PDA

View Full Version : Advice on a destination

Engine
04-18-2009, 19:44
I am lucky enough to have May 5th through the 12th off from work and I was hoping for some ideas on a destination for a 5 day trip. We are getting a bit tired of the same destinations and I'm starting to feel like GSMNP is old hat, so I figured I'd see what everyone thought. Here are the criteria:

1) Preferably a loop route, since an out and back goes against my sense of adventure.

2) A days drive to the trailhead from central Florida, maybe 550 miles max. We will be driving up on the 5th and starting the hike on the 6th.

3) A distance long enough to average 12-15 miles per day for 5 days. No resupply is required, I already have food purchased for a 5 day trip. We will hike out on the evening of the 5th day and drive home after a motel stay that night.

4) Challenging terrain. It doesn't have to be filled with PUDS, but some mountains are required.

I have heard there is a loop that takes in the BMT, AT, and another trail I hadn't heard of. If anyone might be familiar with this and it fits the bill, please let me know.

Thanks in advance,

Engine & Caboose :D

Egads
04-18-2009, 19:50
One option is to hike the AT / Duncan Ridge Trail loop

Another is the AT / BMT and any two connector trails in GSMNP (yes, I know old hat)

Engine
04-18-2009, 19:56
One option is to hike the AT / Duncan Ridge Trail loop

Another is the AT / BMT and any two connector trails in GSMNP (yes, I know old hat)

The majority of the BMT in GSMNP is the old Lakeshore trail and while very scenic, I've done it like 3 times. I had thought about going from Fontana over to Gregory bald, north around Cades cove and back over the AT ridgeline to the BMT and back. There are plenty of campsites and not many people in that area (away from the cove of course), but I'm just hoping for something new.

I think the Duncan Ridge Trail loop was what I had heard about, is it a nice trip?

bigcranky
04-18-2009, 20:34
Does it have to be a loop? There are plenty of great 5-day hikes in Georgia and North Carolina if you are willing to park somewhere and get a shuttle to your starting point, then walk back to the car.

Let's see, 60-75 miles, right? The Nantahalas are about 60 great miles. Leave the car at Fontana Dam and get shuttled to Winding Stair Gap. That hike includes some great balds, as well as the drop into and climb out of Nantahala Gorge.

The AT through Georgia is nice in May. You could park at Amicalola Falls State Park, and get a shuttle to Dick's Creek Gap, then hike south to your car. Including the Approach Trail, that's about 75 miles if I recall correctly.

The shuttles cost money, of course. I happen to think they are worthwhile, but then I am trying to section hike the whole thing.

Good luck and have a great hike.

Engine
04-19-2009, 06:47
Does it have to be a loop? There are plenty of great 5-day hikes in Georgia and North Carolina if you are willing to park somewhere and get a shuttle to your starting point, then walk back to the car.

Let's see, 60-75 miles, right? The Nantahalas are about 60 great miles. Leave the car at Fontana Dam and get shuttled to Winding Stair Gap. That hike includes some great balds, as well as the drop into and climb out of Nantahala Gorge.

The AT through Georgia is nice in May. You could park at Amicalola Falls State Park, and get a shuttle to Dick's Creek Gap, then hike south to your car. Including the Approach Trail, that's about 75 miles if I recall correctly.

The shuttles cost money, of course. I happen to think they are worthwhile, but then I am trying to section hike the whole thing.

Good luck and have a great hike.

We are doing Springer to Fontana in late September to mid October this year. I was hoping to not repeat too much of that if possible.

Hikes in Rain
04-19-2009, 07:37
For my five day, hopefully coming up aya about the same time, I'm also driving up from Florida. Curtis at Standing Bear (where I'll leave the car) near I-40 is shuttling me over to Sams Gap at I-26 for a five day walk back, if I can keep up that pace. Southern Balds, two fire towers, really old shelters, Hot Springs and Max Patch!

I'm leaving on the 8th. Maybe we could share a shuttle?

bigcranky
04-19-2009, 08:54
We are doing Springer to Fontana in late September to mid October this year. I was hoping to not repeat too much of that if possible.

OK. Sam's Gap to Davenport Gap is nice (though it took me more than five days.) Another choice would be to park in Erwin, TN and get a shuttle to Kincora/Dennis Cove Road. I think that's about 70 miles. Great section.

Hikes in Rain
04-19-2009, 08:58
OK. Sam's Gap to Davenport Gap is nice (though it took me more than five days.)

