PDA

View Full Version : Protein powder/MRP on the trail?

grrickar
06-06-2004, 14:29
I was curious to know if anyone regularly uses protein powder on the trail. I workout regularly and I sometimes make a protein shake instead of a snack so I'm taking in less calories (I use the stuff sweetened with Splenda).

I know they do make those sweetened with sugar, and since it is a powder it seems that for the calories they offer they might not be a bad idea. Mixing most of the chocolate flavored mixes with water tastes like a bland hot chocolate.

You can get 5lbs of the stuff in different flavors off the internet or at a GNC/health food store pretty cheap. 5lbs of the stuff could then be divided and picked up as you go. I usually pick up 5lbs of Prolab chocolate flavor for about $36-$40. EAS is more expensive, but their Myoplex MRP tastes better I hear.

Some lifters take them to gain weight (I have no problem gaining on my own, thanks! :) ). They have a good dose of protein and vitamins also. Might may a good breakfast to start the day. The fully sweetened versions are likely more tasty than the low carb versions.

The tastes of the flavors vary but I'm weird when it comes to that. Protein bars for the most part taste good to me, along with Powerbars and Clif Bars. My friends never trust me when I tell them anything tastes good. I guess I just have weird tastes.

MedicineMan
06-06-2004, 21:47
You know some people eat to live and others live to eat. I'm in the eat to live group and for much time have kept a 5lb bucket of whey protein around to supplement meals devoid of protein.
The benefits of whey for hikers/backpackers are obvious-lightweight, reconstitutable and affordable.
Here are work we use various forms of proteins in disease management ranging from cancer to physical rehab. Here is a synopsis of an interesting study comparing whey proteins and casein proteins:

A. CASEIN
1. SUMMARY: Weight and strength parameters were better met by subjects taking a casein protein hydrolysate than by those taking a whey-protein hydrolysate.
a. Improved nitrogen retention and overall anticatabolic effects from peptides of casein hydrolysate are thought to account for improvements in body composition in an analysis of diet and resistance training in overweight police officers. In this randomized, 12-week study, subjects in one group (n=10) received a nonlipogenic, hypocaloric diet meeting 80% of predicted needs. In two other groups, subjects received the hypocaloric diet, resistance exercise, and a high-protein supplement (1.5 gram/kilogram/day) of casein-protein hydrolysate (n=14) or whey-protein hydrolysate (n=14). Although weight loss was approximately equal among groups (2.5 kilograms), the high-protein groups differed from the diet-only group, and often between themselves, as to changes in body composition. By 12 weeks, lean- mass gains were doubled and fat loss increased by 50% in the casein-protein group over the whey-protein group. Mean increases in strength for chest, shoulder, and legs were 59% for casein and 29% for whey (p value not provided) (Demling & DeSanti, 2000).

Pencil Pusher
06-07-2004, 04:06
For this one climb, I just bought this container of weight watchers soy-protein shake mix. I'm not too particular on taste, I'd just make one each morning to dutifully chug down while still eating everything else I wanted to. There is some light brown flaky substance, dehydrated/dry in the dry goods bins at the store, that has a high protein content. Maybe it's that whey protein referenced. It's glop, but protein glop, so I cooked and dutifully ate. They also had what looked like black beans ground up and that stuff was good tasting. Both lightweight. The soy shake I didn't much care for in comparison, other than it was quicker to chug than eating cooked glop.

Tree Nerd
12-16-2012, 15:32
I know this is a dead thread, but im interested to see what people have to say. I have been thinking about bringing some along but not sure if I should.

Dogwood
12-16-2012, 16:41
Whew, 2004. I'll sometimes include nutitional bars with whey protein isolate(WPI) or add a little WPI into my trailfoods but I would much rather get my protein needs from unprocessed unmanufactured whole foods. I''ll meet my protein needs, which for me is about 12-20 % of my total daily trail cals, from a wide selection of amino acid sources such as hemp seed, chia, others seeds(sunflower, pumpkin,etc), nuts, beans, quinoa, sardines in EVOO, tuna in EVOO, etc.

