PDA

View Full Version : ? on the Greasy Creek Friendly

Tennessee Viking
04-17-2009, 22:51
I was out for a day hike at Little Rock Knob. At Hughes Gap, there was a sign from CC saying the Friendly was temp. closed due to a family matter. Is that pretty recent with the Friendly still closed?

I know the neighbor has had history of posting signs that the Friendly was closed before.

I was going to call her up about parking at the Friendly and do some middle sections of the ridgeline.

fehchet
04-18-2009, 03:43
Cee Cee is open. It is the neighbor doing the bogus sign thing.
I hope to hike in there the evening of May 3.

Lugnut
04-18-2009, 08:31
Why is the neighbor doing this?

Kerosene
04-18-2009, 09:39
Why is the neighbor doing this?Because he's a dysfunctional sociopath with nothing better to do. Seriously.

Tennessee Viking
04-18-2009, 16:00
Cee Cee is open. It is the neighbor doing the bogus sign thing.
I hope to hike in there the evening of May 3.
I just need to do the middle section of the little Iron Mtn. About a .5 mile south of the gap, and a little south of the shelter. Coming up from Tiger Valley isn't bad, but takes longer to connect to the trail.

Mango
04-18-2009, 16:13
GCF is open - no illness, no family deaths, no nothing. Bill the deranged neighbor has been posting signs at GC gap, at Iron Mt Gap, and at Hughes Gap, trying to keep hikers from going there. Cee Cee is doing her best to be a neighbor and keep the hostel open.

Tennessee Viking
04-18-2009, 16:53
That guy is a ????. He is going way too far with this thing.

Rockhound
04-18-2009, 17:50
The neighbor is great. I consider him to be free entertainment. Watching a guy ride around on his lawnmower all day while banging an aluminum bat on the hood is great fun. seriously it would be easy to feel sorry for this sad lonely angry disturbed individual if he was not so hell bent on making CCs life tougher. His actions only draw attention to himself which ironically seems to be the thing he is trying to prevent. I would encourage every thru-hiker to stop there even if it's just for lunch. CC is a very nice lady, loves all the hikers and should not have to suffer due to the actions of her horrible excuse for a human being neighbor.

RadioFreq
04-18-2009, 18:41
I was at CC's the night of 4/10-11 with Pogo, Cascade, Chuckles & Knuckles, Mudflap, Critter and Railroad, among others. At 5am Mr. D was out banging and started up his mufflerless lawnmower. He ran it for four hours....he even stopped to refuel. I was aware of him having done this in the past and had my earplugs ready. I just rolled over and went back to sleep. However there was one very disturbing addition that night to the assault on CC's. No one saw who did it (it wouldn't take a great stretch of the imagination to figure out the culprit) but someone dumped manure into her stream-fed water source during the night. Judicious use of bleach and flushing her pipes solved the problem but this strikes me as a serious escalation of the attacks on her hostel.

CC mentioned something about getting a lawyer to help stop this guy but that can run into some serious bucks. Any hiker lawyers out there want to offer her your services....pro bono, of course.

Doctari
04-18-2009, 21:15
Because he's a dysfunctional sociopath with nothing better to do. Seriously.

No joke!

Sadly there is no "Nuscence law" there so he can do whatever he feels like without fear of law enforcement stepping in.

Point is: Avoid the nut on the hill*. Ignore any "Hostel is closed" signs. Bring ear plugs & a sleeping mask (The nut also shines a spot light or 4 at the hostel all night.) A good sense of humor is also required.

His is the first house on the Left, the Friendly is the first house on the Right from the AT at Greasy Creek gap.

Desert Reprobate
04-18-2009, 22:49
Someone needs to have a talk with that guy. I'd call the cops about the manure trick. It sounds like this thing is escalating.

Elder
04-18-2009, 23:25
If he dumps manure into the water source, call Haz-mat.
They will throww him in jail.

