PDA

View Full Version : Where to hike before I die

Bootstrap
04-19-2009, 07:40
I have no particular plans to die soon, but I'm turning 50 this year, and I find myself making lists of things I'd like to do before I die.

I'm very glad I hiked the Grand Canyon, I have a list of places I have hiked or intend to hike in North Carolina or the Appalachian Trail. What else goes on that list? What is spectacular enough to see that I really shouldn't miss it?

The photos of the John Muir Trail make me think it belongs on that list. I suspect the Benton McKaye Trail is enough like the Appalachian Trail that it isn't a dramatically different experience (though it's close enough that I'll probably do sections of it anyway).

What goes on the list?

fiddlehead
04-19-2009, 07:55
Nepal, Tibet, Bhutan, would be on my list if i hadn't been there yet.

50 isn't so old. I hiked 2 thru's, and the Annapurna circuit since i turned 50 as well as many other adventures.

If you are interested in international travel, there's quite a list of awesome places. (Pyrenees, Borneo, Tazmania, New Zealand, Cyprus, Argentina, to name a few more)

If staying in the states, the JMT should be a definte as well as the Wiminuche Wilderness in the South San Juans in CO (much of CO is awesome), Glacier NP (backcountry), as well as many places in UT, AZ, WA, OR, ID and many parts of CA.

Have fun. Don't be thinking that 50 is anywhere near death now.

Big Dawg
04-19-2009, 08:09
Grand Canyon, JMT, Tetons, Yellowstone, Glacier NP, & some CO 14ers have been on my list for a while. I'm sure I could come up w/ many many more here in the states if I started googling national parks, trails, etc. And of course the list would grow exponentially if my scope broadened beyond the states. Reality sets back in quickly though... being a new daddy & having a limited bank account balance keep me plugging away on my few AT section hikes per year. Doesn't hurt to dream though, because you never know.:D

hoz
04-19-2009, 08:18
The Wind Rivers in Wyoming.

superman
04-19-2009, 08:27
I want to hike in Scotland and northern UK...from pub to pub.:)

Chaco Taco
04-19-2009, 08:47
The circuit in Nepal! My cousin did it twice and loved it

Egads
04-19-2009, 08:54
The Swiss & Italian Alps

kyhipo
04-19-2009, 09:53
I have no particular plans to die soon, but I'm turning 50 this year, and I find myself making lists of things I'd like to do before I die.

I'm very glad I hiked the Grand Canyon, I have a list of places I have hiked or intend to hike in North Carolina or the Appalachian Trail. What else goes on that list? What is spectacular enough to see that I really shouldn't miss it?

The photos of the John Muir Trail make me think it belongs on that list. I suspect the Benton McKaye Trail is enough like the Appalachian Trail that it isn't a dramatically different experience (though it's close enough that I'll probably do sections of it anyway).

What goes on the list?go to the sequoias,ky

Engine
04-19-2009, 10:01
I have always thought Ireland would be a great trek, but New Zealand and some of the lesser traveled areas of Africa really call as well. I have yet to hike in Glacier NP, Banff, or Yosemite and they are high on my list. The PCT, CDT, Colorado Trail, LT, BMT are all on the list also. Thus far, the greatest trip we've taken was in Yellowstone up Lamar valley and east into the Hoodoo basin. It was a magical experience and true wilderness as a ranger stated that less than 20 people a year get back to that area. We awoke more than once to the sound of wolves howling within a mile of the tent...:sun

Jim Adams
04-19-2009, 10:47
On the AT- Roan Mt. to Elk Park, McAffey Knob to Tinker Cliffs, the complete Presidentials in the Whites and all of Maine....just a thought.

In the USA-JMT

geek

SlowLightTrek
04-19-2009, 10:56
Big Bend National Park (Texas)
Zion, Bryce, Arches, and Canyolands (Utah)
Superstion Wilderness and Grand Canyon Tonto Trail (Arizona)

JAK
04-19-2009, 10:57
Before I die there are still a few skirts I would like to hike up.

Ladytrekker
04-19-2009, 11:21
Went to Moab, Utah last year a must town for adventurous people, hiking, whitewater, kayaking, mountain biking, road biking, 4 wheeling, rock climbing, the entire small town has this mindset. And is surrounded by 3 National Parks and the must see Dead Horse Point State Park.

Spirit Walker
04-19-2009, 11:28
I agree about visiting southern Utah, also Glacier, most definitely the Canadian Rockies (Banff, Jasper, Waterton), Alaska (hike the Resurrection Pass Trail, Denali NP and/or do a fly in multiday hike), Thousand Island Lake in the Sierras, the Beartooths, the Winds, parts of Yellowstone (Electric Peak, the Bechler, Eagle Pass), Teton Crest Trail in GTNP, the San Juans in southern Colorado . . .

Snowleopard
04-19-2009, 12:29
Cordillera Blanca, Peruvian Andes: I've been there, most beautiful place I've ever seen.
http://www.panoramio.com/photo/7102399
Tien Shan (Mountains of Heaven), Khazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan and Sinkiang (China).
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3010/2883465268_51c81e8101.jpg?v=0

Places I want to go if I can ever afford to:
Kamchatka, Russia
Caucasus Mountains, Russia, Georgia, etc. Too dangerous now (think Chechnia).
Antarctica.
Ellesmere Island.
Greenland.

Easier and cheaper:
Newfoundland.
JMT
Canadian Rockies.
trekking in Iceland.

Easy to get to and recommended:
Adirondacks
Cape Breton

Shutterbug
04-19-2009, 12:36

What goes on the list?

