PDA

View Full Version : Towns and Facilities that let thru hikers camp free

freewheelinmilo
04-17-2009, 17:03
Howdy folks, I am lucky enough to be working on a project that could provide for some free tenting in Great Barrington, MA. The community is pretty psyched about thru-hikers and one facility in particular is thrilled to do what it can. If we can pull it off, members of the community have expressed interest in having potluck diners for the thru hikers, and generally trying to be supportive of these pilgrims and learn from them.

But having thru-hiked myself I get a little skeptical having seen some arrangements start excited and end sour shortly thereafter.

The facility has bathrooms and showers that it is glad to share, and a picnic pavilion outside. However, the facility is only open 7 to 7.

It is a busy place, and it would be important that thru-hikers be low-profile and extremely respectful.

First, can you think of similar places I could call to ask about how they do it, what we should look out for, what we should do to prepare and manage? I know when I hiked 10 years ago the ymca in Waynesboro had a kind of arrangement that I think is very close to what we are going to be going for. Do they still do that?

Secondly, I want to brainstorm a list of things we should consider/ do to make sure this is successful and not a nuisance. How to set a good standard and clear expectations. I remember from my experience that on the trail, respect gets respect. So how can we set a respectful tone for the thru-hikers so that they respond in turn? (aside from being Friars!) This really cant be a wake up in your underwear surrounded by cans of bush light kind of place, unfortunately. Tents and the camping area will likely be in public view. Any thing come to mind?

I have a staff to utilize, and could perhaps arrange a scenario where one of us stops by each evening to talk through the rules, but that would be a bit of a stretch. I am starting to think it may be necessary at least until the night desk guy gets comfortable with the scene.

Okay, anything you got I appreciate.

max patch
04-17-2009, 18:19
Hikers already had -- and lost -- the use of pavilions at the O’Lystery Community Pavilion in Ceres, Va. and the pavilion at Shea’s Pine Tree Tavern in Sheffield, Mass. Also, you used to be able to camp free behind the PO in Kent, CT (no pavilion) but that also was lost.

I'd find out what happened in those locations.

Engine
04-17-2009, 19:22
I wasn't going to post this, but based on the second post I think it might apply. While my thru hike won't happen for another 6 years yet, I have already committed myself to an honest 1 hour of work whenever I stay in a hostel or am allowed to camp in a yard, etc. I plan on asking the proprietor what they might need done and offering the help in addition to whatever meager fees they charge for the stay.

I know it won't undo the damage done by those who behave poorly, especially since the bad things tend to be remembered. But, it will be my way of returning some positive energy to those who have done much to improve my experience.

Maybe if enough of us leave a smile on the face of those who's paths we cross, the frowns left by some won't be so long lasting. My 2 cents...

ki0eh
04-17-2009, 20:46
There is the J. Woods Rich shelter in the Woolrich Park in Woolrich, PA, open to hikers on the Mid State aka Great Eastern Trail. It was erected by Woolrich, Inc. and is patrolled by Woolrich security. Article: http://blog.pennlive.com/wildaboutpa/2007/06/new_on_the_midstate_trail.html Pictures: http://www.getoutmore2009.com/photo-journal/album/72157605460780011/woolrich.html I don't know that it has yet received the kind of use to notice bad apples.

Two Tents
04-17-2009, 20:50
.. I think I will do the same if you do not mind. To offer to help in some small way will go along way. --Two Tents

Lone Wolf
04-17-2009, 21:01
hikers will screw it up in the long run. won't be long before The Place will shut it's doors

CrumbSnatcher
04-17-2009, 22:38
anybody ever stay at the town pavillion in bland VA.

ed bell
04-17-2009, 22:58
Looks like the center of town is around 3 miles from the AT. How close is the area the town is considering for free camping to the AT? Speaking as a local, what sort of good resupply options do you feel Great Barrington has to offer? If the town is worried about problems, alcohol access will be a central issue. Bars in town? Alcohol on sale close to the trail or campground?

ed bell
04-17-2009, 23:03
How about free camping in the junkyard to the south? Google Earth shows that and maybe a Horse Track to the North?:D

Bronk
04-18-2009, 01:16
Unless there are no convenient places to camp on the AT, I don't see why anyone would want to tent out in town unless they were there to party...I remember the YMCA campground in Waynesboro...it wasn't a total mess there but the small trash dumpster was bursting full of beer cans and bottles. It was the same at Partnership shelter, as well as the campground with the little store just outside of Pearisburg.

I'm not saying that there will always be a loud or disruptive party atmosphere there, but there will be occasionally if this is allowed.

I guess I would ask what the goals are of setting this up. Just my opinion, but its probably not a good idea to allow tenting...it might turn a hiker-neutral or pro-hiker town into an anti-hiker town.

If there are other compelling reasons to go forward with allowing tenting I would do two things: have a no alcohol rule and get in touch with local law enforcement and see if they'd be willing to help enforce that rule. I know Bob Peoples at Kincora has a strict no alcohol rule.