Uh oh! :eek:

Engine
04-19-2009, 09:50
For my five day, hopefully coming up aya about the same time, I'm also driving up from Florida. Curtis at Standing Bear (where I'll leave the car) near I-40 is shuttling me over to Sams Gap at I-26 for a five day walk back, if I can keep up that pace. Southern Balds, two fire towers, really old shelters, Hot Springs and Max Patch!

I'm leaving on the 8th. Maybe we could share a shuttle?

The 8th wouldn't work for me as I have to be back on the 12th, but it would have been great to car pool. Not sure if I want to hike with someone who's trail name is Hikes in Rain though. :eek:

I will put some thought into an AT section north of Davenport Gap, that might be the way to go. Thanks for the advice everyone!

Hikes in Rain
04-19-2009, 10:03
I'm (in)famous for breaking the 98-01 drought of record. Did a three day section through Georgia at a time when the hiking clubs were leaving bottles of water for hikers, and it rained every day, all day. *sigh* Then there were the two hurricanes and three tropical storms that hit Pensacola, just because I was in project construction mode.

My time is pretty inflexible, as well, with a new phase of my program going live in July. Still lots of prep to do. Darn, my wife would have been a little more comfortable if someone were heading along the same route with me. Ride and shuttle sharing would have been nice, too. Perhaps next time?

Engine
04-19-2009, 10:16
I'm (in)famous for breaking the 98-01 drought of record. Did a three day section through Georgia at a time when the hiking clubs were leaving bottles of water for hikers, and it rained every day, all day. *sigh* Then there were the two hurricanes and three tropical storms that hit Pensacola, just because I was in project construction mode.

My time is pretty inflexible, as well, with a new phase of my program going live in July. Still lots of prep to do. Darn, my wife would have been a little more comfortable if someone were heading along the same route with me. Ride and shuttle sharing would have been nice, too. Perhaps next time?

By all means, keep us in mind for future journeys. :)

bigcranky
04-19-2009, 11:45
Uh oh! :eek:

Yeah, but we did that section in March after a winter layoff from hiking. And we're old and out of shape. We drove out on a Friday, got the shuttle in the afternoon, and hiked in south from Sam's Gap about 4 miles or so the first day. Then we did 13+ to Jerry Cabin Shelter, 15+ to Spring Mountain Shelter, 11 to Hot Springs, took a zero day, then 13+ to Walnut Mountain Shelter, 13 to Groundhog Creek, and finally 7+ to Standing Bear Farm. So the hike took eight days, but two of them were half days and one was a zero day.

Still, those were long days for a section hiker who is not in trail shape. I got my butt kicked on several of them. Some solid climbs in that section -- but it's a great part of the Trail.

Hikes in Rain
04-19-2009, 13:15
Actually sounds a lot like what I have planned, minus the zeros and half days. I'm hoping to average around 15 miles a day, but like you were, I'm not quite in hiking shape. (Heck, I'm not really in that great a shape, unless you count round!) Too many long days at the office, not enough running when I get home. Oh well, we'll see. At least, it's a pretty place to hike slowly, and I am heading toward the car so I have no real deadline.

I'm sorta planning to hike in to Big Flat after Curtis drops me off, then to that spring after Big Firescald. (That's gonna be a long day, if I do make it.) Then to Rich Firetower, resupply in Hot Springs and on to Deer Park, Max Patch and Standing Bear. Pretty ambitious, but we'll see how it goes.

That 9 hour travel time up and back is a real killer for these types of trips.

Hikes in Rain
04-19-2009, 13:18
And it just occurs to me I'm hijacking Engine's thread! Sorry, my friend. Chalk it up to still trying to recruit you! (yeah, he'll buy that)

Engine
04-19-2009, 13:21

That 9 hour travel time up and back is a real killer for these types of trips.

That's kind of a shootdown for me. I can't leave the house until 3 pm on the 5th and for me it would be an 11 hour drive. Get to a motel at 2 am, get up at 6 for breakfast and an early start, ughhh! I used to do stuff like that when I was younger, but I enjoy my rest a bit too much now. That's why I kind of limit the distance to 550 miles or an 8 hour drive when I don't have much extra time for a trip.

Hikes in Rain
04-19-2009, 13:30
I agree wholeheartedly! Wisdom and experience (which some seem to mistake for age) have taught me the error of my ways. I don't mind hiking in a few miles or so after driving up, to get a little bit of a jump start on the hike. But your 11 hour one, gee, that'd be a killer.

erichkopp
04-19-2009, 18:08
Hey Hikes in Rain, I go to school in Tallahassee and have been looking at doing a similar trip for the summer. I might be interested in accompanying you if you're interested.