PDA

View Full Version : Big Agnes

Speakeasy
04-17-2009, 19:51
Hi - I hate to be redundant but does anyone have any experience with Big Agnes Sleeping pads? I'm considering a Thermarest Prolite 4 but I'm looking for personal opinions. I did try doing a search of the gear talk thread but I did'nt come up with anything (I guess I did it wrong). Anyway, any input would be greatly appreciated...

Nrvana

bessiebreeze
04-17-2009, 21:17
I have a Big Agnes Air Core sleeping pad, and I love it. You absolutely do not feel the ground. It is not hard to blow up. I used to use two pads together - a thermarest and a Z rest. But the Big Agnes takes the place of both of them. I never plan on having a different sleeping pad.
There is one small drawback - they weigh more than the advertised weights. If you are counting the ounces (which I do) - this is a little problem. Mine is supposed to weigh 19 ounces, but it weighs 25 oz. I have checked it on several scales, and it weighs 25 oz. The comfort makes up for this, but hikers should be aware of this discrepancy.

Trail Bug
04-18-2009, 06:33
The Big Agnes is great. Packs small, easy to blow up, and has worked well during my winter hikes. Mine also weighs 25.625 oz. Not bad for the space you save in your pack. Best feature is it comfortable to sleep on especially as you get older. You will not be disappointed.

Toot
04-18-2009, 08:24
I'm another convert. My caveat is in the winter, pack a space blanket and put it on top of the mattress under your sleeping bag. That air gets COLD under you and you can't warm it up. The space blanket solves the problem without too much additional weight.

Del Q
04-18-2009, 10:13
I just ordered the Neo Air by Thermarest, wish I had it a month ago in Virginia, light weight, packs small, seems to be the new latest & greatest. I have a few Big Agnes bags, not sure if this will fit in sleeve but can use underneath. BA pads are heavy relative to this - to me, less weight on my back and in my belly are primary focus towards less pain and longer miles!!!

Alli
04-18-2009, 11:57
Well even if they weigh 25 ounces that's still 9 less than my therm-a-rest original plus it stuffs way smaller.

Wags
04-18-2009, 12:00
i'm not a thru hiker so i cannot comment on the 'hassle' of blowing it up night after night for months on end. but i can comment on how much of a beneficial difference it is to wake up on as opposed to the blue wally pad i used before it. ahhhh side sleeping. i enjoy mine and find it well worth the 2 minutes it takes to blow up

SlowLightTrek
04-18-2009, 12:30
I used one in 2007. It had a small leak (my fault). The insulated air core model is good to about 35 or 40 degrees F, not 15 degrees like its advertised. Had to use a cut down foam pad for insulation when it got cold.

Blissful
04-18-2009, 20:28
BA insulated pad all the way...
And they are great with replacement if needed. I went through three on my hike in '07 - they were the older model though.

Many Walks
04-18-2009, 22:30
Bring your repair kit with an air core. We were winter camping in Iowa and they were great till my wife's mattress sprung a leak and went flat. With a Big Agnes sleeping bag w/o insulation on the bottom, a flat mattress is nothing more than sleeping on the frozen ground on cold plastic. Otherwise it's a great system for comfort if you don't mind the weight.

karoberts
04-19-2009, 00:43
I actually find that blowing it up after a long day hiking is good for my asthma. It is a good breathing exercise. It helps relax and regulate my breathing so I can sleep better.

skinewmexico
04-19-2009, 00:55
My POE Ether Thermo takes 10 big breaths to blow up. You don't want to inflate an air mattress compelty full.

buz
04-19-2009, 10:43
for me, a bony side sleeper, 1.5 inch TR mattress is minimum, and since switching to the BA, like it better, but only to about 30 degrees, then it needs additional insulation between u and the mat, at least for me.

I like mine, but still not perfect. Better, smaller, lighter than my TR

skinewmexico
04-19-2009, 16:41
And a Prolite 4 is so yesterday.......

Tinker
04-19-2009, 21:34
It's comfy for ground sleepers. In case of a flat it's nice to have a back-up pad say, a 3/8" bluefoam. On top it provides insulation, on the bottom it provides protection for the BA pad. It only needs to be torso length. I bought one of the originals 5 years ago. I've only used it a dozen or so times but no problems yet.

Wags
04-20-2009, 15:49
i've been fine below freezing w/ my BA and a 20"x20" blue pad under my torso