Personally, I'd stick to making shower facilities available and doing dinners, maybe a shuttle back to the trail after dinner...you'll avoid a lot of problems in the long run...if there's nobody there after 7pm you can bet that people will party there.

max patch
04-18-2009, 09:56
The Port Clinton pavilion has been available to hikers for years. What do they do that obviously works?

Jeff
04-18-2009, 10:55
The Port Clinton pavillion was almost closed down a year ago because a couple of rowdy hikers decided to use a neighbors pool nearby.

The only way to control the few bad apples is to have a full time "overseer"... sad but effective.

Jester2000
04-18-2009, 11:37
Hikers already had -- and lost -- the use of pavilions at the O’Lystery Community Pavilion in Ceres, Va. and the pavilion at Shea’s Pine Tree Tavern in Sheffield, Mass. Also, you used to be able to camp free behind the PO in Kent, CT (no pavilion) but that also was lost.

I'd find out what happened in those locations.

Good luck with that. None of these places were available as far back as 2000, and I think you'd be hard-pressed to track down the people who were in charge of these locations when they were available.

How about the positive route -- contacting the places that are currently available and have made it work? Pastor Karen at Church of the Mountain Hostel in Del Gap, the Church hostel in Vernon, borough manager in Palmerton (which was going to close a few years ago, but made some adjustments and remains open). Bob Peoples' hostel isn't free, but he'd be a likely source of good info. Ditto for Pat & Vicki at The Doyle.

From my own personal experience in dealing with hikers in Duncannon, I would recommend the following:

Clear expectation: Hikers need to know the rules in order to follow them. Explicit rules don't mean everyone will follow them (see various threads regarding The Place), but it does eliminate excuses, and was one of the issues Palmerton dealt with. Signs are nice; a person explaining the rules is better.

Oversight: There is one commonality in just about every place that has had problems -- little to no oversight. If there's no caretaker present, there has to at least be frequent visits by your staff, and I would recommend having a good working relationship with the police. Make sure they're aware of what you're up to. If they could include the site as part of their patrol schedule that would be ideal. If you want a zero-tolerance place, I would encourage them to arrest or cite anyone they see breaking the law, including open-container laws. This should be explained in the rules -- as in, if you drink on this property the police WILL arrest you. A couple of those early on, and word will get out.

Overall, though, making it clear to the hikers what the place is for and what it is not for, what it took to get the community behind it and what will happen to it if they screw it up, will eliminate many problems. But not all of them.

You do need to prepare the community for what's going on as well, so they have the proper expectations and are aware of potential problems, which I guarantee WILL HAPPEN. Talk to the neighbors adjacent to the site, make it clear who hikers are (in other words, not necessarily transients and bums, but people much like them), what your plans are, and the potential problems you forsee. Make sure they have your contact info, and that you or your staff will respond quickly to any of their concerns. Tell them you want to try it out for a hiking season and get their feedback. Make them partners in the project, instead of people that just live next to it.

I have fond memories of GB -- I was injured and was taken in and helped by a wonderful family there. I wish you well with your endeavor.

max patch
04-18-2009, 12:30
Good luck with that. None of these places were available as far back as 2000, and I think you'd be hard-pressed to track down the people who were in charge of these locations when they were available.

Someone in ALDHA would certainly know as the 2 closed pavilions I referenced were used as examples in the Endangered Services Campaign.

Rockhound
04-18-2009, 12:48
90 to 95% of the hikers will be respectful and appreciative. Of course 5 or 10% will not. you will need somebody there to watch over things and keep order. I wish you luck in your endeavor.

YeOldeBackpacker
04-18-2009, 13:47
The Pavilion in Port Clinton is open for use to all thru hikers, sectional hikers, paddlers on the Bartram trail the A.T. Schuylkill and Little Schuylkill rivers. Free of charge, Donations of course are greatly appricated.

The Church did change the rules last year because of more problems at the pavilion.

So saying that, this is now what must be done to stay at the pavilion:

1.) Hiker Feeds & Trail Magic. You need to contact the church and provide information as to what event you are planning as well as proof of insurance if so required for any organized activity on their private property

2.) No car camping, no vehicle supported hikers, no base camping. no extended stays longer than 24 hours. (You cannot park your vehicle across the street in the field and set up camp for the weekend or the week, you will be told to leave, or you will be cited for tresspassing its that simple.) You are allowed 1 night stay only and you must be hiking or using the river, If you are sick or injured you can get permission for extended stay at the pavilion from the pastor or caretaker.

3.) You must sign in at the pavilion to stay, the caretaker stops by 3 or 4 times a day if you refuse to sign in and show ID you can't stay.

4.) Any drugs or alochol are forbidden on the property you will be asked to leave or arrested if you refuse to leave.

5.) Dogs must be leashed, you must clean up after them.

