PDA

View Full Version : Cheap threads?

grrickar
06-06-2004, 15:21
I am gathering gear for my hikes, and I wondered if anyone had any good tips on cheap clothing that is good for hiking. Some of the stuff is really expensive, and I can see easily spending way more money on clothes than I did on gear. I have some fleece layers I use when kayaking, but I do not have rainwear or 'breathe-ables' like cool max, etc. The majority of it seems really expensive at online retailers, and no local shops carry stuff like that besides Dick's.

BTW, why is there such a variance in price on things between shops? I have been longing to get a Brunton Optimus Nova stove, and REI and Campmor carry them for more than $120! I found a respectable business that is selling them online for $85.95. What gives???

I couple bucks difference is to be expected, but $30-$40 bucks! Wow! I can only hope thereare online retails with good deals on clothing like that!

Groucho
06-06-2004, 15:51
[QUOTE=grrickar]I am gathering gear for my hikes, and I wondered if anyone had any good tips on cheap clothing that is good for hiking. Some of the stuff is really expensive, and I can see easily spending way more money on clothes than I did on gear. I have some fleece layers I use when kayaking, but I do not have rainwear or 'breathe-ables' like cool max, etc. The majority of it seems really expensive at online retailers, and no local shops carry stuff like that besides Dick's.
QUOTE]
Target has some short-sleeve polyester shirtsby Prospirit. Look for something called "Beyond Cotton" $7-$8. Compare favorably with the Duofold Coolmax shirts I got from Campmor, and the Coolmax stuff seems to pill even more easily than the Target stuff. Target also had some hiking poles cheap. I didn't check these out very well, and I'm sure they don't have the guarantee that a Leki does. You might check there for other stuff. I didn't have time to check it out thoroughly.

You might check out Sierra Trading Post for deals on more expensive stuff; but, as you noted, prices can vary a lot.

Ebay has some good stuff. I got a Mountainsmith Pursuit pack for $79.

Dances with Mice
06-06-2004, 16:41
I am gathering gear for my hikes, and I wondered if anyone had any good tips on cheap clothing that is good for hiking.

Background: I used to advise a group of teens in a BSA program called "Venturing". My Crew included kids of millionaires (literally) and kids from a trailer park who paid for their share of food with WIC vouchers. My "schtick" was to ferret out inexpensive camping gear for year-round trips in the N. Georgia mountains, mainly AT section hikes. Some kids could and did buy mega-expensive, Everest-ready, 'Editor's Choice', name brand camping gear. You ain't never seen gear heads like teenaged gear heads. I'm not making this up - a few years ago a yo-yo fad swept through the area and one boy bought a $100 yo-yo! Just day-yuhm, y'know? I went the other way to level the playing field and tried to make it seem cool to use super-cheap or home-made camping gear. Here's what I found....

Wal-Mart Summer Hiking Clothes - Look for their "Dri-Star" brand shirts, both long and short sleeve. All synthetic, durable, can't beat the performance or the price. For hiking shorts look for swimming trunks with velcro pockets, all nylon. I cut out the mesh liner. For long pants check out the sports warm-up pants, nylon shell with mesh liner. Again, I cut out the liner. Nothing over $10 each, all make perfect hiking clothes. Near the weight lifting section are Naturexx spandex underpants, great for preventing trail rash. Their long sleeve golf shirts, all nylon, make excellent windbreakers and are loose, perfect for layering. The best hiking socks I ever found are in their work clothing section - look for socks made for steel toed boots - all synthetic and reinforced right where they need to be. Might be "Dickies" brand, unfortunately they only come in white & gray but the performance can't be beat and the price is something like $3 per pair.

Wal-Mart Winter clothing - They have both polypro & multi-layer synthetic long underwear but you have to get there early in the season. They only receive one shipment and when it sells out they don't restock. Excellent stuff, but it goes fast. Their hunting section has great fleece gloves, fleece vests, warm knitted caps, winter socks, and balaclavas. This often goes on sale after hunting season and they'll still have a good selection. There's nothing wrong with getting a bright orange fleece vest for $8, I still use mine. The warm-up pants with the synthetic mesh liner not cut out are excellent cold weather pants.

