PDA

View Full Version : access to trail

Bear Cables
04-18-2009, 18:43
I am looking at the John Muir Trail by wilderness press and thinking that a good section might be Rush Creek to Happy Isles. Any input on this? Also what is the trail head access closest to this section?

Helmuth.Fishmonger
04-20-2009, 10:30
"good section" in what respect? what are you looking for?

Rush Creek is not very easty to get to, however, coming from Agnew Meadows (a bus stop on the road into Devil's Postpile, you can pick up the PCT which will get you to Thousand Island Lake and Rush Creek pretty quickly (much faster than the JMT from the Postpile). Any approach from Owens Valley below Rush Creek will take at least as much time, not have the same grand view you get from the PCT as you head north towards Yosemite, and cause you some logistic problems (how to get there...).

On your left hand side as you head north on the PCT from Agnew Meadows - very gradually gaining elevation with a view, while the JMT over there on the other side of the valley is a roller coaster trail with soft pumice before you get to the lakes, making some trail sections feel like walking on the beach.

http://didnt.doit.wisc.edu/outdoor/gallery/JMT1990/Day%2002/slides/131_peaks_above_the_muir_trail_west.jpg

Spirit Walker
04-20-2009, 10:42
Thousand Island Lakes is one of the most beautiful wilderness areas I've ever visited. If you go from Yosemite to Red's Meadow, you pass through some gorgeous country, including Thousand Islands Lakes and can get the shuttle (or walk) out to Mammoth, where you should be able to catch a bus. Start at either the Valley or Tuolemne Meadows, depending on how much time you have.

Bear Cables
04-20-2009, 16:31
Thousand Island Lakes is one of the most beautiful wilderness areas I've ever visited. If you go from Yosemite to Red's Meadow, you pass through some gorgeous country, including Thousand Islands Lakes and can get the shuttle (or walk) out to Mammoth, where you should be able to catch a bus. Start at either the Valley or Tuolemne Meadows, depending on how much time you have.

Thanks, I'll get a look at it on the map. I want to keep the trip to around 40 miles and we don't hike fast. Not into mega mile days. Maybe try for that milage in 5-6 days.Also thought it better to hike into Happy Isle instead of 6000 ft out of the valley.

Bear Cables
04-20-2009, 16:34
"Rush Creek is not very easty to get to, however, coming from Agnew Meadows (a bus stop on the road into Devil's Postpile, you can pick up the PCT which will get you to Thousand Island Lake and Rush Creek pretty quickly (much faster than the JMT from the Postpile)."

So start at the PCT and then hook up to the JMT and into Yosemite?

Helmuth.Fishmonger
04-20-2009, 17:38
"Rush Creek is not very easty to get to, however, coming from Agnew Meadows (a bus stop on the road into Devil's Postpile, you can pick up the PCT which will get you to Thousand Island Lake and Rush Creek pretty quickly (much faster than the JMT from the Postpile)."

So start at the PCT and then hook up to the JMT and into Yosemite?

yes, PCT for about 8 miles (ballpark guess, cut over to JMT at Thousand Island Lake, then over Donohue Pass to Tuolumne Meadows, down to Happy Isles.

Not my favorite part of the JMT, but if you want to see Yosemite, this is a good route.

here's a quick and dirty map of the route

http://didnt.doit.wisc.edu/outdoor/muir2008/maps/Agnew_Meadows_Happy_Isles.jpg

Bear Cables
04-20-2009, 18:20
yes, PCT for about 8 miles (ballpark guess, cut over to JMT at Thousand Island Lake, then over Donohue Pass to Tuolumne Meadows, down to Happy Isles.

Not my favorite part of the JMT, but if you want to see Yosemite, this is a good route.

here's a quick and dirty map of the route

http://didnt.doit.wisc.edu/outdoor/muir2008/maps/Agnew_Meadows_Happy_Isles.jpg

What would you recommend for a 40 -35 mile seciton?

Helmuth.Fishmonger
04-21-2009, 15:02
What would you recommend for a 40 -35 mile seciton?

ignoring trailhead and transportation issues, I'd go from Florence Lake to Taboose Pass, over Muir Pass and Mather Pass. Logistically, this is insane, though.

Another high country option is part of the popular "High Sierra Route," not to be confused with the epic "Sierra High Route:" (http://www.onthetrail.org/OTT/shr.html)starting at Onion Valley Road end, over Kearsarge Pass to Forester and out over Mount Whitney is about 40 miles. Transportation not so bad with the trailheads on the same side of the Sierra. You go up to Kearsarge Pass, past Bullfrog Lake and soon pick up the JMT. Over Forester Pass to the west slopes of Mount Whitney, up to the summit and down to Whitney Portal. About 40 miles and about the only way to do the summit without having a permit reserved already. there is an exit quota at Whitney, though, so that may delay your start date for the permit.

Another good one: Start at Reds Meadows resort on the JMT (bus to the trail, the only place you see pavement on the JMT other than start finish and Tuolumne Meadows). Head south on the JMT over Silver Pass, Bear Ridge, Marie Lakes, Sally Keyes Lakes, down to the valley the Muir Trail Ranch sits in (could resupply there, but you're only a day away from exit), head east on the JMT to the bridge over Piute Creek where Kings Canyon NP begins, but follow the trail up Piute Creek to a fantastic high basin, before crossing Piute Pass heading down to the road end at North Fork Bishop Creek. Transportation from there to Bishop could be as easy as asking somebody for a ride.

For Yosemite, I'd start at Tenaya Lake, head over Clouds Rest, maybe do a quick side trip to Half Dome, then up the Merced River Valley to Vogelsang Hihg Sierra Camp, over the pass at Evelyn Lake into Lyell Canyon, back to Tuolumne Meadows on the JMT, from there back to Sunrise High Sierra camp where you leave the JMT heading west to the trail that took you to Clouds Rest from Tenaya Lake. Back to the lake and your car - no transportation issues, and when you're done you've seen some prime Yosemite backcountry. Spend the night on Couds rest (see thread on can't miss campsites). Personally, I prefer the southern Sierra - higher, more ruggest, less people, but you gotta see Yosemite if you haven't been there yet.

Could go on but much of what is great country is so hard to get to that a 40 mile trip doesn't justify the hassle it would be to get there. The whole point of those places is that they are so extremely remote.

Bear Cables
04-22-2009, 10:51
Thanks for the input on the different routes. I will look at these. I am sure any would be great!