PDA

View Full Version : 10 x 12 tarp for a flying A?

Bootstrap
04-17-2009, 16:34
I like to do a flying A with my 10 x 10 tarp. With my 10 x 12 tarp, though, I haven't managed to get it terribly taught in a flying A.

Is this a limitation of the tarp or is there a trick to it?

TwoForty
04-17-2009, 19:31
What is the flying A?

TwoForty
04-17-2009, 19:33
Because if it's anything like the a-frame, you'll never get it taught unless it's a catenary cut tarp. It's like a telephone line, you'll just never get it tight with no sag. Gravity always wins.

JAK
04-17-2009, 19:59
I think the trick might be not to try and have the side corners exactly opposite one another.

JAK
04-17-2009, 20:07
Also, to have the end corners for the centre ridge much tighter than the side corners. Depending on the fabric, assuming you are then stretching it on its bias (diagonal), I think this causes it to stretch along the bias (diagonal) and perhaps this creates more of a problem with a 10x12 than a 10x10 or 12x12 because you aren't stretching it on a true 45 degree along the bias (diagonal).

It should be less of a problem with a sylnylon or waterproof treated nylon, as this reduces the bias stretch somwhat. A seam alone the center ridge would also help, and I think most of the benefit of catenary curves is just because you've eliminated the bias stretch.

JAK
04-17-2009, 20:10
Running a taught ridge line first, then laying the tarp over it and stretching it just a little along that line might be the simplest way without a diagonal seam. You might need drip lines.

Tinker
04-17-2009, 22:56
What is the flying A?
Probably the flying diamond.

Feral Bill
04-17-2009, 23:00
I use an 8x10 and generally put a lift line somewhere near the middle. Wrap a small rock in a suitable spot, put a line around and you are all set.

Bootstrap
04-17-2009, 23:02
Probably the flying diamond.

Yes, that's what I meant.

I already get in trouble when I tie the high end and the back corner, with the 10 x 10, it's nice and tight between the two opposite corners, it doesn't come out that way on the 10 x 12.

I'll try running a line first and putting the tarp over it. That sounds promising. My 10 x 12 is silnylon, my 10 x 10 is poly coated. I like the 10 x 12 better for everything except the flying diamond. But I really *like* the flying diamond .....

stranger
04-18-2009, 03:37
Tarps set up best, and most taught, when you are pulling along a seam. In a flying A, Diamond, etc... You are going corner to corner, so unless your tarp has a seam running corner to corner, which it most likely doesn't, you are going to get some sag.

One thing you can do to help is have someone sew a fake seam from corner to corner - it will improve the strength and taughtness of your tarp, but obviously require some additional seam sealing. Seams don't stretch that much either, so regardless of how taught you get your tarp, it's the main stress is not along a seam, it will sag, regardless of material, just a question of how much.

Also, keep in mind that different guy cords stretch more than others, especially when wet.