would make you a cheap ho. :banana :D ;)

Sorry. Couldn't resist. :o

skinewmexico
04-17-2009, 10:58
I'm not a grump or a ho. But UA is still 99% marketing, and 1% product. All hat, and no cows, as we say. Buy the same thing from North Face, and at least you get a lifetime warranty. I am old, so it's probably a generational thing.

hoz
04-17-2009, 11:04
Several years ago Wal Mart used to clearance their poly longjohns come spring. I once bought 5 tops and 3 bottoms for 2 bucks a piece. Still have a pair stashed back.

I haven't seen them on sale much lately. I think they ship them back to the warehouse for re distribution next winter.

hoz
04-17-2009, 11:05
Oh and UA? I balked the first time I saw the price.

Wags
04-17-2009, 11:18
under armour works very well for what it's marketed for. athletes. i don't consider myself an athlete b/c i hike

Feral Bill
04-17-2009, 11:39
There are tow different fibers (aka fibres)being discussed here.

Polypro(pylene)- The original wicking synthetic from the seventies, working but had some disadvatages, which, aside from stink, itchines, and low melting point, I do not recall.

Polyester- Polarfleece and all the numerous clones, virtually all the current products.

Are we comparing apples to apples?

Summit
04-17-2009, 12:26
Any thoughts for wicking long sleeve layer that's fit to wear visibly (fleece off when walking), but not clingy form fitting to every bulge, and not camo?I have two of these (green/gray) that I paid $15 apiece on sale:

http://www.rei.com/product/739227

They are great and of outstanding quality.

JAK
04-17-2009, 12:32
Several years ago Wal Mart used to clearance their poly longjohns come spring. I once bought 5 tops and 3 bottoms for 2 bucks a piece. Still have a pair stashed back.

I haven't seen them on sale much lately. I think they ship them back to the warehouse for re distribution next winter.I found some good stuff at Winners here a while back, which is a discount store like TJMax that gets some great stuff in now and then and rather cheap.

What I look for in skin layers is different weights, but always the right fit, not tight, just right, and a nice wide and hight waist band. The waist band is usually the first to go on skin layer bottoms I find. Otherwise skin layers seem to last forever. I picked up a set of silk top and bottoms at LLBean also, for $20 each, and they are great because I always want to try silk out. I don't find they are any warmer for their weight, but they are lighter and more packable, so useful when you just need a minimal skin layer for colder days. Mostly skin layers stay in my pack though as they are only for the colder days. I wear my middle loose layers on most days. Bottoms more than tops though, which is another reason to get a decent waist band. I have wool long johns for winter, which is great as a sort of in between layer for really cold days. They are fine as a skin layer but there is still room under them for another skin layer if really needed and by being combis they have no trouble staying up. Haven't tried icebreaker stuff yet. Waiting for it to show up cheap at winners after all the initial love affair wears off a bit. Great stuff though from what I've seen. I was looking at some $40 boxers at this shop in Fredericton. Maybe one pair as a Christmas gift, just to see how they hold up. If I could get away with just one pair and they help up to several washings then they would be worth $40. For top layers I just buy lighter merino sweaters for $20 and they eventually shrink down to a skin layer for under a loose light or medium sweater mid layer. Not using fleece tops so much anymore. Fleece bottoms. Wool sweaters. Fleece is still good as an extra layer over a wool sweater though, especially if it has a hood.

cravj1988
04-17-2009, 12:47
Polypropylene (olefin) is one of the cheapest melt spun fibers in the world. The resin is selling for less than a pound. You are getting ripped off unless you get it at an army surplusWal-Mart or target. The silver finish used to help with antimicrobial is for professional athletes who wear it for a few days then replace with a new garment. After a few wash cycles it is almost completely gone. The best thing you can do to remove the smell is to run the clothes through the rinse cycle using a whole bottle of hydrogen-peroxide and some salt. Then run the washer with detergent. After a few months on the trail, get a new t-shirt.