In the fishing section they'll stock O2 rainwear - bright yellow breathable polypropylene. Ask "Yellow Jacket" about it, I guess.

Colder Weather clothing - Check out Lands End down vests and jackets.

tlbj6142
06-06-2004, 23:19
In the fishing section they'll stock O2 rainwear - bright yellow breathable polypropylene. Ask "Yellow Jacket" about it, I guess.O2 rainware rocks in terms of breathability (defined as moisture movement from inside to outside) department. But don't take them off-trail. The yellow outer layer is the WB stuff. And is very, very thin. They (Rainshield) also makes a "blue" version which is more durable (triple layer). Very similar to Frogg Toggs I'm told.

I don't think Wal-Mart is going to re-stock them unfortunatley. At least the 2 near me don't. If yours still has them buy them. I just bought the last size L jacket at my store for $8. I was planning on buying/making a pair of wind pants (I rarely wear long pants for 3-season stuff), but my L rainsheld pants are only 3.8oz. For the few times I wear long pants they are great. And frankly I could care less if I look like a dork. Figure it keeps people from striking up a conversation.

Check out 2nd hand stores (thirft stores, etc.) in your area for other stuff. I buy all of my kids bp clothing from Once Upon a Child. They haven't let me down yet. Make sure you search the stores closest to the yuppie parts of town as they tend to stock "better" (?) stuff.

If you shop closeouts/sales (www.sierratradingpost.com (http://www.sierratradingpost.com/), www.northernmountain.com (http://www.northernmountain.com/), www.rei-outlet.com (http://www.rei-outlet.com/), and some stuff at www.campor.com (http://www.campor.com/) and www.prolitegear.com (http://www.prolitegear.com/)) it is possible to fully stock a naked hiker for a thru hike with $300 (maybe less if your lucky) and keep their base weight to less than 15#. With $500 you just might be able to do 10#. But you have to be patient.

Maybe we should start a couple of "Killer Triples" threads. Bag, Pack and Shelter for < $200 and combined weight of 10# or less. <$400 and 8# or less ,etc. And let folks add "current" great deals they have found. Pack volume of 3000-3600ci (50-60L), bag rated at 20-25F and a shelter with bug protection (not just a headnet drapped across your face). Include ground cloth (if a tarp), stakes, poles, guylines in weight and cost.

Pencil Pusher
06-07-2004, 04:23
Wow, thanks for the good read on walmart. I do like to shop cheap. Try http://www.thru-hiker.com for clothing and gear you can actually make yourself, for cheap. Also, http://www.rockywoods.com is another do-it-yourself website.

Shoe Leather Express
06-07-2004, 09:12
I hate polyester shirts. They make my whole body smell like a stinky pair of feet after a day of hiking.

Try stores like Wal-Mart, K-Mart, and Value City to find silk shirts on clearence. Nothing beats a silk shirt for hiking. I paid three bucks for one at Value City.

Also try second hand stores (Goodwill, Salvation Army), especially for fleece sweatshirts.

tlbj6142
06-07-2004, 09:32
I hate polyester shirts. They make my whole body smell like a stinky pair of feet after a day of hiking.I have the same problem. I have read that wool shirts don't have this issue. But I haven't confirmed this myself as superfine merino wool shirts (Smartwool, Ibex) are a bit expensive (~$60+).

I'll have to give silk a try. Are these street grade silk shirts, or are they some sort of silk base layer (like silk long johns)?

Shoe Leather Express
06-07-2004, 09:41
The one I bought was a button up, long sleeve, dress shirt without a collar. I took a pair of scissors and hacked off the sleeves at the elbows. (Why not, it was only 3 bucks! :D)

bobgessner57
06-07-2004, 22:49
Yellow Jacket:
I have had a duofold merino and coolmax? (or other wicking synthetic) for several years, henley style, bought for maybe 12 bucks on sale from Sierra Traders or Campmor. Have seen same thing this past winter at Sierra Traders.
Works great, no odor problems, warm as 2 toasters.

