PDA

View Full Version : Day Hike Near Donner Pass or Castle Pass

kolokolo
04-17-2009, 11:42
I am going to be traveling along I-80 to San Francisco in a few weeks, and am planning to take about 1/2 day to hike on the PCT. I know that there is access to the trail from a rest stop off the highway. It looks like if I go south I will be in the Donner Pass area, which I have been to before and know has gorgeous scenery. If I hike north, I will go toward Castle Pass. I am not at all familiar with that area.

For those familiar wiith this area, which direction would you go? Or would you hike somewhere else? I only have a half day, as I need to be in San Francisco that night.

Thanks.

fiddlehead
04-17-2009, 12:54
I would go north.
I remember a lot of great rocks and then a small cabin that we stayed in.
Don't have my guidebooks with me for data but remember it was a great day.

Yeah, the trail goes right thru a rest stop along the interstate from what i remember.

Ladytrekker
04-17-2009, 13:08
Boy, I wish I knew. I drove thru Donner from Reno to San Fran. that is one beautiful area, I never thought about hiking it, but I am going to follow this thread hoping that I will be in the area again and will know where to go.

kolokolo
04-19-2009, 19:23
As I understand it, there is an exit about 10 miles west of Truckee that has a parking area and access to the trail. There is a tunnel under the interstate.

I wish I had time for more than a day hike, but I'll take what I can get. I'm really looking forward to it.