JAK
04-17-2009, 12:55
What I don't like mostly is the premise that base layers are the first thing to go on and are always needed. For myself skin layers as I call them stay in the pack until you get a colder than usual day. If your clothing needs to wick you are simply wearing one layer too many. The compression idea might be useful for leag chaff though, but I think underwear should be thin and absorbant, like cotton flannel or wool, for reasons of hygene. I set of cotton flannel underwear are not hard to keep dry, and are easy to keep hygenic. Your long skin layer or fleece layer of nothing can be worn while the single pair of cotton flannel boxers or boxer briefs are drying. I wear mine on my head to dry them. I will try wool boxer briefs someday to see just how much better they are.

I have no use for Under-Armour whatsoever. The concept the name invokes is simply rediculous.

stumpy
04-17-2009, 13:19
UA was developed by a football player from the University of Maryland. He was a punter and didn't like the feel of the cotton shirt that he wore under his pads(under armour). He would get sweaty and then stand around, and get sweaty and then stand around. He decided to make something that would help with the feeling of standing around in wet clothes. It really was not intended for outdoor type stuff. However, like most things in America, the exposure on TV (during football games) and marketing lead to where it is today. Their stuff ;)cost more, but is of better quality than the Wal-mart/knock offs. If I were serious athlete that used that type of thing often, I would probably go for the quality even with the higher price. Since I don't wear that stuff everyday, Wal-mart/Knock offs do just fine.

Hoop
04-17-2009, 13:39
I sweat a good bit and ditched the synthetics; for me they skank up way too fast Wool base, T shirt, johns & briefs really suppresses the aroma and is more comfortable, so it's worth the investment.

JAK
04-17-2009, 13:58
UA was developed by a football player from the University of Maryland. He was a punter and didn't like the feel of the cotton shirt that he wore under his pads(under armour). He would get sweaty and then stand around, and get sweaty and then stand around. He decided to make something that would help with the feeling of standing around in wet clothes. It really was not intended for outdoor type stuff. However, like most things in America, the exposure on TV (during football games) and marketing lead to where it is today. Their stuff ;)cost more, but is of better quality than the Wal-mart/knock offs. If I were serious athlete that used that type of thing often, I would probably go for the quality even with the higher price. Since I don't wear that stuff everyday, Wal-mart/Knock offs do just fine.I can see a special need for stuff under heavy gear like football gear, especially in a hot climate. That makes sense. You are right its crazy how stuff takes off and gets used for what it shouldn't. Sports drinks are another example. There was a need for the original Gatoraid, but its gotten way out of hand, and alot of their products and others have gotten quite perverse.

darkage
04-17-2009, 14:09
I have both walmarts shirts and a few UA including the 09 wylie ... relaxed fit ...

I've warn both backpacking and there is simply no comparing ... the UA shirts keep me dry and breath alot better .... overpriced, over hype ... whatever, it keeps me dry and comfortable so i'll continue to support the frustrated high school kid shirts with my money ... don't like it, don't use it.

JAK
04-17-2009, 14:14
I normally hike is a light loose sweater with nothing underneath, only adding a skin layer if it gets colder. I rarely have a problem with sweating or overheating. When I do sweat it just helps cool me down. It's not the end of the world in summer.

Here is a question I have for hotter climates where even thin loose wool might not work.

What is the best material worn primarily for sun protection in a hot climate and direct sunlight?

My guess would be something loose, rather than skin tight, but what material?

Spogatz
04-17-2009, 14:31
I got these LJ's from WalMart that were wool over polypro and they are the warmest things I have ever owned. It has to be really cold to use them though.

modiyooch
04-17-2009, 14:35
I basically like my UA for the hot summer days or anytime I'm going to be hot and sweat. Did I mention that i prefer hiking in the summer? I do use it for the winter, too; but I can find alternative cold weather compression shirts. The winter UA isn't as important to me as the summer UA.

Engine
04-17-2009, 15:08
under armour works very well for what it's marketed for. athletes. i don't consider myself an athlete b/c i hike

Half of the time at the trail ultramarathons I've been at people are walking...Don't discount the effort required to hump a pack up and down mountains at 2+ mph for hours on end. You are every bit an athlete...JUST DO IT! :D

Reid
04-18-2009, 09:18
Well I went out and bought some, I can already tell I'ts going to make me itch though. Cowboy what color are those poly's you got? The rocky's here are all camoflauge.