My kids and I have also used thrift shop Pendleton wool shirts and various light and medium wool sweaters. The lighter shirts and sweaters are competive with fleece weight and I think warmth wise.

****Current deal at Sierra Traders- Granite Gear Virga pack, all sizes $64.00

Deb
06-09-2004, 11:00
Yellow Jacket has an interesting idea: How cheap and light can you get for under $200?
Not long ago when I first became interested in hiking the AT my situation was go cheap or don't go at all. I assembled a pack, sleeping bag, pad and tent for $72, all new, total weight 8 lbs. 4 oz.
1. Pack: Outdoor Products Repel backpack from Campmor, $30, 2980 cubic inches and still available. With light loads you can remove the aluminum stays and it only weighs 2 lbs. 12 oz. To me, an incredible value. 2. Sleeping bag: Coleman fleece bag from Wal-Mart w/ stuff sack, $14, 1 lb. 14 oz., rolls up really small. To supplement: space blanket, Wal-Mart, $2, 2 oz. 3. Pad: Ridgerest, $12, 48", 8 oz., on sale at Dick's. 4. Tent: This is my favorite item, an Ozark Trail kid's tent, Wal-Mart, $14, 4 feet X 5-6. This is plenty of room for me (I'm 5-2) and my pack. It weighs 3 lbs. and is great for hot weather - the front is one big door/bugnet. This tent stood up to a downpour even before I waterproofed and seamsealed it.
This package is what it is. It's not for thru-hiking. I have done a dozen multi-day adventures on the AT with it and didn't find anything lacking. Except my fitness.
Outfitters? I love them. I just can't afford them.

grrickar
06-09-2004, 23:52
I picked up three shirts at Campmor on closeout for about $24 tonight. They have limited sizes in their Duofold shirts, so I picked up two short and one long sleeve, for less than I could buy one Oakley or Nike coolmax shirt at Dick's Sporting Goods. I can use these hiking, biking, or just working out in the gym. Nothing is better than owning something that is useful in more than one sport/hobby...

Still looking for cheap raingear. My local Wal-Marts only carry Stearns PVC suits. :rolleyes:

Shoe Leather Express
06-10-2004, 06:14
Still looking for cheap raingear.

Columbia Storm Catcher Jacket (http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=39152109&memberId=12500226) - $34.97
Columbia Thunderscout Pants (http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=38551217&memberId=12500226) - $29.95

TOTAL = $64.92

or:

Red Ledge Thunderlight Pants (http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=12906862&memberId=12500226) - $29.99
Red Ledge Thunderlight Parka (http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=3192609&memberId=12500226) - $49.99

TOTAL = $79.98

or:

RainwearTM Sporting Jacket with Pants (http://www.upnorthstore.com/rainshield.html) - $70 (and free shipping)

or:

Frogg Toggs (http://www.froggtoggs.com/catalog%20page.html) - $74.95

Alligator
06-10-2004, 09:24
You can find cheaper Frogg Toggs than the above. The original suit is $59.95 and the pullover top/suit is $49.95 at
Granite Outdoors (http://www.graniteoutdoors.com/catalog.0.html) .

Lilred
06-10-2004, 10:25
You can find cheaper Frogg Toggs than the above. The original suit is $59.95 and the pullover top/suit is $49.95 at
Granite Outdoors (http://www.graniteoutdoors.com/catalog.0.html) .

Frogg Toggs can be found cheap at Sports Academy too, if you have one nearby, check it out. I think they are around the fifty dollar mark. I got mine there. I also picked up some midweight long underwear there for 12 bucks. They've got some good deals.

