PDA

View Full Version : Battling Residual Hiker Stench

ThoughtFoot
04-17-2009, 13:17
So I completed a thru-hike of the AT GA-ME 2007. My one-year-aversary of starting out was this past week, and I wanted to get my tried and true gear out for a jaunt. But all of it still REEKS! The sleeping bag, my tent, my pack, everything. I've tried leaving it in the sun and weather (day 6, still stinky), washing it (been through 3 washes a piece), febreeze just makes it smell like febreeze for a few days. Any suggestions on how to beat the hiker stink out of well worn gear?

ThoughtFoot
04-17-2009, 13:20
and by 2007 I clearly meant 2008.

Two Tents
04-17-2009, 13:24
I do not know. I never thought much about it. After you fabreeze it then go on the trail in a few days you will stink too and not really notice it. I guess hitting the trail is the only sensible thing to do.---Happy trails --- Two Tents.

JAK
04-17-2009, 13:28
Natural materials have a natural stench. Un-natural materials have an un-natural stench.
If really bad I would try burying it in the garden for a few weeks or months. Maybe plant some tomatoes in it.

Two Tents
04-17-2009, 13:32
Jak, I must say you think deep thoughts sometimes.---Two Tents.

Two Tents
04-17-2009, 13:39
All I can think of is maybe someone who hunts has an idea. I know hunting clothes gets funky.--- Two Tents.

Lyle
04-17-2009, 13:45
Just go out hiking again. Second or third day, and your old gear will smell just like home again. Guaranteed.

Skyline
04-17-2009, 14:16
Natural materials have a natural stench. Un-natural materials have an un-natural stench.
If really bad I would try burying it in the garden for a few weeks or months. Maybe plant some tomatoes in it.

Not sure if you were being serious, but burying gear for awhile can get rid of odors.

A friend's pack had been skunked at a shelter during a weekend hike, and he tried everything he knew of to get rid of the skunk stench. Nothing worked.

Then Rusty, of Hard Time Hollow in VA, told him to bury it in a shallow grave for a couple weeks. He did, and when he dug it up no more skunk stench. He had to wash the dirt out, of course.

When an old mountain man talks, it pays to listen.

Jeremy from FL AKA?
04-17-2009, 14:22
This worked well for me after my Florida trail hike. You sweat all day, and sometimes at night, and your gear gets very...VERY stinky, and moldy. What I did was set up buckets with a large amount of concentrated soap/detergent perhaps 1 qt or more per 5 gallon bucket, and just let them soak for 5 dayS to a week. Then I washed them, and dryed in the sun. This worked for me, I hope it does for you.

Jeremy from FLA

Jeremy from FL AKA?
04-17-2009, 14:30
I did this to my tent, sleeping bag, cloths, socks, back, stuff sacks etc.........obviously.

skinewmexico
04-17-2009, 17:13
Wash it in Vinegar.

bullseye
04-17-2009, 17:29
You might want to try this (http://www.mcnett.com/MiraZyme-Enzyme-Based-Odor-Eliminator-P170.aspx). Check out the testimonial tab-it sounds like it might be just the thing you need.

Gaiter
04-17-2009, 18:55
may your celebration should include a trip to the dumpster and to an outfitter:D

Panzer1
04-17-2009, 19:11
Its ruined. Buy some new gear.

Panzer

BigCat
04-17-2009, 19:24
Wash it in Vinegar.

works quite well

Snowleopard
04-17-2009, 19:47
If it's mold or mildew, you've got a problem. Did you store the stuff damp? Detergent plus chlorine bleach might kill mold and mildew, but might damage some gear. Test what you do on the gear you like least.
--Walter

Rain Man
04-17-2009, 21:46
This topic gets discussed periodically.

Another thread with links to other threads. (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=48192&highlight=enzyme)

Rain:sunMan

SunnyWalker
04-17-2009, 22:16
Thoughtfoot: is the pack a external or internal???!?!?!?? Thanks.

Sky.King
04-18-2009, 01:10
I've always heard that baking powder is good for removing odors from the fridge, so maybe you could sprinkle a fair amount of the stuff on it, let it sit for 30-mins or so, and then vacumn it off. Then turn your bag inside out and do it all over again.

Baking powder is really cheap stuff, so why not give it a shot. If it works, I'm sure everybody would appreciate knowing about it.

Toolshed
04-18-2009, 09:26
**Warning ..... long answer*****
So I picked this tip up from a chemical engineer on another climbing forum a few years ago. Seemed cheap and easy so I decided to give it a try. It has worked phenomenally well.

I generally always wear REI or other outdoor branded synthetic underwear - Daily. polypro tops, bottoms whatever.

Over time, though especially if I have worn them continuously on trips, the bacteria smells build up and multiple washings cannot get rid of the odor which magically appears once the material has warmed up on your body.
The thought process is this - You need enzymes to get rid of the odors and almost all detergents, well all but removed enzymes due to pollution factors in the 70s (Suds in waterflows- anyone remember?).
So the Detergent that still has enzymes is "Biz" I was skeptical after I read the tip, but finally some some at a supermarket one day and picked up a box (Many stores do not carry it).
I followed the recommendations from the other thread and filled a bucket with hot water and a scoop of biz and let it dissolve and then stuffed it with polypro and let it sit all weekend.
after the weekend, I drained the bucket and the water was black (Most of my polypro is black, though) I then ran my clothes through a regular wash cycle with regular tide detergent.
I wore the underwear the next day and Voila!!! no odors. In fact, I took the rest of my polypro and followed the same process the next few days as I really wanted to test all my underwear out and was concerned I would confuse which underwear I put through the process.
No odors. none - even after multiple days wear - It was like they were new again. I did find out that after a couple of months, I would have to put everything through the process again, but I don't mind, since Biz is cheap and it saves the cost of replacing synth underwear and biker shorts. I have followed this process for about 3 years now, I now also add a half scoop of Borax to the bucket of dissolved Biz - I don;t know if it helps, but it seems OK.