Toolshed
04-18-2009, 09:53
I was an EMS Brother of the apron back in the Early 90's. Yes we sold Bergelene, but it wasn't cheap. We sold it in 3 different weights - Expedition, Midweight and Lightweight.
It is extremely simliar to duofold which is still pretty cheap at Campmor. (I think Capilene was the next generation after polypro). Bergelene is now called Techwick and I think it has either 2-way or 4-way stretch.

UA has more spandex/Lycra and nylon, giving it a smoother hand and more luxurious/shiny finish and better compression - 4-way stretch/compression - Bergelene never had that.

Wise Old Owl
04-20-2009, 00:42

Yes - not bad, but hit or miss if it is there one week its gone after a month and never comes back, However - they introduced several "plaid" young mens shirts that are short sleave and excellent.

Kanga - Techwick is close, - I am not sure, I have to dig though the closet.

Wise Old Owl
04-20-2009, 00:47
Polypropylene (olefin) is one of the cheapest melt spun fibers in the world. The resin is selling for less than a pound. You are getting ripped off unless you get it at an army surplusWal-Mart or target. The silver finish used to help with antimicrobial is for professional athletes who wear it for a few days then replace with a new garment. After a few wash cycles it is almost completely gone. The best thing you can do to remove the smell is to run the clothes through the rinse cycle using a whole bottle of hydrogen-peroxide and some salt. Then run the washer with detergent. After a few months on the trail, get a new t-shirt.

Where did you find that gem? thats pretty close to hunters using peanut butter in the wash.

fiddlehead
04-20-2009, 05:43
Yes - not bad, but hit or miss if it is there one week its gone after a month and never comes back,

It's never hit or miss here, (http://www.adventurelite.com/product_info.php?products_id=176) same price for the last 6 years for the heavyweights, or here (http://www.adventurelite.com/product_info.php?products_id=176) for the lightweights. (100% polypro)

fiddlehead
04-20-2009, 05:50
Sorry, that's here (http://www.adventurelite.com/product_info.php?cPath=52&products_id=174) for the lightweights.

Cabin Fever
04-20-2009, 06:06
I'm guessin' that would make you a cheap ho. :banana :D ;)

Sorry. Couldn't resist. :o

I am a cheap ho too. Just because it is $25-35 for a pair of UA boxer jocks at REI or Dick's doesn't mean I buy them for that much. Say what you want about polypro and such, but I have never found Patagonia or North Face retail prices that were better than UA.

I have a pair of WalMart compression shorts and a several pairs of UA compression shorts. No comparison on quality. The UA ones are obviously better - better quality constructions, better fit.

It's so funny that people make comments about being brand-centric, but yet they rant about a brand they love in the same post.

HYOH.

Summit
04-20-2009, 06:38
I am a cheap ho too. Just because it is $25-35 for a pair of UA boxer jocks at REI or Dick's doesn't mean I buy them for that much.Yep, NPR (Never Pay Retail). Buy quality on sale. With google search on the web, it's not rocket science. :)

modiyooch
04-20-2009, 07:45
tj max....

ASUGrad
04-20-2009, 10:44
Rugged Wearhouse carries some UA knockoffs

Manwich
04-20-2009, 10:53
Rugged Wearhouse? Booo, they don't have many stores in many Blue States

jcramin
04-20-2009, 11:57

I use the Target Polys. Got them onsale for about 7 bucks a shirt. Ive never used UA but I know the Target Poly I use works great.

J

cravj1988
04-20-2009, 13:54
Quote:
Originally Posted by cravj1988 http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/wb_style/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=822990#post822990)

Where did you find that gem? thats pretty close to hunters using peanut butter in the wash.[/QUOTE]

I have a MS degree in polymer science. Basically the H2O2 is oxidizing the outer surface of the fiber, where most of the smell is trapped. Also, the fibers are trilobal, which helps transport moisture from your skin through the fabric. The problem is, salt in your sweat clogs the pores or channels of the trilobal filament and this blocks the wicking properties of the shirt. The H2O2 along with salt helps to get the filaments back to a more uniform trilobal shape thru oxidation and dissolving the salt from your sweat.

