PDA

View Full Version : When is the GA section of the trail not crowded?

Ridgeline
04-17-2009, 13:59
I want to get a taste of the AT and am looking to do a 2 or 3 night solo trip sometime this year....other than the dead of winter, when is the GA section the least crowded(preferably with tolerable temperature).....I'm just not the "stay in the shelters with 20 strangers" kind of guy....I've done overnight hikes before(never on the AT) and I just kind of like to stay to myself...I like to hike to get away from people and the stresses of life...you know, kind of a "recharging the batteries" thing....also, any suggestions for entry and exit points for a good 2 or 3 day hike would be appreciated(figuring an average of around 10 miles per day)

buff_jeff
04-17-2009, 14:00
Honestly, mid May was perfect for me. It wasn't crowded by any means and the weather was perfect.

cravj1988
04-17-2009, 14:57
Most of the NOBO thru hikers have already started and are probably between fontana and damascas, so you would not be around a bunch of thru hikers. However, the AT is only about an hour drive from downtown Atlanta, and is very popular on the weekends. Try and get out during the week to avoid the crowds.

man2th
04-17-2009, 16:03
i agree... go during the week, a cool out is to cut over to brasstown bald and have your ride meet you at the visitors center. have fun

FatMan
04-17-2009, 16:39
Late September mid week. You will have the trail to yourself and the weather will be perfect.

cowboy nichols
04-17-2009, 20:34
I tented away from shelters and rarely saw anyone except when they passed me.

jesse
04-17-2009, 21:06
Do the Benton McKaye trail or the Coosa Backcountry trail. Very quiet. Also the Cohutta Wilderness. You can do those on weekends and not see many people.

rainmakerat92
04-18-2009, 00:48
Mid-week is good, also I recommend the northern part of the Georgia AT; the further from Atlanta you are, most likely the less people you'll see. Dick's Creek Gap to Bly Gap would be my choice. And (in my opinion) it is the wildest and most scenic part of the trail in Georgia.

Ridgeline
04-18-2009, 14:13
I appreciate your help.

C2
04-18-2009, 16:02
Some long weekend (Fri, Sat, 1/2 Sun) hikes I've done include:

Hogpen gap to Dicks Creek gap
Dicks Creek gap to Timber Ridge Trail (NC)
Wayah Bald (NC) to Timber Ridge Trail (NC)

I've gone in August - didn't see many people but it was hot. October and November have been good times for me - pleasant days and cool/cold nights.