Pennsylvania Rose
06-10-2004, 11:23
Anyone out there who lives in the SW PA, northern WV, western MD, or eastern OH areas should check out Gabriel Brothers. They have twenty or so stores that sell only name-brand overstocks and seconds. You never know what you'll find there (the have everything from Sax Fifth Avenue evening wear to pots and pans and they sell whatever manufacturers are getting rid of at the time), but over the years on my visits home I've found: warm mittens with a Gore-Tex outer shell for $3, Duofold mid-weight long underwear for $2 a piece, Sierra Designs waterproof/breatheable rainjacket for $19.99, various Columbia hiking shorts and shirts for less than $5, Thorlos for $2.99, etc. You have to check everything carefully for flaws, but 80% of their stuff is in perfect condition. Actually, I buy most of the clothes my family wears there. It means I save $$$$ and only have to shop when I'm with my shop-a-holic Mom.

Shoe Leather Express
06-10-2004, 12:10
Anyone out there who lives in the SW PA . . . should check out Gabriel Brothers.
Always my first stop, but I didn't mention it because it's pretty much local. I've scored a ton of Nike stuff for fractions of what it costs in sports stores.

tarbubble
06-10-2004, 12:38
thrift stores. eBay. resale forums (like here and over on backpacking.net). garage sales. REI Scratch & Dent sales. Target & Wal-Mart. REIoutlet.com. SierraTradingPost.com.

all of these are good ways to gear up for cheap. be willing to get older models. on eBay, get smart about how you search for an item. be willing to buy something that's damaged but easily fixed. you can also make your own stuff. if you can sew a straight line, you can make a tarp or a basic tent. the thru-hiker.com link above is a great resource. here's a few of my greatest cheapskate scores:

REI down jacket for $10 at Salvation Army. it's a fug-ugly teal, but who cares? it puffs up warm & wonderful.

Patagonia Synchilla snap-neck pullover, $4 at Salvation Army. it's yellow, but once again i don't care.

vintage 3/4 length Therm-a-rest, $3 at Goodwill.

20-degree down bag, $30 on eBay. nobody else bid on it because there was a tear in the hood. it took me about 10 minutes to stitch it up.

Eddie Bauer 3400 cubic inch internal frame pack, $24 on clearance at Target. with some trimming, it weighs 3.5 pounds, not too shabby.

REI Alpine pack, $10 at an REI Scratch & Dent sale. it had a buckle missing, which REI then ordered for me at no charge.

homemade alcohol stove - cost me a roll of flue tape and some JB Weld.

grrickar
06-13-2004, 00:08
Today was my day I guess. I picked up a new Optimus Nova stove off eBay (I have been bidding on them for weeks now, happened to get this one at a good price), I got the MSR Miniworks EX filter I bought off eBay a week ago, and I found O2 rainwear at the local Wal-Mart!

2XL hooded yellow 3M propore rain jacket, XL yellow 3M propore rain pants. There were maybe one large of each left on the shelf, so I feel very fortunate to find this stuff.

Yellow Jacket swears by it, and I picked this up on his advice. I had all but given up finding it.

My other find was Repel Lemon Eucalyptus insect repellent (no DEET) at $2 a pump bottle on the closeout aisle a week ago. The stuff works.

I'm most proud of the O2 rainwear find. I bought tops and bottoms for what the Red Ledge top would have cost, which is what I had been considering.

Maybe I can paint black stripes on mine and my trailname can be 'Bumblebee' :-?

O2 rainwear :banana

SWEEEEEET

Thanks to all for the advice.
Now, onto boots/shoes. Anyone distance hiking in New Balance trail shoes? I would think that they would be perfect for summer - lightweight and breathable.

Wolfpaw
01-02-2006, 02:14
hey is old navy fleece the same as expensive fleece or are there several types of fleece that I am unaware of?

