PDA

View Full Version : Making your own wood stove

WalkingStick75
04-17-2009, 15:08
I have seen several comments recently about wood stoves so I decided today to try my hand at it. I made two stoves. My first one was made out of a can of peaches. Using a can opener I punched holes in the top and bottom of the can. Using some hardware cloth (heavy wire screen) I made a grate placing it about an inch off the bottom for air circulation. Cutting two 4" sections from a old antenna I inserted them through a couple holes on top to hold my pot which in this case is a 16 oz can of your favorite beverage.

Fire test: Work good but not much room for fire and it took about 15 minutes to boil 16 oz.

Deciding my model was a bit small I made my second one out of a Progresso Soup can, it is a little bit wider. This time I drilled holes in the top and bottom, hardware cloth and the same antenna pot holders on the top.

Fire test: The slightly large model worked much better. Boiled 16 oz of water in about 10 minutes (that is from the time I lit the fire). Wanting to see how I could boil more water I tried an Arizona Ice Tea can that holds 23 oz but after 25 minutes it was hot but not boiling.

So Progresso soup can gave me a better fire and the smaller 16 oz is a better pot. I generally hike solo and 16 oz will always make my dinners only having to heat more for coffee.

I have not weighed my stove/pot yet, I will have to update later.

Not sure if I am going to use this on my next trip yet but it was fun to play with the fire :)

WalkingStick75
04-20-2009, 15:44
Wow? 107 looks and not one comment?

russb
04-20-2009, 15:51
looks good. perhaps try a can from tomatoes? it will be larger still.

WalkingStick75
04-20-2009, 19:19
Thanks russb, now I feel better! One comment, life is good :)

This thread should actually be in the homemade forum, my mistake. I looked for a way to move but I guess that takes a moderator.

Here is a thought, cut the bottom out of the can too. Saves another gram of weight and will keep the air flow better allowing the ash to drop down. I am assuming that this would be used in the fire pit anyways.

russb
04-20-2009, 21:17
If you want to talk more with people into stove making, come on over to bplite.com. There are some true stove artisans there and everyone is real friendly.