The Wonderland Trail encircles Mt. Rainier. The beauty is unbelievable. September is the best time to hike it.

My pictures are still available here: http://www.naznet.com/mcclung/wt/index.html (Well, I see that one of the albums was on Image Station which has closed down. I will repost them.)

mikec
04-19-2009, 12:58
The Pacific Crest Trail and the Continental Divide Trail. Not all of them but I hope that I get to do at least a section on them.

Bootstrap
04-19-2009, 15:07
50 isn't so old. I hiked 2 thru's, and the Annapurna circuit since i turned 50 as well as many other adventures.

Nah, I don't think that for a minute. My father was 71 when he did the Grand Canyon with us. But I do think I have to squeeze the rest of my hiking career into the next 25 years or so, and I'm making some lists.

If you are interested in international travel, there's quite a list of awesome places. (Pyrenees, Borneo, Tazmania, New Zealand, Cyprus, Argentina, to name a few more)

Oddly, Tasmania is the only place I've hiked on this list, but I loved it. Spent a week there once after a business trip to Melbourne, and the canyons and waterfalls and rain forest were awesome.

If staying in the states, the JMT should be a definte as well as the Wiminuche Wilderness in the South San Juans in CO (much of CO is awesome), Glacier NP (backcountry), as well as many places in UT, AZ, WA, OR, ID and many parts of CA.

Nice list here, and I've done none of this. I'll respond to other people's lists when I get more time, have to get some things done today first!

Jonathan

Bootstrap
04-19-2009, 15:08
I want to hike in Scotland and northern UK...from pub to pub.:)

I suppose that's the kind of hiking I'll do when I'm 75 ... a little premature for that now, though ;->

boarstone
04-19-2009, 15:35
Tetons, Colorado Trail, Train ride from Montreal to British Columbia, any and everywhere out west.

EverydayJourneyman
04-19-2009, 17:05
The Wonderland Trail encircles Mt. Rainier. The beauty is unbelievable. September is the best time to hike it.

My pictures are still available here: http://www.naznet.com/mcclung/wt/index.html (Well, I see that one of the albums was on Image Station which has closed down. I will repost them.)

I did the Wonderland Trail in 2007. Absolutely brilliant.

hoz
04-19-2009, 17:58
Went to Moab, Utah surrounded by 3 National Parks and the must see Dead Horse Point State Park.

We once passed through Moab around the middle of August. I knew the Perseid meteor shower was peaking and we asked a local where we could camp away from lights, he sent us up to Dead Horse Point.

At one time we counted over 100 meteors in an hour. The sky was a shooting gallery that night.

Feral Bill
04-19-2009, 18:41
Denali NP Alaska. Basicaly no trails, get a permit for an area and wander wherever. Fantastic wildlife. Briing good bug gear, this is one place I would not go with a tarp.

The Weasel
04-19-2009, 18:51
Among the top 10 - in the world - would have to be hiking the Whitney Portal approach to Mt. Whitney, and then going to the top. That's my goal for 2010: The highest spot in the Continental United States. The top of the High Sierra, able to see more of American than anywhere else.

The Weasel

Jayboflavin04
04-19-2009, 23:25
Holy crap it is a "Hikers Bucket List".....

Ox97GaMe
04-19-2009, 23:57
Glacier, Tetons, Yellowstone, RMNP.

I also REALLY enjoyed Canyonland and Arches NP near Moab UT. I went out there in late Feb. Wouldnt want to be there in summer.

Worldwide
04-20-2009, 16:01
I would suggest the Playboy Mansion Trail. Great views ( o ) ( o ) and awesome swimming in the grotto!

tenbeer
04-20-2009, 16:04
Nepal, Tibet, Bhutan, would be on my list if i hadn't been there yet.

Thanks for the inspiration, I will be 50 in September. Keep on keepin on.

Jayboflavin04
04-20-2009, 16:18
Tenbeer if you can get a copy of the March Backpacker Magazine. It gives a overview of the Annapurna Curciut. I wanna do it!!!! Start in rainforest and by day three or four you are surrounded by 20,000 ft peaks.

I am 33 and I am workin on my "Hiker Bucket List" The Himalayas are definitely on my list. Except I am not planning on checkin out anytime soon.

lilypond
04-20-2009, 18:18
no mountain views, but the Batona Trail in New Jersey is an interesting change. If you need to get back in shape, it is a good place to get used to carrying a heavy pack before adding the challenge of uphill climbs.

Bootstrap
04-20-2009, 18:21
The Bucket List idea was very much on my mind. My father has been given less than a year to live, he's working through his own bucket list, on a shorter time line.

buff_jeff
04-20-2009, 19:09
Hawaii has some neat stuff. Mauna Loa is cool.

slow
04-20-2009, 20:19
FL due to wildlife,not so many huts:D no poles,and you see slim on your hike.

Jayboflavin04
04-21-2009, 07:21
The Bucket List idea was very much on my mind. My father has been given less than a year to live, he's working through his own bucket list, on a shorter time line.

I feel like a heel:datzInsert muddy hikin boot in mouth. I wish you two some wonderful experiences in your remaining amount of time.

Bootstrap
04-21-2009, 11:35
I feel like a heel:datzInsert muddy hikin boot in mouth. I wish you two some wonderful experiences in your remaining amount of time.

Oh, don't feel like a heel, I didn't mean it that way.

My father is doing his own bucket list together with my mother, who is not a hiker, so they are limited to relatively accessible places. But I'm developing my own bucket list for the next several decades.