Doctari
01-02-2006, 11:22
My list & where I got it (& if I remember, the cost):
2 White Blaze tee shirts, alternately a hiking shirt & sleeping shirt $15.00 ea.
Lightweight(ish) wool kilt, homemade, about $8.00 for the material.
Swim/town shorts. Big Lots, $5.00 I think, maybe less.
Ball cap: My closet, free (inital cost probably about $5.00)
Rain jacket, PBS auction, $15.00
Rain Pants, GOB sale local outfitters, $10.00 (I have never worn them as rain pants, they are my town/laundry pants)
Socks: Wool, on sale: K-mart / Wal-Mart / Walgreens / outfitter / etc.

Winter stuff:
Merano wool sweater vest / Local thrift store, $2.00
Poly long johns, K-Mart, I think about $25.00 for the pair.
Wool gloves, gift.
Hat & scarf, homemade, $4.50 for the yarn.

Shop around, just because it dosn't say "for hiking" dosn't mean it can't be used as such. AND, just because it says "for hiking" really don't mean it is the best item for the job. For a great example of this philosophy, search WB for "alcohol stoves" & see that soda cans were decidedly not made for use as a stove.

My "rule": shop Big Lots first, then thrift stores, then "the marts" then I go to: catalogs & local outfitters.

Doctari.

weary
01-02-2006, 12:02
Start at Goodwill. In Maine, at least, LL Bean gives returned goods and some discontinued items to Goodwill every Thursday -- or the last time I checked it was Thursday. The Portland Goodwill tends to have the best assortment. But it also goes quickly because people have learned the secret.

Also in Maine Reny stores often have LL Bean and other major brand name discards for half price.

LL Bean factory stores also have good buys, especially when the stores are also advertising a sale.

Patagonia Stores -- usually an expensive outfitter -- also has periodic half price sales.

Avoid fads. Last year's stuff -- that 12 months ago was being touted as the best and the lightest -- can often be found at bargain prices to make room for this year's "best and lightest." Keep in mind that 3,000 people started the trail with last year's versions and most were more than happy.

Remember also, that that old faithful cotton, is both cheap and perfectly safe and okay for summer wear on the trails. Cotton even has benefits of its own. It doesn't build up the stink of sweat, like synthetics do. And for the same reason it's not recommended for winter wear (sweat buildup makes you cold) cotton tee shirts help dissipate summer heat.

FWIW, I haven't bought any special hiking clothing in years. I buy and wear for hiking the same stuff I normally wear doing chores around the house.

Among the major suppliers Campmor has good prices and often has sales of last year models.

Even the LL Bean regular stores and catalogs are good places to look. LL Bean rarely has the lightest stuff, or state of the art stuff, but everything it sells tends to be extremely well made and sturdy. And Bean's return policy can't be best.

Finally, one can get all the clothing one needs at Walmart. I dislike Walmart for political reasons. But I rarely can pass up a bargain. So whenever I stop to buy 18# bags of cat food for $2 off the supermarket prices for my cat herd, I wander through the camping, hunting, fishing and outdoor sections to see what interesting things are being offered.

Weary

max patch
01-02-2006, 12:24
I wore cotton t-shirts (I'm a runner and have enough to last a lifetime) and a wool rag sweater I got at a discount store on my thru and did just fine.

Think Earl or Ed Garvey wore expensive designer "hiking clothes" on their first hike?

awol
01-03-2006, 21:34
Bass Pro has Redhead "lifetime" socks for $10. Expensive at first but if tou happen to be close to Bass Pro they exchange them no questions asked. I bought four pair five years ago and work in them daily 9 moths out of the year as well as hike

kyhipo
01-04-2006, 09:17
dont get cought up in all the fancy gear I like to have good boots,tent or other shelter sleeping bag,clothes thrift shops,goodwill plenty of good deals,salvation army,I also like to buy good socks,save your money for good food and other goodies,ky

LIhikers
01-04-2006, 19:09
Don't forget about second hand shops. Not only have I found good hiking clothes there but I've bought a couple of packs there too.

dudley
01-06-2006, 09:35
Yesterday..
Salvation Army... Timberland leather boots... like new condition.... $4.00