Tennessee Viking
04-19-2009, 01:39
That guy is truly becoming a danger to everyone. There is one thing to be a jerk and make noise all night. But to post signs saying the place is closed. That is money out of her pocket. Then the manure thing that is too far and arrestable. I am sure she can call the Sheriff's office on that complaint.

Flush2wice
04-20-2009, 09:55
I went up there this morning. As you guys have reported it was a stunt by the neighbor. While I was there I met Shepherd, who's been helping out CC. He had a "talk" with Bill a couple days ago and it's been all quiet since then. Let's hope it stays that way.

Rain Man
04-20-2009, 10:52
I went up there this morning. As you guys have reported it was a stunt by the neighbor. While I was there I met Shepherd, who's been helping out CC. He had a "talk" with Bill a couple days ago and it's been all quiet since then. Let's hope it stays that way.

Sorry, but this is not the correct strategy in such a situation. "Letting it go" is the wrong thing to do. Report after report needs to be made to the sheriff, health department, whomever. Then when some straw breaks the camel's back, the authorities can say,-- and can't deny,-- that they've already had X number of complaints.

I see this in my law practice. The victim lets things to, turns the other cheek, whatever, until there is a final blow-up, then feels self-righteous (or victimized) because they've been so forgiving. Problem is, so far as the judge knows, it's just a case of the pot calling the kettle black, because it's a liar's contest and neither side can act self-righteous (without a long and documented and reported history).

Far better method is to report regularly (doesn't have to be over each little controversy). Then down the road, the victim will both be and LOOK like a victim and the coffin will already be nailed shut on the perp.

Don't "let's hope." We know that doesn't work with this neighbor, so that's silly to do. Sorry. Take photos. Make recordings. Take written statements. Send water samples to the State. File complaints so long as he's crossing the line.

All of this is especially true when it's a man "abusing" a woman.

Anyway, that's my free advice and worth ever cent.

Rain:sunMan

Flush2wice
04-20-2009, 12:17
You may be right but they can call the sheriff all they want, problem is he hasn't broken any laws.
Like I said Bill quit making all the racket 3 days ago, after he had a good "talking to".

Two Speed
04-20-2009, 15:39
Flush2wice, I think you're missing a point. Yeah, the screwball in question might settle down. Then again, he is a screwball, so there's no telling what he's likely to do next. Having the paper trail in case this crap lands in court won't hurt a thing and might avoid a bunch of BS.

Safari
10-25-2009, 15:53
Hard to believe you people actually encourage other hikers to stay at this lunatic asylum... anyone who is not forewarned of the maniac neighbours actions during the night (yes, blaring music & the lawnmower in the early hours, hard on a tired hiker needing sleep) should not be expected to part with dollars for the pleasure of witnessing this charade... Sorry folks, but CC needs to do a little more than just hand out ear plugs and expect everyone to smile and think this is acceptable; passive resistance is obviously not working, maybe time to show some backbone and hardin up Connie & Lou...easily the worst, most bizzare & regretable stay so far on my thru hike. What a nut house.
Pardon me for not expressing a positive opinion and save the liberal bleeding heart comments.

Lone Wolf
10-25-2009, 19:21
Hard to believe you people actually encourage other hikers to stay at this lunatic asylum... anyone who is not forewarned of the maniac neighbours actions during the night (yes, blaring music & the lawnmower in the early hours, hard on a tired hiker needing sleep) should not be expected to part with dollars for the pleasure of witnessing this charade... Sorry folks, but CC needs to do a little more than just hand out ear plugs and expect everyone to smile and think this is acceptable; passive resistance is obviously not working, maybe time to show some backbone and hardin up Connie & Lou...easily the worst, most bizzare & regretable stay so far on my thru hike. What a nut house.
Pardon me for not expressing a positive opinion and save the liberal bleeding heart comments.

i've never stayed there but i would have no problem with jumpin' the fence and thumpin' that POS. good medicine for sure

Jeff
10-25-2009, 19:29
This problem has gone on for many years and is pretty well known. I would think most hikers know what they are getting themselves into before arriving.