Wise Old Owl
12-16-2012, 17:13
I have tried some of the products - never got used to it - issues with water or milk depending on the product, some really need to be shaken - the bars are bricks in the cold... It's OK - just supplement with a real meal each day.

trapper
12-24-2012, 08:20
half of my meals are protein shakes to control weight. i take protein powder skim milk and mix in two packs of apple and cinnamon oatmeal let it set for 10 min and you have a cheap quick meal...i know sounds gross but is actually delicious

JAK
12-24-2012, 08:52
Protein should not be a concern on the trail, if you eat real food. The greater concern should be vitamins and minerals, primarily iron, calcium, vitamin A, and vitamin C. If you get those right, with real food, you will most certainly get enough protein. Even if you eat 3600 calories a day, and 1/3 of that is pure sugar and vergetable oil, if the other 1200 calories is nothing but oatmeal, it will provide 80g of complete protein. Pretty extreme example but there you go. Lentil soup with herbs at night, and oatmeal in the morning with whatever, and some skim milk for spiced tea, and you will get enough protien and some vitamins and minerals besides. Herbs like parsley great source of vitamins and minerals, and holds in own in protien in calories also, gram for gram.

JAK
12-24-2012, 08:57
Sorry, meant to say other 2400 nothing but oatmeal, not that I would recommend that. I do at most 800 calories a day in oatmeal, and about 800 in lentil and dried vegetable and herb soup, and 400 in skim milk. That gets me my protein and vitamins and minerals. Whatever I throw in from there can be empty calories or added variety, like jerky, nuts and seeds, and currants, raisins, dates, honey, that sort of think. When not losing weight I can add more nuts and seeds and dried fruit and honey, and the basic staples remain more or less the same.

Malto
12-24-2012, 09:24
I don't think a high protein diet is ideal for hiking. You body burn carbs and a high carb diet will give you body what it needs. Some protein is good especially late in the day for recovery. Protein can also provide a few percent of the the total energy needs but it is carbs and fat that provide the bulk of the energy.

I just completed a week long high mile hike from on the AT in TN. I tested a new concept that proved to be very successful. My diet maxed out on carbs with a bit of protein thrown in. It worked out exactly as expected. I maintained energy all day even with 30+ mile days and 8000 feet of elevation gain. But the cool thing is that I lost about six lbs of fat because I relied on my body providing energy through fat stores instead of carrying them on my back. I believe this is a great strategy for up to about two weeks. It is not a good idea for a thru hike if that is the goal. Here you need to balance out overall calorie calorie consumption vs expenditure over the long term and a higher fat diet is a more weight efficient way of accomplishing that goal.

MuddyWaters
12-24-2012, 09:34
Youd have to carry something to mix in. My experience is they are pretty nasty in water and dont mix well, good in cold milk.
Youd have to take the time to mix it, and then clean out the mixer or it will stink after a day or two.

Id personally rather have solid food. Little Debbie oatmeal pies even, that a MRP shake in the woods.
You wont be working out on the trail. You will lose upper body strength. Thats all there is to it.
Protein shakes arent going to help that .

q-tip
12-25-2012, 00:31
I use this when I can't get TVP for protien...best alternative for me....and easy to get......

TheYoungOne
12-27-2012, 15:49
While not as hard core as bodybuilders Whey protein mixes, I have been using Carnation instant breakfast powder and Morning Moo's powdered milk alternative.

Morning Moo's is a powdered milk mixed with powdered sweet whey, so it actually taste more like real milk when mixed with water than actually powdered milk. Its big with survivalist and morons/LDS because it has a 25 year shelf life and kids will actually. Anyway I fell into it by accident because occasionally Walmart sells it, and I bought some to mix with cereal during a hike.

Usually I do a milk and instant breakfast drink in the morning and at night while hiking. Instant breakfast with milk adds over 200 calories, 7 grams of protein, and a decent amount of vitamins to my breakfast and dinner. It also make breakfast for me quick and cookless, because I can chug an instant breakfast and eat a pop-tart. Both powders are also helpful for adding some flavor to oatmeal, cream to your coffee and hot instant breakfast with Moo milk is a little more healthy than sugary swiss miss cocco with hot water.

http://www.augasonfarms.com/image/pdf/31006%20ED%20Morning%20Moos_NUT.pdf

http://www.carnationbreakfastessentials.com/Products/Powder/Rich-Milk-Chocolate/Nutrition.aspx

Deadeye
12-27-2012, 21:32
My usual breakfast is meusli (raw oat cereal with, raisins, dates, nuts) or granola, and a shake made with Carnation instant breakfast and a scoop of protein powder. The powders are an easy, cheap, no-cook way to add some protein to the hiking diet, and starting the day with all that liquid helps keep me hydrated. I shake the bejeesus out of it in a screw-top container.

Papa D
12-27-2012, 21:44
Spiruteen Protein Shake mixed with powdered milk - pretty much a staple

SCRUB HIKER
12-27-2012, 22:11
Look for the Whiteblaze user leaftye ... I've seen him repeatedly mention his homemade protein shakes for the trail. He seems like a serious protein powder enthusiast, among other things.