6.) Be respectful of the neighbors, please be quite after 10pm do not use the neighbors lawn furniture as firewood, or the private pools to bathe in.

7.) DO NOT cut down live trees for fire wood, do not use the chairs, benches,tables at pavilion as firewood.

8.) Please use the bathrooms not the lawn areas at the pavilion.

9.) DO NOT leave any trail magic in the pavilion in the form of food or alochol.

sasquatch2014
04-19-2009, 11:34
Pawling NY allows hikers to stay over at Murrow Park. There is a picnic shelter at the top of the hill over looking the lake. This is where most stay but I think that they really wanted you to stay in the small shelter back in the woods a few hundred yards. They do have bathrooms available and a cold shower on the wall outside of the bathrooms. The times that I have picked up hikers from here or dropped them off there does not appear to be any type of oversight on the part of the town. This does not come as any big shock to me.

I don't think that this gets a ton of use. It is not on the direct path from the trail to town. You would have to head into town which is ways off the trail and when almost there make a detour and head over tot he pavilion which may be about 1 mile out of the way. The town does run another park which is right on the way into town and could easily have place for hikers to stay. It is easily 5 times the size of the one where they have them staying now. I was thinking about talking the town supervisors about this at some point. This park at one time was the old YMCA conference center. The town bought it and seems more content to allow it to fall into complete and utter disrepair than do anything about it other than pass the costs whatever they are on to the town tax payers.

The fact that Pawling sits right in the middle of the Deli Run area makes the need for resupply a bit less than it may be in other areas. I do know that a lot of hikers use the porch at Native Landscaping right on NY 22 by the AT stop for the train. If you get there before they close they have showers you can use as well and Pete the owner a past thru hiker lets you sleep on the porch. Down side is you hear the road noise all night.

Jester2000
04-21-2009, 09:00
Someone in ALDHA would certainly know as the 2 closed pavilions I referenced were used as examples in the Endangered Services Campaign.

Hmm. Well, YOU used them as examples and you certainly don't know whom to contact.

I suppose you could go through and contact the hundreds of people in the ALDHA Directory, assuming you were a member, and eventually find someone who knows, if that's what you mean by "someone." But I was on the Board, and I can say that they have no interest in keeping track of the whereabouts of people who used to be in charge of places that don't host hikers.

My original point remains: it's a much better use of one's time (and more effective) to contact people who are CURRENTLY in charge of places that DO welcome hikers.

CrumbSnatcher
04-21-2009, 09:20
Pawling NY allows hikers to stay over at Murrow Park. There is a picnic shelter at the top of the hill over looking the lake. This is where most stay but I think that they really wanted you to stay in the small shelter back in the woods a few hundred yards. They do have bathrooms available and a cold shower on the wall outside of the bathrooms. The times that I have picked up hikers from here or dropped them off there does not appear to be any type of oversight on the part of the town. This does not come as any big shock to me.

I don't think that this gets a ton of use. It is not on the direct path from the trail to town. You would have to head into town which is ways off the trail and when almost there make a detour and head over tot he pavilion which may be about 1 mile out of the way. The town does run another park which is right on the way into town and could easily have place for hikers to stay. It is easily 5 times the size of the one where they have them staying now. I was thinking about talking the town supervisors about this at some point. This park at one time was the old YMCA conference center. The town bought it and seems more content to allow it to fall into complete and utter disrepair than do anything about it other than pass the costs whatever they are on to the town tax payers.

The fact that Pawling sits right in the middle of the Deli Run area makes the need for resupply a bit less than it may be in other areas. I do know that a lot of hikers use the porch at Native Landscaping right on NY 22 by the AT stop for the train. If you get there before they close they have showers you can use as well and Pete the owner a past thru hiker lets you sleep on the porch. Down side is you hear the road noise all night.
i've stayed at the pavillion a couple times. it was funny as hell the last time,it was getting dark, hikers were having trouble reading and the look on their faces when i flipped on the lights. priceless...

freewheelinmilo
04-21-2009, 13:19
Thanks to everyone. This is exactly what I had hoped for. The rules at the Port Clinton Pavilion are particularly useful, so thank you YeOldBackpacker. Also very helpful was your insights into clear expectations and oversight Jester, also the need to communicate with neighbors.

I think I will aim to have a nightly staff presence, an introduction and talk. The rules for the Port Clinton Pavilion seem pretty spot on for what we are going for. The facility is within walking distance of the Brewery and Bowling Alley's 2$ PBR, so we are up against some formidable adversaries. I am skeptical that one 15 minute visit each evening is enough to combat the inevitable problems...

But I think ultimately you've got to trust people, and you've got to allow these locals to host the thru-hikers and not deny them their good will because of cynicism. I know there is hope that locals will interact with the Thru-hikers often through occasional dinners etc... I think that will be the key to success. Also if we could get the PD to just swing by and say hi that would also be great.

I'm glad to have lots to work with here, but please feel free to keep contributing to the discussion.

Thanks to all who posted so far.