Jack Tarlin
10-25-2009, 19:31
Gotta go with Safari on this one. I have heard from many hikers about problems here, and it's gone on for awhile, i.e. something should have been done a long time ago. I also know of hikers who have avoided the place because of what they'd heard. It would be in the owner's best interest (and the hikers', too!) if something was done to insure that these conditions don't exist next year.

Lone Wolf's suggestion also appears to have merit.

Doctari
10-25-2009, 20:43
I talked to CC's husband (Now X) after they had been open just 2 years, sadly there is no "Public nuisance law" in NC, or Nut Job would have been shut down long ago.
I think my plan would be: stop for a shower, top off my supplies if needed & head back into the woods for a night in my hammock.

I don't get why the hostel owner is letting the bully win here.

If they want to be a AT hostel, either deal with it or move.

pjbarr
11-14-2009, 01:06
i've heard about this a lot before, and next spring i'm actually looking forward to seeing/hearing it first hand.

does this guy not have a job? seems like he devotes a lot of time to this....

Lone Wolf
11-14-2009, 01:08
I don't get why the hostel owner is letting the bully win here.

If they want to be a AT hostel, either deal with it or move.

agree. if i stopped there and this freakin guy deliberately kept me up all nite by mowing, i'd thump his ass. that's just me. most hikers are pacifists though

neighbor dave
11-14-2009, 12:48
i agree with lone wolf, he was veeery quiet when we were there

Gray Blazer
11-14-2009, 14:33
i've heard about this a lot before, and next spring i'm actually looking forward to seeing/hearing it first hand.

He works at a sawmill and is pretty deaf. Rainman is right. You gotta document everything so when something drastic happens, you have documentation. If you take the law into your own hands, you are likely to get arrested.

We had a nice stay with Connie last summer (it was raining and I'm a pussy when it comes to rain) and we were looking forward to a "show" fom the neighbor. No show that night.

Gray Blazer
11-14-2009, 14:41
Connie's cat.

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/6/2/1/7/093.jpg (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showimage.php?i=35778&original=1&c=member&imageuser=6217)

I just would not tolerate this, either as a hiker or a hostel owner.

Either get rid of the problem or move.

TJ aka Teej
11-15-2009, 12:22
Connie's cat.

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/6/2/1/7/093.jpg (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showimage.php?i=35778&original=1&c=member&imageuser=6217)

Nice kitty!

dmax
11-15-2009, 12:33
A good thump'n will only involve a short stay with free meals and a shower..:cool:

The Weasel
11-15-2009, 13:37
CC should know the following; if anyone wishes to forward this somehow to her, please do:

First, while North Carolina appears to lack a criminal nuisance statute on a state-wide basis, it is almost likely that there is an offense of "disorderly person" that includes this kind of behavior. While the local law-enforcement agency probably has been called, and probably has told her that it is a "civil matter" she should, at minimum, check with both her local government (township or equivalent) and also the county prosecutor both. These will usually be "misdemeanors" but are still serious, and often a prosecutor will do a "warning letter" to someone that may help stop the problem.

Second, the lack of a criminal statute does not mean that a civil court case for "abatement of nuisance" cannot be brought, and historically those are part of the common law, which North Carolina has followed for the last 400 years, more or less. She should consult with a local attorney (nearly every one will provide a free initial consultation) about the issue and make suggestions. Sometimes a letter from an attorney can also help minimize the behavior, and won't cost much.

Third, North Carolina (like most states, although different names are used for the process) has "Civil No Contact" orders that can restrain harassment. They usually do not require an attorney, have a quick hearing date, and are viewed very seriously by judges.

Lastly, before CC launches any legal wars, she should verify with her township government that she isn't violating any local zoning rules by her hostel. If she is, she may find the neighbor closing her down.

TW

Nice kitty!
I think that letting a pet get that obese is animal abuse.

Schuetzen
11-16-2009, 09:39
Looks like a lot of fur to me.