In my opinion, the best t-shirt for the money is the recycled PET shirts you can get at Wal-Mart. They are trilobal and will wick moisture just as good as the under armor. They are made from 100% recycled coke and pepsi bottles which have an intrinsic viscosity of about 0.8, which is almost pure food-grade polyester.

Mags
04-20-2009, 14:06
For three-season backpacking, I buy and use the cheapest generic polys I can find. :)

Wise Old Owl
05-15-2009, 10:10
Thanks Fiddlehead & Cravj1988!

mudhead
05-15-2009, 12:25
For three-season backpacking, I buy and use the cheapest generic polys I can find. :)

Scurvid dirtbag. Put down the $9 Chai, and buy your boys some comfy duds.

Phoenixdadeadhead
05-15-2009, 12:34
I have the army issue polartec shirts, and they are awesome. They even have thumb holes so when it is cold out you slide the sleeve over your hands and pop your thumb through. I buy mine at the thrift stores in Newport news, for 1 or 2 dollars a piece. They also have the poly shirts for about 2 dollars a piece or for the guys who prefer new you can buy either one for about 5 bucks online.

Mags
05-15-2009, 13:52
Scurvid dirtbag. Put down the $9 Chai, and buy your boys some comfy duds.

Coffee. Black.

Anything else, I might as well be drinking something for kids and stick a plastic, "fun" straw (http://www.toyconnection.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=TC&Product_Code=STRAW&qts=google&qtk=fun%20straws) in it. ;)

Wise Old Owl
05-31-2009, 09:43
Fun straws - hmmm Mags I forgot about those,

Walmart Polys are funny for several times now I have picked up Plaid Shirts that are supposed to be fun all day shirts, and you don't look like your hiking.

World-Wide
05-31-2009, 10:19
I have both walmarts shirts and a few UA including the 09 wylie ... relaxed fit ...

I've warn both backpacking and there is simply no comparing ... the UA shirts keep me dry and breath alot better .... overpriced, over hype ... whatever, it keeps me dry and comfortable so i'll continue to support the frustrated high school kid shirts with my money ... don't like it, don't use it.

Have to agree w/you Darkage! I have UA long/short-sleeve shirts, many shorts and some running pants. Several of the shirts I own are over 6 years old and I haven't had issues w/smell or wear-out problems. These days, UA shirts can be bought off the shelf for about $15. (is that too expensive? really?) :-?

take-a-knee
05-31-2009, 12:22
Visa Endurance blows Underarmor out of the water. It'll last five times as long. UA gets all those picks and pulls in the fabric so you look like a raggamuffin post haste, I guess to you go out and buy another overpriced shirt. The UA boxer briefs are the only thing in their line that is worth the price, IMO.

Wags
05-31-2009, 12:32
i agree w/ darkage as well. tj max has 30 UA shirts on any given day. the nikepro line is just as good. i don't get those picks and pulls you mention TaK. some people wonder why i buy calvin klein button downs for work. my answer is so i don't have to buy more for 5-10 years

never heard of this visa endurance stuff TaK. interested though

ps. the UA metal heatgear boxer jock is the bomb!

take-a-knee
05-31-2009, 14:28
i agree w/ darkage as well. tj max has 30 UA shirts on any given day. the nikepro line is just as good. i don't get those picks and pulls you mention TaK. some people wonder why i buy calvin klein button downs for work. my answer is so i don't have to buy more for 5-10 years

never heard of this visa endurance stuff TaK. interested though

ps. the UA metal heatgear boxer jock is the bomb!

I scored six of those tan visa endurance shirts from Sierra Trading about five years ago. They are still going strong, in much better shape than the UA shirts I've bought since.

hikingtime
05-31-2009, 14:57
I have found products similar to UA at Ross, Marshals and TJMaxx for a fraction of the cost. One was made by Nike, and I feel the quality was better than UA.

medicjimr
05-31-2009, 15:25
Wal Mart Starter Brand It works well at $10 I recently got 2 for $10 on clearence.

mudhead
05-31-2009, 16:29
Champion C9 at Target beats Starter brand for me. UA boxer brief beats C9 by @5X.