Two Tents
04-18-2009, 09:31
Sweet! I will try it! Thanks Toolshed! ---Two Tents.

Reid
04-18-2009, 09:49
My mother is a soap maker. She would say wash it in vinegar. We have plent of soap if anyone is intrested in our recipies for removing hiker stenches, eco-freindly (no phosphates, just olive oil and soaponified non costic lye) soaps, burt's bees recipies, mint bug repellants. We have many more types and specific use soaps like my favorite pine tar for dry skin but you get the picture. All these soaps you can wash your hair and clothes with but takes more to get a lather. As for your question though I use half ground oatmeal soap/goat's milk oil soap and some vinegar and it doesn't really create a smell, it just comletley eliminates the ones you don't want.

Ladytrekker
04-18-2009, 10:22
My family is comprised on commecial fisherman, we have found that the laundry detergent with baking soda is the only one that will take the nasty smell out of their clothing. Another good sanitizer is anything with a citrus base, it will help with odors better.

Other than that just fresh air and time.

YeOldeBackpacker
04-18-2009, 11:00
Get some Mirazyme, its made by McNett, works well just follow insturctions on bottle, it's not expensive $4.50 or so for a 2 oz bottle which will make 80 gallons.
Fill your bathtub with warm water, cold also will work by the way, add 1/2oz for every 20 gallons of water, (for skunk spray etc you can mix it 1oz to a gallon to use as a spray 1/2 oz in a qt spray bottle) soak all gear for 5 min. DO NOT RINSE or MACHINE DRY (thant's the key folks) hang outside to air dry.
Smell is gone.
What we do is get a plastic 55 gallon drum, dump 1 bottle in and just dunk our gear in it, hang it out on clothes line and it works fine. We use it for all of our Kayaking gear shoes, dry bags,wet suits, etc.. as well as our Hiking gear backpacks,tents, sleeping bags, everything haven't come across anything it really didn't work on yet.
Just a suggestion.

kayak karl
04-18-2009, 11:04
works quite well
i third that. got the funk out of my hammock:)

Chaco Taco
04-18-2009, 11:24
Embrace it.
Thoughtfoot, I suggest oxy clean. Soak your sleeping bag in it for a couple of hours. You will never get it all out but this does reduce it. Also use extra dryer sheets inside the bag in a laundromat dryer! People will laugh but hang your bag in a closet, close the door and fumigate it with incense! In terms of clothing, (insert William Wallace Scottish accent) Burn It!

TrippinBTM
04-18-2009, 19:08
Embrace it.
In terms of clothing, (insert William Wallace Scottish accent) Burn It!

I agree to both. Funk just comes with hiking, once you're out a few days again, it's natural and right.

I did, however, throw out my '08 thru hiking clothes as soon as possible, considering them a hopless case of ickyness. And yes, that is the technical term for it.

And though I chuckled at the William Wallace bit, I'm not sure if burning it is a good idea, might make things worse. Kill some birds or trees with the fumes, or something.

And hey Thoughtfoot... hows it goin? Seen any good movies lately? In case you don't remember me, we shared a bus out of Millinocket, plus I saw you twice on the trail, in VA and the 100 miles.
-Moccasin

Kathfishes
04-18-2009, 22:17
You might give this a try. Works for removing "Skunk" from dogs and stinky shoes.

In a bucket:
for each bottle of prexoide..add 1 perxoide bottle of water, 2 tablespoons of baking soda,
1 tablespoon of Dawn Dishwashing soap.
wet throughly and allow to Soak in for minmun of 30 mins. rinse and allow dry.

This must be mixed fresh just before use. DO NOT STORE IN A CLOSED CONTAINER IT WILL EXPLODE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Another thing to try is :Nature's Miracle" Find it in you local Petco or other pet supply store.
It's an enzime that detroys urine, puke, and other odors in carpeting and bedding.. ight work on funky gear.

veteran
04-18-2009, 23:31
Sport -Wash works, you can find it at Wally-World in the camping dept.

http://www.atsko.com/products/laundry-care/sport-wash-residue-free-detergent.html

Chaco Taco
04-19-2009, 00:37
And though I chuckled at the William Wallace bit, I'm not sure if burning it is a good idea, might make things worse. Kill some birds or trees with the fumes, or something.

Just a joke:)

Tennessee Viking
04-19-2009, 01:26
Try the good ole fridge trick. Baking Soda.

TrippinBTM
04-19-2009, 11:41
Just a joke:)
I know it man, me too :sun

yaduck9
04-19-2009, 13:56
You might give this a try. Works for removing "Skunk" from dogs and stinky shoes.

In a bucket:
for each bottle of prexoide..add 1 perxoide bottle of water, 2 tablespoons of baking soda,
1 tablespoon of Dawn Dishwashing soap.
wet throughly and allow to Soak in for minmun of 30 mins. rinse and allow dry.

This must be mixed fresh just before use. DO NOT STORE IN A CLOSED CONTAINER IT WILL EXPLODE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Another thing to try is :Nature's Miracle" Find it in you local Petco or other pet supply store.
It's an enzime that detroys urine, puke, and other odors in carpeting and bedding.. ight work on funky gear.

Peroxide, yes. I will have to try that.