Short Term
11-16-2009, 09:55
We stayed at CC's a few weeks ago. Around 6:00 pm crazy neighbor cranked up his "stereo shack" and his lawnmower. He left the stereo blaring all night...on NPR. Listened to the Greatful Dead hour, some really good bluegrass and jazz all night! Then like clockwork the lawnmower started around 5:00 am. My advice is to have a few smiley face's before bed! But I feel one day....someone is going to jump that fence. The man is #(*$ insane!

ShelterLeopard
11-16-2009, 15:00
I might go there for lunch, but not to sleep. CC sounds really nice and cool, but if she wants hikers to stay at her hostel, she should do something about this guy. Call the sheriff.

Or we could just tie the guy up and shove hiker socks in his face.

ShelterLeopard
11-16-2009, 15:03
A. No person or persons owning, employing or having the care, custody or possession of any musical instrument, radio set, television set, phonograph, Victrola or other instrument, machine or device for amplifying, producing or reproducing sound, shall operate, use or permit to be operated or used such instrument, machine or device in such a manner as to disturb the peace and comfort of the neighboring inhabitants or at any time with louder volume than is necessary for convenient hearing of the persons who are in the room or chamber in which or who are on the premises from which such instrument, machine or device is operated and who are voluntary listeners thereto.

Tennessee law. (Could be just Nashville, but almost all towns have a noise ordinance.)

Slo-go'en
11-16-2009, 15:19
I think that letting a pet get that obese is animal abuse.

Maine Coon cats tend to be large, though this one might be a little bigger than usual.

Last time I was by CC's we dropped down for dinner but camped out at the gap. She's only a few days out of Hot Springs and didn't feel the need for a shower and bunk yet.

pjbarr
11-17-2009, 01:14
i think the hostel is in NC

generoll
11-17-2009, 09:10
so just where is this place? I've sectioned as far as Kincora, but don't recall seeing it.

Rain Man
11-17-2009, 11:29
so just where is this place? I've sectioned as far as Kincora, but don't recall seeing it.

Greasy Creek Gap is between Cherry Gap Shelter and Clyde Smith Shelter (close to Clyde Smith Shelter. There is an area in the GC gap for tent camping and an old jeep road that goes off to the right (if you are NOBO), if you know where to look. It is six-tenths of a mile down to the hostel. Not a bad little hike, actually, though the way is not blazed. Just have to follow the old road and go on faith.

Greasy Creek Gap is 4 miles north of Iron Mountain Gap, if that helps. This info is from the Thru-Hikers Companion.

ShelterLeopard
11-17-2009, 11:32
i think the hostel is in NC

Whoops- I have trouble keeping the NC, TN, and VA hostels straight sometimes...

ShelterLeopard
11-17-2009, 11:33
NC's county noise ordinances are pretty much the same.

paintplongo
11-17-2009, 11:37
It's the work of Wild Bill!!!!!!!

Rain Man
11-17-2009, 13:32
NC's county noise ordinances are pretty much the same.

In that case, how about giving us the quote and citation for her county's noise ordinance? "Pretty much the same" just doesn't cut the mustard in "criminal" matters.

dmax
11-17-2009, 13:48
The police and court system doesn't work the same in these hills as it does in the rest of the country.

sherrill
11-17-2009, 14:21
The police and court system doesn't work the same in these hills as it does in the rest of the country.

True. Where I live too. I'm having noise issues with a neighbor who went to school with a couple of deputies. They only come out when it's "quiet".

ShelterLeopard
11-17-2009, 17:43

True.

Rain Man, do you know what county it's in? I don't know, and am having difficulty finding the specifics because of that.

Gray Blazer
11-17-2009, 18:04
True.

Rain Man, do you know what county it's in? I don't know, and am having difficulty finding the specifics because of that.
Its near Buladean. Iron Mt is behind it. (I have no idea really)

Pedaling Fool
11-17-2009, 18:22
If this is the place in Bakersville, NC, then it's Mitchell Co.