Spendy, but they really are special for the boys.

I got some on sale at a store closing. I will pay full $ when they die.

Now if you drink $9 chai, well, maybe you do need to dirtbag your drawers.

Plodderman
05-31-2009, 19:04
I buy an occasional UA but most of my stuff comes from Walmart. I hit an occasional clearance rack at Dicks and have purchased numerous types of shirts their.

Sometimes the WalMart stuff works okay but some of it snags alot and looks awful after few days. The tighter woven stuff they carry works well tho.

m6amba
05-31-2009, 20:32
i use the walmart "athletic works" brand, for shirts on short trips, and i use their compression shorts when i play paintball

but for hiking multiple days, UA compression shorts are the way to go, bass pro shops has them here for $19.99.....WELL WORTH it to me
they fit better, not as tight, have venting in the front for "the boyz" and the rear waistband doesnt ride down like the cheap ones do, im always pulling the cheap ones up, the UA ones stay where i put them
i love the compression cause i have chafing problems, and they completely eliminate it, for me anyway YMMV

also, i hike in no more than a tshirt unless its COLD out, i can sweat when its 40degrees, in a cotton tee, if im hiking, im just a heavy sweater....oh well

im thinking about grabbing those nike, or reebok shirts with the messh under the arms, and in the center of the back...anybody know what im talking about?
im just trying to stay as cool as possible, staying warm is NOT my problem!...lol

ShoelessWanderer
06-01-2009, 11:49
I have never heard of this product either but it sounds like it would be quite functional in the backcountry.... I have polypro long underwear that I use and have found them to be warm even when wet and durable as well.... Ironically, I got mine at a military surplus store for $10.00 for both the top and bottom. After extended hikes however, sometimes polyprop retains the musk smell even after it is has been washed. I have been able to minimize this by powdering it down with baking soda and letting it air out a couple of days prior to dropping it in the washer machine. I do agree that UA is overpriced especially when one considers the comparable alternatives that are out there.....

Try adding vinegar to the wash. It's amazing the odors it'll remove!

Dogwood
06-01-2009, 12:20
Wise Old Owl I'm happy to see that I'm not the only one who has experienced the benefits of Bergalene insulating underwear carried by Eastern Mountain Sports. I don't know if what I'm seeing is leftover Bergalene at EMS, but I still see Bergalene tops and bottoms available at EMS. Bergalene works just as well or better as insulating underwear or as outer shirts, without the hard to remove odors and higher costs, than Capilene carried by Patagonia. Bergalene doesn't get as stinky as fast as Patagonia's Capilene or Under Armor and when it does the odor is easily washed out. All the Bergalene underwear I've purchased at EMS has been less expensive than either Under Armor, which I also feel has been marketed well, but which is overpriced, or Patagonia's Capilene pieces I own. I don't use Under Armor at all anymore, as I feel both Patagonia's Capilene and EMS Bergalene does a much better job of insulating, breathing, and lasting longer. Some of the UA pieces I've seen being sold at big box sports wearhouses simply are not as well constructed as either the Capilene or Bergalene pieces I own. I've also been able to further reduce the costs of Bergalene pieces purchased at EMS by buying off season or during sales. I don't think I've paid more than $20 for any of my EMS Bergalene tops or bottoms. Bergalene works!

Dogwood
06-01-2009, 12:32
The silver finish used to help with antimicrobial is for professional athletes who wear it for a few days then replace with a new garment. After a few wash cycles it is almost completely gone. The best thing you can do to remove the smell is to run the clothes through the rinse cycle using a whole bottle of hydrogen-peroxide and some salt. Then run the washer with detergent. After a few months on the trail, get a new t-shirt.

Some good points. I do exactly this. Be careful with the hydrgen peroxide though. If you go this route to remove the stink add the hydrogen peroxide to a full washing machine of water, let it agitate for a bit, and then add your clothing or you may find your expensive hiking clothing resembling a throwback from the pschedelic 60's tie dyed era.