PDA

View Full Version : garbage bag liner

mark schofield
04-19-2009, 07:38
Hi all, any recommendations on a good brand name and size of a liner for a 4000 cu in pack. Like hefty bag or some type of compactor bag. It's time to upgrade from the thinner economy ones I usually use I use at home. Something that might last a month or so. I'm thinking 20 or 30 gallon size would be about right, but I'e never bought one specifically for a pack. Thanks for your thoughts. Mark S

Tinker
04-19-2009, 07:49
I recently purchased some lawn bags (clear) from Shaw's (local supermarket chain) which are a good balance between strength and weight. Unfortunately, I've lost the box that they came in so I can't give you a brand name.
Gossamer Gear markets some pack-specific ultralight plastic bags which are supposed to be very strong, but I haven't tried them yet since they're fairly expensive.
Maybe this http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/bpl_pack_liners.html
is what I was thinking of.

Turtle2
04-19-2009, 12:00
Look in your local Wally World for "Trash Compactor" bags. They are about the right size. Plenty large for my 3600 ci pack. Last ones I bought came 20 in a box. I changed it out every couple of months on my hike. Worked well.

kayak karl
04-19-2009, 12:07
Hi all, any recommendations on a good brand name and size of a liner for a 4000 cu in pack. Like hefty bag or some type of compactor bag. It's time to upgrade from the thinner economy ones I usually use I use at home. Something that might last a month or so. I'm thinking 20 or 30 gallon size would be about right, but I'e never bought one specifically for a pack. Thanks for your thoughts. Mark S
i use contractor bags from Home Depot. work for a 4400 cu in pack.

Lyle
04-19-2009, 13:23
Any of the puncture resistant trash bags work fine. Glad Force Flex, Heafty Ultra Flex. etc. I don't line my entire pack, just bag the must stay dry stuff like clothing, sleeping bag, electronics. Don't really care if my stove fuel, stove, cooking pots, sleeping pad, etc get a little damp.

take-a-knee
04-19-2009, 19:28
Look in your local Wally World for "Trash Compactor" bags. They are about the right size. Plenty large for my 3600 ci pack. Last ones I bought came 20 in a box. I changed it out every couple of months on my hike. Worked well.

Hefty brand compactor bags from walmart work for me. I only keep my quilts/clothing inside the bag and twist the top closed and stuff it down between the pack and the outside of the liner.

astrogirl
04-19-2009, 20:26
Hefty brand compactor bags from walmart work for me. I only keep my quilts/clothing inside the bag and twist the top closed and stuff it down between the pack and the outside of the liner.

That's exactly what I do too.

mark schofield
04-21-2009, 08:35
Thanks guys; I'm off to wally world for the big purchase. Mark S.

Rain Man
04-21-2009, 10:16
That's exactly what I do too.

I'll ditto Astrogirl's ditto. Just plain ol trash compactor bags, brand name or store brand. Tough and WHITE, so you can see down into your pack! Plus, it's multi-purpose.

It's what my daughter used on her thru-hike. Gave up on a pack cover pretty quickly, as did I on my section hikes.

Rain:sunMan