The Weasel
11-17-2009, 22:37
I've posted, about 20 or so post back, the applicable law. I'm surprised no one has passed it on to CC.

TW

ShelterLeopard
11-18-2009, 12:33
Didn't see that Weasel- someone should pass that along.

Rain Man
11-18-2009, 13:29
Didn't see that Weasel- someone should pass that along.

"Someone" ... as in the Weasel? All the contact and location information either of you need is in the guidebooks and online.

Silver Bear
11-18-2009, 13:30
I stayed at Greasy Creek the end of Sept. Connie is a great host. Her neighbor did his music and lawn mower thing however I slept thur most of it.
Connie said she had been thur mediation, but it didn't help.
Even with the distractions I had a very pleasant stay.

ShelterLeopard
11-18-2009, 14:03
"Someone" ... as in the Weasel? All the contact and location information either of you need is in the guidebooks and online.

As in someone (anyone) who's irritated about this guy. I've never been to this place, so I sure am not gonna be the one to call. How weird would that be?

The Weasel
11-18-2009, 18:34

RM:

There are others here who clearly know CC and have a relationship with her who may feel comfortable passing my thoughts on to her. Other people may or may not welcome receiving an unsolicited letter in the mail from a lawyer from out-of-state. Those who know the lady and have a good regard for her can judge, better than I, if my ideas merit being given to her, and should feel free to do so.

TW

ShelterLeopard
11-19-2009, 11:30
RM:

There are others here who clearly know CC and have a relationship with her who may feel comfortable passing my thoughts on to her. Other people may or may not welcome receiving an unsolicited letter in the mail from a lawyer from out-of-state. Those who know the lady and have a good regard for her can judge, better than I, if my ideas merit being given to her, and should feel free to do so.

TW

What Weasel said.

That's what I was thinking- it'd just freak me out if someone I didn't know called me up and said "here's what to do."

Seatbelt
01-05-2012, 13:52
Hate to beat on a dead horse, but is this problem still present? I plan on hiking thru here this spring and was just curious about an update?

Slo-go'en
01-05-2012, 14:36
Hate to beat on a dead horse, but is this problem still present? I plan on hiking thru here this spring and was just curious about an update?

Considering how many years this has been going on, I doubt anything has changed and will not end until the guy next door passes away.

CC's is only a few days north of Hot Springs, so the last couple of times I passed through there, I just drop down to say hello and for a meal, then camp up at the gap.

Seatbelt
01-05-2012, 16:27
i've never stayed there but i would have no problem with jumpin' the fence and thumpin' that POS. good medicine for sure

How big-a-boy is he??

RD Mercer

CrumbSnatcher
01-05-2012, 16:43
How big-a-boy is he??

RD Mercerbig don't spell bad

SCRUB HIKER
01-05-2012, 19:22

It was still happening as of last May, although I was there on a night when the guy wasn't doing anything. I had a pleasant stay there and would have enjoyed it even if there had been problems. I found one of Connie's signs, one of the ones intended to be for hikers 200 yards away from the trail turn-off, stashed into a hole in a tree 3 miles north of that. I'd recommend what someone else said and stopping in when you go by, even if it's just for a bite to eat, just to stick it to the psycho neighbor dude.

Rasty
01-05-2012, 20:05
I think alot of people try to support businesses that are being targetted by bad neighboors. If the hostel closes then he wins. That offends many peoples sence of fair play.

Manure in the water supply is going to be illegal in almost every area.

Gray Blazer
01-06-2012, 08:16
How big-a-boy is he??

RD Mercer

He's old and he's deaf (works at a sawmill). He's playing that loud music all the time, so you could easily sneak up on him. You just gotta look out for the dogs.

Seatbelt
01-06-2012, 11:15
Thanks for all the responses; after I hike thru there, I will try to remember to post another update.

Blissful
01-06-2012, 21:28
He drove around on his 4X4 at 4 AM shining his headlights at the outside hostel (according to the owner) when I was staying inside the fall of 2010. I didn't care, I had in earplugs and slept fine.